How do you Rate the Nintendo Direct?

How do you rate June 18th Nintendo Direct?

• A

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • B

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • C

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • D

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • E

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • F

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
B, I just wish Metroid Prime 2 echoes remasferdd was also announced along with zero mission and MP4 since MP4 is 2025. If Metroid Prime 2 does still get a remaster coming out this year I will go back and change it to an A. Mario and Luigi was an insane surprise seeing how Alphadream shut down nearly half a decade ago

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
If you really expected another Yoshi game then you must not be paying attention as that team did the Princess Peach game that came out three months ago.
To be dair i didnt expect a new mario and luigi game after alphadream closed almost 5 uears ago and mario rpg and ttyd just got remakes. So it wpuldnt of been impossible for another tream to have done a yoshi game but i doubt that would of happen before wholly world got ported

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
People did ask for It, and It's just a port of a Wii game. Unlike Sony, who does not bother porting their PS3 games for over a decade now.
Go read every thread about Sony remasters than come back

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
C to C+. Metroid Prime 4 was the star of the show and everything else was what I expected out of a typical Nintendo direct.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
A and B ratings? Did we watch the same thing

Besides Metroid Prime 4 which looked ass, that was 90% pure slop.

Mobile ports
Bad anime adaptations
Disney game DLC
Shitty farming games
Switch Sports DLC
A bunch of sloppy looking ports like Donkey Kong Wii Port, Lazy looking DQ remake, MVC ports
Luigi's Mansion port
A Funko Game 😂
Nintendo classics emulator games
Zelda IKEA interior designer
Lego Horizon garbage version

What did the rest of you watch?

If Sony put together that show you would have rightfully had a meltdown

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

Mobile ports
Bad anime adaptations
Disney game DLC
Shitty farming games
Switch Sports DLC
A bunch of sloppy looking ports like Donkey Kong Wii Port, Lazy looking DQ remake, MVC ports
Luigi's Mansion port
A Funko Game 😂

Different standards for different companies.

Nintendo fans liking it is fine but the Sony fans backing them and shitting on Sony is laughable.

They would run riot if Sony announced remasters and remakes with other regurgitated crap.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Different standards for different companies.

Nintendo fans liking it is fine but the Sony fans backing them and shitting on Sony is laughable.

They would run riot if Sony announced remasters and remakes with other regurgitated crap.
I liked this direct but yeah there is some weird hanfwaving going on here. When metroid prime 4 releases in 2025 donkey kong country tropical freeze will be 11 old which was retro's last new game. Also every retro studios games in the past 14 years have been remastered.
DKC tropical freeze was remastered for switch in 2018 and now dkc returns is being remastered on switch despite it being rereleased on 3ds and then again on wii u eShop.

But naughty dog gets dragged for remaking tlou and tlou pt2 and it being 4 years since tlou 2 released. Its weird to see a lot of people be alright with retro not releasing a new game for 11 years and only giving us a short trailer for MP4

• fire

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I also forgot but I wished it had a new starfox game. Another f Zero would of been great but I feel like starfox needs a new game soon

24 Jun 2022
A measured take ❤️ Though I won’t fully lump Nintendo and Xbox together. Nintendo’s roadmap and plan is clear as it’s always been, that’s just how they are. While the writing is on the wall for Xbox in terms of multiplat their messaging is still all over the show. In the span of a few months we’ve went from rumors, to 4 games don’t expect everything to more games will come to more platforms. Not to mention them trying to hype up next gen. Their messaging is a direct result of unclear strategy and unrest in the fanbase. In terms of games though, we have a clear outlook of what to expect from Xbox yes but also have to remember a lot of these games were also known for a long, long time.

Sony, yeah, they’re in a super weird spot and I have very mixed feeling about where they’re at right now. I think the pivot to GaaS caused the most issues both internally and within the fanbase. They’ve put out great games these past 4 years but you’re still left with this weird feeling and it’s because we really have no insight into what’s coming next for them and it sucks. I think the work they’ve done on partnerships has more than kept my interest in the platform and it’s where they’ve truly shone this gen but on the first party side I can’t help but feel kinda let down. If 2025 really is the year we see heavy hitters I hope we see them this year.

Well WRT Xbox; when they did that "business update" I knew they were never gonna outright confirm the January Discord leak. There was no reason to. The way I see it, their strategy is:

-PC (Steam) Day 1 for all their games
-PS5 & Nintendo Day 1 for all Zenimax & ABK games
-PS5 & Nintendo 6-12 months later for all XGS games

That's what Microsoft's release strategy looks like for me. And by the end of this gen (or when the next Xbox devices launch), even the XGS games will likely be Day 1 on PS & Switch (barring the odd exception like a Flight Sim). MS are just trying to not piss off their diehard console warriors, trying to ease them into accepting the new future and that takes time.

Nintendo is very clear-cut that the only platform they support outside of their own hardware with games, is mobile. And even there, the games are offshoots, and Nintendo always has proper "real" versions of those games exclusive to their systems made by 1P teams, or 3P teams as 2P deals. It's the most minimal amount of messiness for multiplatform as a platform holder, and I can rely on that being the case at least for another full hardware generation from them, if not longer.

Sony/SIE are in this weird space where they say GAAS games are Day 1 on PC to grab a large userbase, but wouldn't the non-GAAS games also benefit from having as large a userbase as possible? A weird space where stuff like Destiny 2 is on Xbox, yet Helldivers 2 isn't? A weird space where LEGO Horizon is Day 1 on Steam, but Astro Bot is a PS5 exclusive? If so, for how long? Would it have been $50 or $40 if it came to Steam Day 1? How is Astro Bot's exclusivity justified by it being "so PlayStation", yet a tentpole IP like Horizon that's massive on PS4 & PS5 somehow isn't "PlayStation enough"?

And it's not even just that. Also things like the Nvidia leak having been 100% spot-on for SIE games, so it's just a matter of when (not if) Demon's Souls & GT7 get their PC ports announced. So is PS5 only going to have 1P exclusives (like, genuine exclusives) of smaller (compared to TLOU, Horizon, Spiderman etc.) IP such as Astro Bot, and dead GAAS games like Destruction All-Stars? How does porting all the other stuff to PC convince some PC gamers to buy a PS5, exactly? My gut tells me it's a line of thinking that makes no sense, because SIE know that goal is unattainable with the way they are handling their porting strategy and look to accelerate it in the future.

Nintendo clearly want to sell people their hardware and their software support strategy backs that up 100% of the way. Clear, concise, to the point. Microsoft doesn't give a damn if you get an Xbox or have a PC, or some TV/tablet with Game Pass. Just as long as you're in their ecosystem somehow (Xbox, Windows, Game Pass) to access their games, that's good enough for them. Their software strategy shows this to be the case. A bit messy in practice, more messy with optics, but enough evidence to show that is clearly what they're doing and PlayStation & Nintendo will be additional platform for their games with parity to Xbox & PC in short order.

Sony are in this weird spot where they of course want to sell people PlayStations, but they "need" to satisfy shareholders and push for growth, so they're taking the easiest-to-implement option and just porting all their stuff to PC. But it's to Steam, a storefront they have no vested interests in, and to Windows OS, an operating system they also have no vested interests in. And their "case by case" mantra is (at least publicly) defined by rules that are contradictory. It's like some truth is being purposefully obfuscated because they hope people, in the midst of the confusion, just default for the console even if some would've chosen to buy those games on PC/Steam instead or whatever else IF they knew the rules more clearly.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
You say that but if Sony remastered Ape Escape 1-3, Freedom Wars, Okage: Shadow King, Dark Cloud 1 & 2, and Legend of Dragoon and make that an entire state of play
It would be the best state of play ever for me

Yes I know most of these are emulated on PS5 in high resolution but I'd like them to put a little more effort in

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022

Mobile ports
Bad anime adaptations
Disney game DLC
Shitty farming games
Switch Sports DLC
Luigi's Mansion port
A Funko Game 😂

While i agree that if sony put out this same show people would lose there minds and call for every exec at SIE to have there heads cut off. I still think this show was a b. Mario and luigi was a surprise but I am worried about its quality. Metroid Prime 4 looked good imo but had a short and safe trailer which is disappinting for a game announced all the way back on june 13th 2017 still is cool to see.
But it was still cool for me see stuff coming to playstation annouced like dragon quest remakes, marvel vs capcom collection and talss of the shire.
For what ever reason people hate it when sony announces multiplatform games but nobody hates it when nintendo does. So i dont hate any of the state of plays but i also dont think this direct was bad

Ico

Icon Extra
8 May 2024
You say that but if Sony remastered Ape Escape 1-3, Freedom Wars, Okage: Shadow King, Dark Cloud 1 & 2, and Legend of Dragoon and make that an entire state of play
It would be the best state of play ever for me

Yes I know most of these are emulated on PS5 in high resolution but I'd like them to put a little more effort in

yeah, people talk about double standards almost pretending that all of sony remasters/remakes are on the shadow of the colossus and demon souls level, which were games trapped on ps2/ps3, ofc people will look poorly at remakes like TLOU part 1 and 2, dont even get me started with the rumors of the HZD remaster lol

if they did like, gow 1 and 2 remaster, ico, ape escape like you said everyone would love it, heck, you see people complaining about nintendo but a few days ago we were all thinking how cool would be to see old gran turismo games being remade

Last edited:
Reactions: TrishaCat

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Speak for yourself I would love to get remasters of Bloodborne, Resistance, Infamous, Killzone 2, R&C and early God of War games.

You guys like Sony not announcing things so much that you would probably riot if they announced anything exciting.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
yeah, people talk about double standards almost pretending that all of sony remasters/remakes are on the shadow of the colossus and demon souls level, which were games trapped on ps2/ps3, ofc people will look poorly at remakes like TLOU part 1 and 2, dont even get me started with the rumors of the HZD remaster lol

if they did like, gow 1 and 2 remaster, ico, ape escape like you said, heck, you see people complaining about nintendo but a few days ago we were all thinking how cool would be to see old gran turismo games being remade
star trek spock GIF

Reactions: TrishaCat

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I rated it a C. Decent game list but I'm not actually interested in playing any of them on the switch due to the technical cutbacks.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022

if they did like, gow 1 and 2 remaster, ico, ape escape like you said everyone would love it, heck, you see people complaining about nintendo but a few days ago we were all thinking how cool would be to see old gran turismo games being remade
They aren't remakes though are they. Donkey Kong is just a port to add to a collection of dozens of ports they call remasters being sold for $60. It's not like they are ground up remaking OOT or Mario 64 here

And people would not be cool with GOW1, 2, ICO or Ape Escape basic remasters. They would laugh at the laziness. If they were ground up faithful remakes to modern standards then we are talking about something different