Horizon Forbidden West climbing the Steam top sellers list. |UP| Releases on Steam with lower player count than Zero: Dawn.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Today HFW had a 40.5K CCU peak, more similar to the HZD one:

image.png
image.png

90.14% positive user reviews from people who bought codes in any store, 93.76% positive when looking at the units sold in Steam only.

In other words, the PC port is not expanding the playerbase, as everyone interested already got it on PS. Which means PC ports are useless.

Basically what everybody has been saying since the first PC ports.

Horizon Zero Dawn sold in PC over 3.3M units as of over a year ago (Feb. 2023 as I remember) according to the Insomniac leaks, and obviously didn't stop selling back then. Current sales must be higher.

On PS, HFW had similar/slightly better launch window sales to HZD until included in PS+, but in case of GoWR and Spider-Man 2 sales of the sequels were way better than GoW 2018 and Spider-Man 1. Both even broke historical sales records for PS exclusives.

So yes, PC ports of old games are expanding the playerbase even if not massively. Because obviously late full priced ports don't sell much and take time to sell.

With Helldivers 2, being a day one (and $40) PC release, sales are the pretty much the same in PS and PC. Obviously not being an old game helps to sell better in PC.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's a great piece of software lol, it's the most comprehensive platform in the industry with the best policies. What a weird take.
And yet there is this attitude of “if it’s not on Steam, I won’t buy it,” which is, as I said, ridiculous.

And no it’s not a good piece of software. It’s slow, clunky, ugly, and a glorified launcher. In fact I’d call it a steaming pile.

Hey, maybe that’s why it’s called Steam.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
And yet there is this attitude of “if it’s not on Steam, I won’t buy it,” which is, as I said, ridiculous.

And no it’s not a good piece of software. It’s slow, clunky, ugly, and a glorified launcher. In fact I’d call it a steaming pile.

Hey, maybe that’s why it’s called Steam.
I think it's an awful launcher.

Every time I open it, it opens an invasive popup with an ad. Plus opens the store as default page instead of my library to let me choose the game I want to play. Plus when I close the game or the launcher it doesn't really closes, it contines in the hidden icons of icons.

And pretty frequently is even slower to load because of updating the app and its outdated UI sucks.

I don't understand why companies don't have better PC launchers. I think someone should make a great launcher with a great console-like UI very fast to load and use, with non-intrussive stuff, that doesn't autolaunch and really closes when closed by default, and that would unify all the other PC launchers, cloud services plus emulators.

Even better: making it compatible to run it only with a gamepad in a tv or arcade cabinet, and making it compatible with Linux, Mac, Android and Raspberry Pi.

Last edited:

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
So yes, PC ports of old games are expanding the playerbase even if not massively. Because obviously late full priced ports don't sell much and take time to sell.
The game is new for PC gamers, ain't it? Why shouldn't it be full-price? They are getting a "complete" edition, which are also full-price when they launch on consoles years later.

When consoles get PC ports, they also launch full-price. Same when previously timed-exclusive games reach other platforms.

This fake narrative about PS single-player games selling bad on PC because of late ports and pricing is laughable.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
There is no reason why brand new games like Granblue, Yakuza or Persona wouldn’t bitchslap some late pc port of game that anyone who actually cared played did at full price or at a rental fee since ps extra. It’s not Zelda. No one cares about horizon outside PlayStation.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
There is no reason why brand new games like Granblue, Yakuza or Persona wouldn’t bitchslap some late pc port of game that anyone who actually cared played did at full price or at a rental fee since ps extra. It’s not Zelda. No one cares about horizon outside PlayStation.
HZD sold over 3M on PC.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
HZD sold over 3M on PC.

Which is good, if not great. These loons think it SHOULD sell another 20 million on steam. LMAO. And similar should be expected from 2. But at launch? Not a fucking chance. It won’t sell at any better rate as it currently does on PlayStation.

The idea that any of these are flops because most don’t know have a clue what concurrent means is friggin hilarious. It does not equal its concurrent and you’d think they’d learn how trash their estimates are about bullshit multipliers after botching Helldivers estimates and that 60% steam split (cope).

“Bu bu pc ports!” Killing PlayStation… right… lets ignore the gargantuan flop and waste of resources and dev teams that VR2 undoubtedly is as it moves shit for software and Sony too embarrassed to disclose numbers since launch.

Last edited:

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Exactly, that's why it's a waste of time and resources to port PlayStation games to PC while decreasing the quality and quantity of PS releases and alienating the own userbase at the same time.

The idea is growth and expansion in international markets where consoles aren’t dominant as they are in the americas or EU. To expect it to an old game to launch with massive hype as a new release is just bonkers. Especially when console version is exceptional, cheaper and a technical marvel itself and most pc rigs cannot run it at ps5 spec no matter the bullshit master race losers claim.

PC gaming has been around longer than PlayStation. PlayStation still growing to new record heights. I don’t subscribe to pc or steam being competition in the short term when consoles have replaced cable tv boxes in the home environment and PCs not (at this time). I know Jim said otherwise but I’ve always disagreed. Console gamers are not pc gamers.

The only thing that watered down the sales potential of Horizon 2 was being listed on PS Extra. They kneecapped sales to promote the sub (and in hindsight that wasn’t necessary since gamepass is a disaster).

It’s very hard to agree with any narrative that PlayStation is hurting when PS5 is doing what it’s doing and additionally with economic and the world being what is … the industry bloodbath. To succeed now is the biggest win.

Similar difficulties existed during the dawn of the hd era and the casualties of devs that couldn’t transition well and its corresponding recession. Sony is an absolutely resilient company that I honestly believe knows how to read the room accurately and adapt.

Furthermore… there is a possibility of a future where we are only dealing with digital catalogs from companies. Tech could get to a point where yea… it’ll all be built into every device you have and have some kind of synergy. And with that said… they should NOT be resting on their laurels and pc support may facilitate being able to do this one day.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
The idea is growth and expansion in international markets where consoles aren’t dominant as they are in the americas or EU. To expect it to an old game to launch with massive hype as a new release is just bonkers. Especially when console version is exceptional, cheaper and a technical marvel itself and most pc rigs cannot run it at ps5 spec no matter the bullshit master race losers claim.

PC gaming has been around longer than PlayStation. PlayStation still growing to new record heights. I don’t subscribe to pc or steam being competition in the short term when consoles have replaced cable tv boxes in the home environment and PCs not (at this time). I know Jim said otherwise but I’ve always disagreed. Console gamers are not pc gamers.

The only thing that watered down the sales potential of Horizon 2 was being listed on PS Extra. They kneecapped sales to promote the sub (and in hindsight that wasn’t necessary since gamepass is a disaster).

It’s very hard to agree with any narrative that PlayStation is hurting when PS5 is doing what it’s doing and additionally with economic and the world being what is … the industry bloodbath. To succeed now is the biggest win.

Similar difficulties existed during the dawn of the hd era and the casualties of devs that couldn’t transition well and its corresponding recession. Sony is an absolutely resilient company that I honestly believe knows how to read the room accurately and adapt.

Furthermore… there is a possibility of a future where we are only dealing with digital catalogs from companies. Tech could get to a point where yea… it’ll all be built into every device you have and have some kind of synergy. And with that said… they should NOT be resting on their laurels and pc support may facilitate being able to do this one day.

What's the point in seeking growth elsewhere when you disrespect and alienate your actual userbase at the same time?

How did it play out for Xbox?

And wanting a digital only future is the worst possible thing to wish for. Another reason why consoles are so important.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
What's the point in seeking growth elsewhere when you disrespect and alienate your actual userbase at the same time?

How did it play out for Xbox?

And wanting a digital only future is the worst possible thing to wish for. Another reason why consoles are so important.
you're wasting your time, he never argues in good faith

Reactions: arvfab

klomzi

8 Mar 2024
It's very simple, Sony wants more money, they are not making enough money with their currently exclusive strategy that they have used since the first Playstation, making games costs more and more and takes longer time, consoles have also a ceiling.

Sony sees their current exclusive strategy isn't working out for them in today's environment and are now expanding towards PC and mobile to make more money.

Sony is a company in it for making as much money as possible, they are also a publicily traded company so they have to answer to shareholders why they are not making more money.

If Sony sees that they need to put their games on PC/Steam to make more money despite hurting some part of their Playstation playerbase, they will do it.

Sony isn't a charity, it's a company whose sole goal is making money.

Also, being publicily traded (like Sony) and being private with no investors and external shareholders (like Valve) has a lot to say.

Sony has to anser to investors, shareholders, stockholders and what not every fiscal quarter, Valve doesn't. They do whatever they wanna do. Im 99% sure that projects like the Valve Index, Half-Life: Alyx and Steam Deck would not have happened if Valve was a public company like Sony.

Reactions: Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
It's very simple, Sony wants more money, they are not making enough money with their currently exclusive strategy that they have used since the first Playstation, making games costs more and more and takes longer time, consoles have also a ceiling.

Sony sees their current exclusive strategy isn't working out for them in today's environment and are now expanding towards PC and mobile to make more money.

Sony is a company in it for making as much money as possible, they are also a publicily traded company so they have to answer to shareholders why they are not making more money.

If Sony sees that they need to put their games on PC/Steam to make more money despite hurting some part of their Playstation playerbase, they will do it.

Sony isn't a charity, it's a company whose sole goal is making money.

Also, being publicily traded (like Sony) and being private with no investors and external shareholders (like Valve) has a lot to say.

Sony has to anser to investors, shareholders, stockholders and what not every fiscal quarter, Valve doesn't. They do whatever they wanna do. Im 99% sure that projects like the Valve Index, Half-Life: Alyx and Steam Deck would not have happened if Valve was a public company like Sony.

Sony has the superior brand due to quality alone and they intend to grow this recognition. They want to expand and doing exactly such for both their hardware and with steam support.

It doesn’t work for Microsoft because Microsoft … sucks? Can’t make successful software outside of Forza Horizon or consoles worth a shit and gimped themselves by launching last gen series s trash. You think this is because of Pc support?

Nah. It’s because Phil Spencer is a hack.

There is nothing to wish for in a digital future. It is the future. Game retail is 5 feet into its grave already .

Hurting PlayStation? Try saying shit like this when Ps5 isn’t shattering records.

klomzi

8 Mar 2024
Sony has the superior brand due to quality alone and they intend to grow this recognition. They want to expand and doing exactly such for both their hardware and with steam support.

It doesn’t work for Microsoft because Microsoft … sucks? Can’t make successful software outside of Forza Horizon or consoles worth a shit and gimped themselves by launching last gen series s trash. You think this is because of Pc support?

Nah. It’s because Phil Spencer is a hack.

There is nothing to wish for in a digital future. It is the future. Game retail is 5 feet into its grave already .

Hurting PlayStation? Try saying shit like this when Ps5 isn’t shattering records.

Hurting Playstation fans means simply that some Playstation fans get really angry and saddened when PS exclusives are released on other platforms. Happens every time a PS exclusive is announced for PC.

Consoles have a ceiling, PS5 sales shattering records means that the PS5 will reach that ceiling faster.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
you're wasting your time, he never argues in good faith
Jah let him have his opinion no need to point him out. This PC versus console and port conversations really get ppl wound up. I think what alot of ppl post thy might believe even if it's polarizing to others. Just let's stop with the pointing fingers and assuming ppl are arguing in bad faith. If ppl don't agree with others just "ignore" them!!! My god why does no one want to use the ignore feature?

Reactions: xollowsob

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The game is new for PC gamers, ain't it? Why shouldn't it be full-price? They are getting a "complete" edition, which are also full-price when they launch on consoles years later.

When consoles get PC ports, they also launch full-price. Same when previously timed-exclusive games reach other platforms.

This fake narrative about PS single-player games selling bad on PC because of late ports and pricing is laughable.
I think the price is ok. For many PC players, as happens with new games the launch price is perceived as too expensive, but over time will be discounted and they'll buy it then.

On average PC gamers buy later than console gamers, because they are more used to wait for discounts. Meaning, day/week/month 1 sales in PC aren't as important as they are in console.

Sony's PC strategy is to have it as a secondary market where to reach more players and get extra revenue and profit. PC ports cost them around 2M, meaning that selling above 60-80K copies it already is profitable. All their PC ports have been profitable, some of them super profitable.

It's helping Sony's games to generate extra hundreds of milions per year outside PS, it's a very successful and profitable initiative. So they will continue with it.

OP
OP
rinzler

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
Hurting Playstation fans means simply that some Playstation fans get really angry and saddened when PS exclusives are released on other platforms. Happens every time a PS exclusive is announced for PC.

Consoles have a ceiling, PS5 sales shattering records means that the PS5 will reach that ceiling faster.
The problem with the console market is there is no actual growth, it just doesn't exist. What actually takes place and that nobody even takes the time to recognize is dispersion.

Theres seems to be about the same amount of people every generation but on what platform they are dispersed to varies from generation to generation.

Like you said there is a limit to what Sony can generate from within their existing community, and while their revenue can grow within that existing community profits cannot.

This is why I can't take the fanatical fan bases seriously because they exclaim that everything external is going to be the death of PlayStation rather than looking internally and realizing that in fact they are.

The tribalism mindset of nobody else can touch our toys is what leads to the death of a brand or company. Expansion for external profits is the only thing that will keep them alive, and they either can't see that or intentionally act like they don't.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
The problem with the console market is there is no actual growth, it just doesn't exist. What actually takes place and that nobody even takes the time to recognize is dispersion.

Theres seems to be about the same amount of people every generation but on what platform they are dispersed to varies from generation to generation.

Like you said there is a limit to what Sony can generate from within their existing community, and while their revenue can grow within that existing community profits cannot.

This is why I can't take the fanatical fan bases seriously because they exclaim that everything external is going to be the death of PlayStation rather than looking internally and realizing that in fact they are.

The tribalism mindset of nobody else can touch our toys is what leads to the death of a brand or company. Expansion for external profits is the only thing that will keep them alive, and they either can't see that or intentionally act like they don't.
Sony knows this as well which is why they have initiatives and are trying to make inroads in India, Africa and other places looking for growth. India is soundly a 94% mobile market and only a 4% console one. Obviously economies play a big role but you get my point, Sony has brought forward gaming initiatives there because of this.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
It always amazes me the duality on the reasoning I am seeing here: on one hand PC is this insignificant market that is about to die any time soon (40 years dying and counting) on the other is this Boogeyman that killed Xbox (not true) and is about to kill PS because some games are ported years down the line.

I have friends with PS4 and haven't bought a single exclusive. They just knew that after 3 it is 4. And don't buy the PS5 because they don't game that much. People can get tired of gaming.