Jeff Grubb on Hi-Fi Rush: "Based on what I've heard, it just didn't make the money it needed to make"

Unchained

5 Dec 2022

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Wait, you mean to tell me games on gamepass have to make money?

Steve Brule What GIF

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
dang it, I just came here to make this thread!

Anyway, expected as much. Grubb also says management at MS is very unhappy with the Xbox division.

could this finally be the end?

Either way, really worrying news for Xbox!
Finally you're back! ❤️

A small budget game is flopping on GP, imagine how much money AAAs are losing. Atomic Heart and Wo Long also flopped after being on GP. They rely on Playstation gamers but PS gamers are not dumb enough to buy this devalued crap.

I wish AdamGPT was still here so we could laugh and tore him a new asshole or two now that we know we were right. Forspoken is a mega success compared to Diarrhea Rush.

New York Knicks L GIF by Sidetalk

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
I don;t understand, how can this even be a talking point for a game like this - it's a gamepass game with no GaaS, why would it make money with inconsequential sales?

GaaS, yes I can see it being a valid conversation.

Here’s the clincher, Redfall, Starfield will also make no money outside of their potential to drive subs.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Drop, no marketing after that, even if the game is good, who gonna know about it? Plus sales killer gamepass. Plus, xbots don't play these types of games.

M$ scored some imaginary Xbots points with exclusivity, bragging points and what's next? Chopping block?

TwistedSyn

10 Jul 2022
You shadow dropped the game on gamepass with NO advertising what so ever. The fuck you think was gonna happen?

Genki you are a good dude but, you are so ignorant with anything Xbox. They need to make MONEY and gamepass is not helping them with that especially with the report from NPD saying that sub services are getting less traction.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
You shadow dropped the game on gamepass with NO advertising what so ever. The fuck you think was gonna happen?

Genki you are a good dude but, you are so ignorant with anything Xbox. They need to make MONEY and gamepass is not helping them with that. The world is getting tired of subscription services.

Easy to talk about that as success when you have sugar daddy, thing is, 99.99% can't say nonsense like this.

Do people have brains? Spewing nonsense like this, doesn't look the case.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
is this where we discuss how amazing Microsoft's infinite warchest is?

Also, I'm not sure I believe Grubb on this. It's sitting at 13,000+ reviews on Steam, which is actually huge numbers for an indie/single A level title like Hi-Fi Rush. That's indicative of like 200,000-300,000 copies sold probably. If that's considered a bomb by Microsoft then they're delusional on what kind of numbers a game like that would actually do.

Last edited:

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Question does anyone know if Ghostwire charted on any sales charts? Xbots are using this article to say that hi fi rush was actually a success, but I don't think it charted any where, whereas if ghost wire did, it would destroy their narrative.

"In the email, Vaughn called Hi-Fi Rush "one of the most successful launches for Bethesda and Xbox in recent years," adding that the rhythm-based action game has "generated significant positive momentum for the business and Tango."

Confirming the email's veracity, Bethesda issued a statement to TA reiterating the email's message, adding, "We wish Mikami-san well in the future and are excited by what lies ahead for the talented developers at Tango." Bethesda has now also publicly confirmed Mikami's departure on Twitter."

EDIT:
Found it. Ghostwire debuted at #12 for March. While hi fi rush never debuted anywhere.

I also highly doubt that hi fi flop was more successful than the evil within for them. It seems like the CEO was letting PR reviews and Gamepass player counts get to his head.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Question does anyone know if Ghostwire charted on any sales charts? Xbots are using this article to say that hi fi rush was actually a success, but I don't think it charted any where, whereas if ghost wire did, it would destroy their narrative.

"In the email, Vaughn called Hi-Fi Rush "one of the most successful launches for Bethesda and Xbox in recent years," adding that the rhythm-based action game has "generated significant positive momentum for the business and Tango."

Confirming the email's veracity, Bethesda issued a statement to TA reiterating the email's message, adding, "We wish Mikami-san well in the future and are excited by what lies ahead for the talented developers at Tango." Bethesda has now also publicly confirmed Mikami's departure on Twitter."

EDIT:
Found it. Ghostwire debuted at #12 for March. While hi fi rush never debuted anywhere.

I also highly doubt that hi fi flop was more successful than the evil within for them. It seems like the CEO was letting PR reviews and Gamepass player counts get to his head.
Or he just lied, you know, people do that, especially highest probability coming from m$ side.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

EDIT:

They are probably talking about review scores and amount of players in the release window.

I doubt The Evil Within or Ghostwire had 2 millions "players" in the first few weeks. Both were flops. Basically they are spinning the numbers to call it successful.

Mikami left as soon as the game was out and never looked back. He's now posting his PS5 on Twitter.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
I wonder if it’s a matter of time before they pivot full 3rd party. Gamepass as far as it will go, sales everywhere else - meaning a robust eco system like PlayStation. Even if time delayed for balance.
If i am being honest i am surprised they have not already done it even if the games got released 6-12 months later.
They could gain subs from Day One GP and make cash 6-12 months later on other platforms atleast that way the games will sell