Introducing PlayStation Portal remote, Pulse Explore wireless earbuds, PlayStation Pulse Elite wireless headset

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
They will sell, how good is yet to be seen i for one will be getting one at some point as i can see a use for it in my life.
I have also seen others state that they are interested in getting one for the simple and easy way around multiple people wanting to use the TV.
People saying it costs to much confuses me.

PlayStation DualSense Midnight Black £59.95

DualSense Edge Wireless Controller £209.00 (Which is one of the best selling of the year)

PlayStation Portal £199

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
It’s a Wii U gamepad like device. It makes sense for families and Japanese households. I wouldn’t buy it but it might be for some people.
If you got unlimited 5G, which costs a lot.

I imagine it would cost more in US, since there is much distance between cellular center

D

Deleted member 223

Probably do less than a million, but that is a million dualsense moved so :unsure:
That's one way to look at it. From the specs it's clear they're selling this turd at a profit and it's a dualsense with a cheap LCD screen attached. There is no surprise hidden sauce in it. How much of a profit obviously only Sony knows. The problem is not so much that it's a turd, with a questionable market, at a questionable price but the opportunity cost of the whole enterprise. Not to mention failing to properly address the potential addressable market - leaving it open for competitors to capitalize upon as well as to continue to establish themselves with deep roots. The worst thing about not having a handheld, is having a turd handheld and legitmizing the competitors offerings value by way of comparison that goes into a consumer brain. The only chance it had was dirty cheap pricing, say $99.99 and even then mass market reach was questionable due to the lack of versatility of the product. IMO, it's a turd through and through, from the device to its usage potential/limitations, specs, the rollout and strategy behind it etc. It's an uninspired, mailed in "do-something for handheld" internal project that was clearly rushed, cut in scope etc. The saving grace is that it's a low cost failure, high reward type of offering. In that sense, if it bombs and is DOA, Jimmy won't have to sweat it when the accountant, aka Sony's CEO comes knocking.

Expecting more from Jimmy boy and team is not something anyone should bet on these days, for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
The top IGN comment 😂

Z3I9zsO.png

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
That's one way to look at it. From the specs it's clear they're selling this turd at a profit. How much of a profit obviously only Sony knows. The problem is not so much that it's a turd, with a questionable market, at a questionable price but the opportunity cost of the whole enterprise and the potential addressable market that is not being addressed and being left open for competitors to capitalize upon. The worst thing about not having a handheld, is having a turd handheld and legitmizing the competitors offerings value by way of comparison that goes into a consumer brain.
It is an accessory first and foremost, not really a handheld.

Reactions: ToTTenTranz
D

Deleted member 223

It is an accessory first and foremost, not really a handheld.
It's a handheld.

That's like saying the Switch TV dock is an accessory to the Switch handheld.

The distinction and categorization to "accessory" does nothing to affect the discussion of the product placement strategy. More like mental masturbation.

"It's an accessory" "It's ok if it's a turd" "don't compare it to proper handhelds in the market" "you gotta understand Sony's strategy here"...

The nonsense is coming for sure. The damage control talking points write themselves and are too predictable to even amuse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Playstation has the worst marketing department of all time

Are you all pretending DualSense Edge isn't selling like hotcakes? It was also announced via blog posts
PSVR2 problems are not marketing related, but software related, it's a good piece of tech without good software support.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
No cloud streaming?
I think it is possible in the future imo.... there is no techinical impediment at all.
If you can steam from PS5 to the device then your PS5 can be in any place since the internet allow a good steaming.
That means having a PS5 in Cloud can works too.

But right now it is not supported.

Reactions: Hezekiah

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Not even cloud capabilities.

They better market this thing right otherwise they'll have a PR nightmare when casuals pick it up.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
  • PlayStation Portal remote player
What a stupid fucking name.

• There is no Bluetooth available, so you won’t be able to connect to wireless headphones that way – not even PlayStation’s own Pulse 3D headset.
Wtf?

• Portal doesn’t run anything locally, not even basic apps. So if your Wi-Fi goes down or if someone else wants to use your PS5, it’s not going to work.
WiFi over Internet? data? Any chance to taking this POS outside the home?

• No lag experienced when playing games (by previewers)
I call BS.

... 200 GBP for this dummy/feature lacking device? Get fucking real. Looking mightily likely a ROG Ally is in my future. Absolute joke, Sony is becoming.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I'm so disgusted with this company, and their dumb asses don't seem to get... Well anything!

If this is Ryan, get him the fuck out whilst Sony still has some street cred to leech off of the PS4 days, or whatever. Might as well call this "portal" the "PS Apple Lisa", but we won't even be able to scrape some good things to say about it in the face of its buffoon decision making surrounding it.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
This thing will sellout like hotcakes on launch at least, while i think it should priced lower i don't think the price is that bad.

It's perfect for those of us who use remote play.

I don't want to use my phone anymore, as it's killing the battery as i have to charge it more often and notifications are getting in the way.

In the end this is an accessory, it doesn't really need to be selling millions and millions like other handhelds.

Reactions: gtjay1982