Horizon wins its first GOTY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It's #8 with forced bundles where people essentially weren't able to buy a PS5 without the game packed in. Good for you if you find that impressive. Btw, the game was 4 months old in June. One would expect at least some legs.
Big Hero GIF

D

Deleted member 223

The Elden Ring hype from casuals playing their first Souls game overshadowed this game a bit. The marketing for the game didn't help either. It's selling really well which is nice. Improved over the original in a great many ways but still lacked that x factor to truly make it great. The story - aboriginal human society structure is still its weakness. No one buys into that shit as something interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
24 Jun 2022
It's #8 with forced bundles where people essentially weren't able to buy a PS5 without the game packed in. Good for you if you find that impressive. Btw, the game was 4 months old in June. One would expect at least some legs.

You....you do realize the bundles are priced higher than PS5s solo, right? So they aren't giving the game away for free, if that's your angle. The person buying the bundle still has to pay for the cost of the game included in it.

And if you're trying to (in a roundabout way) say bundling games strategically with units at a slightly higher price is a desperation tactic to boost a game's presence, what does that say about GamePass needing to be bundled as an app on Samsung TVs? Are Microsoft desperate to increase GamePass numbers, by that logic?

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I find it amazing the attempts to downplay a game that has already sold millions of copies, will probably win more goty awards and will reach its end of life at close to 20 million copies.

It's like, if you don't like it, nobody is forcing you to, but seems like a very weird hill to die on.

Theap99

21 Jun 2022
I had no problem playing through the first game 4 times. Unfortunately, I still haven't beaten this one. Something is off about to me but kudos to them for one of the few goty recognitions they'll be getting, even if it's from a random website

P

peter42O

While I do believe that sales slowed due to Elden Ring and a few other games like Wonderlands and Lego Star Wars but it was a brilliant move by Sony to package the game with the PS5. HFW is an excellent game so you would be hard pressed to start off the PS5 generation any better. Plus, Sony is charging for the game so the sales still count. It would have been awesome for Sony to actually give you the game for free though. That reminds me of when my Mom bought me Super Nintendo when I was 14 or so. It came packed with Super Mario World which was and still is a masterpiece. Such a great time!!!

Back to HFW, console bundles notwithstanding, game will still hit 20m or so in sales within 5 years. I do think that a lot of people who don't own a PS5 and want to play the cross-gen exclusives are waiting until they can get hold of a PS5. I know I would have waited if I had to.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
This will end up being the third most awarded game of the year this year.

The Irony of all this is as much as breakout monster hit elden ring was, Forbidden West will end up very close to it after more bundles, DLC, PC Ports, and the tv show come out.

Sony will make sure their big games do 15-20m no matter what. The beauty of being a platform exclusive

DForce

24 Jun 2022
Feb - 2nd
March - 5th
April - 7th
May - 12th
June -

Sony exclusives typically receive discounts after 2-3 months and Horizon Forbidden West is still full price. Games like God of War and Spider-Man were near the bottom in their 5th month

So I'll say It's doing pretty well.

Edit: New customers wouldn't buy the game since it comes with new PS5 consoles, so it's not a 1-for-1 comparison. You have to take these factors into consideration.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
While I do believe that sales slowed due to Elden Ring and a few other games like Wonderlands and Lego Star Wars but it was a brilliant move by Sony to package the game with the PS5. HFW is an excellent game so you would be hard pressed to start off the PS5 generation any better. Plus, Sony is charging for the game so the sales still count. It would have been awesome for Sony to actually give you the game for free though. That reminds me of when my Mom bought me Super Nintendo when I was 14 or so. It came packed with Super Mario World which was and still is a masterpiece. Such a great time!!!

Back to HFW, console bundles notwithstanding, game will still hit 20m or so in sales within 5 years. I do think that a lot of people who don't own a PS5 and want to play the cross-gen exclusives are waiting until they can get hold of a PS5. I know I would have waited if I had to.

Yep, that has definitely been the case. Miles Morales was the same deal; vast majority have been waiting until they get PS5s to actually pick it up and play it, and it makes sense. That's the optimal way to play these games.

That's one thing MS's games have been able to avoid in terms of supply chain for optimal play of new releases, partly because of their Day 1 release strategy on PC. But that's a business model that specifically works and is suited for them, it just happens to have a hidden benefit in a couple of ways. For Sony, they just need to ensure enough PS5s are available around the time they release their games but they also have the good fortune to know they'll eventually get the sales, a chunk of them could just be delayed if there are system shortages.

P

peter42O

Yep, that has definitely been the case. Miles Morales was the same deal; vast majority have been waiting until they get PS5s to actually pick it up and play it, and it makes sense. That's the optimal way to play these games.

That's one thing MS's games have been able to avoid in terms of supply chain for optimal play of new releases, partly because of their Day 1 release strategy on PC. But that's a business model that specifically works and is suited for them, it just happens to have a hidden benefit in a couple of ways. For Sony, they just need to ensure enough PS5s are available around the time they release their games but they also have the good fortune to know they'll eventually get the sales, a chunk of them could just be delayed if there are system shortages.
In all honesty, I believe that Sony will release their exclusives day one on PC before this generation ends. It's extra money and two different markets. The PC price point for entry is way more than $500 unless you don't care about how the game looks or runs which would defeat the purpose of going the PC route, there's very little overlap and there's a lot of console gamers (like myself) who simply prefer the console experience. While Sony's sales have been good thus far on PC, they would be at least double if not more if they were to release them on PC day one.

Sony is all about game sales so having PC as another day one option in my mind makes a lot of sense and will give them more money especially a storefront like Steam that has over 200m users on the platform. For Microsoft, it's about their Game Pass subscription and getting you into their eco-system as opposed to game sales.

But people waiting to get a PS5 to play their exclusives is definitely an aspect I believe and agree with you on because why play the game at 30fps with less visuals on PS4 when you can play the better version on PS5 when the person eventually gets one. Besides, it's almost two years so if people have waited this long, a few to several more months isn't going to make any difference.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
In all honesty, I believe that Sony will release their exclusives day one on PC before this generation ends.

Will never happen.

Especially with the amount of pirating on pc. Sony is not all about game sales, they are about selling in-game purchases and services, which generate far more revenue than just games. They aren’t directing gamers outside of their eco system for game sales they gotta split with steam and epic game store

Their single player games are just to bait people into their eco system not drive profits on their own like nintendo.

P

peter42O

Will never happen.

Especially with the amount of pirating on pc. Sony is not all about game sales, they are about selling in-game purchases and services, which generate far more revenue than just games. They aren’t directing gamers outside of their eco system for game sales they gotta split with steam and epic game store

Their single player games are just to bait people into their eco system not drive profits on their own like nintendo.
We'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens and there's always a chance Sony simply starts up their own PC storefront which also wouldn't surprise me.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
We'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens and there's always a chance Sony simply starts up their own PC storefront which also wouldn't surprise me.

Maybe, but theres a reason sony doesn’t allow third party sellers to sell their digital games anymore. Sony wants to be 100% in control of where their games are sold and how you’re able to play them.

Thats why that monopoly law suit was filed against them (in vain) because they want to have the only storefront to buy their games and they want you spending the F2P money on their consoles with it

P

peter42O

Maybe, but theres a reason sony doesn’t allow third party sellers to sell their digital games anymore. Sony wants to be 100% in control of where their games are sold and how you’re able to play them.

Thats why that monopoly law suit was filed against them (in vain) because they want to have the only storefront to buy their games and they want you spending the F2P money on their consoles with it
If they were to do their own PC storefront, it would be the same thing as what they do on PlayStation. I do miss the ability to buy digital games from third party sellers. For example and for Xbox, I snatched a digital copy of Watch Dogs Legion Ultimate Edition or whatever the top version is for only $20 on Amazon last August. 10 months after launch. That was awesome!!!

But we'll see what they do. One thing I know for sure is - never say never. lol

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
If they were to do their own PC storefront, it would be the same thing as what they do on PlayStation. I do miss the ability to buy digital games from third party sellers. For example and for Xbox, I snatched a digital copy of Watch Dogs Legion Ultimate Edition or whatever the top version is for only $20 on Amazon last August. 10 months after launch. That was awesome!!!

But we'll see what they do. One thing I know for sure is - never say never. lol

There is a possibility they eventually do their own storefront, it would piss a lot of people off though.

I also wish they still allowed third party vendors to sell codes, i remember i got god of war for 48 dollars off greenmangaming or one of those sites.

P

peter42O

There is a possibility they eventually do their own storefront, it would piss a lot of people off though.

I also wish they still allowed third party vendors to sell codes, i remember i got god of war for 48 dollars off greenmangaming or one of those sites.
Yeah, im sure they have a plan and we just have to wait and see what it ends up being.

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Feb - 2nd
March - 5th
April - 7th
May - 12th
June -

Sony exclusives typically receive discounts after 2-3 months and Horizon Forbidden West is still full price. Games like God of War and Spider-Man were near the bottom in their 5th month

So I'll say It's doing pretty well.

Edit: New customers wouldn't buy the game since it comes with new PS5 consoles, so it's not a 1-for-1 comparison. You have to take these factors into consideration.
That's a good point. The first Horizon was free in a bundle like a month after release (that's how I got it). Now Sony is making good money with each sale since it's still full price, usually even in bundles.

Reactions: Hobbygaming
Status
Not open for further replies.