it's not that Sony's PC strategy is bad, it's just that is bad executed

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
We are about to find out that instead of going all in on PSVR Sony will now be supporting PCVR including the Quest.

To me it seems people haven't yet realized the entire cost of PlayStation supporting PC, it pretty much killed their output going forward.

After being on a roll for over 10 years as soon as they started to support PC things dried up completely in no time.

Another person who sees things and creates a causation relationship where it doesn't exist.

One of the oldest logical fallacies in the book and common to people who don't actually try to do analysis.

Let's start out with your argument that things are "dried up"

I'm assuming you're angry because there isn't a major AAA first party game this year. Over the course of the 10 years you mentioned i.e. 2014. Has Sony ever not released a major franchise AAA title?

2014 was pretty light with only Infamous Second Son
2015 was just as light
2016 only had Uncharted 4 and Last Guardian (a game itself that was delayed and delayed, where was the PC version to blame for this)
2017 only had Horizon as an original IP

So first I think part of the problem is that people have an extremely selective memory.
Second part of the problem is that people have no idea or at least understanding that games take way longer to develop now than they did 10 years ago.
Third part of the problem is that people like to compare the end of a generation to the start of a generation and they do that almost every generation.

None of this has anything to do with PC development. So while that might "grind your gears" because you're a fanboy who takes some semblance of value in a game releasing exclusively on console, your argument really holds no weight.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
GAF isn't what determines why someone does anything.

When Starfield came out A LOT of people played it on PC GamePass since they were able to play it for like a dollar. I myself even tried it on for almost nothing on GeforceNow, mostly just to test out GeforceNow. And while GAF doesn't matter this certainly was a narrative on GAF.

It's not just that it was PC GamePass, but that created the lowest barrier of entry to buy Xbox games and there was really little reason to buy an Xbox at all.

As I said, the collapse started because they couldn't create any system sellers as well.

I swear some people read what they want and ignore everything else you say just to create a straw man.
I said GAF because you're on it but it can be any article, comments section, twitter or forum.

What you're saying makes no sense. A CONSOLE gamer had no intention to buy a PC but then when PC GP Day 1 happened they changed their mind and got a PC? Yeah these people don't exist. Made-up fake people.

No, people moved on from the console because of PC/Steam and then some of them moved to PC GP (Microsoft Store) so Steam lost some sales but these people were already lost on console. That makes more sense and it's the reality. These people on PC/Steam were already gone.

As I said just read any comments about the Xbox console, customers didn't buy it because all games are on PC. Adding PC GP Day 1 on top is creating a fake narrative.

Console gamers were fine until that point but they got rid of their consoles to subscribe to PC GP and buy a PC? Absolute bullshit 🙄

They were also bragging about the Forza Horizon sales on Steam. That's not enough a system seller for you?

I don't know why it's so hard for you PC supporters to admit there's an impact on console sales when the games are on Steam. It's the most obvious and basic shit.

Reactions: arvfab and JAHGamer

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
2015 was just as light
NVmnBXze9ElHzU6SmykrJLIV.png

I confess I won't read what you posted, I'm not interested in people that keep making excuse for Sony. It's not my job to blindly cheer for them.

I know my own tastes and my own experience with PlayStation since the PS3 days, this gen has been very weak on to software front, some decent games but very few special games if any. Helldivers 2 is probably the best game Sony released this gen.

Reactions: Etifilio

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
I said GAF because you're on it but it can be any article, comments section, twitter or forum.

What you're saying makes no sense. A CONSOLE gamer had no intention to buy a PC but then when PC GP Day 1 happened they changed their mind and got a PC? Yeah these people don't exist. Made-up fake people.

I'm saying that they took away any incentive for anyone to look at their console and say, I need to go buy that. Most people already have PCs, it's one of the reasons why PC gaming is so successful. The percentage of people specifically buying gaming PCs isn't nearly as large as you'd think. So they already have a PC. The question becomes do they buy a console for a game or do they just play it on their PC. The only value in buying an Xbox is GamePass at this point, which is why the hardware has sold, but the software isn't.

No, people moved on from the console because of PC/Steam and then some of them moved to PC GP (Microsoft Store) so Steam lost some sales but these people were already lost on console. That makes more sense and it's the reality. These people on PC/Steam were already gone.
Most PCs sold to consumers today come with decent graphics cards. I think you somehow believe everyone is out there buying or building gaming PCs in order to become a PC gamer.

As I said just read any comments about the Xbox console, customers didn't buy it because all games are on PC. Adding PC GP Day 1 on top is creating a fake narrative.

Console gamers were fine until that point but they got rid of their consoles to subscribe to PC GP and buy a PC? Absolute bullshit 🙄

It was a massive narrative when Starfield came out. Maybe you just weren't listening. Selective listening seems to be your strong suit.
They were also bragging about the Forza Horizon sales on Steam. That's not enough a system seller for you?

I don't know why it's so hard for you PC supporters to admit there's an impact on console sales when the games are on Steam. It's the most obvious and basic shit.

Forza Horizon is a system seller now? LOL okay.

Note for you to consider, I don't play PC games at all.

It's ironic how all over the place your argument is. On one hand you say console gamers aren't going to PC and then you say it has an impact... which is it?

I confess I won't read what you posted, I'm not interested in people that keep making excuse for Sony. It's not my job to blindly cheer for them.

I know my own tastes and my own experience with PlayStation since the PS3 days, this gen has been very weak on to software front, some decent games but very few special games if any. Helldivers 2 is probably the best game Sony released this gen.

Bloodborne isn't a 1st party game, nor did it sell super well.

I'm glad you didn't read the thread where I absolutely dunked on you.

Objectively it hasn't been weak. Whether you individually have liked the games I'm not going to get into. I'm not here to debate your interests in games.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

returnal

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Forza Horizon is a system seller now? LOL okay.

Note for you to consider, I don't play PC games at all.
Forza Horizon is more popular than Returnal, Ratchet or other PS5 exclusive that you would consider system sellers 🤷‍♂️

They bought it on Steam and there was no need to get the consoles. Halo Infinite, Gears, Sea of Thieves, everything was coming. They had already moved on to PC.

People hate the Microsoft store, they buy on Steam even when it's "free" on MS Store. PC GP by itself is not the huge selling point you think it is.

It's ironic how all over the place your argument is. On one hand you say console gamers aren't going to PC and then you say it has an impact... which is it?
Yes console gamers are going to PC but not necessarily because of GP like you were pretending. PC, Steam, GP, everything has an impact.

If you're watching a TV show on Disney+ and all future seasons are coming to Netflix, would you keep both subscriptions? Of course not. Are you paying for Apple Music and Spotify? No.

Why are we doing mental gymnastics for Playstation games when we all know the truth?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Neversummer

Zexyen

26 Mar 2024
We are about to find out that instead of going all in on PSVR Sony will now be supporting PCVR including the Quest.

To me it seems people haven't yet realized the entire cost of PlayStation supporting PC, it pretty much killed their output going forward.

After being on a roll for over 10 years as soon as they started to support PC things dried up completely in no time.
How is it suddenly PCVR (which is completely dried up right now) & Quest's Fault that PSVR2 is failing?

Sony dropped 3 PSVR2 titles (one of which is just a VR Mode in GT7) and then basically peaced out of the hardware segment. VR Game Development is even worse off than gaming in general because it's such a small install base and most of these developers have to do exclusivity deals to actually survive (See Sanzaru & Asgard's Wrath 2 being Quest Exclusive). If Sony actualled cared about moving the hardware we'd see more than the absolutely stale launch calendar for PSVR2. And that's not even mentioning the completely bizarre lack of BC for PSVR1 titles, making an already tiny pool of games even smaller.

Sony is moving towards making PSVR2 Compatible with PC because it's the only way they're going to be able to actually move the hardware at this point because who the hell is going to buy it on PS5 when you get 1 game every 3 months?

1713900765.png

This is from r/PSVR's Launch Calendar, There's currently only 8 Games with confirmed dates for the entirety of 2024.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Pushing VR forward would do more for gaming that another Ubisoftian open world with tackled in marvel licenses. So if Sony wants to use their hardware on PC that would be great.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Zexyen

Zexyen

26 Mar 2024
I think Xbox collapsed due to a series of reasons combined:
  • Lack of the need to buy their games because of being ALL OF THEM and specialy DAY ONE not only in PC, but also in GP
  • Too long period of time with a tiny amount of great 1st party titles
  • Lack of extra reasons to remain in their console, with at least enough appealing console exclusive games from previous generations not available in PC, console VR games or stuff like that
  • PS4 & PS5 getting way more great console exclusives, and many multiplatform games performing better in PS when they were told Xbox was more powerful
I think part of their fanbase has been moving ot PC (something MS wanted) and oher part has been moving to PS, now in the future even more if they see MS will start releasing all their stuff there.

And MS will be happpy with this because they will make way more money than when they were only making Xbox games.
The writing was on the wall for Microsoft the day GP was announced. If GP was more like Uplay+ or EA Access where you got Their first party catalog after ~6 months or so it would've sold well while still keeping their Quarterly earnings up for game launches. Instead they went and did day 1 launches to entice people to subscribe and now all you get are mediocre launches from their studios with 0 support or follow-up. We went from having a semi-strong lineup from Microsoft releasing decent if not great titles in 2015-2018 like Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon 3 & 4, State of Decay 2, Etc. To having an absolutely abysmal lineup of just flat out broken titles.
  • Redfall: Completely missed the mark for an Arkane developed title & was just a complete flop
  • Halo Infinite: released in a rushed state with 0 content planned & no proper roadmap or fixes.
  • Starfield: released in a completely shoddy state on PC despite the long development time
  • Forza Motorsport: 80% of it's promises weren't even true, and the game is just FM7 with a fresh coat of paint.
  • Minecraft Legends: literally who asked for this?

I honestly don't see how gamepass is going to last the decade at this rate when it's basically a money pit. Supposedly every publisher increased prices for games from $60 -> $70 because "Game Development has become more expensive" Yet Microsoft thinks that dropping 7+ Year developed games into a service with the buy-in of $1-12/mo is a grand idea?

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
How is it suddenly PCVR (which is completely dried up right now) & Quest's Fault that PSVR2 is failing?

Sony dropped 3 PSVR2 titles (one of which is just a VR Mode in GT7) and then basically peaced out of the hardware segment. VR Game Development is even worse off than gaming in general because it's such a small install base and most of these developers have to do exclusivity deals to actually survive (See Sanzaru & Asgard's Wrath 2 being Quest Exclusive). If Sony actualled cared about moving the hardware we'd see more than the absolutely stale launch calendar for PSVR2. And that's not even mentioning the completely bizarre lack of BC for PSVR1 titles, making an already tiny pool of games even smaller.

Sony is moving towards making PSVR2 Compatible with PC because it's the only way they're going to be able to actually move the hardware at this point because who the hell is going to buy it on PS5 when you get 1 game every 3 months?

1713900765.png

This is from r/PSVR's Launch Calendar, There's currently only 8 Games with confirmed dates for the entirety of 2024.
What I said has nothing to do with PCVR or Quest killing PSVR2. Just an observation that once again Sony will be focused on serving PC what they want over building something special for PlayStation players.

This is the first gen where PlayStation library is nothing special (last gen too since they decided to port everything to PC).

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Neversummer

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The writing was on the wall for Microsoft the day GP was announced. If GP was more like Uplay+ or EA Access where you got Their first party catalog after ~6 months or so it would've sold well while still keeping their Quarterly earnings up for game launches. Instead they went and did day 1 launches to entice people to subscribe and now all you get are mediocre launches from their studios with 0 support or follow-up. We went from having a semi-strong lineup from Microsoft releasing decent if not great titles in 2015-2018 like Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon 3 & 4, State of Decay 2, Etc. To having an absolutely abysmal lineup of just flat out broken titles.
  • Redfall: Completely missed the mark for an Arkane developed title & was just a complete flop
  • Halo Infinite: released in a rushed state with 0 content planned & no proper roadmap or fixes.
  • Starfield: released in a completely shoddy state on PC despite the long development time
  • Forza Motorsport: 80% of it's promises weren't even true, and the game is just FM7 with a fresh coat of paint.
  • Minecraft Legends: literally who asked for this?

I honestly don't see how gamepass is going to last the decade at this rate when it's basically a money pit. Supposedly every publisher increased prices for games from $60 -> $70 because "Game Development has become more expensive" Yet Microsoft thinks that dropping 7+ Year developed games into a service with the buy-in of $1-12/mo is a grand idea?
Many years ago, MS started to move their focus away from their own console a while ago, to a more multiplatform approach using Windows as their main platform, once they realized that couldn't compete against Sony and Nintendo as console platform holders or selling first party games.

They also had the "brilliant" idea of trying to compete against Sony's game subs making "the Netflix of videogames", which would be way more appealing because it was going to feature games being included there day one, including all their first party titles.

Obviously it was a terrible idea, because their 1st party lineup has been a joke in terms of quality and quantity in most cases, and a big portion of the games included in GP have a bad or mediocre quality. So many players joined it, specially via free months bundled in many places, $1 trials or $1 upgrades. But not sure how many of them stayed there to pay later like $200/year.

Devs obviously didn't want to have a gatekeeper deciding who was going to make money that month, even less when the payment from MS to compensate the lost sales for including games there in many cases wasn't good enough, and because since their main revenue source as publishers or devs were game sales, didn't want to see the players spending all their game time and gaming budget on a game sub instead of in bought games. So in addition to lose player support they also lost dev/publisher support.

The business model of that gamesub is a suicide, they were trying to see if Sony and Nintendo followed it to see them go bankrupt, but they obviously aren't stupid and kept a profitable game sub model instead, using it as a secondary thing for old games that no longer are selling anymore.

So that also did help to kill Xbox a bit faster, helping them to their -I think- has been their long term plan: to become a full multiplatform publisher, being in the long term a 3rd party in consoles, and having Windows as their main platform and mobile as their main revenue source.

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024

In 2026, it will be even more “fun” when Valve, through third-party influencers, will launch SteamDeck 2, and it will showcase Sony games, from TLOU to Ghost of Tsushima and SpiderMan...

In addition, they will probably mention the possibility of launching Nintendo Switch 1 (and possibly NS2) games, but not so directly. The new generation of AMD APUs will receive the latest instruction sets that will allow better emulation of NS1, PS3, X360, and probably NS2 hardware.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
In 2026, it will be even more “fun” when Valve, through third-party influencers, will launch SteamDeck 2, and it will showcase Sony games, from TLOU to Ghost of Tsushima and SpiderMan...

In addition, they will probably mention the possibility of launching Nintendo Switch 1 (and possibly NS2) games, but not so directly. The new generation of AMD APUs will receive the latest instruction sets that will allow better emulation of NS1, PS3, X360, and probably NS2 hardware.
You bet Valve will display Sony games front and center. Like you said, they were pretty ok with people using Switch games when covering the Deck.

Valve has the strongest position in the traditional gaming market right now, Steam Deck 2 and the inevitable Steam non-portable console have everything to gradually take over market share from other consoles, they just have too much going into their favor (best store, best library, free online, free cloud saves, best prices, etc) and Sony doesn't seem to realize what they are doing.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
You bet Valve will display Sony games front and center. Like you said, they were pretty ok with people using Switch games when covering the Deck.

Valve has the strongest position in the traditional gaming market right now, Steam Deck 2 and the inevitable Steam non-portable console have everything to gradually take over market share from other consoles, they just have too much going into their favor (best store, best library, free online, free cloud saves, best prices, etc) and Sony doesn't seem to realize what they are doing.
I actually think Valve needs to be careful. Now that Xbox is going into PC hybrids, they are going to face the full force of Microsoft's bullshit PR machine. They need to quickly cement the Steamdeck as the default PC gaming handheld/accessory because if not their little Proton project is about to get squished beneath the weight of 10,000 shills.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I actually think Valve needs to be careful. Now that Xbox is going into PC hybrids, they are going to face the full force of Microsoft's bullshit PR machine. They need to quickly cement the Steamdeck as the default PC gaming handheld/accessory because if not their little Proton project is about to get squished beneath the weight of 10,000 shills.
MS has no chance on PC against Steam, 20 years too late, nobody cares about Gamepass on PC. They have as much of a chance of having success with their store as any other publisher.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
MS has no chance on PC against Steam, 20 years too late, nobody cares about Gamepass on PC. They have as much of a chance of having success with their store as any other publisher.
They don't care about Valve as a platform holder on PC. What they care about is keeping windows as the monopoly and having it have a vice grip on pc gaming

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
They don't care about Valve as a platform holder on PC. What they care about is keeping windows as the monopoly and having it have a vice grip on pc gaming
That has more to do with SteamOS than anything else, if there is no alternative there is no reason for MS to worry. SteamOS is pretty good already but still maturing, if Valve ever scales it and makes it available for other manufactures and for users to install then it will have a chance.

As of right now Windows sucks and has no decent UI to be used with a controller, I'd be surprised if MS ever manged to offer something given that even their PC store sucks.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I don't have trust in Valve upping their supply chain game to become a massive HW seller and surpass MS in that regard.

Hopefully I am wrong because I would love steam deck 2 and a fixed spec gabenbox to be a thing.