Japanese Petition to Cancel AC Shadows Gets 40,000 Signatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It had been until now.

They have exploration-only versions of their games being used in museums and History lessons. AC Unity was apparently used as additional data for the project to reconstruct the Notre Dame.

And Ubisoft themselves still claim stuff like this:
Roughly:
AC1- Set in middle east - Play as one
AC2- Set in Italy - Play as Ezio
AC3- Set in America - Play as one
AC4- Set in Pirate world - Play as one, could of been anyone really

AC Unity - Set in France - Play as French Man
AC Syndicate - Set in England - Play as UK siblings

AC Origins - Set in Egypt, Play as Egyptian
AC Valhalla -Set in Viking land- Play as one
AC Odyssey - Set in Greece, play as Greek

AC Japan - Set in Japan :…

TBH I dont care. We all know why they changed it. Its not like Im a big fan of the games since Unity/Syndicate anyway.

If the combat is different and better than the Origins and there after games, I might try it.
But its silly not to go with a popular Japanese character from the Sengoku period. I wonder why they are doing the whole Unifier of Japan/Nobunaga and which side he goes with. Weird choices overall

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Roughly:

TBH I dont care. We all know why they changed it. Its not like Im a big fan of the games since Unity/Syndicate anyway.

If the combat is different and better than the Origins and there after games, I might try it.
But its silly not to go with a popular Japanese character from the Sengoku period. I wonder why they are doing the whole Unifier of Japan/Nobunaga and which side he goes with. Weird choices overall
When you put it like that, it does kinda look strange.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
And there's an entire University claiming he's not. They even fired the one guy that was making Wiki changes.They even have polititians involved. It's fun to watch, if nothing else.

If tgis turns out to be a good game, this all goes away. But man, I've never seen a game get this much crap for this.
I have not really been following this topic too keenly.

My problem now, is I don't know what is actually reality or fiction.

One professor says it's real, a whole department says it's not, people screaming it's only the racists that are kicking up a fuss, while some government officials are apparently not happy.

I went to go and read the wiki and I am not sure that it is even true as that can be edited by anyone.

This is like history being rewritten before my eyes and I am unsure if any of it is correct.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It absolutely does not and it's driving me nuts how much attention this stupid topic gets.
It is not like you are doing a documentary.
It is a fictional game that involve even time travel after all… the guy could have lasers as weapon that it should be fine.

Reactions: rofif
24 Jun 2022
We already knew this. Only certain idiot Western "gamers" have been trying to hardcore dispute it.

The only real question is what rank was he? I'd assume that officially, he wasn't a high-ranking samurai. I have no idea how samurai ranks work, but I don't think it's unfair to surmise that officially, Yusuke wasn't at the higher end of that ranking system. He might've been more pronounced with his strength & skill above what rank he ever actually held, though.

But that's nowhere near the same thing as saying he wasn't a samurai/retainer at all, which is what even some persistent "gamers" in these threads here have been going on and on about for weeks now, simply because of their feelings.

Roughly:

So you completely forgot the Japanese female is in Shadows? She's been a known playable character since the official reveal.

We risk having fictional interpretations manipulate the history people remember. A lot of media is guilty of this and is something is blatantly inaccurate then it would earn its criticism. I would prefer if games portraying a snapshot of history to be authentic as possible. Otherwise I prefer a completely fictional fantasy setting just to create a more fun and diverse game environment. With that said… i won’t be buying this. I bought odyssey tho and enjoyed it quite a bit being Greek myself (New Yorker in reality).

Do you want creatives to have creative freedom or don't you? Because ultimately that's what this is boiling down to. You're saying it's okay for someone to make a creative piece of work, but only if YOU are OK with it and approve of it? That's effectively a form of censorship.

Are games supposed to be school textbooks? If you want a game to be as historically accurate as possible, why are you willing to play a game with the dressing of a time period but still has characters doing superhero jumps from towers yet somehow don't even fracture their ankle? A lot of time I hear this argument it sounds like people who want the facade of historical accuracy, but not the genuine article.

Otherwise a lot of these games would be way more muted in their combat and MUCH heavier on their dialog (both in words spoken and particular vernacular & diction used, a lot of words being unfamiliar to modern speakers), and if you actually want that historical accuracy, why even play a game like Odyssey with the English dub? Play it in Greek with English subtitles if you want a more authentic experience.

But you see, I know the vast majority of gamers who hitch the "historical accuracy" talking point, don't actually care for historical or cultural accuracy to its logical conclusion. It's mainly only when they want to see certain people omitted. Kind of like when the defenders of free speech only pop up after someone's said something completely stupid and bigoted; they don't believe in championing free speech for productive and responsible purposes, just when they want to have hateful speech continue unimpeded (and then ignore that recipients of that speech have the freedom to ostracize & shun them for it).

That's why I'm 0% on-board this so-called "historical accuracy" crusade for Shadows; it's just all bullshit from the typical trash who might've fooled a few decent people to go alongside them. The pattern's clear as day.

Last edited:

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Roughly:

People were complaining too about Assasin Creed Origins about black people being in the game. The stupid meme “we waz kangs” was spammed during a livestream Ubisoft did of the game. Among other racist outbursts.

People are so dumb and prejudice about history that it’s hard for them to believe Africans were native to the continent they are on. Believing made up definitions and fake borders and countries. To them black people in Africa can only come from below the Sahara. The same Sahara that hasn’t always been a desert. It was a green Sahara before where people lived. It dried up and those same people migrated to the Nile because there’s water there.

The funny thing is Bayek is suppose to be a Medjay. The Medjay were basically the police of ancient Egypt. Where did they come from? The south. Nubia.

Ubisoft should of made the character more black and Nilotic for accuracy. They were not “dark skin middle eastern people.” As misinformed Eurocentrics keep saying.

Nobody says anything about this because the world follows a Eurocentric ideology. As long as the people history and entertainment are not black everything is fine.

When reality hits you it can be something fierce.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

SuperDuper

Chief Troll Officer
Founder
16 Jun 2022
[...] I bought odyssey tho and enjoyed it quite a bit being Greek myself (New Yorker in reality).

Yasuke being a historical person is well known. It’s only anti black anything people that are crying about it now because it’s being put to the for front by Ubisoft with Assasin Creed Shadows.

Of course Yasuke is a known historical figure. He is known like Da Vinci, Platone, Socrate, etc. In the past AC was all about reproducing environments and inserting historical figures as "mentors", as guides. This time they decided to make one of those historical figures an actual avatar for the player. This is the difference that we have this time.

Assassin's Creed should never have been taken seriously in terms of historical accuracy.
Reframing the Knights Templar as an evil shady secret society is ridiculous.
Yeah, I have a theory why the Templars are portraited as an evil shady organization, but we would get too much into "tin hat" theories :ROFLMAO:

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I have not really been following this topic too keenly.

My problem now, is I don't know what is actually reality or fiction.

One professor says it's real, a whole department says it's not, people screaming it's only the racists that are kicking up a fuss, while some government officials are apparently not happy.

I went to go and read the wiki and I am not sure that it is even true as that can be edited by anyone.

This is like history being rewritten before my eyes and I am unsure if any of it is correct.
It's a mixed bag. We know for a fact it was a real person. However, we have very little data on him. Just several lines in a Jesuit priest's diary. So the biggest point of contention is on his samurai status and what samurai actually means/meant.

The person that edited the Wiki, Thomas Lockley, had his work at Nihon University removed. A politician in Japan wants to bring the game in front of the Japanese legislative body for trying to change history.

The whole historical accuracy is severely overblown. We're nitpicking harvest season and incense burning at the wrong places. But it's also a blatant DEI push in a game people have been asking for a very long time.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I have no idea how samurai ranks work
The Samurai were a social class. Shogun was at the top, and then you had all samurai. In theory, all samurai should be equal and demand the same respect. However, you had dirt poor samurai that had less power and influence than richer families. Although they'd all act politely at an official meeting, poor families weren't exactly respected as much. They were all above any other class, no matter how poor.

24 Jun 2022
It's a mixed bag. We know for a fact it was a real person. However, we have very little data on him. Just several lines in a Jesuit priest's diary. So the biggest point of contention is on his samurai status and what samurai actually means/meant.

The person that edited the Wiki, Thomas Lockley, had his work at Nihon University removed. A politician in Japan wants to bring the game in front of the Japanese legislative body for trying to change history.

The whole historical accuracy is severely overblown. We're nitpicking harvest season and incense burning at the wrong places. But it's also a blatant DEI push in a game people have been asking for a very long time.

A Japanese politician is still a politician at the end of the day, i.e they're all either stupid, greedy, or have ulterior motives that don't benefit the gaming industry.

Also it is rather telling if people are claiming the focus on Yusuke is an attempt at rewriting history (again, the politician probably has never played other AssCreed games or maybe even games at all considering the other AssCreed games weren't necessarily accurate) but not the Japanese samurai character. Because AFAIK, officially there weren't any or that many Japanese women in the samurai ranks of old.

That should be enough to tell folks the game is a fictional interpretation of loose historical events but somehow brains forget it when it's someone like Yusuke. I don't even care about AssCreed as a franchise and Ubisoft can get bent weaponizing DEI, race politics and black people for a game where none of that needed to be present (or that the vast majority of black people out there weren't asking for "representation" in), but I don't think their BS warrants people on the other side to be just as BS or worst.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Of course Yasuke is a known historical figure. He is known like Da Vinci, Platone, Socrate, etc. In the past AC was all about reproducing environments and inserting historical figures as "mentors", as guides. This time they decided to make one of those historical figures an actual avatar for the player. This is the difference that we have this time.

But he was a real person. What’s wrong with playing someone from history in the past? This is not the first time this has been done.

Hatefield

I am the law
18 Jun 2024
But he was a real person. What’s wrong with playing someone from history in the past? This is not the first time this has been done.
It is the 1st time. The entire gimmick of the story is the assassins are in the shadows of history. Now they are a main character of it. Why didn't we play as Jefferson in AC3? Or Blackbeard in Black Flag?

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
People were complaining too about Assasin Creed Origins about black people being in the game. The stupid meme “we waz kangs” was spammed during a livestream Ubisoft did of the game. Among other racist outbursts.

People are so dumb and prejudice about history that it’s hard for them to believe Africans were native to the continent they are on. Believing made up definitions and fake borders and countries. To them black people in Africa can only come from below the Sahara. The same Sahara that hasn’t always been a desert. It was a green Sahara before where people lived. It dried up and those same people migrated to the Nile because there’s water there.

The funny thing is Bayek is suppose to be a Medjay. The Medjay were basically the police of ancient Egypt. Where did they come from? The south. Nubia.

Ubisoft should of made the character more black and Nilotic for accuracy. They were not “dark skin middle eastern people.” As misinformed Eurocentrics keep saying.

Nobody says anything about this because the world follows a Eurocentric ideology. As long as the people history and entertainment are not black everything is fine.

When reality hits you it can be something fierce.

I didnt play the game but wasnt it set in 50BC?

While I agree Egyptian history is not correct the way it is presented to the world (shoutout to John Anthony West’s magical Egypt lol) by 50bc and onwards Egypt was so mixed its not too far fetched having the last Medjay as a berber type mixing with other africans and everyone from that region. Im sure they were mixing it up around that time.

The series is based off Hasan Sabbah, but the game still hasnt had a setting or character in based off iran. But you dont hear me complain about it lol

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Prosecution by the Vatican does not prove wrongdoing on their part, only the Vatican. Yeah.
The point is there isn't anything woke about making out the templars to be baddies lol, they've been made out to be baddies for centuries

• thisistheway
Reactions: Kokoloko
Status
Not open for further replies.