Insomniac about Marvel's Wolverine: "We'll share news when the time is right, and the right time isn't now."

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
People are thirsty for Wolverine news? If you want to know what they are doing, the poor fuckers at Insomniac got all their shit leaked. I didn't look as I want a good first impression when Insomniac finally show it.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
This is a post about Insomniac saying they ain't showing Wolverine right now, they dropped SM2 last year. We've seen the leaks the game is in development, including the info that they really wanna go for a GOTY with a massive step up in fidelity with this title.

I get people wanting to be excited, but you know it's coming and the studio literally said not showing right now but people are upset at lack of communication. What?

Yeah Im happy they showed Wolverine when they did, and I dont need to see anymore till later. It would be a bonus to see some gameplay etc but Im glad they announced it and I can wait till its ready.
I was hoping for 2025 but 2026 is ok if the other studios are pulling there work and releasing stuff in 2025. Id rather have Wolverine quicker then Venom DLC.

Reactions: CrackmanNL

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Im not talking about sales. I think its important to have shows for your fans and letting them know what is coming. They were alot more engaged with fan during the PS4 era, E3, TGS, Playstation experience etc etc. I mean as a real fan I want to know and see more. I find it really weird if a fan doesnt want to see more stuff coming from PS.

It was pretty simple before, we knew in June we’d get a show for around E3, with plenty of announcements, and also when TGS or something else. Now its just a guessing game, and “leaks” and “rumours” from “sources” for months, over when a date for a show might be ll. Its just not needed and clearly isnt better for the fans lol. Do you prefer there current show strategy then before? Theres nothing about it that is better in my opinion lol
They now make more shows for the fans per year than in the E3 times. They also have now the PlayStation Blog and their social media channels.

Oh yeah Destiny 2 DLC, forgot about that. Maybe cause it doesnt feel like Playstation title as its coming to multiple platforms. Is there any other dates for PS studio games or exclusives?

Flatearthers or not, I cant remember a time when we didnt have a release date for a big game, exclusive for PS.

It just means you are impatient and are ignoring on purpose the marketing job done for all the other games.

Regarding fist party this year they just released 4 new games, a remaster and two PC ports this year and are about to release Destiny 2 The Final Shape. In addition to important 3rd party exclusive and multiplatform games. This is a ton of stuff that required to be marketed, so they focused their marketing there.

Once they released all this, they'll move to the next batch, the ones released the second half of the year and maybe early next one. Pretty likely early next month they'll have a showcase or State of Play where they will give release dates and show gameplay of many of these games plus annoouncing other ones, but will keep some of them to be shown in later State of Plays like the one for TGS, and maybe to give some announcements to the Doritos Pope in the Summer Shit of Shoveware or the Doritos Awards.

Maybe when we didnt have a date for Spiderman 2? Im comparing it to the past, Its not business as usual, its been happening last couple of years. During the PS2, PS3, PS4 you knew when the next big exclusive or PS studio game is coming out.
Maybe after Infamous 2nd Son?
They have now way more big and small releases and way more shows every year, so they spread the content across the different shows. On top of this, they prefer to keep announcements like gameplay debuts or release dates announcements closer to release to put less pressure on devs and reduce the complaints about downgrades and delays.

Last edited:

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
If you think a CEO is going to admit they missed because they fucked up... God damn. Of course they came up with excuses, and of course people are yet again ignoring that me and a few others predicted this. It's fantastic how we could predict this and suddenly the goalpost moves.

My favourite of these ones right now is the mental gymnastics the folks at Intel did for their Q1 earnings report.
They're losing tremendous amount of marketshare to AMD in laptops, Data Center & AI but they've and their foundries are in shambles but they've told investors not to worry they see forecast growth opportunities in the coming year with strong products coming(something they've been saying for years at this point).

Yeah Im happy they showed Wolverine when they did, and I dont need to see anymore till later. It would be a bonus to see some gameplay etc but Im glad they announced it and I can wait till its ready.

To be fair it was probably out of their(Insomniac/SIE) control really.
Through leaks and other Marvel projects in recent years, we've seen that Marvel often mandates that the announcement for those projects be announced very early after signing the contract.
It was the case for Wolverine, it is also the case with Blade and others that I can't recall on top of my head.

I guess they're using the same announcement formula as their movies which are always announced like 5 years before they come out.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I guess they're using the same announcement formula as their movies which are always announced like 5 years before they come out.

I prefer it this way. I liked knowing about a game 2/3/4 years before it came out.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Yes, they werent so popular back in PS1/ Early PS2 apart from PolyPhony.
I think studios like Japan Studios and Polyphony were classed as PS studios/ WWS/ Sony’s own 1st party studio etc back then.

They were considered first party, but all the studios were disparate back then. There was no unified leadership. They all reported up to regional SCE leaders.

Im just saying we dont have a date. Got reminded Destiny 2 DLC has a date, but not much else. We normally have a date for the next exclusive, PS Studio game etc etc

I believe it was the same right after Ragnarok shipped...

I dont know about Scapegoats, but its really simple. I want to know more about what is happening.
Not sure why your bring up titles that have come out, Im talking about whats coming. Apart from Desiny 2 DLC, which is a multiplatform game, we have no official dates on what games are coming out for PS ( Exclusive, PS Studios etc) Theres not been many times I could say thats happened before. I cant remember it

And there were probably reasons for that. Concord will probably release before Modern Warfare or they'll delay it if it isn't ready.

Until Dawn almost certainly has a VR mode on top of releasing for console and PC. That's a lot of moving parts. They probably aren't ready to commit to a specific date. It could even have a PS5 Pro launch date, which further complicates things.

Then there are games like Lost Soul Aside, which has been in development forever.

Im not talking about sales. I think its important to have shows for your fans and letting them know what is coming. They were alot more engaged with fan during the PS4 era, E3, TGS, Playstation experience etc etc. I mean as a real fan I want to know and see more. I find it really weird if a fan doesnt want to see more stuff coming from PS.

And the change in society has shifted how marketing works. They're engaging with fans in a different way that costs less money and has less impact on game development.

I didn't say I didn't want a showcase. I'm just telling you why there might not be one yet.

It was pretty simple before, we knew in June we’d get a show for around E3, with plenty of announcements, and also when TGS or something else. Now its just a guessing game, and “leaks” and “rumours” from “sources” for months, over when a date for a show might be ll. Its just not needed and clearly isnt better for the fans lol. Do you prefer there current show strategy then before? Theres nothing about it that is better in my opinion lol

I loved e3, sad that it is dead. I didn't say this was better. I said this is what Sony wants now.

Reactions: Kokoloko

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
So presenting facts without emotion is being a clown or troll, but responding to those facts with Mr. Rogers gifs, or name calling, would be... ?

Actually, I'm the one who presented facts.

I said that this was one of the top 2 or 3 years ever by sony. His response? It doesn't matter. lol

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Its the first time in genetations, where we dont have a game with a release date from the the PS studios.
Thats why people are annoyed.

The silent approach is just stupid, people get excited knowing games are coming. It also gives more reason for people to buy a PS5 when they know which games are coming.
Yeah, but we know when the game is due out and its two years from now. What gain is there to show from it. Its not like PS5 sales numbers are in the toilet and Sony has a bunch of 2nd party releases they are trying to monetize this year (FF7R, RotR, Stellar Blade, Helldivers and the internally developed Concord.) Announcing things super early never plays out in the long run.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
But its worked fine in the past. We knew about alot of games years before they come out
I'd argue that it hasn't worked out fine. At best it hasn't harmed a game or console, but it certainly hasn't helped either. Every delay at that point is an embaressment and some of them (Prime 4, Crackdown 3, modern Perfect Dark, FFXV, etc. ended up becoming jokes at the expense of their makers because of it.)

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
But its worked fine in the past. We knew about alot of games years before they come out

You only see it from your point of view.

From the developers point of view it leads to crunch and poor work/life balance. Costs more in marketing and takes resources away from game development. In the worst case can result in market fatigue and apathy.

I mean you can say you don't care about any of that because it doesn't impact you, but they care about it.

And there is no evidence that sales increase by announcing it early.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
You only see it from your point of view.

From the developers point of view it leads to crunch and poor work/life balance. Costs more in marketing and takes resources away from game development. In the worst case can result in market fatigue and apathy.

I mean you can say you don't care about any of that because it doesn't impact you, but they care about it.

And there is no evidence that sales increase by announcing it early.

Yeah I never thought about developer issues and stress tbh, it must be better for them.
I just like how it use to be and still is for alot of studios. I dont think theres that many disadvantages compared to the fan advantages

I dont think it will effect software sales, but knowing more games are coming does give more reason to buy a console

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Well, I'm a huge Wolverine fan...so that would suit me fine. Just hope they do justice to him.
It's got nothing to do with Wolverine but more that you have a bit of a claw fetish.

Message me for more pics, I got loads, filthy ones too.

mr_crabby_on_the_beach.jpg

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Yeah I never thought about developer issues and stress tbh, it must be better for them.
I just like how it use to be and still is for alot of studios. I dont think theres that many disadvantages compared to the fan advantages

I dont think it will effect software sales, but knowing more games are coming does give more reason to buy a console

No studios are under more pressure than Sony studios to deliver bangers. No publisher puts out more AAA bangers than Sony and now they're trying to extend that quality to GaaS.

Anything you can do to improve QoL for developers the better, especially for retention and recruitment of talent needed to deliver on these games.

The crunch probably resulted in poor retention which makes these AAA games more difficult to sustain.

Sony has all of this data. They aren't just being secretive to be secretive. Exit interviews, employee surveys, glassdoor e.t.c.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
No studios are under more pressure than Sony studios to deliver bangers. No publisher puts out more AAA bangers than Sony and now they're trying to extend that quality to GaaS.

Anything you can do to improve QoL for developers the better, especially for retention and recruitment of talent needed to deliver on these games.

The crunch probably resulted in poor retention which makes these AAA games more difficult to sustain.

Sony has all of this data. They aren't just being secretive to be secretive. Exit interviews, employee surveys, glassdoor e.t.c.
There's an axe dangling above the heads of teams at places like Square, Ubisoft, Microsoft, the former Embracer, Nordisk, Gearbox, etc. If anything, I'd say the Sony teams can sleep comparatively easy in today's climate compared to them.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
There's an axe dangling above the heads of teams at places like Square, Ubisoft, Microsoft, the former Embracer, Nordisk, Gearbox, etc. If anything, I'd say the Sony teams can sleep comparatively easy in today's climate compared to them.

That's a different kind of pressure. That's pressure from historically not delivering.