Jim Ryan's 30 years at PlayStation has officially ended. Says PS5 "on track" to be Sony’s most successful & PS2 sold 160 million (PS official podcast)

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Euh their best-selling console of all time is still the DS, and the Switch may be the best-selling console of all time in the coming months, but for the time being it's not yet.

Reactions: Bryank75

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Exactly. The failure of the Wii U was one too many for them in this sector.
5710e9f3dd0895c3728b4a27

Switch/Oled = Handheld + TV Mode (Like Home console)
Switch Lite = Handheld only

It's not me saying it, it's Nintendo.

UXXJ0NH.jpeg

And since Nintendo fanboys like to say that the Switch is also a home console, we're just pointing out that the Switch Lite isn't, so if we make a direct comparison with the PS2 (which is 100% home), The sales of Switch Lite cannot be counted, you have to be logical.
Now, if you want my opinion, the Switch isn't a home console, and it doesn't matter whether it's a hybrid or not, it's a portable at heart.

As for your example of the PS5, Pro or Digital, it doesn't matter, all 3 are still home consoles and target the same market, the Switch Lite isn't since it's lost its TV mode and only targets the mobile market, whereas the classic and the oled target both markets and can be compared with others home console.
If you want to fudge the numbers, Sony fanboy, now remove every PS2 sold because it was purchased to be used as DVD player instead of a console.

Also If Sony is so mighty and untouchable as you PlayStation fanboys suggest why did they never approach PS2 numbers again? PSP + PS2 makes them look even worse.

Just accept that Nintendo is having massive success while Sony doesnt even believe in their own console anymore and are now porting all their games to PC just like Xbox started to do before it died.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
If you want to fudge the numbers, Sony fanboy, now remove every PS2 sold because it was purchased to be used as DVD player instead of a console.

Also If Sony is so mighty and untouchable as you PlayStation fanboys suggest why did they never approach PS2 numbers again? PSP + PS2 makes them look even worse.

Just accept that Nintendo is having massive success while Sony doesnt even believe in their own console anymore and are now porting all their games to PC just like Xbox started to do before it died.

• Nintendo Home console : 281.86 million units sold (with 7 consoles since 1977) = an average of 40 millions per generation.
  • Sony Home console : *522.29 million units sold (with only 5 consoles since 1994) = an average of 104 million per generation.
*with a PS5 that hasn't finished its career yet.

The facts are the facts, no need to do your damage control.
Just accept that Sony is a better home console seller than Nintendo and move on
full.png

kirby64

28 Mar 2024
I kind of question what people expected after the 3DS. Nintendo's strength has always been in the portable market - you can't deny this - meanwhile the Wii U flopped. Sony was able to put up a fight exactly once in the portable market and despite the PSP selling really well in its own right got absolutely shredded by the DS, and the less said about the Vita the better.

The problem is that after the 3DS the only logical place to go is an HD handheld. HD dev costs are astronomical compared to something like the 3DS - trying to support an HD home console and a separate HD handheld would have been development suicide. The Switch is kind of just the logical conclusion of all of Nintendo's strengths and weaknesses, and allowed them to consolidate their studios to all target a portable system - their objective strength.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
  • Nintendo Home console : 281.86 million units sold (with 7 consoles since 1977) = an average of 40 millions per generation.
  • Sony Home console : *522.29 million units sold (with only 5 consoles since 1994) = an average of 104 million per generation.
*with a PS5 that hasn't finished its career yet.

The facts are the facts, no need to do your damage control.
Just accept that Sony is a better home console seller than Nintendo and move on
full.png
Just accept that Nintendo is a better console seller than Sony and move on.

Shigeru Miyamoto Thumbs Up GIF by Gaming GIFs

I kind of question what people expected after the 3DS. Nintendo's strength has always been in the portable market - you can't deny this - meanwhile the Wii U flopped. Sony was able to put up a fight exactly once in the portable market and despite the PSP selling really well in its own right got absolutely shredded by the DS, and the less said about the Vita the better.

The problem is that after the 3DS the only logical place to go is an HD handheld. HD dev costs are astronomical compared to something like the 3DS - trying to support an HD home console and a separate HD handheld would have been development suicide. The Switch is kind of just the logical conclusion of all of Nintendo's strengths and weaknesses, and allowed them to consolidate their studios to all target a portable system - their objective strength.
Yet people here want to discredit Nintendo while claiming Sony is untouchable while having difficulties selling as much PS5s as PS4s (despite Xbox pretty much dying), no presence in the portable market and are now porting all their games to PC.

It's Chad Warden levels of "Sony always win baby" but taken seriously.

Reactions: J_Paganel

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
It's a portable console, what I don't get it is why that distinction matters. Who cares? It is still a direct competitor to PlayStation and one that seems like it has a lot more room to grow.

In the end of the day the Switch is a pretty expensive weak hardware, with limited third party support and still moved 140m+ units while Sony is unlikely to get similar numbers with the PS5.

Underestimating Nintendo and NVidia is a terrible strategy and will only compound with the already ongoing bad strategies like empowering Steam while asking nothing else in return.

I'll not be surprised once PS6 ends up selling considerably less than the PS4 and PS5 and at the point what do you think these Sony accountants that are in charge will do? As things are Sony is already clearly showing at every opportunity that they are not satisfied with their share of the market and are completely delusional thinking they can pivot to PC/mobile.

Are you a Sony fan because of their mobile and PC games? I don't think so. Right now they seem to care about anyone but their core fans.

I would love to be proven wrong BTW and have Sony doubling down on the console market and traditional games business model but that seems really unlikely
Just accept that Nintendo is a better console seller than Sony and move on.

Yet people here want to discredit Nintendo while claiming Sony is untouchable while having difficulties selling as much PS5s as PS4s (despite Xbox pretty much dying), no presence in the portable market and are now porting all their games to PC.

It's Chad Warden levels of "Sony always win baby" but taken seriously.
Sony current leadership is trash, we all know this, it still doesn't change the fact that the Switch Lite is NOT A CONSOLE. Two things can be true at once.....

Whether the PS5 sells 1 billion units or 0 units, the Switch Lite still isn't a console. Requires no TV, creating a lower barrier of entry. It's normal for people to have multiple Switch's in 1 household, but PlayStations are usually shared since they require a TV. Even I have 2 Switch's, I first bought a Switch Lite and then regretted it and bought a regular Switch. So yes, it IS completely different from PS5 sales....

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

I was expecting what they did: to copy what PSP and Vita did right, which was not limiting the handhelds to an inferior experience and provide almost a home console-like experience on the go, getting some multiplatform games and specially becoming the defacto portable device for indies to increase their 3rd party support.

On top of that, they did something I didn't expect but was so smart: to merge their home console market, catalog and dev teams into their portable, having a single device this generation instead of two, and focus it on where they have been more successful: portables.

Focusing on portables made special sense since Sony moved away after not performing well with Vita, so now they had the whole portable market for them. A powerful portable also did fit them well because since their games aren't designed for powerful home consoles were easier to adapt for portables that it would have been for Sony or MS because they normally aim for high end visuals.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sony current leadership is trash, we all know this, it still doesn't change the fact that the Switch Lite is NOT A CONSOLE. Two things can be true at once.....

Whether the PS5 sells 1 billion units or 0 units, the Switch Lite still isn't a console. Requires no TV, creating a lower barrier of entry. It's normal for people to have multiple Switch's in 1 household, but PlayStations are usually shared since they require a TV. Even I have 2 Switch's, I first bought a Switch Lite and then regretted it and bought a regular Switch. So yes, it IS completely different from PS5 sales....
Switch Lite is a portable only console, the regular Switch and Switch OLED are hybrid consoles. I don't think anyone can argue against this.

I just don't get why the PS2, a console that release 24 years ago being the best sold console ever means so much to you guys and why the Switch success is so treating, get over it. The market has dramatically changed since then.

Nintendo right now has found a strategy that work perfectly for them, allowed them to completely dominate the portable market while leaving the door open to take market share from Sony and Xbox on the traditional home console. I think Nintendo is pretty aware that they could benefit from a more powerful non portable version of their console for people that are interested in better image quality and playing better version of third party games, if anything it's surprising that they didn't try it this gen.

Of the three console manufactures remaining Nintendo is clearly the one that better understands the gaming market. The low power of Nintendo devices is an issue that over time becomes less and less important. Nintendo never go into the habit of devaluing their own games and only thinking short term, something that Xbox and Sony are keep doing.

Last edited:

kirby64

28 Mar 2024
I was expecting what they did: to copy what PSP and Vita did right, which was not limiting the handhelds to an inferior experience and provide almost a home console-like experience on the go, getting some multiplatform games and specially becoming the defacto portable device for indies to increase their 3rd party support.

On top of that, they did something I didn't expect but was so smart: to merge their home console market, catalog and dev teams into their portable, having a single device this generation instead of two, and focus it on where they have been more successful: portables.

Focusing on portables made special sense since Sony moved away after not performing well with Vita, so now they had the whole portable market for them. A powerful portable also did fit them well because since their games aren't designed for powerful home consoles were easier to adapt for portables that it would have been for Sony or MS because they normally aim for high end visuals.
The Switch is weird because... well, forget the PSP and Vita, in many ways its OS is inferior in some ways to the 3DS, despite apparently being an offshoot of it - no themes, no dedicated eShop app (its just a clunky web portal that lags all the time) - no internet browser, not even the odd features and apps that were kind of stupid and useless (like the microphone app/minigame on the 3DS) but nonetheless gave the system charm. Themes especially kind of baffle me. The functionality is literally right there, paid themes would have just been free money.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

Switch still not home console no more than phone would be. This all you can connect to the tv is nonsensical statement, you can do that you Phones too, easily.

You can make PS5 with screen too as portable console, doesn't make it handheld or portable console.

Reactions: Evilms

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The Switch is weird because... well, forget the PSP and Vita, in many ways its OS is inferior in some ways to the 3DS, despite apparently being an offshoot of it - no themes, no dedicated eShop app (its just a clunky web portal that lags all the time) - no internet browser, not even the odd features and apps that were kind of stupid and useless (like the microphone app/minigame on the 3DS) but nonetheless gave the system charm. Themes especially kind of baffle me. The functionality is literally right there, paid themes would have just been free money.
Sony answer to the Switch was always a portable PS4 release at the end of the console life, but after the Vita they just became to scared to try and too focused on short term profits to see how not doing hurts them.

Now if you want to play PlayStation on the go you need a portable PC like the Steam Deck, that is an absolute failure from Sony's part.

Switch still not home console no more than phone would be. This all you can connect to the tv is nonsensical statement, you can do that you Phones too, easily.

You can make PS5 with screen too as portable console, doesn't make it handheld or portable console.
nintendo-switch.jpg

LnBuZw.webp

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Let's see how that goes now that PlayStation games are all being ported to PC, they have no presence on the portable market and their own internal studios are taking ages to even announce games. Sony is clearly underestimating Nintendo and Valve thinking that getting rid of Xbox was all they needed to do.

If Sony is already dissatisfied while selling 110m+ console what will happens when that number drops? These current Sony executives are about to kill PlayStation just like Phil Spencer killed Xbox and you guys are cheering every step taken in that direction.

Reactions: J_Paganel

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Switch Lite is a portable only console, the regular Switch and Switch OLED are hybrid consoles. I don't think anyone can argue against this.

I just don't get why the PS2, a console that release 24 years ago being the best sold console ever means so much to you guys and why the Switch success is so treating, get over it. The market has dramatically changed since then.

Nintendo right now has found a strategy that work perfectly for them, allowed them to completely dominate the portable market while leaving the door open to take market share from Sony and Xbox on the traditional home console. I think Nintendo is pretty aware that they could benefit from a more powerful non portable version of their console for people that are interested in better image quality and playing better version of third party games, if anything it's surprising that they didn't try it this gen.
"Portable only console".... 😂😂😂😂 Really bro? 🤣 You're the one being stubborn, but we can agree to disagree. This debate is pointless, I think even you know you're wrong 🤣

Of the three console manufactures remaining Nintendo is clearly the one that better understands the gaming market. The low power of Nintendo devices is an issue that over time becomes less and less important. Nintendo never go into the habit of devaluing their own games and only thinking short term, something that Xbox and Sony are keep doing.
You keep repeating this over and over, like I've ever disagreed? I've said this same thing countless times on this site. Again, 2 things can be true at once 🤦‍♂️ Just shows you have no real argument....but its ok

Why do you keep ignoring my message? 😂 I don't care about the regular Switch, whether it is or isn't a console is irrelevant, that discussion is not even worth acknowledging. What is worth acknowledging is that the Switch Lite exists, and no one can argue in good faith that it's a console.

Either way, we come to the same conclusion that PS2 still remains the best selling console for the foreseeable future.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The future of PlayStation consoles is what is happening to Xbox right now. Why wouldn't it be? It doesn't matter if the Switch or DS are classified as consoles or not (they obviously are because a portable console is by definition a console).

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The future of PlayStation consoles is what is happening to Xbox. It doesn't matter if the Switch or DS are classified as consoles or not (they obviously are because a portable console is by definition a console).
You want definition.

Console is a describes a gaming box or device that is primarily designed to play games that connects to a TV.

Neither Switch was primarily used or designed as that.

So sit down. And stop your strawmanning comments.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Vertigo

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
The future of PlayStation consoles is what is happening to Xbox right now. Why wouldn't it be? It doesn't matter if the Switch or DS are classified as consoles or not (they obviously are because a portable console is by definition a console).
This is true. I’m glad that Nintendo doesn’t fall for the same stupid traps that Sony does. Right now is another test for Sony, all the media shills are spouting that “the industry is changing” BS because Xbox put their games on PlayStation. And there’s been a non stop astroturfed portbeg campaign for Helldivers 2 to go to Xbox, even coming from Phil himself. Sony might even be stupid enough to follow through and I wouldn’t even be surprised 🤦‍♂️ If they do, then it’ll really be the end of PlayStation.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
This is true. I’m glad that Nintendo doesn’t fall for the same stupid traps that Sony does. Right now is another test for Sony, all the media shills are spouting that “the industry is changing” BS because Xbox put their games on PlayStation. And there’s been a non stop astroturfed portbeg campaign for Helldivers 2 to go to Xbox, even coming from Phil himself. Sony might even be stupid enough to follow through and I wouldn’t even be surprised 🤦‍♂️ If they do, then it’ll really be the end of PlayStation.
All people gravitates towards uniqueness.
What makes you different, exceptional.

Where Playstation is going is in an opposite direction, it is suicide as a brand because you devalue you brand.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
They said their focus will continue being the console (their main revenue source) and PC (+ other new markets) would be a secondary revenue source to bump their profits.

True, they must make a ton of money and profit with Steam thanks to the 3rd party games, so they focus on it and don't need to sell their games outside to keep being profitable, specially when they don't have over two dozen AAA titles under development.

Exactly and so do PlayStation.... if they want to make more money, they should make less first party games and concentrate on being the 3rd party place of choice.

The whole premise of pushing to be a publisher of VERY expensive to make games is negative for Sony.

They should focus on making the console bigger... not their games. The games only exist to push their money maker... console.