Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition PC port officially announced releases March 21. PC specifications detailed.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Back to reality:
sony-pc-revenue.jpg
Reality: they've missed their revenue goals every year 😂

DForce

Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
I'm going to predict that this will peak over 80k concurrent players.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Reality: they've missed their revenue goals every year 😂
Still doing this bit after the Insomniac leak is wild. We have a private report by Jim Ryan to Sony Corp not for public consumption from mid 2023 celebrating "Significant Growth of PC" and talking about its importance to the overall growth of Playstation. And by the way, they're doing this to help Playstation.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Still doing this bit after the Insomniac leak is wild. We have a private report by Jim Ryan to Sony Corp not for public consumption from mid 2023 celebrating "Significant Growth of PC" and talking about its importance to the overall growth of Playstation. And by the way, they're doing this to help Playstation.
What bit? Stating objective truths? 🤔 Sorry if that bothers you. And I'm not saying Sony will end PC, I've said the opposite, I'm sure they will continue and expand, but it's definitely not helping PlayStation. Not by any measurable metric.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
What bit? Stating objective truths? 🤔 Sorry if that bothers you. And I'm not saying Sony will end PC, I've said the opposite, I'm sure they will continue and expand, but it's definitely not helping PlayStation. Not by any measurable metric.
other than all the metrics Playstation celebrates in their internal business materials, directing them to place bigger bets on pc expansion they describe in public and private.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
That was the honeymoon phase because it was the first game, it's over now. Each port sells less and less and less and the portbegging in the reviews also seems to go down.

When Sony games first started being ported to PC, literally every single review was "SONY BRING MORE PLEASE!!", and now you see a lot less of that. Which coincides with the decline of game sales. This port is a guaranteed flop and will be lucky to break 1m sales in 2 years, and only with steep discounts.

GBsYvqIXoAARu6Z
Seems you misunderstand the chart, I'll explain it to you:

Insomniac is using it to highlight that Spider-Man sold in 6 months almost the same units than Days Gone did in a year and a half.

They are highlighting the Spider-Man PC port (which back then already generated enough revenue to pay the port, the remaster and to add profit on top) is selling faster than Days Gone and HFW, meaning that very likely will end selling more than them at the end of its sales cycle.

The date under each game is the date where the port was released and the sales are until February 6th, 2023.

Meaning for the 3 ports in the right it only has tracked the first from 3 months and a half to 2 months and a half. Not 2 years and a half like Horizon. And obviously the games released 2 months ago won't have the same sales than a game released 2 years ago because they had way less time. Plus obviously a Sackboy game won't sell like a God of War game because it's a less popular IP.

It's also worth noticing that these 3 releases of the right were released in the span of a month, and in the busiest part of the year regarding releases. Giving more reasons to people to wait to buy these overpriced late ports later in the road and not at launch.
Each port did cost them around a couple millions of dollars but combined these PC ports sold millions of copies and generated hundreds of millions of revenue as shown in the graph shared by @flaccidsnake. Meaning they already generated hundreds of millions in profit to Sony.

So they are a big success for the two most important metrics: revenue and profit. Plus also regarding users:

These millions of units sold also bring their games to new users who can become fans, who later can be further monetized with more PC ports, console hardware/games, PS+ subscription, mobile games, tv shows or movies.

Peanuts in the grand scheme of things. It also includes Bungie revenue.

Hermen Hulst needs to go.
How $450M with a 133% CAGR peanuts when they had this year $1.7B of profit?

Also, why Hermen needs to go? For being the most successful person that PS ever had in that position selling more games than ever, winning more awards than ever and having more teams developing games than ever?

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Seems you misunderstand the chart, I'll explain it to you:

Insomniac is using it to highlight that Spider-Man sold in 6 months almost the same units than Days Gone did in a year and a half.

They are highlighting the Spider-Man PC port (which back then already generated enough revenue to pay the port, the remaster and to add profit on top) is selling faster than Days Gone and HFW, meaning that very likely will end selling more than them at the end of its sales cycle.

The date under each game is the date where the port was released and the sales are until February 6th, 2023.

Meaning for the 3 ports in the right it only has tracked the first from 3 months and a half to 2 months and a half. Not 2 years and a half like Horizon. And obviously the games released 2 months ago won't have the same sales than a game released 2 years ago because they had way less time. Plus obviously a Sackboy game won't sell like a God of War game because it's a less popular IP.

It's also worth noticing that these 3 releases of the right were released in the span of a month, and in the busiest part of the year regarding releases. Giving more reasons to people to wait to buy these overpriced late ports later in the road and not at launch.

Each port did cost them around a couple millions of dollars but combined these PC ports sold millions of copies and generated hundreds of millions of revenue as shown in the graph shared by @flaccidsnake. Meaning they already generated hundreds of millions in profit to Sony.

So they are a big success for the two most important metrics: revenue and profit. Plus also regarding users:

These millions of units sold also bring their games to new users who can become fans, who later can be further monetized with more PC ports, console hardware/games, PS+ subscription, mobile games, tv shows or movies.

How $450M with a 133% CAGR peanuts when they had this year $1.7B of profit?

Also, why Hermen needs to go? For being the most successful person that PS ever had in that position selling more games than ever, winning more awards than ever and having more teams developing games than ever?
You know you're speaking straight nonsense when both @Systemshock2023 and @flaccidsnake are agreeing with you 😂😂😂

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
You know you're speaking straight nonsense when both @Systemshock2023 and @flaccidsnake are agreeing with you 😂😂😂
you have to ignore literally everything playstation is saying internally and externally to continue to claim playstation isn't having success on pc. i haven't seen one statement of reluctance, regret, course-correction from anyone at any level of employment at playstation. at the top, it's full steam ahead. we literally found out a jim ryan will approve any pc port proposal that's emailed to him, and you believe it's going poorly for them.

spiderman and last of us were featured by Steam among their best sellers for 2023. not to mention destiny which remains one of the biggest games on the platform.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
There are three persons (we) who accept the factual sales, revenue, profits and dates data of these PC ports.

There's another one (you) with a different narrative, who doesn't accept these numbers and show a graph to prove such different narrative. But the graph debunks such narrative because says the same than the other three people.

I'd say that if someone is speaking nonsense here aren't us three. We're just believing the oficial numbers, plus the supposedly leaked ones.

• Informative
Reactions: flaccidsnake

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
you have to ignore literally everything playstation is saying internally and externally to continue to claim playstation isn't having success on pc. i haven't seen one statement of reluctance, regret, course-correction from anyone at any level of employment at playstation. at the top, it's full steam ahead. we literally found out a jim ryan will approve any pc port proposal that's emailed to him, and you believe it's going poorly for them.
The only one ignoring reality is you guys, 2m sales for a PlayStation first party AAA game will never ever be good. No matter how much you guys try to make those paltry figures look good, they're simply not, idc if it costs 12 cents to port them or they came 20 years later, these numbers are objectively abysmal. It's severe copium to think otherwise.

Those leaks are all old, from when Sony went full steam into PC without looking before they lept, so bringing it up is irrelevant. If they knew how badly these games were flopping, they'd probably rethink their strategy. You think they're happy they've missed their PC revenue goals 2 years in a row? That Destiny 2 revenue by itself makes more money than all their their genre defining games combined ? And that all 10 of them combined can't even outsell Ragnarok's first week launch? That is some serious cognitive dissonance. And what have they "said publicly"? I've never heard them shout from the rooftops that PC has been a success, matter of fact in the last earnings report, PC wasn't even mentioned once, because there's nothing to brag about.
spiderman and last of us were featured by Steam among their best sellers for 2023. not to mention destiny which remains one of the biggest games on the platform.
And both were colossal flops, which just shows the state of PC gaming. Unless its a PC centric game like BG3, AAA single player games simply don't sell that great on there (until they're 20 bucks or less like Witcher 3). PC is like mobile gaming, it's only good for dumping live service junk onto. Right now the biggest game on Steam is Lethal Company.....which will be dead in a few months. Just like what happened with Battlebit, do you remember that game? I don't blame you if you don't, it was big on PC for a few weeks and then completely died. That's the eternal cycle of PC gamers, they latch on to whatever's popular on Twitch, get bored of it, and then move on to the next hot thing. Which is why the Sony PC ports have been doing worse and worse, because it's not the shiny new toy anymore. PC gamers like me that buy AAA games are niche.

There are three persons (we) who accept the factual sales, revenue, profits and dates data of these PC ports.

There's another one (you) with a different narrative, who doesn't accept these numbers and show a graph to prove such different narrative. But the graph debunks such narrative because says the same than the other three people.

I'd say that if someone is speaking nonsense here aren't us three. We're just believing the oficial numbers, plus the supposedly leaked ones.
You never state facts, just half truths. Sometimes you'll post 10 graphs that have nothing to do with your argument, just so that it looks stronger 😂 I like you Yurinka, but you have zero credibility on this site 🤣🤣🤣

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
You're comparing catalog releases to box office opening day release. It's just wildly off analysis.

PC is a prime time platform for Destiny 2, getting constant updates and day-1 DLC content. It generates huge revenue. Destiny's massive success on PC debunks the cartoon story that PC sales are ruined by copyright infringement. Every Playstation Studio should try to maximize their exposure to the PC audience rather than intentionally devaluing their product for 2 years.

What have Playstation said publicly? Here's what Jim Ryan told investors at a Fidelity meeting in sept 2023:
Jim Ryan said:
We will continue to make first person games like we always have, and we expect those to have slightly greater sales and profitability, reflecting our confidence in the long-term installed base of PS5, as well as the fact that those games will make their way to PC. So, we think that the pie from those games will grow, but that growth will be incremental in nature. We think the live service games will build on that foundation and take us to another level.

• haha
Reactions: anonpuffs
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
You're comparing catalog releases to box office opening day release. It's just wildly off analysis.

PC is a prime time platform for Destiny 2, getting constant updates and day-1 DLC content. It generates huge revenue. Destiny's massive success on PC debunks the cartoon story that PC sales are ruined by copyright infringement. Every Playstation Studio should try to maximize their exposure to the PC audience rather than intentionally devaluing their product for 2 years.

What have Playstation said publicly? Here's what Jim Ryan told investors at a Fidelity meeting in sept 2023:

That's because destiny is an online multiplayer game genius, you have no choice except to buy it. Single player games are heavily pirated 90% of the time.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023

No...I'm comparing YEARS of DISCOUNTED sales to mere days of FULL PRICE sales. You see how obtuse and slimy you're being 😂

The Jim Ryan quote doesn't contradict my other comment in the slightest, that Fidelity investment interview is from 2022 🤦‍♂️ A lot has changed since then. In that interview, he even talked about the 12 live service games....half of which are now cancelled. So yeah, like I said earlier, bringing this stuff up is IRRELEVANT.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
That's because destiny is an online multiplayer game genius, you have no choice except to buy it. Single player games are heavily pirated 90% of the time.
Steam bestsellers of 2023 highly rank (Platinum and Gold tiers) these:
- Cyberpunk 2023
- Baldurs Gate 3
- Hogwarts Legacy
- Starfield
- Armored Core 6
- Resident Evil 4
- Elden Ring
- Red Dead Redemption 2

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
No...I'm comparing YEARS of DISCOUNTED sales to mere days of FULL PRICE sales. You see how obtuse and slimy you're being 😂

ps5 also gets discounted sales. many of the games that sony charged full price to PC players in 2021/2022 were given away for free to ps5 owners in a bundled called the ps plus collection.

eh said:
The Jim Ryan quote doesn't contradict my other comment in the slightest, that Fidelity investment interview is from 2022
🤦‍♂️
A lot has changed since then. In that interview, he even talked about the 12 live service games....half of which are now cancelled. So yeah, like I said earlier, bringing this stuff up is IRRELEVANT.

we since found out he approves pc ports via email.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Those leaks are all old, from when Sony went full steam into PC without looking before they lept, so bringing it up is irrelevant.
You seem to forget that the graph you posted is from 2023.
Even if old, if they are legit they are factual data.

And if a project costs a couple millions but generates dozens of millions that's a very profitable project. Specially when multiplied for multiple similar projects in that initiative gives them hundreds of millions in profit. And even more when that initiative has a CAGR of 133%, when 20% already would be great.

If they knew how badly these games were flopping, they'd probably rethink their strategy. You think they're happy they've missed their PC revenue goals 2 years in a row?
They delayed the Returnal and TLOUP1 ports to the very end of the fiscal year, so they did miss the target of such year for 50M. Millions moved to the next FY.

We know that in the first half of that next FY SIE game revenue outside PS has been over 50% YoY, partly due to this.

That Destiny 2 revenue by itself makes more money than all their their genre defining games combined ?
You don't know what is the Destiny 2 revenue because they didn't disclose it.

And that all 10 of them combined can't even outsell Ragnarok's first week launch? That is some serious cognitive dissonance.
Cognitive disonance would be to expect that full priced ports, some of them released years ago, and all of them being multiple years old when released would outsell the first week of the fastest selling Sony game ever.

They are performing well for what they are.

And what have they "said publicly"? I've never heard them shout from the rooftops that PC has been a success, matter of fact in the last earnings report, PC wasn't even mentioned once, because there's nothing to brag about.
Yes, you heard them because you're talking about them in this thread to reject it, like the graphs and numbers we're sharing here.

As an example, the SIE games revenue outside PS increasing over 50% YoY during the first half of the current FY is something from the last earnings report.

Just like what happened with Battlebit, do you remember that game?
No, I don't remember it.

Which is why the Sony PC ports have been doing worse and worse, because it's not the shiny new toy anymore.
You never state facts, just half truths. Sometimes you'll post 10 graphs that have nothing to do with your argument, just so that it looks stronger 😂 I like you Yurinka, but you have zero credibility on this site 🤣🤣🤣
133% CAGR is the opposite of "doing worse and worse", it shows that they are experiencing a great growth with that investment:

sony-pc-revenue.jpg

But this isn't a fact for you, this graph must be a potato or a cow for you maybe.

P.S.: Notice it says "Top 20 PC publisher in FY22", even if so far they only released a few ports of old games and starting summer added Destiny 2, when acquired.

Considering that there are several dozens of thousands of games of games released on Steam (over 14000 games were released in Steam during 2023 alone), if you think that the top 20 publisher of a fiscal year is doing an awful job achieving top 20 with a few ports of old games and a shooter released in 2017 I wonder what do you think about the other several thousands of publishers who had their games published in Steam that fiscal year and got top 21 or lower.

But who knows, these thousands of publishers don't exist for you either.

image.png

And well, as usual when proven wrong multiple times now you come with (unrelated to the debate) personal attacks. Which means the debate is over and you have nothing else to add.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
This was announced last year in September

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Which means the debate is over and you have nothing else to add.
This is the only correct thing you've said 🤣 Yes, the debate is over. The debate was over the second you guys challenged me. And yes, I have nothing to add because responding to you is a waste of time.