Introducing PlayStation Portal remote, Pulse Explore wireless earbuds, PlayStation Pulse Elite wireless headset

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Meh. Zero interest in this one. Might be good in Japan but I doubt it'll do much anywhere else, especially since marketing has been weak. People might end up picking this thinking it's akin to a steam deck and end up disappointed.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Remote playing from Spain. PS5 is in The UK

So what's with the inconsistency?

Like I say, my PS5 console is hardwired into router, on M350 Fibre Broadband connection from Virgin Media. I can't do much more than that, Internet package is already a bitch of a cost each month where it's currently sat at.

As described elsewhere on forums, I can be OK one day in bath/back garden on Android PS remote play app/Android PSPlay app, or Windows PS remote play app, but the next day in exact same spots, it will barely connect, or gets kicked off every 5 mins.

Further away from home, on bus, trying to do remote play on unlimited mobile data, is still a joke. From a 40 minute bus journey, I was able to get a literal 5 mins or so, where it was too pixilated and required some double taps to make inputs register. It wasn't good enough to play Tetris Effect Connected ffs.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022

Like I say, my PS5 console is hardwired into router, on M350 Fibre Broadband connection from Virgin Media. I can't do much more than that, Internet package is already a bitch of a cost each month where it's currently at.

As described elsewhere on forums, I can be OK one day in bath/back garden on Android PS remote play app/ android PSPlay, or Windows PS temote play app, but the next day in exact same spots, it will barely connect, or gets kicked off every 5 mins.

Further away from home, on bus, trying to do remote play on unlimited mobile data, is still a joke. From a 40 minute bus journey, I was able to get a literal 5 mins or so, where it was too pixilated and required some double taps to make inputs register. It want good enough to play Tetris Effect Connected ffs.
You need to check the routing of your isp, it may be bouncing you half way around the world before coming into your home.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Uh... How would I check this?
Sorry, I’m not full bottle. Something like a traceroute command in windows dos prompt.

I was once with an isp that had me bouncing to a diff city 3,000 km away because that’s how their cdn was setup. Changed out of that asap.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

How long will the newly announced Remote Play handheld PS Portal’s battery last? While there were rumours recently it could dip as low as a couple of hours, Sony’s told CNET that it’s aiming for the same battery life as the DualSense controller. Depending on what you read, that can average anywhere from four hours to 12 hours – although our experience is generally on the lower side

Considering the PS Portal is designed to be used in the home, as a kind of secondary screen device when someone’s already occupying the television or when you’re upstairs in bed, we don’t think this device necessarily needs a gigantic battery. What’s the sweet spot for you? Would you be satisfied with a solid six or so hours?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Well then Sony are not only stupid in face of Deck encroaching on console market, but they're actively involved in giving their games to Steam/Deck. They're building a current competitor and building their future better than their own.

Yeah, I get what it is that they are making? And it's shit. My opinion isn't negated by restating what they're doing? I'm commenting on that very thing.
The portable market was a total failure for Sony with the Vita, because they didn't have enough teams to supply both a portable console and a home console with enough catalog. In addition to this, Vita also lacked support from big 3rd parties, just like the Switch, because big publishers -like Sony- are focused on the high end consoles and PC, where their money is. Toned down ports for portable consoles don't work.

For them is better to only port the games as they are, without needing to downgrade it to PC. These ports are easy, cheap to make and generate a lot of revenue and profits. PC includes SteamDeck, so the more SteamDeck sells the better for Sony, because they will make more money.

Sony is breaking records of revenue with their accesories like gamepads, headsets and PSVR2. PS Portal is another premium PS5 gamepad, this time with a display on it to see there PS5 games played Remore Play. PS Portal is not a PC handheld or a portable console and doesn't try to compete with them since it doesn't run native games. It's a PS5 gamepad accesory with a display to use it for Remote Play. It's very easy to understand, if someone doesn't see or undersand the difference then maybe the stupid one here isn't Sony.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Like I say, my PS5 console is hardwired into router, on M350 Fibre Broadband connection from Virgin Media. I can't do much more than that, Internet package is already a bitch of a cost each month where it's currently sat at.

As described elsewhere on forums, I can be OK one day in bath/back garden on Android PS remote play app/Android PSPlay app, or Windows PS remote play app, but the next day in exact same spots, it will barely connect, or gets kicked off every 5 mins.

Further away from home, on bus, trying to do remote play on unlimited mobile data, is still a joke. From a 40 minute bus journey, I was able to get a literal 5 mins or so, where it was too pixilated and required some double taps to make inputs register. It wasn't good enough to play Tetris Effect Connected ffs.
It can be a lot of things, this would apply for any cloud gaming system:
  • Playing via wifi instead of via wired. Wifi adds extra latency, lower speed, way more packages lost, etc.
  • In case of using wifi, add on top that some days or hours you may have more or less interferences with neighbors (not only with using wifi in other nearby LANs)
  • Having other devices like phones, PCs, consoles, etc connected to one of the two LANs watching streamed stuff like Netflix or YouTube, playing games, updating the OS in the background etc.
  • Bad/not optimal router configuration in one of two sides
  • One day having more internet traffic between the two spots, meaning that packages have to search an alternalive, longer
The system/service is consistent, it should be one or multiple of the other variables the ones who change.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
The portable market was a total failure for Sony with the Vita, because they didn't have enough teams to supply both a portable console and a home console with enough catalog. In addition to this, Vita also lacked support from big 3rd parties, just like the Switch, because big publishers -like Sony- are focused on the high end consoles and PC, where their money is. Toned down ports for portable consoles don't work.

The Vita was physically hamstrung by lack of of L2,R2,LS,RS. Jesus Christ, someone start listening. Moreso than any price issues for storage, carrier choice, even software library/3rd party support. If it had just have had those buttons, I could have done MUCH BETTER in the face of any ropey games library support, by playing digital PS3/PS4 Store downloaded digital games, or Remote playing the home consoles. Just... fuck off to the people, complaining about there's not enough to support for its own game library back then for Vita or now for a PS4P, no one even wants that. Some people saying theirs a division between portable gaming and console gaming. Even on launch PSP1 people were throwing PS1 iso's on there and doing what we could. Maybe a lesser class of gaming is fine for you, tapping away over on your phone or DS, but that ain't it chief.

On Vita, was everyone supposed to hit up some Asian site and grapht an L2/R2 button attachment onto their Vita, and still in need of proper LS, RS? Sony are fucking stupid.

For them is better to only port the games as they are, without needing to downgrade it to PC. These ports are easy, cheap to make and generate a lot of revenue and profits. PC includes SteamDeck, so the more SteamDeck sells the better for Sony, because they will make more money.
Wow it's a bit of PC money, in the face of piracy or youtube movies. Wouldn't have to waste that development time and resources, or the money to buy Nixxes for PC ports, as they're already still doing PS4 cross play with many games, it's a PS4 port which doubles-up as the portable access to it.

It's a harder sell later for PS6 because this gen, you've weened people away to play on PC/Deck & friends, where they get a confluence of cheaper retail price, mods/fixes, feature unlocking/tweaking that console version doesn't have, plus portablity and extra emulation etc.

Look around. I've lost count of how many PC portables there are out or incoming. But Sony could get that game sale, that portable device sale, and recoup more retail and mtx price split because it's all in their ecosystem. But the device itself should be more complete/feature rich. Not a remote play only controller. C'mon, you "know" what people are saying but seem to be being deliberately obtuse.

Sony is breaking records of revenue with their accesories like gamepads, headsets and PSVR2. PS Portal is another premium PS5 gamepad, this time with a display on it to see there PS5 games played Remore Play. PS Portal is not a PC handheld or a portable console and doesn't try to compete with them since it doesn't run native games. It's a PS5 gamepad accesory with a display to use it for Remote Play. It's very easy to understand, if someone doesn't see or undersand the difference then maybe the stupid one here isn't Sony.
Yes and I'm not saying it IS a fully featured like it's contemporaries that are eating into Sony's foundation, as MS do the same on the software side. My whole point is that Sony are stupid for half assing it/coasting on PS4 momentum. Or they're short sighted, releasing this POS when Deck and friends are already here. Simply telling me what they're doing, which I already know, as a reply doesn't address anything.

If Sony's/your attitude is "duh, well, we just gonna release a half product and not what people want", then they deserve to get slapped upside the head.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
It can be a lot of things, this would apply for any cloud gaming system:
  • Playing via wifi instead of via wired. Wifi adds extra latency, lower speed, way more packages lost, etc.
  • In case of using wifi, add on top that some days or hours you may have more or less interferences with neighbors (not only with using wifi in other nearby LANs)
  • Having other devices like phones, PCs, consoles, etc connected to one of the two LANs watching streamed stuff like Netflix or YouTube, playing games, updating the OS in the background etc.
  • Bad/not optimal router configuration in one of two sides
  • One day having more internet traffic between the two spots, meaning that packages have to search an alternalive, longer
The system/service is consistent, it should be one or multiple of the other variables the ones who change.
Again, I am aware, in general of how the Internet works. My point is that it's not reliable enough to depend on remote play only. You miss the point of what people are saying and just source/retell the pr statements most of the time. You are a good Bing. Sony not even supporting PS+ cloud streaming, is simply ridiculous.

Right so even if Sony's service blew the nuts off anything, it's subject to the trials and tribulations of Internet infrastructure setup. How do we do better and solve all these issues, give the portable device the best chance of support and survival? Why, we give it local storage of course, we allow cloud streaming as well as remote play. As is, it's a POS.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I think this is going to be bigger than some people think. There is non gaming twitter account that talked about this thing and it already has 12 million views. For whatever twitter views are worth that is.

• Surprised
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I think this is going to be bigger than some people think. There is non gaming twitter account that talked about this thing and it already has 12 million views. For whatever twitter views are worth that is.
And as you make that point, are these non gaming twitter people understanding what it offeres, or assuming it naturally carries more abilities than it does?

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Remote playing from Spain. PS5 is in The UK

Bro I remote play two times a week from queens to Manhattan which is over 100 miles and it's almost always worked great! It's been working like that for me for years. Bunch a haters or ppl living in west bubble fuck with no good internet or just trolls that never tried it were hating, talking shit!

Reactions: gtjay1982

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Damn Earbuds at $200 is alot for me to spend only because I still have my ps headphones that have worked great for years (my golds).

24 Jun 2022

Wrong. The reason Vita failed was because of a bad marketing strategy on Sony's part and use of an overpriced proprietary memory card, in addition to other shortcomings @ksdixon said. Those were the biggest factors that contributed to early bad sales which in turn caused 3P to taper off support for the device.

Also you are hilariously using 'high-end consoles' as an unironic definition. I see you've let the FTC bait-and-switch you into a market definition only they defined & created. GGs. Can't wait for the next spreadsheet seminar.

Last edited:
Reactions: ksdixon

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
And as you make that point, are these non gaming twitter people understanding what it offeres, or assuming it naturally carries more abilities than it does?
I dont know, i didnt really look through the comments. Im just surprised it got that many views.

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
So I just stumbled on this

The guy is spreading misinformation and basically says the Portal doesn't have an audio jack which it does... He even shows a fucking screenshot of a tweet from the Microsoft shill Tom Warren bashing the device.

While bluetooth would be great it often introduced audio latency in gaming. Regardless anyone can use wired headphones or headset.

And he compares it to apple phones having no audio jack... Unbelievable

Add another point for Microsoft astroturfing

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
So I just stumbled on this

The guy is spreading misinformation and basically says the Portal doesn't have an audio jack which it does... He even shows a fucking screenshot of a tweet from the Microsoft shill Tom Warren bashing the device.

While bluetooth would be great it often introduced audio latency in gaming. Regardless anyone can use wired headphones or headset.

And he compares it to apple phones having no audio jack... Unbelievable

Add another point for Microsoft astroturfing
Using Tom Warren as a source is a joke... I expected better from MKBHD, he should've at least known it can use a headphone jack....

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
Using Tom Warren as a source is a joke... I expected better from MKBHD, he should've at least known it can use a headphone jack....

He does on Twitter (probably after he realized his mistake) than goes ahead and suggests you need to be in the same house to use remote play...

Just constant misinformation. Very disappointing from him. Seems like he learned all his info about the device from that Tom Warren tweet.