IGN: Starfield Feels like Xbox's Last Chance at Redemption

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Destin stopped eating his cookies to post this on IGN. Is it the end for the most high-profile Xbox astroturfers website?

It’s no secret the gaming community is kind of angry at Xbox since Redfall released. It really felt like the straw that broke the camel’s back. For too long Xbox fans have been asked to wait just a little bit longer for the next amazing AAA game, but enough is enough. Redfall was supposed to be that game, and look how that turned out. Now, with Redfall in the rearview mirror (aka the “Uninstalled” bin for most of us), it’s time to look forward to the next big release – Starfield.
If Starfield is a flop or suffers from any kind of major problem – or, y’know, is just not that fun – faith in Xbox’s ability to deliver is going to be further shaken and as a result I imagine heads will roll at Xbox.
By contrast, look at what PlayStation has accomplished in the same time. Returnal, Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, The Last of Us Part 1, Gran Turismo 7, Horizon Forbidden West, and God of War Ragnarok, not to mention updates that enhance PS4 versions of its most popular games, inclduing Last of Us Part 2 and God of War. Then there’s the handful of other exclusives like Stray, Kena Bridge of Spirits, and Final Fantasy 7 Remake, plus Director’s Cuts of smash hits Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding. In short, more than enough to tide fans over. Sure, Xbox has Xbox Game Pass, but where are the mega hits?

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It still annoys me that this is even being treated this way. This is NOT a Microsoft game. They simply opened their wallets and massively overspent to shrink the reach of this game to the least popular platform on the planet.

The idea that it could "redeem" the Xbox is just ridiculous to me. The only thing that can do that is for MS to actually have some truly home grown hits.

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
If that's your last hope, God have mercy on your soul.

But I'm sure the goalpost will move if it turns out to be a shitshow.

They'll say just wait for HellBlade 2, just wait for Avowed, just wait for Fable, just wait...........

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Destin stopped eating his cookies to post this on IGN. Is it the end for the most high-profile Xbox astroturfers website?

I personally think it does not matter how good or bad it ships, you are still going to have thousands of shills praising it as they did with Redfall, even more so with this particular game.

As a Fallout fan, I am still distraught, pissed off that this was taken away from me,

Again, with these types of games, much of this game's success will depend on the modding scene.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
They will give it 90-100, just like they give to all Halo games, even if a few weeks after they are complaining about how terrible it is....

I am just so jaded and cynical with most of the gaming media now.

If someone stayed around for the last 15 years on Xbox with how things have been, I have my doubts many would leave now due to Starfield not hitting the quality bar.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Trillion dollar company unable to pivot to success because everything they do suck and can only win by leveraging their money into monopoly. MS deserves what they’re getting. A string of bad decisions left them in this position.
And, make no mistake, Starfield will fail.
Also, the article should’ve mentioned the Nintendo games to embarrass Xbox further, because it’s amazing what Nintendo and other devs can accomplish with limited hardware in 2023.
Microsoft would NEVER be able to release something of the caliber of BOTW or GoW.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It's over then. Finally.

Too much artificial hype for this game and too much pressure, stuff like this doesn't usually end well, specially coming from a company who's last release was Fallout 76.

The footage of the game speaks for itself, it's No Man's Sky but almost a decade later, with terrible gameplay and built by a studio that is technically challenged.

• haha
Reactions: Killer_Sakoman

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yeah its a Bethesda main team game. Even if the combat sucks which it probably will and thats most the gameplay, it will be “deep enough” to get a 90+. Basically lots of talking and NPC’s.

No way media will let them down.

But Im calling all these WRPG from MS Talking Sims from now on. Bad combat, lots of talking with comical voice acting. Because Xbox fans would call every PS 3rd person game a cinematic walking simulator.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
He can smell the fear.

ezgif-2-a783f2bd98.gif

Yeah its a Bethesda main team game. Even if the combat sucks and thats most the gameplay, it will be deep enough to get a 90+
No way media will let them down.
Bethesda games are anything but deep, shallow is pretty much the adjective that best describes their games, wide and shallow.

• haha
Reactions: Cool hand luke

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
How many last chances do you need?

You're selling me a $300/500 product with an expected service life of 5+ years, I expect quality from the jump. Not waiting endlessly for the product to finally become good.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I personally think it does not matter how good or bad it ships, you are still going to have thousands of shills praising it

Yep, reviewers are gonna praise it too. It will get the Deathloop treatment but even more praise.

But i think if it scores less than 80. Its kinda over for Xbox, no recovery. Hellblade and Outerwilds are big enough names to change the narrative on Xbox

Reactions: Sircaw

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
It still annoys me that this is even being treated this way. This is NOT a Microsoft game. They simply opened their wallets and massively overspent to shrink the reach of this game to the least popular platform on the planet.

The idea that it could "redeem" the Xbox is just ridiculous to me. The only thing that can do that is for MS to actually have some truly home grown hits.
It matters for MS on one big front. If Starfield fails, it makes the whole Bethesda acquisition look like an abject failure.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko
D

Deleted member 417

Bookmark this post.

The media will say Starfield is xbox last chance. Then the media will fall all over themselves to explain why starfield is amazing, GOAT, despite it's flaws.

Thus isn't fanboyism, it's reading a script that gets played out time after time.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Expect Halo levels of shilling. "Best game ever" and the like.
not in the same year zelda released. I expect multiple-shill disorder conflicts as pundits try to resolve the conflict between sucking off nintendo, and getting a paycheck from microsoft.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Recycled script fishing for idiots. Every time. The only difference is as time goes by the pool of sheep is getting smaller and smaller. Unfortunately and fortunately for them, that pool is still not depleted, not in in the least bit.

Last edited: