Introducing PlayStation Portal remote, Pulse Explore wireless earbuds, PlayStation Pulse Elite wireless headset

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Is Bluetooth LE even out? Heard a lot of rumbling about it over the years and it seems to have dropped off the planet. If so, any buds you’d recommend?
The Audeze Maxwell use the most relevant full LE Audio features: <40ms latency, LC3 for 16bit 48Khz and LC3plus for 24bit 96KHz.

My guess is Sony will be using LC3plus (not part of the BT5.3 spec) for the audio component of PS Link. Since It's not part of the spec, they can simply license the tech from Fraunhoffer and rebrand it. It's probably easier to do than getting LDAC to work on a low latency.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
The Audeze Maxwell use the most relevant full LE Audio features: <40ms latency, LC3 for 16bit 48Khz and LC3plus for 24bit 96KHz.

My guess is Sony will be using LC3plus (not part of the BT5.3 spec) for the audio component of PS Link. Since It's not part of the spec, they can simply license the tech from Fraunhoffer and rebrand it. It's probably easier to do than getting LDAC to work on a low latency.
I doubt it’s necessary to reinvent the wheel or license anything, Sony already has low latency wireless sound via the Dualsense, which is their own protocol I’d say.

Numero

29 Jul 2023
Should be $100 top

The Nintendo Switch and Steam Deck is a much better value than this lol
You can talk about value if they do the same thing. Switch can't use your PS5 and Portal doesn't run Switch games. You cannot compare value between a car and a boat since, it makes sound you silly.
If you want to play Zelda, why should you considering a PS Remote play device to begin with? And if you just want to play your PS5 in bed why should you buy a Nintendo console? A correct comparison would be for example: i'd just buy a controller for my smartphone or a dedicated device for my needs?

Reactions: gtjay1982

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
You can talk about value if they do the same thing.

Offer x Price. And for what PSR offers as a product, it's not worth the price.

Switch can't use your PS5 and Portal doesn't run Switch games. You cannot compare value between a car and a boat since, it makes sound you silly.

That doesnt mean much when you dont need the Portal to play PS5 Games.

If you want to play Zelda, why should you considering a PS Remote play device to begin with? And if you just want to play your PS5 in bed why should you buy a Nintendo console? A correct comparison would be for example: i'd just buy a controller for my smartphone or a dedicated device for my needs?

Again: Offer x Price. This isnt about what you want to play, it's about what is a better value overall to you as a consumer.

If you think the Remote is a better value to you, you will buy it regardeless if the company is ripping you off or not. That's called brand fetishism, it's why Apple consumers spend $1000 a year on a new Iphone with no new features and no charging cable; and that's why alot of people will buy the Remote, even when it has a shitty battery life, no 5G play capabilities and no PlayStation Plus support without a PS5.

Last edited:

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
Yes they are lazy.... Are you fucking serious?

Edit: how can you say PS Portal isn't lazy, but own a GPD Win 4 my man? You literally know better from first hand experience?

The product isn't "lazy", it's just not up to scratch considering its landscape of contemporaries. You can say the direction of the product is missing the mark, but I still say that falls under market research laziness/cash grab mentality from PS staff.
Yes, I have a Win 4, and Max 2, and an Odin, and a Steam Deck, plus more. However, what I've found it just that I don't want any more "do-it-all" devices. Sure, The Portal might be a bit limited and PS now streaming would be great, and I hope it's coming, especially if you can stream any game you own from the cloud even if it's not on the service, (but I have no interest in cloud streaming at all, even with my low-ping fibre broadband... it's nothing than a curios IMO) the point is, I'm growing increasingly interested in dedicated devices that do dedicated things and are honed and refined toward specific tasks; which is what the PlayStation Portal appears to be and with this outlook on the device, PlayStation might have a winner on their hands if they can get the loca streaming stability rock solid and latency down to the bare minimum.

With practically all the other devices I own, I feel that I suffer from option paralysis. Take the Steam Deck for example... I spent untold hours messing around with emulation, getting emudeck and emulation station all set up with hundreds of games... but in the end, I'm not that interested in playing any of them as I have all the original hardware anyway and I have a deep distrust of the accuracy of the experience I am getting through software emulation. Something always just feels off the deeper I go into the types of games I enjoy, like racing and action. For example, Ridge Racer 2 on PPSSPP... When I play on PSP or VITA, I can get through the EX Tours no problem, but on the SD, I was playing for almost an hour on one event and I couldn't get passed it. I played it again on my VITA and passed it on my third try. It could be down to the familiarity with the controls, but something just almost always feels off when I emulate and I can't put my finger on it. I believe it's to do with frame pacing, but I can't be certain. So outside of emulation, what's the point of all these handhelds? Almost every review you see of these handhelds puts so much emphasis on emulation, but for me, while emulation is good for preservation only, but for actual gaming, I have practically zero interest in software emulation. So after emulation, what's left? Native games of course! and that is exactly the point of the Portal. I have big library of Digital PS games that I just never stream to any of the devices for various reasons but the chief reason being that I feel like I'm missing out on the haptics, so PS streaming through Chiaki with any other device is sub-par IMO.

The Win 4, as I mentioned in another thread, I never really use at all - it's simply too uncomfortable for my hands.
The Max 2 I just put it up for sale today cos it's literally collecting dust.
The Odin Pro is a lovely device and I'm going to keep it as my only decent Android device. I had the option of a €269 Odin 2 Pro just staring at me when I got the secret super early bird code, but I didn't even bother. I thought to myself that I would honestly prefer the Portal or a second Steam Deck than another Odin that I know I won't use.

What I am a huge fan of also is local streaming through sunlight/moonlight. This setup using my 5800X3D + 3080 for PC games and productivity apps anywhere in my building is spectacular because I have absolute faith in my wired LAN and wifi router setup and want that same thing feeling but for my PS5. People saying you can use your phone with a backbone or other similar solutions are missing the point I believe. Yes, you can do something similar with a phone or Steam Deck, but it's inherently a non-native experience and is not a good substitute for native on-device gaming or streaming from PC which offers practically a 1:1 experience, but even in this case, there is a tonne of friction, from turning on the device and loading the app, and waiting, and the interfaces aren't really geared for quick pickup and play. Whereas the experience that the Portal is going is said to just connect almost instantly; you turn on the device, PS5 wakes up and you're in. No messing around or the potential to be distracted by something else when all you want to do is just connect to the PS5.

Having said all that, I'm still not 100% sold on the Portal. I really wish it had an OLED display or video-out capability through DisplayPort Alt-mode so I can use it with a pair of AR glasses when the time calls for it, but I am definitely interested in it. The DualSense is uber comfortable and if it can just achieve everything it sets out to achieve in offering an instant Portal into my PS5 without too many gotchas, there's an exceedingly high chance I'm going to take the plunge.

tl;dr,I literally don't want another jack-of-all-trades device.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Not going to argue on here but I'll say my opinion , the portal is stupid it does nothing your android phone can't
There are fundamental quality of life differences. It’s aiming for a frictionless experience - pickup and play, full fat dual sense control on a screen size suitable for games designed for a big screen.

Say what you will, but I would never remote play outside of a curio, but this transforms that potential.

Numero

29 Jul 2023
Again: Offer x Price. This isnt about what you want to play, it's about what is a better value overall to you as a consumer.

If you think the Remote is a better value to you, you will buy it regardeless if the company is ripping you off or not. That's called brand fetishism, it's why Apple consumers spend $1000 a year on a new Iphone with no new features and no charging cable; and that's why alot of people will buy the Remote, even when it has a shitty battery life, no 5G play capabilities and no PlayStation Plus support without a PS5.
It's pretty nonsense to compare different products anyway. You can even compare an iPhone, a Switch and an arcade machine but what is the point other than sound sily?
Everyone judges the value of a product from offer x price x need perspective.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
He didn't mention screen size, did he?
"Does nothing your android phone can't".
Well for starters, it does show text UI elements at a size I can actually read, which is certainly not nothing.

Sure you could buy an Android tablet, but that's not a phone, and it's something not everyone has, unlike the smartphone.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Well for starters, it does show text UI elements at a size I can actually read, which is certainly not nothing.

Sure you could buy an Android tablet, but that's not a phone, and it's something not everyone has, unlike the smartphone.

Does screen size prevent the game from showing text? Then no, you have no argument.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

And well, I don't know any Android phone or tablet with the half of a DualSense attached to each side

Reactions: ToTTenTranz