Jim Ryan confirms that PC is a direct competitor to Playstation in FTC documents.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Games exist to make money, nintendo is achieving that and proving that you don't need to spend billions on cutting edge graphics.

Gameplay is king, I would still take ps2 games over most modern games. Classic Ratchet and Jak are unmatched
What i mean is nintendo is on blue ocean strategy right now theyre not in the same line as xbox and ps5 you get this right

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
What i mean is nintendo is on blue ocean strategy right now theyre not in the same line as xbox and ps5 you get this right

Its a strategy that Sony should adopt, let the games do the talking

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
I would be surprised if the PS6 is a traditional console really Sony would be missing a completely massive mobile market that they still haven’t reach if they didn’t make the PS6 a hybrid handheld especially if they wana gain market share in Japan which they’ve massively lost to Nintendo & other markets like China, Korea & India. PS doesn’t has a strong mobile division nor there ip makes well translation for mobile the only one I can answer is a GT mobile game & sure PS portal been a success but there separate device. What makes Switch such a great device & why it sells so much hardware & software is the combination of traditional console & mobile mixing both together creating a hybrid handheld together allowing you to take your games on the go natively is a massive selling point.

I know many people that buy switch versions of 3rd party just to play on the go natively even if there inferior to other hardware. I doubt Sony is gonna sell a $500 PS6 that’s loosing money or a $600 PS6 maybe a $600 PS6 console wouldn’t be bad if PS can release 3 major games every year but at the scale there now that would be a disaster seriously PS rn can barely release 2 games without going 1 or 2 years dry till there next batch of major games releases. Maybe Sony buys Square Enix to gain scale & release more first party but until they do a $600 next gen device at the scale PS studios are now would backfire, people in general already complaining & PS5 missing targets because they can only get 1 major game & going on dry spells. & make a separate native PS handheld that can play PS4 & maybe PS5 games & sell it at $400/$500 there very likely to make the PS6 a hybrid handheld & stay away of power.

In general every new gen from now will give less & less power for the price of $500 especially seeing how totoki has said how these chips aren’t going down on prices & there actually rising instead PS needs to make there hardware more profitable from the jump & going w a PS6 hybrid at the power of a PS5 maybe power wise it has to be decreased a lil to make it portable would be a better decision. Just make devs patch a PS6 version of already 3rd party games.

Doesn’t Steamdeck play games at 1440 p 40 fps? & has like 3 to 5 hours of battery? 3 to 5 hours of battery is enough for a portable device & for players who wana play it traditional like the switch make the PS6 hybrid dockable w monitors/tv while dock it upscale 4K. Steamdeck 1 is already around the power of a PS4 targeting 60fps but mostly hitting 1080p 40fps Steamdeck 2 will be around the power of a PS5 targeting 1440p 60fps & it will release around 2025 if the PS6 release in 2027/2028 Sony can definitely make a hybrid handheld that hit lock 60fps 1440p maybe they use some new tech like ai scaling to upscale & while dock it can hit 60fps 4K w a battery life of 3-5 hours that’s not bad battery won’t be an issue when dock. If you can play PS4, PS5 & PS6 natively on a handheld & dock it that would be a massive hit in Japan, China, India & globally & you add Square Enix & Hoyoverse as first party studio or grow your mobile division/make AA games using Ape Escape, Jak & Daxter, R&C, Sly cooper , Parrapatherapper that would be a easy 150 million hit console & give PS the ability to compete w Nintendo they would also have to retract the PC port no point of talking competition against Nintendo or PC/Steam if your games are playable elsewhere
So that's just speculation about PS6 then, because you said it looks like it will be a hybrid, but there's no actual evidence to back that up.

As far as knowing people who like to play on the go...well that's just an anecdote and not particularly meaningful.

SIE will have published four games by the end of April, so I'm not sure about this idea of them going through one or two year "dry spells".

Here's what IGN said about the Steamdeck battery life:
Running Cyberpunk 2077 at 50% brightness, the Steam Deck LCD lasted just over an hour and a half from a full charge, while the Steam Deck OLED lasted a full hour longer.
Not sure what games you're getting five hours on lol. Battery life on portables is and will continue to be pretty awful even at 720p Which is why the suggestion some have made about Switch 2 coming anywhere close to PS5 power is ludicrous. That and the fact that Nintendo will want to make a profit on it day one. And of course PS5 Pro will further steamroll it in terms of GPU and CPU power and come with some bespoke equivalent of DLSS.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Loosing? Lololol nintendo already gave up with console after Wii U

I disagree playstation deff not losing to nintendo in console space, nintendo are way behind and can no longer compete on the high end console space

Thats why nintendo ran away to handheld

Mortal Kombat 1 on switch says hi
images
Dude idk why you’re trying to downplay Nintendo I’m not even a PS hater I’m just stating facts. PS is moving bad loosing the ability of being a strong competitor by devaluing the console & porting games to PC.

Nintendo is selling more consoles, more software & making more profit then PS yes Nintendo is #1

It doesn’t even matter that Nintendo has lower specs then PS clearly consumers aren’t bothered & are choosing Nintendo then PS with the Switch outselling the PS4 w 30 million more sells. & as PS continue releasing games on PC & the power gap between Switch 2 & PS5 get smaller Nintendo will dominate even more then there already are.

PS gonna loose Final Fantasy exclusivity when the Switch 2 releases unless Sony heavily invest in Square Enix there’s zero reason for Square Enix to not release mainline final fantasy games day 1 on Switch 2 when the Switch 2 will outsell PS5 & have stronger specs then Switch 1. PS lost Yakuza exclusivity, Persona exclusivity & soon it will loose Final Fantasy exclusivity while Nintendo dominance allows them to get exclusive Dragon Quest & Monster Hunter & other big & smaller games that don’t release day 1 on PS just by having a strong position in Japan

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
Dude idk why you’re trying to downplay Nintendo I’m not even a PS hater I’m just stating facts. PS is moving bad loosing the ability of being a strong competitor by devaluing the console & porting games to PC.

Nintendo is selling more consoles, more software & making more profit then PS yes Nintendo is #1

It doesn’t even matter that Nintendo has lower specs then PS clearly consumers aren’t bothered & are choosing Nintendo then PS with the Switch outselling the PS4 w 30 million more sells. & as PS continue releasing games on PC & the power gap between Switch 2 & PS5 get smaller Nintendo will dominate even more then there already are.

PS gonna loose Final Fantasy exclusivity when the Switch 2 releases unless Sony heavily invest in Square Enix there’s zero reason for Square Enix to not release mainline final fantasy games day 1 on Switch 2 when the Switch 2 will outsell PS5 & have stronger specs then Switch 1. PS lost Yakuza exclusivity, Persona exclusivity & soon it will loose Final Fantasy exclusivity while Nintendo dominance allows them to get exclusive Dragon Quest & Monster Hunter & other big & smaller games that don’t release day 1 on PS just by having a strong position in Japan
Against this background, SteamDeck 2.0 will take a piece of the pie.

I'm sure that in terms of hardware, it will be more powerful than NS2, and will benefit from the optimization of third-party games for NS2.

And against this background, tomorrow Sony will announce a torrent port of another successful PS4\5 IP...

PS: I wouldn't be surprised if, given the significant difference in performance between NS2 and SD2, someone tries to organize a new emulator (and also get money from donors, but somehow anonymously). This will add bonuses to the promotion of SD2.0, by games from NS1, which will surely be well emulated.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
Games exist to make money, nintendo is achieving that and proving that you don't need to spend billions on cutting edge graphics.

Gameplay is king, I would still take ps2 games over most modern games. Classic Ratchet and Jak are unmatched
Playstation player expect cutting edge graphics from their first party single player games just as they want great gameplay, and if you don't know this and don't realize these two consoles have different bases then you won't understand the last decade and a half in gaming industry. Classic Ratchet and Jak style games do not make any money except on Nintendo.

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023

There s no guarante switch 2 ll be success like first one. N made flop platforms time and time again. Considering it their only platform its bigger chance to be big but it depends on pricing, releases, hype....
My phone s stronger than switch. 2 wont be anywhere close to ps5 so i highly doubt FF games ll be easy ported to switch.

Ps sells more software overall. ps5 s selling more hardware last 2 years. Ps post solid profits and without bungie profits would be record. And soon first party stuff ll be getting more releases plus marathon and other live service stuff. Helldivers s bringing in 100s on millions.
Ps revenue s almost 3 times bigger.
Its not so bad.

I read rumors sony s preparing some sort of handheld. What if its cheap handheld like 200 that gets u to access psn, buy games and stream them? Ps streaming s amazing. I was flabergasted recently after trying it.

It could make some thunder in Japan.

24 Jun 2022
Against this background, SteamDeck 2.0 will take a piece of the pie.

I'm sure that in terms of hardware, it will be more powerful than NS2, and will benefit from the optimization of third-party games for NS2.

And against this background, tomorrow Sony will announce a torrent port of another successful PS4\5 IP...

PS: I wouldn't be surprised if, given the significant difference in performance between NS2 and SD2, someone tries to organize a new emulator (and also get money from donors, but somehow anonymously). This will add bonuses to the promotion of SD2.0, by games from NS1, which will surely be well emulated.

That won't happen; Valve will ban the emulator from their store because they don't want to get caught up in a lawsuit crossfire with Nintendo on one end and the emulator on the other, just because it's hosted on their storefront. And, Valve would not allow integration of such an emulator with the Steam client.

However I agree with @Neversummer 's take that a Switch 2 could definitely pose a threat to PlayStation sales and install base growth if it's capable enough and gets a lot of the 3P support the Switch didn't see for a long while. That's assuming Sony continue with the current porting strategy to devices like PC (or cut the window even smaller) and what have you.

Reactions: Neversummer

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
That won't happen; Valve will ban the emulator from their store because they don't want to get caught up in a lawsuit crossfire with Nintendo on one end and the emulator on the other, just because it's hosted on their storefront. And, Valve would not allow integration of such an emulator with the Steam client.

However I agree with @Neversummer 's take that a Switch 2 could definitely pose a threat to PlayStation sales and install base growth if it's capable enough and gets a lot of the 3P support the Switch didn't see for a long while. That's assuming Sony continue with the current porting strategy to devices like PC (or cut the window even smaller) and what have you.
Idk why many people ignore Nintendo. Nintendo is a massive threat as the power gap gets smaller & gets more 3rd party especially as PS no longer has true exclusive & are timed for 1-2 year. PS needs to move correctly if not I can see Switch 3 taking over casual as that will prob be in line w the power of a PS5 essentially being strong enough to play any modern game & if you think devs won’t bend the knee & downgrade there games or create a switch version so they can launch day n date on Switch which has a higher installment then PS & is mobile allowing gamers to play on the go yuh if I was PS I would look at making the PS6 a hybrid handheld & also invest on 3rd part publisher of not acquire 1 or 2 imo Square Enix & Hoyoverse. Switch 2 will probably be the first console that will allow Fromsoft to release souls game on it day 1 & Nintendo being the only serious player that will allow you to play more 3rd party native on the go natively. I would worry for PS if they think this short term “profits” is beneficial for Sony while negatively devaluing the console & telling gamers across PS, Xbox, Nintendo & PC aye you really don’t need to buy our PS console if you just wait. (that’s also considering if they don’t close the timeframe for ports to 6 month)

Imo PS console should be the definitive way to play PS singleplayer games cutting out ports & making singleplayer games permanent exclusive & the best value to performance to play 3rd party (this would also apply if PS makes there console like the PS6 a hybrid handhled) only game that should go to other platforms PC, Mobile should be live service & even then some live service games like Gran Turismo should be permanent exclusive since there system sellers to the PS console if Sony want to expand reach for the GT franchise they should make a mobile version of GT. Nothing Sony does even grabbing a lil extra profit should devalue the console without PS console there’s no Sony & even putting PS at risk should not even be a consideration there’s other way of increasing profit & gaining market share on other platforms like live service, mobile games or monetizing singleplayer games give me Syphon Filter skins in days gone or give me a Jak & Daxter or Sly Cooper skin pack in R&C rift apart give me a Nathan Drake Uncharted skin in TLOU or a Jak skin for Joel or a Daxter skin for Ellie. Lower scope & decrease fat in these first party game to decrease budget some of these games have unwanted extra hours of fetch quest like days gone had 20 hours of really nothing ness better scoping increase game output these games don’t need to take 5, 6, 7 years give me a 15 hour 4 year game of pure quality no filler & im good.

In the past I would’ve said that PS doesn’t need to worry because specs & PS had exclusive but now PS doesn’t have exclusive at best they have time exclusive & PS releases very few first party games compared to Nintendo. Nintnedo is a massive threat especially as you look at the Switch 2 & eventual Switch 3. You can even look as Steamdeck 2 & Steam continue popularity & dominance in the growing PC market as a massive threat to PS especially as Sony hand them there exclusive game which for the most are compatible w Steamdeck (questionable move considering Jim Ryan said Sony sees PC as a direct competitor)

Last edited:

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Playstation player expect cutting edge graphics from their first party single player games just as they want great gameplay, and if you don't know this and don't realize these two consoles have different bases then you won't understand the last decade and a half in gaming industry. Classic Ratchet and Jak style games do not make any money except on Nintendo.
Ratchet doesn't make money on Playstation? :p

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024

Valve will benefit from a well-functioning emulator and NS1\2 games, even without its integration into Steam.

The NS emulator can be installed in a couple of clicks, and anyone can do it, especially with the numerous detailed instructions on YouTube.

So if SD2 is powerful enough for emulation, Valve will make a big profit and legally they will be clean.

Imagine tons of videos and articles on "NS1\2 games run great on SteamDeck2".

And this is where Sony games "play great on SteamDeck."

Reactions: JAHGamer
24 Jun 2022
Idk why many people ignore Nintendo. Nintendo is a massive threat as the power gap gets smaller & gets more 3rd party especially as PS no longer has true exclusive & are timed for 1-2 year. PS needs to move correctly if not I can see Switch 3 taking over casual as that will prob be in line w the power of a PS5 essentially being strong enough to play any modern game & if you think devs won’t bend the knee & downgrade there games or create a switch version so they can launch day n date on Switch which has a higher installment then PS & is mobile allowing gamers to play on the go yuh if I was PS I would look at making the PS6 a hybrid handheld & also invest on 3rd part publisher of not acquire 1 or 2 imo Square Enix & Hoyoverse. Switch 2 will probably be the first console that will allow Fromsoft to release souls game on it day 1 & Nintendo being the only serious player that will allow you to play more 3rd party native on the go natively. I would worry for PS if they think this short term “profits” is beneficial for Sony while negatively devaluing the console & telling gamers across PS, Xbox, Nintendo & PC aye you really don’t need to buy our PS console if you just wait. (that’s also considering if they don’t close the timeframe for ports to 6 month)

Imo PS console should be the definitive way to play PS singleplayer games cutting out ports & making singleplayer games permanent exclusive & the best value to performance to play 3rd party (this would also apply if PS makes there console like the PS6 a hybrid handhled) only game that should go to other platforms PC, Mobile should be live service & even then some live service games like Gran Turismo should be permanent exclusive since there system sellers to the PS console if Sony want to expand reach for the GT franchise they should make a mobile version of GT. Nothing Sony does even grabbing a lil extra profit should devalue the console without PS console there’s no Sony & even putting PS at risk should not even be a consideration there’s other way of increasing profit & gaining market share on other platforms like live service, mobile games or monetizing singleplayer games give me Syphon Filter skins in days gone or give me a Jak & Daxter or Sly Cooper skin pack in R&C rift apart give me a Nathan Drake Uncharted skin in TLOU or a Jak skin for Joel or a Daxter skin for Ellie. Lower scope & decrease fat in these first party game to decrease budget some of these games have unwanted extra hours of fetch quest like days gone had 20 hours of really nothing ness better scoping increase game output these games don’t need to take 5, 6, 7 years give me a 15 hour 4 year game of pure quality no filler & im good.

In the past I would’ve said that PS doesn’t need to worry because specs & PS had exclusive but now PS doesn’t have exclusive at best they have time exclusive & PS releases very few first party games compared to Nintendo. Nintnedo is a massive threat especially as you look at the Switch 2 & eventual Switch 3. You can even look as Steamdeck 2 & Steam continue popularity & dominance in the growing PC market as a massive threat to PS especially as Sony hand them there exclusive game which for the most are compatible w Steamdeck (questionable move considering Jim Ryan said Sony sees PC as a direct competitor)

Yeah it's starting to look a bit spooky for PlayStation in terms of console market share going forward. Nintendo is right there, they have a genuine exclusivity strategy for their own 1P games (no ports to other consoles, no PC ports), and if Switch 2 is as capable as it's sounding to be, they will get a lot more 3P support from the start. 3P games that were defacto-PS5 exclusive console-wise (which wasn't much to begin with) won't have a hard time getting Switch 2 versions out of the gate. Pair that with Nintendo's own 1P games and I can definitely see whatever sales advantage PS5 has ATM in places like Japan evaporating, and losing ground to Nintendo in other global markets including here in the US.

When almost all 3P are going multiplatform by default these days, the platform holder's own exclusives have to act as the differentiator. I haven't even proposed that Sony completely lock out other platforms; however, making your porting windows to platforms like PC as short as 6 months for some games, 1-2 years on average for non-GAAS, and porting your entire current-gen catalog over at that, is a recipe for sales rot. For starters it removes a lot of the reason to even bother with a PS5 Pro; I'm sure a sizable number of hardcore & core enthusiast PS5 owners also have a PC; whether it's up to spec or not isn't the point. They have one. And most likely, a lot of them would rather upgrade their PC or invest in PC long-term vs. getting a PS5 Pro, when they can get as good or better-than-PS5 Pro performance and access to many other games & features not on PS5.

That becomes brain-dead easy for them to make as a decision when the current strategy is what it is, or gets more aggressive (i.e shorter windows between ports) in time. And a major reason for that is because, with short or shortening windows to other platforms like PC, more dev time is added to the base game meaning PS5 owners have to wait longer anyway. So over the course of a generation, they're playing less 1P games due to the added dev times, even if the games aren't Day 1 to PC, because the PC version isn't that far behind.

I mean just think about this: the only 1P games since 2020 that are still exclusive to PS5 are Demon's Souls, GT7, GOW Ragnarok and Spiderman 2. And Astro's PlayRoom. That's it. A whopping 5 games, and we're only maybe halfway through the current generation. How is that sustainable long-term in regards to driving growth towards the console? If Demon's Souls gets ported, it'll have been 4 years (acceptable time frame, but not so much when every other game's been ported and usually in half the time or less). If GT7 gets ported this year, it'll have been a little over 2 years. They'l probably end up porting Astro's Playroom at some point too.

Meanwhile at this point it'd be foolish to not expect GOW Ragnarok on PC later this year, or early 2025, and probably Spiderman 2 in late 2025, assuming of course SIE are still sticking to their current strategy, and haven't internally changed plans regarding non-GAAS ports.

But every other 1P game besides ironically MLB The Show (which is now on Nintendo & Xbox; fine in isolation as it's a sports game & GAAS but, again, it's about the whole picture) released by SIE since 2020 has come to PC, besides GOW Ragnarok and Spiderman 2. Again, if the timing for ports of the non-GAAS games (particularly AAA) ones were closer to 4-6 years, they had a good flow of new equivalent games releasing for the console exclusively, and they retained some as permanent console exclusives (at least until the next generation at earliest for a port), then that'd be a great balance of the multiplatform strategy. Some would still balk yes, but far far less than what is being seen at current.

Oh and if Valve decide to do a hybrid handheld/console for a future Steam Deck and get manufacturing to a mass scale? And Sony continue with the strategy as has been set the past few years? I don't see PlayStation consoles making out from that too well. You'd basically have another Xbox at that point, but maybe pulling lower averages of 70-80 million lifetime instead of 40-60 million the way it's been going for Xbox the past decade (and Series systems looking they'll finish in the lower end of that 40-60 million range).

Valve will benefit from a well-functioning emulator and NS1\2 games, even without its integration into Steam.

The NS emulator can be installed in a couple of clicks, and anyone can do it, especially with the numerous detailed instructions on YouTube.

So if SD2 is powerful enough for emulation, Valve will make a big profit and legally they will be clean.

Imagine tons of videos and articles on "NS1\2 games run great on SteamDeck2".

And this is where Sony games "play great on SteamDeck."

Well, my point was that Valve would not legally associate with those emulators as a selling feature, and there's always a possibility Nintendo and Valve work out some agreement that prevents Steam users from installing and running Nintendo emulators on Valve devices.

Because eventually if things escalate legally between Nintendo and other emulator makers, they could start to target companies hosting those emulator products as complicit in copyright and IP infringements. It can get rather messy.

Though, I'm 100% against going after emulators that were made in a "clean room" environment and whose makers aren't making money from the emulator in any way nor trying to sell and distribute ISO/ROM dumps of commercial games (including before they even go on sale), both things the Yuzu makers messed up at (hence why they went down so easily).

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Yeah it's starting to look a bit spooky for PlayStation in terms of console market share going forward. Nintendo is right there, they have a genuine exclusivity strategy for their own 1P games (no ports to other consoles, no PC ports), and if Switch 2 is as capable as it's sounding to be, they will get a lot more 3P support from the start. 3P games that were defacto-PS5 exclusive console-wise (which wasn't much to begin with) won't have a hard time getting Switch 2 versions out of the gate. Pair that with Nintendo's own 1P games and I can definitely see whatever sales advantage PS5 has ATM in places like Japan evaporating, and losing ground to Nintendo in other global markets including here in the US.

When almost all 3P are going multiplatform by default these days, the platform holder's own exclusives have to act as the differentiator. I haven't even proposed that Sony completely lock out other platforms; however, making your porting windows to platforms like PC as short as 6 months for some games, 1-2 years on average for non-GAAS, and porting your entire current-gen catalog over at that, is a recipe for sales rot. For starters it removes a lot of the reason to even bother with a PS5 Pro; I'm sure a sizable number of hardcore & core enthusiast PS5 owners also have a PC; whether it's up to spec or not isn't the point. They have one. And most likely, a lot of them would rather upgrade their PC or invest in PC long-term vs. getting a PS5 Pro, when they can get as good or better-than-PS5 Pro performance and access to many other games & features not on PS5.

That becomes brain-dead easy for them to make as a decision when the current strategy is what it is, or gets more aggressive (i.e shorter windows between ports) in time. And a major reason for that is because, with short or shortening windows to other platforms like PC, more dev time is added to the base game meaning PS5 owners have to wait longer anyway. So over the course of a generation, they're playing less 1P games due to the added dev times, even if the games aren't Day 1 to PC, because the PC version isn't that far behind.

I mean just think about this: the only 1P games since 2020 that are still exclusive to PS5 are Demon's Souls, GT7, GOW Ragnarok and Spiderman 2. And Astro's PlayRoom. That's it. A whopping 5 games, and we're only maybe halfway through the current generation. How is that sustainable long-term in regards to driving growth towards the console? If Demon's Souls gets ported, it'll have been 4 years (acceptable time frame, but not so much when every other game's been ported and usually in half the time or less). If GT7 gets ported this year, it'll have been a little over 2 years. They'l probably end up porting Astro's Playroom at some point too.

Meanwhile at this point it'd be foolish to not expect GOW Ragnarok on PC later this year, or early 2025, and probably Spiderman 2 in late 2025, assuming of course SIE are still sticking to their current strategy, and haven't internally changed plans regarding non-GAAS ports.

But every other 1P game besides ironically MLB The Show (which is now on Nintendo & Xbox; fine in isolation as it's a sports game & GAAS but, again, it's about the whole picture) released by SIE since 2020 has come to PC, besides GOW Ragnarok and Spiderman 2. Again, if the timing for ports of the non-GAAS games (particularly AAA) ones were closer to 4-6 years, they had a good flow of new equivalent games releasing for the console exclusively, and they retained some as permanent console exclusives (at least until the next generation at earliest for a port), then that'd be a great balance of the multiplatform strategy. Some would still balk yes, but far far less than what is being seen at current.

Oh and if Valve decide to do a hybrid handheld/console for a future Steam Deck and get manufacturing to a mass scale? And Sony continue with the strategy as has been set the past few years? I don't see PlayStation consoles making out from that too well. You'd basically have another Xbox at that point, but maybe pulling lower averages of 70-80 million lifetime instead of 40-60 million the way it's been going for Xbox the past decade (and Series systems looking they'll finish in the lower end of that 40-60 million range).

Well, my point was that Valve would not legally associate with those emulators as a selling feature, and there's always a possibility Nintendo and Valve work out some agreement that prevents Steam users from installing and running Nintendo emulators on Valve devices.

Because eventually if things escalate legally between Nintendo and other emulator makers, they could start to target companies hosting those emulator products as complicit in copyright and IP infringements. It can get rather messy.

Though, I'm 100% against going after emulators that were made in a "clean room" environment and whose makers aren't making money from the emulator in any way nor trying to sell and distribute ISO/ROM dumps of commercial games (including before they even go on sale), both things the Yuzu makers messed up at (hence why they went down so easily).
why did @flaccidsnake laugh at this comment 1 second after it was posted? this guy is a douchebag

• fire
Reactions: Nhomnhom

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
why did @flaccidsnake laugh at this comment 1 second after it was posted? this guy is a douchebag

The wall of text is hilarious on its face, but I got a particular chuckle out of this failure to comprehend basic things:

my point was that Valve would not legally associate with those emulators as a selling feature, and there's always a possibility Nintendo and Valve work out some agreement that prevents Steam users from installing and running Nintendo emulators on Valve devices
It's even more absurd than the guy saying "legal" emulators must protect against loading "pirated" software.

Also why are you react-policing?

Hacking Work From Home GIF

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023

Agree

At this point as a mainly PS consumer for the first time w the PS5 generation I’ve open my horizon & invested more in my PC & started playing more games on it & looked into Nintendo. PS strategy is just weird because it follow the same route Xbox went & we’ve seen where Xbox is at now. The problem w porting games to PC is it doesn’t matter if it was just 1 game & the ports comes 1-2 years later the mere possibility is the reason I know many people not buying PS 1st party games on PS now that they get ported & I can’t blame them most are just waiting for it on PC or are deciding to not buy a PS5 & just upgrade there PC.

As a PS gamer Im just loosing confidence on the PS brand & just hoping that they go day n date & bring trophy support to PC just so i can sell my PS5 & get a Steamdeck 2 when it comes out in 2025 so I no longer have to pay $80 a year for the online (I would not be surprised if PS+ is $100 by the end of PS6 generation). Overall PC & Nintendo is looking like the safer investment to make long term & the way to go especially as PS barely has first party games anyway the wait is easy PS release more PC port then first party games on PS console in 2023 & it looks like it for 2024 aswell.

PS is in danger imo w the Switch 2 being more powerful & Steamdeck 2 being around the power of a PS5 getting into the PC ecosystem is as low as $500. Both Steam & Nintendo have exclusive if Valve where to create more games PS would really be in a weird position & because PS port games if PS reversed decision the damage would already have been done as PC gamers won’t buy your console because you already ported games to OC even if you reverse decision they wait & think PS will crack again & bend the knee. PS6 will be the first generation where I probably don’t buy the console as I fully invest in PC & Nintendo for the first time.

Also PC port contradict future hardware say PS6 is a handheld hybrid why would someone buy it when it don’t have exclusive & you can buy a Steamdeck 2/Steamdeck 3 or a Switch 2/3 that either have exclusive or has your games/gets your game & has trophies support aswell PS console at this point are beta testers while when they port it to PC is the definitive experience for a far cheaper price + mods + the same trophies support. Games like Returnal had a PCVR mode that isn’t supported on PS people are creating whole new modes in TLOU 1 on PC because of mods, creating new content & ways to play the game that you can’t get on PS

PS this year in 2024 will port HFW, GOT, TLOU2, Until Dawn, Gravity Rush maybe Demon Souls maybe GT7 maybe GOW ragnarok that’s like 5+ games ported & PS is releasing 0 major titles on PS in 2024 it’s just crazy optics that makes consumers think ehh I really don’t need to buy a PS console or make them question why they’ve even bought a PS

Reactions: kuzon and J_Paganel

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
PS this year in 2024 will port HFW, GOT, TLOU2, Until Dawn, Gravity Rush maybe Demon Souls maybe GT7 maybe GOW ragnarok that’s like 5+ games ported & PS is releasing 0 major titles on PS in 2024 it’s just crazy optics that makes consumers think ehh I really don’t need to buy a PS console or I shouldn’t buy it because I really don’t mind waiting
This is what ive been saying lately

These fecker👊👊👊👊👊👊 too busy porting games to PC instead of providing more games for playstation owners👊👊👊👊

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
SteamDeck, to simplify things, has two parts: a fully functional Linux and Steam software.

Valve can't do anything to stop you from running other software from the Linux desktop.

Right now, with the help of third-party compatibility tools, games from GOG.com and numerous emulators work well on SD1, and Valve is not legally involved in this, but it will benefit from it.

• brain
Reactions: flaccidsnake