Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition PC port officially announced releases March 21. PC specifications detailed.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
I like you Yurinka, but you have zero credibility on this site 🤣🤣🤣
Gotta be honest with yourself.... how can you like a guy with zero credibility? I know you're trying to be nice to a bser but... it's the anonymous internet, you don't have to - specially with people that insult your intelligence. It's like a slap without the physical contact. Of course you don't have to take it personal cause idiots are a dime a dozen but they don't deserve niceties either. The others are PCMR trolls doing basic trolling - sticks because the policy to port exists and that's that. But if that porting policy were to not exist the trolling from the PC warriors would move on to another narrative.... platform wars involving console and pc warriors existed way before this policy ever existed. And with the trajectory of the market - it's bound to get even worse. Sony just hasn't got the memo yet (more like those in current leadership don't want to read the advanced memo) but they will.....sooner or later.... and the "surprise" will be a thing to behold as the scrambling will then start in earnest - translated to corporate speak: "shift(s) in direction". Whether that point comes about in a "too late" scenario or "salvage" scenario is the question. Sony is playing an assumptions game so as long as their current assumptions of the competitive market structure stay as they're it works in their rationale......as soon as something disrupts and changes the dynamics of those assumptions, they're in trouble. Of course the hubris part is that somehow they got the answer if those assumptions change, with little to no damage (say by limiting exposure) - but that is never how it works out, so, betting on a illusion. It's hard to fight cancer, and fight cultural changes that become ingrained in an organization after a long period of time - hence the forbidden fruit allegory.

Not to mention the bubble around Xbox that appears to be all-consuming - a distraction as always. Consolidating the install base without Xbox in the picture is like the honeymoon euphoria phase before the new normal sets in, and then reality beckons. Picture it: Xbox is out, you got a ~ 150 million new normal install base (more like going back to PS2 trajectory before MS cock-blocked Sony) and the euphoria of "record breaking" has settled. You can no longer hide on that to sidestep answering key fundamental questions. The business incentive structure stays the same. So now you're in the seat with the same old job: to grow the base (beyond ~ 150m), identify, and define competitors and compete in zero sum. Well who are your next direct competitors in line after Xbox? Where are the gaming consumers that consume the very games that are sold on your platform, with similar demographics, whose only difference in purchasing behavior is hardware choice? And how do you steal those consumers away after given them no reasons to do so for such a long time? Surprise surprise, appeasement never works, in anything. Not in business, not in politics, or even basic human to human interaction when interests diametrically oppose each other. That doesn't stop well educated individuals, great minds, from falling for the trap (incentives and circumstances which lead to such policy making varying). Now they can dress their appeasement strategies with whatever cover they wish but it's what it's. Detente's don't hold, and are merely temporary constructs. The real question when in a period of detente is how you come out it after it self destructs (and it will) vis a vis the other side.... regardless of whether you initiate and push for the fallout or the other side does - which is a natural reflection of relative strength.

-----------
Is there a complete version of this game on physical print for PS5? Sorta makes me wait even more on the DLC if that's how it's going to be. They already packed the main game on Extra. Besides, my backlog is packed.

As for the marketing - bench title. Works on PCMR like clockwork - which is why Nvidia does it. After all, Nvidia has to sell their little "consoles" aka graphics cards with something - what a better business model than use the investments and work of others to do it, with none of the drawbacks? This business has no place for suckers.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Gotta be honest with yourself.... how can you like a guy with zero credibility? I know you're trying to be nice to a bser but... it's the anonymous internet, you don't have to - specially with people that insult your intelligence. It's like a slap without the physical contact. Of course you don't have to take it personal cause idiots are a dime a dozen but they don't deserve niceties either. The others are PCMR trolls doing basic trolling - sticks because the policy to port exists and that's that. But if that porting policy were to not exist the trolling from the PC warriors would move on to another narrative.... platform wars involving console and pc warriors existed way before this policy ever existed. And with the trajectory of the market - it's bound to get even worse. Sony just hasn't got the memo yet but they will.... and the "surprise" will be a thing to behold as the scrambling will then start in earnest. Whether that point comes about in a "too late" scenario or "salvage" scenario is the question. Sony is playing an assumptions game so as long as their current assumptions of the competitive market structure stay as they're it works in their rationale......as soon as something disrupts and changes the dynamics of those assumptions, they're in trouble. Of course the hubris part is that somehow they got the answer if those assumptions change, with little to no damage - but that is never how it works out, so, betting on a illusion. It's hard to fight cancer, and fight cultural changes than become ingrained in the organization after a long period of time - hence the forbidden fruit allegory.

Not to mention the bubble around Xbox that appears to be all-consuming - a distraction as always. Consolidating without Xbox in the picture is like the honeymoon euphoria phase before the new normal sets in, and then reality beckons. Picture it: Xbox is out, you got a ~ 150m new normal base, the euphoria of "record breaking" has settled. You can no longer hide on that to sidestep answering key fundamental questions. So now you're in the seat with the same old job: to grow the base, identify competitors and compete in zero sum. Well who are your next direct competitors in line after Xbox? Where are the gaming consumers that consume the very games that are sold on your platform, with similar demographics, whose only difference in purchasing behavior is hardware choice? And how do you steal those consumers away after given them no reasons to do so for such a long time? Surprise surprise, appeasement never works, in anything. Not in business, not in politics, or even basic human to human interaction when interests diametrically oppose each other. That doesn't stop well educated individuals, great minds, from falling for the trap (incentives which lead to such policy making varying). Now they can dress their appeasement strategies with whatever cover they wish but it's what it's. Detente's don't hold, and are merely temporary constructs. The real question when in a period of detente is how you come out it after it self destructs (and it will) vis a vis the other side.

-----------
Is there a complete version of this game on physical print for PS5? Sorta makes me wait even more on the DLC if that's how it's going to be. They already packed the main game on Extra. Besides, my backlog is packed.
I like @Yurinka because he always has a positive attitude and always tries, no matter how wrong he is. And he doesn't have bad intentions either, he's kind of like a cartoon character 😂 Also he's anti Xbox 😎 that's reason enough to like someone, he just needs to stop guzzling the Jim Ryan kool-aid

As for the marketing - bench title. Works on PCMR like clockwork - which is why Nvidia does it. After all, Nvidia has to sell their little "consoles" aka graphics cards with something - what a better business model than use the investments and work of others to do it, with none of the drawbacks? This business has no place for suckers.
Yep, while also having insane profit margins. They don't even make the GPUs, except founders editions, they just license it out to 3rd party AIBs and keep most of the money. It's genius but took decades of rnd

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Honest me says you're naive on that take, and I have my reasons. My other side says, well that is his opinion so just let it be.

I will say this: Xbox, the console, is not the problem, and gamers in general enthusiastically gave Xbox an honest chance before this general trend of rejection built up over the years. There is no disliking Xbox for being a console that somehow challenged the dominant. The problem is the mothership behind Xbox - Microsoft. You can't separate one from the other in a practical sense but you can do so theoretically to illustrate the point. The poster is not "anti-PC", and you'll be surprised at the affinity. You can't separate PC (in its current construct as a MS led consortium) from Microsoft likewise.

Fanboy-like lens focused on the Xbox bubble hinder proper critical thinking.

Last edited:

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Another brand failure from Jim Ryan. PS5 is already starved for first party as it is. Until the PC acqusition that is Nixxes is gone they will continue the devaluation of Playstation.

• they're_right_you_know

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
From previous ps ports to pc, likely wont start seeing sales until notable price drops. Those dudes spend thousands on their rigs but will never buy games anywhere close to full price. Wait till its like $20 or less

• fire
Reactions: Muddasar

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
From previous ps ports to pc, likely wont start seeing sales until notable price drops. Those dudes spend thousands on their rigs but will never buy games anywhere close to full price. Wait till its like $20 or less
That is, if they pay at all. 🏴‍☠️🌊

Most probably see these games as tech demos for their expensive GPUs.

• they're_right_you_know
  • fire
Reactions: Umar and Muddasar

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Yeah I'm not going to lie, PC sales have been very low, but it's not entirely surprising.

Mentioned this before but people talk about 130m monthly Steam users, but a lot of PC gamers have weird tastes and play niche genres, plus they're tight, only looking to buy during deep sales.

If you release games like HFW a couple of years later at £60 sales are going to be mediocre. Funnily enough GT7 and Bloodborne would be the most popular ports but they're not coming.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Imagine someone else ports a 4 or 10 years old game and sells it at $60. And after almost a year barely discounted it a few times.
On PC it's a new game and we have "new releases" which look and play worse than these "old ports", but also ask full price. They usually also come with new options or as "complete" editions in comparison to their first release on console.

They also have to price it in such a way, that they look/are highly discounted during the inevitable Steam sales.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
On PC it's a new game and we have "new releases" which look and play worse than these "old ports", but also ask full price. They usually also come with new options or as "complete" editions in comparison to their first release on console.

They also have to price it in such a way, that they look/are highly discounted during the inevitable Steam sales.
Yes, I assume this is their reasoning for the pricing and it makes sense. In fact Nvidia shown the upcoming HFW port to showcase their new Nvidia tech, meaning that Nvidia considers it one of the best looking games.

I assume Sony is happy with the results because they don't change it for new releases and barely discount / price cut them.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
That is, if they pay at all. 🏴‍☠️🌊

Most probably see these games as tech demos for their expensive GPUs.

I would propose that Engagement Guidelines 5.14 be amended to prohibit this line of commentary:

1. It's incredibly superficial/wrong analysis
2. Every gaming platform has copyright infringement
3. Copyright infringement is a concern for publishers rather than player communities
4. Emulation is rightly celebrated by players and is understood to broadly rely on copyright infringement
5. It's just trolling

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Yeah I'm not going to lie, PC sales have been very low, but it's not entirely surprising.

Mentioned this before but people talk about 130m monthly Steam users, but a lot of PC gamers have weird tastes and play niche genres, plus they're tight, only looking to buy during deep sales.

If you release games like HFW a couple of years later at £60 sales are going to be mediocre. Funnily enough GT7 and Bloodborne would be the most popular ports but they're not coming.
the best selling Steam games of 2023 totally refute this. Baldurs Gate never had more than a 15% discount during the winter season, and is a top 5 best seller of the year.

none of the top selling Steam games of 2023 are "niche genres", they're all basically the same top sellers on other platforms. Games like Cyberpunk, Starfield, Call of Duty, Hogwarts Legacy, etc.

i agree that releasing ps games on pc 2 years late at $60 is detracting from sales. this is straightforward. and sony internal materials show they are happy with the growth in revenue from those catalog releases. they could stick with this approach and get a consistent 10-20% boost to LTD sales. or they could release day and date pc ports and probably get 40-60% growth, which would greatly enhance Playstation's first party publishing capacity.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
We know sony games don't sell on pc. Even hogwarts sold much less on pc.
Pc gamers whine the most and pirate the game.
Not worth the effort to put it there honestly... but I will give it a pass. Horizon1 had amazing aloy ... mods...

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
the best selling Steam games of 2023 totally refute this. Baldurs Gate never had more than a 15% discount during the winter season, and is a top 5 best seller of the year.

none of the top selling Steam games of 2023 are "niche genres", they're all basically the same top sellers on other platforms. Games like Cyberpunk, Starfield, Call of Duty, Hogwarts Legacy, etc.

i agree that releasing ps games on pc 2 years late at $60 is detracting from sales. this is straightforward. and sony internal materials show they are happy with the growth in revenue from those catalog releases. they could stick with this approach and get a consistent 10-20% boost to LTD sales. or they could release day and date pc ports and probably get 40-60% growth, which would greatly enhance Playstation's first party publishing capacity.
I'm not saying all the best-selling games on Steam are niche, but when you look at the Steam most played charts it kinda speaks for itself, i.e. a lot of f2p/live service rubbish. Current top ten for example:

1.Counter-Strike 2
2.Dota 2
3.PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS
4.Baldur's Gate 3
5.Grand Theft Auto V
6.Apex Legends
7.Rust
8.Team Fortress 2
9.Monster Hunter: World
10.Call of Duty

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

You realize that pirated games don't show up on steam stats right? Being on top of the steam charts means nothing as we don't get numerical sales, nor do we have stats for how many pirated the games. Yes, occasionally PC games will sell a lot. They tend to be from established franchises, or $20 indies. Yet those $20 indies are heralded as huge successes when they hit a couple million sold; for example "Sons of the Forest" had multiple days of articles for hitting 2 million sales on a userbase of > 100million PCs. You tell me how that compares to, say, God of War selling 11 million at full price in a month on a single console platform.

24 Jun 2022
you have to ignore literally everything playstation is saying internally and externally to continue to claim playstation isn't having success on pc. i haven't seen one statement of reluctance, regret, course-correction from anyone at any level of employment at playstation. at the top, it's full steam ahead. we literally found out a jim ryan will approve any pc port proposal that's emailed to him, and you believe it's going poorly for them.

spiderman and last of us were featured by Steam among their best sellers for 2023. not to mention destiny which remains one of the biggest games on the platform.

Jim Ryan literally said that PC is a competing platform for PlayStation.

Also @Yurinka you, flaccidsnake & @Systemshock2023 wanting this full push for PC are also saying you want PlayStation to go through the same identity death spiral we've seen Xbox suffer through the past 8 or so years. I don't get how you can be a fan of PlayStation as a console platform but think the current PC push should continue in earnest or even accelerate to Day 1 for non-GaaS content.

And if you're totally fine with the 1-2 year gap, there's little reason to believe you wouldn't "suddenly" be okay with a smaller gap if leadership at the division said that's what they'd do. Because IMO you're less taking up a POV with your own independent beliefs, but rather just saying whatever fits the corporate narrative from up top. Kind of what we've seen people on another platform regularly do and only now are some of them balking against it, knowing the significance of recent rumors.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Speak for yourself, I never cared about day and date releases of first party games on PC. As long as the PC port is good they can take their time to release them. I even think it was a mistake to release PS5 only games on PC this early. Should have cleaned the PS4 back catalog first

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Jim Ryan literally said that PC is a competing platform for PlayStation.

I've seen this thread:

When I google any version of "I would say the pc platform is a very direct competitor to the playstation platform" I either get no relevant results or I get the link back to Icon Era. Without any sourcing or context (until proven otherwise, very possibly fabricated), I don't think this alleged statement comes anywhere close to dispelling the unambiguous statements of support from Ryan. Sourced statements with clear language such as "the more the better" or "it’s a fairly straightforward decision for us to make".

Also @Yurinka you, flaccidsnake & @Systemshock2023 wanting this full push for PC are also saying you want PlayStation to go through the same identity death spiral we've seen Xbox suffer through the past 8 or so years. I don't get how you can be a fan of PlayStation as a console platform but think the current PC push should continue in earnest or even accelerate to Day 1 for non-GaaS content.

And if you're totally fine with the 1-2 year gap, there's little reason to believe you wouldn't "suddenly" be okay with a smaller gap if leadership at the division said that's what they'd do. Because IMO you're less taking up a POV with your own independent beliefs, but rather just saying whatever fits the corporate narrative from up top. Kind of what we've seen people on another platform regularly do and only now are some of them balking against it, knowing the significance of recent rumors.
I've been a Playstation fan since 2002. There is no singular Playstation Identity. Playstation has always evolved with the times, and I've always enjoyed the evolution. You seem to think only one ~3 year window represents Playstation for all time, and I question that kind of fandom.

I never said I'm fine with a 2 year gap. I've always been explicit that I think Playstation games should be day 1 on Steam.