How is Emulation supposed to be "Game Preservation"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
GH2L4UvWUAAiAQE

So u want companies to bankrupt themselves so u can have free games?

Nintendo is a business not a charity

• thinking_hard
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
So u want companies to bankrupt themselves so u can have free games?

Nintendo is a business not a charity
Bankrupt because of emulation?
Stop talking rubbish just to defend Nintendo, then if you want to get ripped off by paying 60$ for old roms like a sheep that's your choice, not mine.

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Stop talking rubbish just to defend Nintendo, then if you want to get ripped off by paying 60$ for old roms like a sheep that's your choice, not mine.

Their IP, their Rules. They set the price that the market is willing to pay.

Nintendo games don't drop in value, so you can actually sell it years down the line and make a profit.

• thinking_hard

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Is this a troll post? 😂 there's nothing wrong with emulation, how is it NOT game preservation? How else can you play Pokemon Platinum without paying $100? And that $100 doesn't even go to Nintendo, it goes to some random loser.

Emulation and piracy are the only real ways to preserve games, I don't even really trust buying digital games. In 50 years, consoles will break, discs will rot, cartridges will die, and licenses will vanish....But emulation will still work.

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Is this a troll post? 😂 there's nothing wrong with emulation, how is it NOT game preservation? How else can you play Pokemon Platinum without paying $100? And that $100 doesn't even go to Nintendo, it goes to some random loser.

Emulation and piracy are the only real ways to preserve games, I don't even really trust buying digital games. In 50 years, consoles will break, discs will rot, cartridges will die, and licenses will vanish....But emulation will still work.

How is it game preservation when people emulate the Nintendo Switch which is still available?

People arnt using emulators to "preserve" games, they are mostly pirates.

How many actually upload their own orginal copies and use their own Bios files?

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
How is it game preservation when people emulate the Nintendo Switch which is still available?

People arnt using emulators to "preserve" games, they are mostly pirates.

How many actually upload their own orginal copies and use their own Bios files?
For Switch, yes you're right, they mostly are just pirates. But for everything else, I don't see the issue. Uploading your own bios and original copies of game is irrelevant, Sony isn't making money from PS2 game sales anymore, so why does that matter? If you have money to burn and want to pay a scummy reseller, then go ahead. But that objectively doesn't make you any better than someone that just went to vimm's lair and got it all for free 🤷‍♂️ The end result is the same, you both used and emulator an Sony/Nintendo/Whoever made 0 dollars.

Reactions: Systemshock2023
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
For Switch, yes you're right, they mostly are just pirates. But for everything else, I don't see the issue. Uploading your own bios and original copies of game is irrelevant, Sony isn't making money from PS2 game sales anymore, so why does that matter? If you have money to burn and want to pay a scummy reseller, then go ahead. But that objectively doesn't make you any better than someone that just went to vimm's lair and got it all for free 🤷‍♂️ The end result is the same, you both used and emulator an Sony/Nintendo/Whoever made 0 dollars.

What I agree is downloading old games that are not available in any modern store, but stuff like jak games that are available for example I don't agree with.

If Sony or Nintendo makes these games available on modern systems, people should stop using the pirated versions, otherwise they are hypocritical pirates and should be prosecuted.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
What I agree is downloading old games that are not available in any modern store, but stuff like jak games that are available for example I don't agree with.

If Sony or Nintendo makes these games available on modern systems, people should stop using the pirated versions, otherwise they are hypocritical pirates and should be prosecuted.
Most people don't even know that Jak was ever ported to PS4, so that's Sony's fault, and that's a very rare example. They should make these games available and properly support them, Jak and Mario 3d collections are pretty much just emulation and lazy ports. They need to do better if they want to make money from these older games.

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Most people don't even know that Jak was ever ported to PS4, so that's Sony's fault, and that's a very rare example. They should make these games available and properly support them, Jak and Mario 3d collections are pretty much just emulation and lazy ports. They need to do better if they want to make money from these older games.

I do wish they would hire the OpenGoal team tbh, they did such a good job with the PC Ports.

The weird thing is ps2 emulation on the ps3 was a lot better

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I do wish they would hire the OpenGoal team tbh, they did such a good job with the PC Ports.

The weird thing is ps2 emulation on the ps3 was a lot better
facts, they're now working with pcsx2 team....they should've done this stuff a LONG TIME AGO. But better late than never. Even the RPCS3 team said that PS3 emulation on PS5 would be possible, no idea why Sony isn't on that 😡

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It is their IP/Games.

If you don’t agree then just don’t buy it… if enough people do it they will get you are not happy with the price.

But there is nothing wrong in what they are doing.

Reactions: Box
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
facts, they're now working with pcsx2 team....they should've done this stuff a LONG TIME AGO. But better late than never. Even the RPCS3 team said that PS3 emulation on PS5 would be possible, no idea why Sony isn't on that 😡

Better late then never ur right, its also 2 former devs nor current members of the pcsx2 team though.

I like that they at least acknowledge the teams. Nintendo should be working with the Dolphin team to bring game cube and wii games to the Switch 2.

Idk why game companies don't work with fans more often

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
So what you said is that you can play Pokémon stadium, the cartridge still exists, the hardware as well. The only reason you're defending an emulator in this one case is that you see it as unaffordable, ergo justifiable.

I'm not going to say I disagree with you in principle, but that's a very big slippery slope - it's the same excuse videogame pirates use to justify not buying some games.

For digital only games? Sure. For physical games? Not really. You're free to buy a digital copy of a game and preserve it yourself. It's not the only way, it's a convenient way.

Reactions: Box

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
So what you said is that you can play Pokémon stadium, the cartridge still exists, the hardware as well. The only reason you're defending an emulator in this one case is that you see it as unaffordable, ergo justifiable.

I'm not going to say I disagree with you in principle, but that's a very big slippery slope - it's the same excuse videogame pirates use to justify not buying some games.
Not at all, your entire premise is flawed....whether I buy a copy of Pokemon Stadium or Pokemon Platinum, Nintendo won't see a dime, so why does it matter? It's not sold through any official channel, and if they want to make money from it, they should sell it themselves. I can easily afford it, but how does me buying off a random reseller benefit Nintendo or the health of the game industry? It doesn't. Games are wonderful art (and products), we buy them so we can continue to get more art that we love. Which is why I agreed with Box when it came to Switch games, but older stuff, there's objectively no harm in emulation. Buying used copies for 5x MSRP doesn't help anyone but resellers. It just lines the pockets of scumbags and hurts the industry by incentivizing hoarding and reselling, while emulation makes all of that nonsense null and void.

For digital only games? Sure. For physical games? Not really. You're free to buy a digital copy of a game and preserve it yourself. It's not the only way, it's a convenient way.
What do you mean? How can I preserve a digital game myself when 3rd parties completely control the license on the backend? This is only really possible if bought through GOG

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Museum style preservation does not allow you to experience a game at it should be. I mean, get the NES Zelda or Metroid, these games require exploration, discovery and time, it's nice to see them on OG hardware plugged on a CRT, etc. but it's not playing.

That's like going to a Pink Floyd exhibit and looking at old concerts thinking this is "preservation" you don't have the experience. It tells you what happened, but you may as well look at a documentary about it.

• brain

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Is this a troll post? 😂 there's nothing wrong with emulation, how is it NOT game preservation? How else can you play Pokemon Platinum without paying $100?
How is not wanting to pay 100 dollars game preservation? This isn't classic film. There's not one copy rotting away, forgotten in a church basement, there's a hundred or more listings of it on ebay at any one time.

I like that they at least acknowledge the teams. Nintendo should be working with the Dolphin team to bring game cube and wii games to the Switch 2.

Idk why game companies don't work with fans more often
Nintendo already has a working Gamecube emulator, Sunshine was running on it in the 3D Allstars collection. They don't bring more games over because they want to re-release them individually for 60 dollars each.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OF PIRACY, ITS A STATEMENT OF FACT

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Not at all, your entire premise is flawed....whether I buy a copy of Pokemon Stadium or Pokemon Platinum, Nintendo won't see a dime, so why does it matter? It's not sold through any official channel, and if they want to make money from it, they should sell it themselves. I can easily afford it, but how does me buying off a random reseller benefit Nintendo or the health of the game industry? It doesn't. Games are wonderful art (and products), we buy them so we can continue to get more art that we love.
Then just pirate games, it's easier. Nintendo won't see money either way, so there's no difference, right?

Which is why I agreed with Box when it came to Switch games, but older stuff, there's objectively no harm in emulation.
I didn't say there's harm in emulation though.

Buying used copies for 5x MSRP doesn't help anyone but resellers. It just lines the pockets of scumbags and hurts the industry by incentivizing hoarding and reselling, while emulation makes all of that nonsense null and void.
That's besides the point.

What do you mean? How can I preserve a digital game myself when 3rd parties completely control the license on the backend? This is only really possible if bought through GOG
Again, that's were emulation comes in, and... User made patches, for lack of a better description. And this is a whole new can of worms because people already don't understand the difference between being pro emulation and what the switch lads did, so I won't even go there.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Then just pirate games, it's easier. Nintendo won't see money either way, so there's no difference, right?
What? What does being “easier” have to do with anything? When did I say anything about ease of access? And why did you ignore the entire part where I said “x games are not sold through official channels”? How does that relate to piracy in any way? I buy a lot of games day 1 for full price, you know why? Because they’re actually sold by the publishers, so they’ll definitely see the money in the end…Where is Pokémon Stadium being sold at by Nintendo?

Your statement makes NO SENSE!!!
How is not wanting to pay 100 dollars game preservation? This isn't classic film. There's not one copy rotting away, forgotten in a church basement, there's a hundred or more listings of it on ebay at any one time.
I don’t get it, are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? 😂 It doesn’t matter if there are a million eBay listings if they’re all overpriced. And buying them is still not preservation

Status
Not open for further replies.