How long can Microsoft float on goodwill? | Opinion

D

Deleted member 417

For very obvious reasons, that's not something you should do with large AAA releases with huge budgets.
Which is true when you're selling the game. Microsoft gives it away free on Gamepass. What marketing push is needed?

Besides, I can see value in the strategy of "keep you gamepass sub live, who knows whem Microsoft might shadow drop a game"

• Informative
Reactions: Gediminas

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
My friend you are being mighty generous if you think there was only 1 troll vote :sneaky:

Also, one shadow drop does not mean the entire slate will shadow drop lol. Jez is being Jez.
I took out the troll vote you pointed out, if anything i may have given too much weight to one vote the other way.

If Jez being Jez is being dense as fuck, then yes he is.

Reactions: AshHunter216

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Which is true when you're selling the game. Microsoft gives it away free on Gamepass. What marketing push is needed?

Besides, I can see value in the strategy of "keep you gamepass sub live, who knows whem Microsoft might shadow drop a game"

The game has to sell at retail on at least 3 different platforms (Steam, Windows Store, Xbox store) and will have a proper preview cycle and pre-order window.

Hi-Fi is a smaller scale/scope game with less of a risk associated with it (though looking at the games success, there doesn't seem to be any risk to it at all now)

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
If it's a matter of money, MS ain't about to run out of it any time soon, so that can coast for as long as daddy Satya wants it to.

If it's about games ? they just put out an incredible game 2 days ago with more first party stuff coming in the next months, the 2022 drought was a once in a life-time kind of a unique issue (in a bad way) that isn't the problem anymore.

If it's about fan-favor, game pass has earned them tremendous good-will among fans with it providing numerous game of the year caliber games on day 1 every few weeks/months.

I think they'll be ok.

Hi-Fi Rush Incredible?

Relax mate, we know Xbox gamers standards are low these but using the word incredible?

FF7 was incredible, Zelda Ocarina of Time was Incredible, Half Life 2 was incredible and so was Halo 1.

Hi-Fi Rush? Come on now.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Hi-Fi Rush Incredible?

Relax mate, we know Xbox gamers standards are low these but using the word incredible?

FF7 was incredible, Zelda Ocarina of Time was Incredible, Half Life 2 was incredible and so was Halo 1.

Hi-Fi Rush? Come on now.

Well regarded by critics and fans, doing very well in terms of revenue and engagement.

Not sure why I can't say it's an incredible release, especially for a shadow dropped new IP.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Well regarded by critics and fans, doing very well in terms of revenue and engagement.

Not sure why I can't say it's an incredible release, especially for a shadow dropped new IP.

Which critics? Xboxera?

The game was shadow dropped for a reason. So it doesn’t get reviewed before release.

Seriously the lengths people go to defend their favourite box and its games.

Take off your tinted glasses and raise your standards.

Other than Elden Ring no incredible game has been released this last year.

Even GOWR was a huge disappointment.

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
Microsoft acquired Bethesda in September of 2020, when it was finalized does not matter too much. The truth is, all these Bethesda games did not start after MS acquired them, they were in development for years already. Starfield was first announced at E3 2018 and was in development for years before that. ID released Doom Eternal since early 2020. Rumors of a Quake reboot was making the circles way before that, the last Wolfenstein was released since 2017 even further back from Doom Eternal. Fallout 4 was released in 2015, Fallout 76 in 2018........The next Skyrim has been in development for ages already.........

I have no issues with Bethesda's timeline per se, since these games are huge undertakings which can take time, especially for Skyrim, but you do realize from the time MS has taken over, Starfield has seen delay after delay thereafter. Starfield which started as multiplatform is now exclusive and MS will want it's direction to be in tune with their other ventures like gamepass, perhaps demands of MP being shoehorned and other inclusive political undertones to satisfy some high ranking MS executives, board members or shareholder....

Something is drastically affecting development at MS studios, a simple looking game like crackdown taking all this time, a simple looking game like Halo Infinite taking all this time for one Biome are just a few examples, including Forza 8, what happened to Fable, Perfect Dark etc...MS studios are losing lots of talent after the acquisitions and it also could be that the talent at MS studios are just not as good as the talent at Sony's studios, and that's fine, and this is mainly why we're here..... This is why MS is buying all these studios to compete, but if people are leaving because they don't appreciate MS changing their vision for the games they've been working on for years and relegating them to only one franchise devs for their whole career, where they may never work on a GOTY calibre awardee, I can expect that they would leave in droves and chase that dream (one life to live right), and of course the end-result is MS's numerous acquisitions and dev houses are left as shells. This is is one of MS's biggest problems right now and I've been saying that the last few months here and elsewhere, Willits left ID and many others too...Leading staff are leaving all over MS studios, that is what is causing all these delays, people just don't want to work for MS in their gaming studios, MS commands too much input in the dev process to push lower tier goals and to forward their gamepass and services goals, something which is stifling quality and ambition in the dev process.

You realize most games MS are pushing are indie level, stylized games with a high level of goofiness from the 90's. MS only slate of realistic looking games is now coming only through the acquisition of a major Multiplat Publisher or perhaps soon (2), none of these games.....Starfield, Elder Scrolls 6, Quake or Doom Next are MS's creation. I'm not sure MS as an entity can build a AAA hit franchise all on their own, not forgetting Gears was not their own, neither was Halo, they had to go buying those already deep in development.....

Lastly, Bethesda is just one purchase MS did. Do you realize that MS purchased several Indie studios before Bethesda/Zenimax? Where is their output? Smaller studios/acquisitions like Compulsion Games, Undead Labs, Inxile, Obsidian, Ninja Theory, Double Fine and the list goes on and on. Where is the output from these studios from since mid 2018? None of them are developing a game as massive or as ambitious as Starfield, that much is sure, still from them, nothing to show. Any one of these indie studios could have stepped up and delivered something like Hifi, but instead of MS devs stepping up and showing something decent, they are simply sucking those MS dollars with zero output of worth just like the failed AAAA Initiative.....And again, all of these indies studios were working on games before MS purchased them, so you would think....Ok it gets easier guys, toss PS development focus all your efforts on your new overlord (XBOX) and so we can push more games at better quality right? Only in your dreams....
I get that your goal is to downplay Xbox Game Studios and their output but in the end you have to realize that AAA projects take time.
Starfield didn't get delayed because Microsoft bought Bethesda.
The "smaller studios" as you have called them like Compulsion Games, Undead Labs, Inxile, Obsidian, Ninja Theory, Double Fine etc. started hiring and restructured to become AAA studios. They were mostly AA studios before. Again. New IP + AAA development time = Takes a lot of time.

It's no secret that 343i has management issues. It's always difficult to create a brand new AAA studio and manage them. Just ask Sony. They created Manchester Studio in 2015. And had to close them in 2020 because it didn't work out. Couldn't even release a VR game. They created Santa Monica Studio, they made God of War, struck gold, tried a new IP, it failed, they had to fire half of the studio and went back to God of War. If God of War 2018 had underperformed like GOW Ascension, Santa Monica Studio wouldn't be alive today. Sometimes things don't work out. Just ask the developers of the studios Sony closed. Studio Liverpool, Cambridge Studio, Bigbig Studio, Evolution Studio, Zipper Interactive, Incognito Entertainment, Japan Studio etc.

If it wasn't for the timed-exclusive deals Sony made for Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop, no one would really complain about Microsoft's output this gen. Microsoft's acquired AA studios are AAA studios now. Bethesda is getting ready for Starfield. And Activision-Blizzard will be a Microsoft company this year.

Microsoft will be fine. Xbox Game Studio will be a powerful force. With Bethesda + Activision + Blizzard + over 20 Xbox Game Studios like The Coalition, Ninja Theory, Double Fine etc. And having the best video game service on the market with Xbox Game Pass. The future is looking pretty good. I smell domination.

Happy gaming.
I know it's fun to make jokes about XGS because they had a weak 2022. But yeah, those years are gone.
Xbox even has its own mascots soon with Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Which critics? Xboxera?

The game was shadow dropped for a reason. So it doesn’t get reviewed before release.

Seriously the lengths people go to defend their favourite box and its games.

Take off your tinted glasses and raise your standards.

Other than Elden Ring no incredible game has been released this last year.

Even GOWR was a huge disappointment.

8 reviews, 5 scored, 3 non-scored, all of them very positive, even the ones that aren't from Xboxera :eek:

You don't have to take my word for it, you can click the link above and read them yourself.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

8 reviews, 5 scored, 3 non-scored, all of them very positive, even the ones that aren't from Xboxera :eek:

You don't have to take my word for it, you can click the link above and read them yourself.

Yes a grand total of 8 with 3 unscored.

So basically 5 reviews with one being Xboxera.

‘Incredible’ game.

Same happened with High on life with so little reviews. What is Microsoft so afraid of?

• thinking_hard
Reactions: adamsapple

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Yes a grand total of 8 with 3 unscored.

So basically 5 reviews with one being Xboxera.

‘Incredible’ game.

Same happened with High on life with so little reviews. What is Microsoft so afraid of?

High on Life wasn't shadow dropped, it had a review embargo and outlets had codes beforehand.

The whole point of shadow dropping is that it dropped unexpectedly without anyone knowing about it, despite that .. the initial volley of reviews are all positive.

I swear some of y'all are just haters for no reason.

I get that your goal is to downplay Xbox Game Studios and their output but in the end you have to realize that AAA projects take time.
Starfield didn't get delayed because Microsoft bought Bethesda.
The "smaller studios" as you have called them like Compulsion Games, Undead Labs, Inxile, Obsidian, Ninja Theory, Double Fine etc. started hiring and restructured to become AAA studios. They were mostly AA studios before. Again. New IP + AAA development time = Takes a lot of time.

It's no secret that 343i has management issues. It's always difficult to create a brand new AAA studio and manage them. Just ask Sony. They created Manchester Studio in 2015. And had to close them in 2020 because it didn't work out. Couldn't even release a VR game. They created Santa Monica Studio, they made God of War, struck gold, tried a new IP, it failed, they had to fire half of the studio and went back to God of War. If God of War 2018 had underperformed like GOW Ascension, Santa Monica Studio wouldn't be alive today. Sometimes things don't work out. Just ask the developers of the studios Sony closed. Studio Liverpool, Cambridge Studio, Bigbig Studio, Evolution Studio, Zipper Interactive, Incognito Entertainment, Japan Studio etc.

If it wasn't for the timed-exclusive deals Sony made for Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop, no one would really complain about Microsoft's output this gen. Microsoft's acquired AA studios are AAA studios now. Bethesda is getting ready for Starfield. And Activision-Blizzard will be a Microsoft company this year.

Microsoft will be fine. Xbox Game Studio will be a powerful force. With Bethesda + Activision + Blizzard + over 20 Xbox Game Studios like The Coalition, Ninja Theory, Double Fine etc. And having the best video game service on the market with Xbox Game Pass. The future is looking pretty good. I smell domination.

Happy gaming.
I know it's fun to make jokes about XGS because they had a weak 2022. But yeah, those years are gone.
Xbox even has its own mascots soon with Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon.

This is a good post. Though Bethesda has been with MS for a few years, they still had multiple contractually obligated games to release on other platforms first.

Hi-Fi Rush is essentially the first exclusive Bethesda release under Xbox publishing, with Redfall and Starfield coming later this year. 3 games from one studio in a single year is a very good output.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
High on Life wasn't shadow dropped, it had a review embargo and outlets had codes beforehand.

The whole point of shadow dropping is that it dropped unexpectedly without anyone knowing about it, despite that .. the initial volley of reviews are all positive.

I swear some of y'all are just haters for no reason.

No, more like some of you are just lovers for no reason.

It was shadow dropped simply because Microsoft wants no accountability and know people like you will love their products irrespective.

Being fanboys and supposedly it being free because it is on Gamepass subscription service.

You won’t be talking about this ‘incredible’ game in a couple of weeks time.

That’s how incredible it is.

D

Deleted member 417

The game has to sell at retail on at least 3 different platforms (Steam, Windows Store, Xbox store) and will have a proper preview cycle and pre-order window.

Hi-Fi is a smaller scale/scope game with less of a risk associated with it (though looking at the games success, there doesn't seem to be any risk to it at all now)
I thought you played games, not quarterly reports?

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
No, more like some of you are just lovers for no reason.

Better a lover than a hater 🤷‍♂️

It was shadow dropped simply because Microsoft wants no accountability and know people like you will love their products irrespective.

That's not how any of this works ..

Being fanboys and supposedly it being free because it is on Gamepass subscription service.

It's the third highest seller on Steam right now

It's a successful launch with or without it being on game pass.

You won’t be talking about this ‘incredible’ game in a couple of weeks time.

That’s how incredible it is.

cm punk GIF

I thought you played games, not quarterly reports?

What part of the quoted post led you to believe it was about earning reports ?

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Better neither. Microsoft nor Sony are paying your bills.

They provide you a service which you pay for.

There's no harm in appreciating and praising a good surprise release. I didn't name my firstborn after the game or anything like that 😅

P

peter42O

HiFi Rush was shadow dropped to get 2023 going for Microsoft, was a nice pleasant surprise and so people could just play it themselves as opposed to say, Forspoken which has been shitted on for a year if not longer. With a shadow drop, this can't happen because the game is right there on Game Pass for anyone to play it themselves as opposed to either over hyping the game or bashing it to hell and back for a long duration of time. Plus, it's a small AA title that doesn't need a year or whatever of marketing. Showcase they game, release it and boom, if interested, play it and if not, play something else.