Jason Schreier/Bloomberg: PlayStation boss Jim Ryan is stepping down

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

I'd say that post is mostly accurate minus the "censorship" claims, Sony bend closure, and no twitter account foolishness.

Also every sensible publisher from MS, Take Two, and Sega seem to have made sensible acquisitions on mobile this gen while Jim Ryan wasted that multiplatform money on Bungie, who only have one successful IP. Even with his departure you still have his die hards defending his horrible legacy so I'll just move on and hope that his replacement is better

• haha
Reactions: Would_you_kindly

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I'd say that post is mostly accurate minus the "censorship" claims, Sony bend closure, and no twitter account foolishness.

Also every sensible publisher from MS, Take Two, and Sega seem to have made sensible acquisitions on mobile this gen while Jim Ryan wasted that multiplatform money on Bungie, who only have one successful IP. Even with his departure you still have his die hards defending his horrible legacy so I'll just move on and hope that his replacement is better
Lol nope in no way is it mostly accurate, while some of the points rightly criticize him, most of it is missing context and some of it they want sony to give them attention, following xbox failed strategy of putting out useless posts.

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The irrational hatred of jim ryan is making me laugh hard. Here's a really silly post i came across on twitter.

Some of his weird points highlighted

No twitter account - Who the gives a shit about this? He clearly want's a phil spencer in charge tweeting useless things to make him feel better.

Sony bend closed - Is he talking about bend studio? No they didn't, sony bend is still open, wtf?

Anti social PR team - Again i don't give a shit about of some exec or social media person from sony writing pointless posts. You should be caring about games not PR team.

Undeeded remaked of TLOU 1 - Another smooth brain take, tlou 1 remake was a great strategy as the show came out and it was a way to get people in to the franchise by offering an up to date version of the game on the ps5, it actually did decent on the charts. Obviously the PC release was bad, but i could careless about the pc beggers getting slop.

KOTOR disaster - Nothing to do with jim ryan

I agree with maybe 1 or 2 of this points but some his other points really highlight the hatred of jim ryan is misplaced.

It's getting so ridiculous. Anything that happened in the last 4 years, no matter how small is getting blamed on Jim Ryan. I feel bad for him.

Retiring after a successful 30 years career only to get shit on all day by the public.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Anything but Social engineering bullshit that the mentally ill team is doing.

Honestly I think Sony and Nintendo doesn't need astroturfing because their brand is strong and they know wtf they are doing.

Astroturfing is just a toxic corporate tactics.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Can almost guarantee that new IP' won't be as good as days gone wish we got the sequel they pitched whoever made the decision to not let them do it is an arsehole
That is a higher up in Bend. The pitch never got as far as Sony themselves. This was confirmed by Jeff Ross when he was interviewed by David Jaffe.

It's getting so ridiculous. Anything that happened in the last 4 years, no matter how small is getting blamed on Jim Ryan. I feel bad for him.

Retiring after a successful 30 years career only to get shit on all day by the public.
Everything in 4 years that went wrong is Jim Ryan and every success is Shawn Layden [even though Shawn never had Jim's role] /s

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
That is a higher up in Bend. The pitch never got as far as Sony themselves. This was confirmed by Jeff Ross when he was interviewed by David Jaffe.

Everything in 4 years that went wrong is Jim Ryan and every success is Shawn Layden [even though Shawn never had Jim's role]
Shawn "PC Ports" Layden?
Shawn "timed exclusives bad" Layden

Shawn Layden is just another Phil. Hell he is even buddy with Phil. Like do you want to to mimic and copy tactics of loser like Spencer.

Hell even Nintendo struggled with a bad NA president for a while
PS players is lucky Shawn never held the chair.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Shawn "PC Ports" Layden?
Shawn "timed exclusives bad" Layden

Shawn Layden is just another Phil. Hell he is even buddy with Phil. Like do you want to to mimic and copy tactics of loser like Spencer.
I'm pointing out the narrative. I forgot the /s at the end. Whoops

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom

Everything in 4 years that went wrong is Jim Ryan and every success is Shawn Layden [even though Shawn never had Jim's role] /s
Oh I thought it got pitched to Sony & they said no guess someone at the studio is an arsehole then 😂

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Can almost guarantee that new IP' won't be as good as days gone wish we got the sequel they pitched whoever made the decision to not let them do it is an arsehole
Not sure why you're convinced the same studio with more AAA experience and lessons learned after days gone wouldn't do better with a new ip. Days Gone wasn't all THAT special, especially compared to Playstation's other games.

Reactions: Vertigo

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
It's funny how brain-broken folks continue looking for the first person at sony to approve "pc ports". They can't accept that every decision-maker at Playstation supports it because it's an easy call. "straightforward decision for us" as Jim Ryan said.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023
24 Jun 2022
Anything but Social engineering bullshit that the mentally ill team is doing.

Honestly I think Sony and Nintendo doesn't need astroturfing because their brand is strong and they know wtf they are doing.

Astroturfing is just a toxic corporate tactics.

100% Sony (and Nintendo) don't need astroturfers. But, I do think Sony need a relatable face/mascot who can engage with the community better, and keep the record straight, as it were, about PlayStation stuff among enthusiasts spaces and games media.

So much of the absolute BS FUD that games media do towards PlayStation wouldn't even be considered if SIE had a Phil Spencer-like on their side to act as a mascot. But Sony already have someone way better than Spencer: Kevin Butler. He could be pretend-CEO of SIE and mascot all at once, do podcasts & interviews, give him a team of misfits, and all that kind of stuff.

The best part being, no creepy para-social stuff like with Xbox & Phil Spencer/Aaron Greenberg/Sarah Bond etc., because everyone would know Butler & co. are mascots. He's not actually the CEO, he's a parody of a CEO.

It's funny how brain-broken folks continue looking for the first person at sony to approve "pc ports". They can't accept that every decision-maker at Playstation supports it because it's an easy call. "straightforward decision for us" as Jim Ryan said.

Meanwhile you conveniently ignore Jim Ryan's own words that PC is competition for PlayStation.

I get it: you're a PC guy so of course you want everything in one spot that's convenient for you. But the PC initiative Sony has, as-is, will cause long-term problems and that's just unavoidable. They have to make adjustments.

You can't say you prioritize the console above all, while releasing better versions of those games 2 years later (or even sooner) on PC. Hell, even with the case of putting HFW in PS+ a year after release was a questionable move IMO. There are other, and better, ways Sony can increase their software revenue and profits that don't involve porting the marquee 1P traditional games to PC.

Or at least, not doing so for several years (literally in this case, say 4/5-6 years after release on console). Now the GaaS titles? Yes, prioritize those for console & PC Day 1 when possible. But even there, console players should get a few bonus perks for free, since they have to pay the same price as PC players, but also have to pay to play the game online while PC players don't.

Throwing in those free bonuses and perks helps balance that out, and shows that they care about & prioritize the console audience. Not just talking like they do every once in a blue moon with actions that speak the opposite, like a certain other console brand.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
100% Sony (and Nintendo) don't need astroturfers. But, I do think Sony need a relatable face/mascot who can engage with the community better, and keep the record straight, as it were, about PlayStation stuff among enthusiasts spaces and games media.

So much of the absolute BS FUD that games media do towards PlayStation wouldn't even be considered if SIE had a Phil Spencer-like on their side to act as a mascot. But Sony already have someone way better than Spencer: Kevin Butler. He could be pretend-CEO of SIE and mascot all at once, do podcasts & interviews, give him a team of misfits, and all that kind of stuff.

The best part being, no creepy para-social stuff like with Xbox & Phil Spencer/Aaron Greenberg/Sarah Bond etc., because everyone would know Butler & co. are mascots. He's not actually the CEO, he's a parody of a CEO.

Meanwhile you conveniently ignore Jim Ryan's own words that PC is competition for PlayStation.

I get it: you're a PC guy so of course you want everything in one spot that's convenient for you. But the PC initiative Sony has, as-is, will cause long-term problems and that's just unavoidable. They have to make adjustments.

You can't say you prioritize the console above all, while releasing better versions of those games 2 years later (or even sooner) on PC. Hell, even with the case of putting HFW in PS+ a year after release was a questionable move IMO. There are other, and better, ways Sony can increase their software revenue and profits that don't involve porting the marquee 1P traditional games to PC.

Or at least, not doing so for several years (literally in this case, say 4/5-6 years after release on console). Now the GaaS titles? Yes, prioritize those for console & PC Day 1 when possible. But even there, console players should get a few bonus perks for free, since they have to pay the same price as PC players, but also have to pay to play the game online while PC players don't.

Throwing in those free bonuses and perks helps balance that out, and shows that they care about & prioritize the console audience. Not just talking like they do every once in a blue moon with actions that speak the opposite, like a certain other console brand.
I agree that PlayStation doesn't need some creepy hero-worship figure. They do need someone that will do a better job keeping the community informed about what major 1st party games are coming in the future and does a better job of promoting excitement around the brand like they did with the live shows of last gen. It also wouldn't hurt to have someone to shut down the BS FUD that likely originates from MS online, just don't be classless about it like ABK's obnoxious twitter bulldog, lulu.

Last edited: