Jim Ryan confirms that PC is a direct competitor to Playstation in FTC documents.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
What a sad person comparing catalog releases to day one. You think Disney putting out Toy Story on 4k Blu-ray is gonna sell better than the 1995 opening weekend. Don't be foolish.
Doesn't matter the numbers don't lie.
Terrible comparison as well cause 4K Blu-rays and physical media in general (which I support) is a niche market.

Only similarly is PC gaming is niche in comparison to the more popular home consoles and Nintendo made portables.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Doesn't matter the numbers don't lie.
Terrible comparison as well cause 4K Blu-rays and physical media in general (which I support) is a niche market.

Only similarly is PC gaming is niche in comparison to the more popular home consoles and Nintendo made portables.
The numbers are plain as day. Helldivers 2 vs God of War.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Comparing ONE $33(on PC) GAAS title gets you nowhere.

GAAS is bigger on PC.
PC gamers don't pay much for games.

The the first one. :/ The difference is overwhelming.

PC is the majority platform for many top selling primarily single player games. Elden Ring, Baldurs Gate, Cyberpunk 2077, Starfield, Diablo 4, being some recent ones.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
The migration will be really noticeable during the PS6 gen. It looks like the PS6 will end up being a hybrid handheld like the Switch if PS goes day 1 PC there dead just get a PC or a Steamdeck 2 & get Xbox & PS games day 1 in 1 platform. Even if the games go 1 to 2 years later people have no issue waiting when on PC or Steamdeck you don’t have to spend $80 per year on a online subscription & spend $70 on singleplayer games PS games that get ported can usually be bought in a deep discount day 1 for $40 to $50 I mainly play PS on console but I got Helldivers 2 on PC & it was like $25/$30 discount on PC then $40 on PS.

Also the power gap will become less & less w each generation & Nintendo power gap w get closer to PS so why continue buying a PS console w they don’t have exclusive they get ported to PC & Nintendo power gap allow them to play the same 3rd party & they have true exclusive.

Also if the power gap becomes less & less w each generation PS in a way will get behind w PC in power making these PC ports the definitive way to play PS games at high performance just like if Nintendo whos leans to lower performance where to port there games to PC. PS future is handheld which I believe they’ll follow Nintendo after the success of the Switch.
According to who?

Interested to see the evidence behind this because I don't see a ~800p - 1080p handheld with a couple hours of battery life as a competitor for Playstation 6.
Is PS really the defacto home consoles. When Nintendo is selling 40+ million more consoles then PS & as the power gap gets smaller Nintendo consoles will be able to play most if not all the 3rd party games PS does. Mainline Fromsoft games mainline Persona games mainline Final Fantasy mainline Monster Hunter games mainline Resident Evil games mainline COD games will be playable on Switch 2 not sure why people dismiss Nintendo existence. Nintendo sells more consoles sells more games & has true exclusive.

People also acting like you have to get a $1500 PC to play PS games on PC you don’t you can get a Steamdeck for $400 & even if you argue performance Steamdeck 2 will have performance similar to PS5 for a price of $500. Really think to yourself if a PS gamer will continue to stick to PS if the PS6 is a handheld hybrid price at $500 w performance of a PS5 essentially a native PS5 on the go handheld & pay $70 games, pay $80 online subscription both prices that can be increase at a later date or buy a Steamdeck 2 that has the same performance & price of a PS6 but get to play Xbox games day 1, PS games 1-2 year later at deep discount also don’t have to pay online subscription (& if PS goes day 1 PC even better for PC & Steamdeck players) & get to play the exclusive PC games that don’t release on PS & technically play Nintendo games by nefarious ways really why continue buying PS consoles ever again long term your saving a ton of $ if you go PC or Steamdeck. Also looks like PS will bring a PS storefront to PC, trophies & probably allow you to connect your PSN on PC.
Same thing goes for Switch 2. I see people talking about DLSS, but Switch 2 will likely be underpowered and sold at a profit from day one. There's a reason why the Switch is used as a complimentary machine by many people.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
The the first one. :/ The difference is overwhelming.

PC is the majority platform for many top selling primarily single player games. Elden Ring, Baldurs Gate, Cyberpunk 2077, Starfield, Diablo 4, being some recent ones.
Builds that are more capable than a PS5/XSX are smaller.
Most games sell better on consoles.
Some exceptions are games like the Witcher 3/CP2077 for example but it's not the norm 🤷

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Builds that are more capable than a PS5/XSX are smaller.
Most games sell better on consoles.
Some exceptions are games like the Witcher 3/CP2077 for example but it's not the norm 🤷

The point is PC players enjoy single player games. It's not the case that there's a big difference in taste. The main driver is whether the PC port got proper attention from the developer. If it is a great version of the game, people buy it.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
The point is PC players enjoy single player games. It's not the case that there's a big difference in taste. The main driver is whether the PC port got proper attention from the developer. If it is a great version of the game, people buy it.
Not as much as console players do. PC is mainly GAAS/Multiplayer.
I think the difference in taste is huge. They are different markets.
Games like Counter Strike rule PC gaming yet console gamers have no clue what it is.

Also most ports have issues on PC when they launch.

I hope you know I am a gaming OG and yes I also play on PC.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: flaccidsnake

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Not as much as console players do. PC is mainly GAAS/Multiplayer.
I think the difference in taste is huge. They are different markets.
Games like Counter Strike rule PC gaming yet console gamers have no clue what it is.

Also most ports have issues on PC when they launch.

I hope you know I am a gaming OG and yes I also play on PC.
If you were a PC gamer OG you wouldn't be making these arguments because youd remember Myst.

Reactions: Systemshock2023
24 Jun 2022
Why do y'all keep wasting your time on @flaccidsnake ? He's the Parris Lily/Destin Legaire of Steam fanboys, just without a big platform. But all the same talking points and mannerisms as dudes like that.

Which should tell you, they aren't interested in actual conversation. Just shoving their PCMR agenda, anything not Steam be damned. Can't reason with people who only open their mouth but not their ears (figuratively speaking).

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
According to who?

Interested to see the evidence behind this because I don't see a ~800p - 1080p handheld with a couple hours of battery life as a competitor for Playstation 6.

Same thing goes for Switch 2. I see people talking about DLSS, but Switch 2 will likely be underpowered and sold at a profit from day one. There's a reason why the Switch is used as a complimentary machine by many people.
I would be surprised if the PS6 is a traditional console really Sony would be missing a completely massive mobile market that they still haven’t reach if they didn’t make the PS6 a hybrid handheld especially if they wana gain market share in Japan which they’ve massively lost to Nintendo & other markets like China, Korea & India. PS doesn’t has a strong mobile division nor there ip makes well translation for mobile the only one I can answer is a GT mobile game & sure PS portal been a success but there separate device. What makes Switch such a great device & why it sells so much hardware & software is the combination of traditional console & mobile mixing both together creating a hybrid handheld together allowing you to take your games on the go natively is a massive selling point.

I know many people that buy switch versions of 3rd party just to play on the go natively even if there inferior to other hardware. I doubt Sony is gonna sell a $500 PS6 that’s loosing money or a $600 PS6 maybe a $600 PS6 console wouldn’t be bad if PS can release 3 major games every year but at the scale there now that would be a disaster seriously PS rn can barely release 2 games without going 1 or 2 years dry till there next batch of major games releases. Maybe Sony buys Square Enix to gain scale & release more first party but until they do a $600 next gen device at the scale PS studios are now would backfire, people in general already complaining & PS5 missing targets because they can only get 1 major game & going on dry spells. & make a separate native PS handheld that can play PS4 & maybe PS5 games & sell it at $400/$500 there very likely to make the PS6 a hybrid handheld & stay away of power.

In general every new gen from now will give less & less power for the price of $500 especially seeing how totoki has said how these chips aren’t going down on prices & there actually rising instead PS needs to make there hardware more profitable from the jump & going w a PS6 hybrid at the power of a PS5 maybe power wise it has to be decreased a lil to make it portable would be a better decision. Just make devs patch a PS6 version of already 3rd party games.

Doesn’t Steamdeck play games at 1440 p 40 fps? & has like 3 to 5 hours of battery? 3 to 5 hours of battery is enough for a portable device & for players who wana play it traditional like the switch make the PS6 hybrid dockable w monitors/tv while dock it upscale 4K. Steamdeck 1 is already around the power of a PS4 targeting 60fps but mostly hitting 1080p 40fps Steamdeck 2 will be around the power of a PS5 targeting 1440p 60fps & it will release around 2025 if the PS6 release in 2027/2028 Sony can definitely make a hybrid handheld that hit lock 60fps 1440p maybe they use some new tech like ai scaling to upscale & while dock it can hit 60fps 4K w a battery life of 3-5 hours that’s not bad battery won’t be an issue when dock. If you can play PS4, PS5 & PS6 natively on a handheld & dock it that would be a massive hit in Japan, China, India & globally & you add Square Enix & Hoyoverse as first party studio or grow your mobile division/make AA games using Ape Escape, Jak & Daxter, R&C, Sly cooper , Parrapatherapper that would be a easy 150 million hit console & give PS the ability to compete w Nintendo they would also have to retract the PC port no point of talking competition against Nintendo or PC/Steam if your games are playable elsewhere

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
I would be surprised if the PS6 is a traditional console really Sony would be missing a completely massive mobile market that they still haven’t reach if they didn’t make the PS6 a hybrid handheld especially if they wana gain market share in Japan which they’ve massively lost to Nintendo & other markets like China, Korea & India.
Will be a suicide move sony already lost numerous time to nintendo handheld

With the ever growing mobile game on smartphone ps will get eaten alive

Sony already having trouble supporting psvr2

Releasing another handheld sony have to add aditional manpower to make games for it in which aside from Insomniac studio theyre already even having trouble releasing first party game on ps5 right now

Just focus on their strength. Focus releasing good first party game on your console.

Youre trying to be jack of all trades you will ended up satisfying no one and ended up with nothing

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Dr Bass

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Will be a suicide move sony already lost numerous time to nintendo handheld

With the ever growing mobile game on smartphone ps will get eaten alive

Sony already having trouble supporting psvr2

Releasing another handheld sony have to add aditional manpower to make games for it in which aside from Insomniac studio theyre already even having trouble releasing first party game on ps5 right now

Just focus on their strength. Focus releasing good first party game on your console.

Youre trying to be jack of all trades you will ended up satisfying no one and ended up with nothing
I disagree

PS console are already loosing to Nintendo consoles, might aswell find a way to further compete & eat market share away from Nintendo if possible especially in Japan.

How can PS do this? Well acquiring Square Enix & bolstering your first party gaining ip like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest & other ip specifically catered to Japan gaining expertise of making these turn base 2D smaller AA that Square Enix makes that are big in Japan also the farm games that Square a Enix makes also catered to the Japanese crowd a new Toro Inoue game that’s like animal crossing imo could do good in Japan especially if the PS6 was a hybrid handheld & people could play on the go natively. LiveALive & Octopath are great pixel AA franchises that can be brought to 3D & further grow the franchise.

Also acquiring mobile developers or a mobile publisher imo Hoyoverse already is a big deal having Genshin Impact & all of the new Hoyoverse games exclusive to PS console is massive for PS in Japan, Korea & China the popularity of Genshin Impact has lead to other mobile games being exclusive to PS consoles like Tower of Fantasy, Arknights & a bunch of other coming soon like the tencent anime mobile game that has animation like Spider-Man which will probably launch on PS & mobile.

PS6 being a hybrid handheld brings competition in the console market & mobile market allowing gamers to play some of these mobile game w better performance then phones. I rather play Genshin impact on a PS6 hybrid handheld then my iPhone 12 that gets notifications & is used for other important activities.

Idk a $500 handheld that can play consoles game’s & majority of 3rd party at 1440p 60fps & play mobile games (plus exclusive games) & if Sony bought the publisher I mention before its very appealing if it had these games exclusive. Ofc this is all hypothetical

Also if the PS6 was a hybrid handheld it wouldn’t need to make games for 2 separate platforms. That was the problem w the PSVita & Sony having to mainly support PS4 that’s a non issue if PS combines both like Nintendo Switch.

PS can continue focusing on releasing quality games I don’t get why there would be a issue w PS loosing focus I feel like your miss understanding my point I’m not saying for Sony to make a PS6 & make a handheld alongside it, I’m saying for Sony to make the PS6 a hybrid handheld. Sony would be shooting themself in the foot not being hybrid. Anyways

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Airbus

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
I disagree

PS console are already loosing to Nintendo consoles, might aswell find a way to further compete & eat market share away from Nintendo if possible especially in Japan.
Loosing? Lololol nintendo already gave up with console after Wii U

I disagree playstation deff not losing to nintendo in console space, nintendo are way behind and can no longer compete on the high end console space

Thats why nintendo ran away to handheld

Mortal Kombat 1 on switch says hi
images

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Loosing? Lololol nintendo already gave up with console after Wii U

I disagree playstation deff not losing to nintendo in console space, nintendo are way behind and can no longer compete on the high end console space

Thats why nintendo ran away to handheld

Mortal Kombat 1 on switch says hi
images

The Switch is breaking records and is the most profitable console of all time, Nintendo has several games that have sold over 30 million copies onna single console
Mario Kart 8 alone has over 60 million sales

Calling Nintendo "way behind" is just dishonest

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
The Switch is breaking records and is the most profitable console of all time, Nintendo has several games that have sold over 30 million copies onna single console
Mario Kart 8 alone has over 60 million sales

Calling Nintendo "way behind" is just dishonest
Cmon you know exacty what i mean

Yes theyre sucesfull but theyre on different frontiers than xbox series x and ps5

Last edited:

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Cmon you know exacty what i mean

Yes theyre sucesfull but theyre on different frontiers than xbox series x and ps5

Games exist to make money, nintendo is achieving that and proving that you don't need to spend billions on cutting edge graphics.

Gameplay is king, I would still take ps2 games over most modern games. Classic Ratchet and Jak are unmatched