Japanese Petition to Cancel AC Shadows Gets 40,000 Signatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023

Come on @Gediminas stop going off-script!

Anyone who dislikes the DEI infection in AC Shadows must be called a cis white basement dweller racist man-baby who hates the idea of a black protagonist in an Assassin's Creed videogame. which is something Ubisoft totally never tried before. They're being so stunning and brave this time.

You putting up Japanese people complaining about the game isn't helping the corporate shilling cause at all!

Just look at this racist white dude complaining about everything in the game:

This is clearly some redneck living in Texas using AI.

Reactions: Yurinka

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Anyone who dislikes the DEI infection in AC Shadows must be called a cis white basement dweller racist man-baby who hates the idea of a black protagonist in an Assassin's Creed videogame.
meanwhile, ubisoft ceo :D
gaming_yves_guillemot.jpg

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
meanwhile, ubisoft ceo :D
gaming_yves_guillemot.jpg

Yves Guillemot, the guy who's been accused of covering up the recurrent workplace sex assaults that were happening at Ubisoft , and then had to publicly apologize for that.
And then he decided to try to profit off the BLM movement after which he had to apologize. And then he decided to blame his employees for his own incompetence over his company's results, after which he had to apologize again.

This is obviously the type of person with a good, sturdy set of elevated morals that you want as an ally.
If you ever want to know the moral compass of something, like I don't know, whether or not being dismissive of the Japanese people's complaints on the subject of a game set in feudal Japan and calling them racist is a good or a bad thing, you should definitely ask Yves Guillemot about his valuable opinion.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Continuation from this, as the other thread unfortunately got derailed and placed somewhere else:

Looks like some of the dodgier stuff Lockley pulled back in 2019 will be put under scrutiny by Japanese officials, as well as all the wikipedia revisionism that's been happening since all the way back to 2014.

This is still revealing and we'll probably only hear definitive info next week (or maybe September because universities are sleeping from late July to early September), but the NHK website is apparently taking down stuff from his resume page and his Yasuke TV program is now gone.

Lockley deleted all his social media and left Japan when NHK started the investigation. He's been appearing in interviews about his new book so it could be just a book tour, but it doesn't look good regardless.

Thomas Lockley deletes all online accounts and flees; Nihon University to begin investigation

Nihon University erases Associate Professor Lockley's resume, NHK deletes program over "Assassin's Creed" issue

On the Japanese Government's side, they're especially concerned about Lockley's (apparently completely made up) statements about Japan making heavy use of black slaves. They're concerned about this revisionism becoming mainstream, leading to countries demanding reparations through the UN, or using that as leverage for business negociations.

About Ubisoft, it seems the list of art and copyright theft is growing by the dozens every week. Just from the short CGI videos and gameplay demos they're proven to be stealing designs from lanterns, using katanas from anime shows, dolls, flags from larpers, etc.
It could be that Ubisoft always did this at this scale, but this time they pissed off the wrong people.

Captura de ecrã 2024-07-20 144333.png
Captura de ecrã 2024-07-20 144251.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
From what I gather there’s lower level samurai discussion and what that entails etc…. I am not willing to crash course on samurai knowledge outside of shogun, Tsushima and rise of ronin right now. Which is sorta a lot and with the variety of entertainment I just mentioned… what’s the big deal with asscreed? Go support those other products then. Your money matters.

Asscreed is also a videogame similar to the summer popcorn blockbuster. You could just not give a shit if you’re that offended. I don’t play asscreed but like 10 million plus buy them year after year. I get why it’s also a hot topic too…

This goes for whatever you’re passionate about with both love and hate… ain’t no one forcing to buy a game or risk losing your job.

SuperDuper

Chief Troll Officer
Founder
16 Jun 2022
Asscreed is also a videogame similar to the summer popcorn blockbuster. You could just not give a shit if you’re that offended. I don’t play asscreed but like 10 million plus buy them year after year. I get why it’s also a hot topic too…

I get what you say, but Deadpool & Wolverine do not pretend to be historically accurate.

Had they left it at "we are taking a different take. We are no historically accurate and is a simple work of fiction", it would have had a bit of heat because of the DEI aspect, but it would have died right there. But they had to go full retard, and defend a piece of historical account that, at best, is unreliable, and most probably just a court jester. And this is the reason all hell broke loose.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I get what you say, but Deadpool & Wolverine do not pretend to be historically accurate.

Had they left it at "we are taking a different take. We are no historically accurate and is a simple work of fiction", it would have had a bit of heat because of the DEI aspect, but it would have died right there. But they had to go full retard, and defend a piece of historical account that, at best, is unreliable, and most probably just a court jester. And this is the reason all hell broke loose.

We risk having fictional interpretations manipulate the history people remember. A lot of media is guilty of this and is something is blatantly inaccurate then it would earn its criticism. I would prefer if games portraying a snapshot of history to be authentic as possible. Otherwise I prefer a completely fictional fantasy setting just to create a more fun and diverse game environment. With that said… i won’t be buying this. I bought odyssey tho and enjoyed it quite a bit being Greek myself (New Yorker in reality).

26 Nov 2023
We risk having fictional interpretations manipulate the history people remember. A lot of media is guilty of this and is something is blatantly inaccurate then it would earn its criticism. I would prefer if games portraying a snapshot of history to be authentic as possible. Otherwise I prefer a completely fictional fantasy setting just to create a more fun and diverse game environment. With that said… i won’t be buying this. I bought odyssey tho and enjoyed it quite a bit being Greek myself (New Yorker in reality).

Assassin’s Creed has always taken liberties with their games and have always told a more fantastical story within a historical setting. AC has been “manipulating history” since its inception to fit into its own lore. The fact that Yasuke, of all people, someone who’s been featured in so many different kinds of media, is the straw that broke the camel’s back is just incredible.

Reactions: Infinity

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I think healthy discussion about this subject is great, as well as different PoVs, but perhaps we could focus the discussion within one thread? I don't mind if we keep using this one and we bring that other post here instead, but there's information pertinent to this subject in there.

From what I gathered, that historian is using a using an extended version of what we call samurai in the West.
It seems he's also calling "samurai" to "samurai servant". He's not saying Yasuke complies with the west's general interpretation of Samurai, which is akin to European knighthood in the middle ages: a noble carrying a feudal family name with claims to lands, servants of his own, weapons training, armor, etc.
That said, this historian is apparently being criticized by other Japanese historians so even the "samurai servant" angle is seemingly up for debate.

defend a piece of historical account that, at best, is unreliable, and most probably just a court jester
From Luís Fróis' accounts it does look like Yasuke started as something akin to a court jester ("Nobunaga liked him because he spoke basic Japanese, was very strong and could perform tricks"), but from later depictions he went on to become a squire of sorts.

Regardless, he was only 15 months with Oda Nobunaga before the latter was betrayed and forced to commit suicide. It's not like Yasuke even had the time to somehow prove an undying loyalty before Nobunaga, let alone tangentially grasp the language, culture, customs and martial arts training needed to act as a feudal lord at the time.

As a comparison, William Adams served under Ieyasu Tokugawa for 6 years before being given the "Hatamoto" samurai title. 3 years before that, Adams was also given a house, a stipend and a sword but he wasn't called samurai.

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperDuper

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
The fact that Yasuke, of all people, someone who’s been featured in so many different kinds of media, is the straw that broke the camel’s back is just incredible.

The game isn't getting crap from Yasuke being the main character. It's getting crap from the blatant disregard of the Japanese culture on dozens, perhaps hundreds of points. The list is enormous, but here's what I got from the top of my head:

1 - Ubisoft claiming Yasuke was a "legendary samurai" and a Japanese historical icon, when in reality there are 3 paragraphs written about Yasuke. The Japanese find this a bit insulting and revisionist, as there are contemporary historical people who have a hundred times more historical records about them.

2 - Ubisoft mixing up stuff from different seasons (which bear a lot of relevance in Japanese culture), like putting grain harvest from Fall next to blooming sakura from the Winter.

3 - Stealing artwork from Japanese creators like a sword from the One Piece manga, banners from Japanese larpers, lanterns from temples without permission, figurines, etc. The list here has dozens of examples.

4 - Ubisoft putting Torii arcs as entrance to random villages, whereas the Torii were used as an entrance to Shinto temples.

5 - Ubisoft putting burning incense in an outdoors Shinto shrine, when incense is only used inside Buddhist temples.

6 - Ubisoft putting the tatami placements wrong, in an audience where the samurai are sitting in the wrong formation and posture, in front of a daimyio who would probably kill them for it.

7 - Naoe supposedly being the furtive character walking around in the middle of a village wearing a sword on her back, which would immediately call out all attention towards her.

8 - Yasuke walking around wearing full body armor, which was only used for battle and would reallistically send villagers either running away like hell at his sight or attack him in defense.

There are many more and some Japanese are apparently gathering up all the evidence to present to the government. What the government will do about it, is up to anyone's guess.

Most of these may seem irrelevant for westerners, but they're really important to the Japanese culture, much more than one of the main characters being black and LGBTQ.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Yasuke being a historical person is well known. It’s only anti black anything people that are crying about it now because it’s being put to the forefront by Ubisoft with Assasin Creed Shadows.

Last edited:

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
But they had to go full retard, and defend a piece of historical account that, at best, is unreliable, and most probably just a court jester. And this is the reason all hell broke loose.
Assassin's Creed should never have been taken seriously in terms of historical accuracy.
Reframing the Knights Templar as an evil shady secret society is ridiculous.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
When Sony does woke, its too much and needs to get cancelled. When everyone else does it….. its historically accurate or an Amazing game :unsure: :rolleyes:

When Sony does Stellar Blade, it needs to be cancelled…

IMG_4455.gif

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Assassin's Creed should never have been taken seriously in terms of historical accuracy.
Reframing the Knights Templar as an evil shady secret society is ridiculous.
Theres plenty of people who think this before Assassins Creed was about lol. They just going with that narrative

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Status
Not open for further replies.