[LEAK] PlayStation Games PC Port Budgets Revealed! Spider-Man 2 PC Port to Release in FY 2025

Aceman

Banned
11 Dec 2023
Also can we take a moment to talk about how the simultaneous PC development is potentially going to hurt game innovation and optimization specific to PlayStation hardware for the 1P titles? Again, same issues we've been seeing with Xbox. I doubt we ever get Sony 1P games that push the limits of their respective hardware, the way games like TLOU, GT4 and TLOU2 managed to do. Games that punched well above their weight in the industry as far as production values, fidelity, AI, physics etc. were concerned.
This sentence doesn't make sense to me. What can the PS do that a PC can't do? Every PC port has more features than the PS counterparts.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yeah we need more sources or a valid one.
True.

We're believing many of these screenshots of documents or data because in theory they are from the Insomniac leak, but many of them may be fake or incomplete information to take it out of context.

Ideally it would be great to download the data, but I don't have enough HDD and time, and I won't download anything from a hackers website to my computer. It would be great if someone could download the data and reupload it to a safer place. At least the documents full documents were we get that data or screenshots to get their context.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This sentence doesn't make sense to me. What can the PS do that a PC can't do? Every PC port has more features than the PS counterparts.
Because hardware-specific programming always leads to better and faster implementations. There's a reason why iOS is more performant than android, for example. If you control the hardware and the software, you're closer to the former and can extract better performance.

When you have to account for PS SDK + DirectX, you will always have to sacrifice some implementations the former allows when compared to the later. So either you a) create different paths for the same outcome, b) sacrifice the outcome, or c) brute force the outcome.

TLDR: it's not about what the PC cant or can do, it's about sacrificing performance and stability on the PS version in detriment of the PC version due to how implementations vary and how limited QA and programming staff is in a lot of studios.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
ekhMBfK.png

Last edited:

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Are we sure that’s not just the cost to do the port and is not the release year?

At the same time, 2024 would explain Spider-Man 2 having so many bugs and missing features that SM 1 already had. Too much focus on PC and not your own console.
PS is slowly pushing me to migrate to PC fully, SM2 should release in early 2024 bugs & missing features rushing games cause either PS don’t have enough studios (in that case buy publishers to bolster 1st party) & or Insomniac & PS focus on the PC port is completely bs & should deserve more scrutiny.

It’s insane that Xbox imploded in itself due to PC focus & day 1 gamepass & PS like yuh let’s follow suit, sometime PS be making the dumbest decisions following 3rd place when they should be following 1st place & that’s Nintendo. Nintendo just double down on console & the importance of exclusive games to consoles not “timed exclusive” like PS games are now

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
True

A PC build is worth shit since people migrate out of your ecosystem to get it. You lose a console sale, you lose a store % cut, and you have to support multiple platforms. Literally big brain moment.

No, it won't, this has been debunked already in multiple places. But you keep hoping for it, maybe if you ask santa very very much he'll deliver.
People miss understood the leaks when Insomniac said they want to release all games by 2030 thinking they were implying of releasing games day 1 on PC by 2030. It really doesn’t matter if PS goes day 1 on PC I & many will just migrate to PC the Steamdeck 2 will replace the “PS console” If PS doesn’t understand that PC is a competitor they deserve to implode there brand like Xbox. Used to buy Xbox consoles the 360 was glorious, after they went PC day 1 I just migrated to PC for Xbox games & steamdeck act & replace Xbox console for me

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
It specifically says "Playstation & PC" at the top. At the bottom, it says if the game doesn't sell 6M combined PS5/PC in the first year, the contract could be broken.

Could Sony release only on PS5 and still sell 6M in the first year? Maybe, but you're grasping at straws to make that conclusion from the text.
From the leaks we already know SM2 already sold 7 million in its first 1/2 month

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
People miss understood the leaks when Insomniac said they want to release all games by 2030 thinking they were implying of releasing games day 1 on PC by 2030. It really doesn’t matter if PS goes day 1 on PC I & many will just migrate to PC the Steamdeck 2 will replace the “PS console” If PS doesn’t understand that PC is a competitor they deserve to implode there brand like Xbox. Used to buy Xbox consoles the 360 was glorious, after they went PC day 1 I just migrated to PC for Xbox games & steamdeck act & replace Xbox console for me
Honestly, if Sony starts releasing all their games on PC I will not get their next console. I get their games for their bug free experience, high production values, and because they use the console resources to the maximum. Porting games to PC just means that they have to be developed with PC in mind. We have seen how many more bugs recent releases have had (SM2 being the prime example, but even TLOU Pt 1 Remake had quite a few on PS) as an example.

Reactions: Nomen_Nescio

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Honestly, if Sony starts releasing all their games on PC I will not get their next console. I get their games for their bug free experience, high production values, and because they use the console resources to the maximum. Porting games to PC just means that they have to be developed with PC in mind. We have seen how many more bugs recent releases have had (SM2 being the prime example, but even TLOU Pt 1 Remake had quite a few on PS) as an example.
PS is loosing sales on console which also looses sales on game sales & mtx sales as Xbox players are just migrating to PC knowing PS games will be ported to PC in 1 or 2 year. Also PC players are waiting for PS games to be ported instead of buying on PS5. Nintendo players will also slowly stop buying PS as Nintendo Switch 2 will get more 3rd party & can just get PS games on PC. If PS doesn’t understand that PC is a competitor & steamdeck is slowly acting as a replacement for PS consoles PS deserves to implode in itself. Steamdeck has essentially replace Xbox consoles for me the rumor of Xbox making a handheld is redundant if they’re games are day 1 PC

Reactions: J_Paganel

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
This table is wrong, Spider-Man, Uncharted 4, Uncharted: Lost Legacy and TLOU1 released years before in PS, PS users have been playing these games for years before they were released in PC.

And Sackboy has over 1500 people in its game credits, even if it's a kids friendly platformer it's also a AAA game.

Regarding "Other publisher games" there's also Journey, Flower, Detroit, Beyond: Two Souls, Heavy Rain.

PS is loosing sales on console which also looses sales on game sales & mtx sales as Xbox players are just migrating to PC knowing PS games will be ported to PC in 1 or 2 year. Also PC players are waiting for PS games to be ported instead of buying on PS5. Nintendo players will also slowly stop buying PS as Nintendo Switch 2 will get more 3rd party & can just get PS games on PC. If PS doesn’t understand that PC is a competitor & steamdeck is slowly acting as a replacement for PS consoles PS deserves to implode in itself. Steamdeck has essentially replace Xbox consoles for me the rumor of Xbox making a handheld is redundant if they’re games are day 1 PC
Lies, PS5 launch aligned has more hardware sales than PS ever had. There are more games being sold for PS than ever for any console in gaming history. PS5 has the biggest average of games sold per console. PS has the biggest active user base any console brand ever had. PS game subs are making more money than ever. Sony is making more revenue than any console maker ever did, and making more profit than Sony ever did.

PS is not losing sales, they are growing in sales and achieving all time records in console hardware, games sold, active userbase and subscriptions.

And some of these new fans must come from PC. And seeing that PS market share is growing and the Nintendo and Xbox ones are decreasing, from Nintendo and Xbox too.

Also for your reading pleasure:
20231220-084750.jpg

X-Men will be day and date.
That image says the opposite: "in the first year after its PlayStation console release". Meaning the console release isn't the same as the PC one.

They don't mention any change compared to the Spider-Man games, which are released years later in PC, so pretty likely will also be the same for the Wolverine/X-Men games.

Could Sony release only on PS5 and still sell 6M in the first year? Maybe, but you're grasping at straws to make that conclusion from the text.

As a PS5 only game, Spider-Man 2 sold over 5M in 11 days, to sell 6M in a year only in PS is very doable by their future Spider-Man/Wolverine/X-Men games.

Specially considering that they will release with a PS5 userbase way bigger than the one Spider-Man 2 had when released.

Wouldnt Fy 2025 be from April 2025 to March 2026?
Each company names their FY as they consider. Some companies choose the year where the FY starts, other ones where it ends, but I'd say normally they choose the year where most of that FY takes part.

In case of Sony they use the year where the FY starts and where 3/4 of it takes place. So in that case, they choose FY2025 for the April 2025-March 2026 one.

For Sony we're now in FY2023 Q4, and in a couple days they'll show the results of their FY2023 Q3.

Last edited:

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This table is wrong, Spider-Man, Uncharted 4, Uncharted: Lost Legacy and TLOU1 released years before in PS, PS users have been playing these games for years before they were released in PC.
That chart is correct. It's account for specific releases, not the original releases of those games. You may disagree, but the chart is correct.

ps5 is a pc
And your trolling is getting old. We get it, port beggar. Also, just because a PS5 or an Xbox are x86-64 doesn't mean they are personal computers. But you know that, you just want to troll.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
That image says the opposite: "in the first year after its PlayStation console release". Meaning the console release isn't the same as the PC one.

They don't mention any change compared to the Spider-Man games, which are released years later in PC, so pretty likely will also be the same for the Wolverine/X-Men games.
The way I read it is that Marvel is supportive of any PC release at any time. It could be day and date or not. But Insomniac has to sell 6M in the first year or there are significant consequences for the ongoing partnership. The game could underperform even with day 1 PC and the consequences would apply.

24 Jun 2022
PS is slowly pushing me to migrate to PC fully, SM2 should release in early 2024 bugs & missing features rushing games cause either PS don’t have enough studios (in that case buy publishers to bolster 1st party) & or Insomniac & PS focus on the PC port is completely bs & should deserve more scrutiny.

It’s insane that Xbox imploded in itself due to PC focus & day 1 gamepass & PS like yuh let’s follow suit, sometime PS be making the dumbest decisions following 3rd place when they should be following 1st place & that’s Nintendo. Nintendo just double down on console & the importance of exclusive games to consoles not “timed exclusive” like PS games are now

If I have time, I'm gonna talk a lot more about this in another OP this weekend. Mainly focused on why Sony should be shifting their focus to better compete with Nintendo & PC (Steam), and what things they can take from them to implement and improve upon with PlayStation.

And balancing that out with their ecosystem growth ambitions on platforms like PC and mobile, without compromising the value of the console. Because it's a very slippery slope and I don't want Sony to fall into the same traps Microsoft have, in devaluing and stripping away identity of their own console hardware just to pursue a share on other platforms (that Sony have no ownership or vested interests in beyond the ported software itself).

Also thinking about doing something for Nintendo, even tho I don't talk about them as much. But I think there are some interesting prospects for growing their own brand in the future, too.

The way I read it is that Marvel is supportive of any PC release at any time. It could be day and date or not. But Insomniac has to sell 6M in the first year or there are significant consequences for the ongoing partnership. The game could underperform even with day 1 PC and the consequences would apply.

Are you seriously trying to argue that an X-MEN game, from arguably the premier studio for superhero games this decade, won't do 6 million on a PS5 install base of some 80+ million by the time it releases (in 2026) in a year, when Spiderman 2 did almost that much in a single week on an install base of less than 50 million?

This is actually worst than most of the drivel I've seen coming from Xbox console warriors the past week, which is crazy considering what they're dealing with. Maybe Valve actually has the most toxic fanboy trolling community 🤔

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Neversummer

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You have to consider that pretty likely this deal for several X-Men games was signed after the huge success of Spider-Man 1, maybe around 2020.

They were planning to release several games until 2035 (unless it gets extended, which I assume they will extend it due to the success of the games), but planning in such long term they can't go into detail because when doing so they don't know how the market is going to evolve.

Back then Sony was still starting to work on their PC ports and had to make many tests regarging timing or pricing of the ports, games to be ported, etc. Something that kept evolving and pretty likely will continue evolving. As an example, in the future Sony will sell PS5 games to be also played in the cloud.

But they had something for sure, that at launch the games will be released on PlayStation and that at some point the games will be released in PC too even if the distance may vary per game.

And as I mentioned, to sell 6M in PS only on its first year it's something very easy to achieve for Sony AAA games, specially the ones with big Marvel brands like the ones related to Spider-Man and X-Men.

If I have time, I'm gonna talk a lot more about this in another OP this weekend. Mainly focused on why Sony should be shifting their focus to better compete with Nintendo & PC (Steam), and what things they can take from them to implement and improve upon with PlayStation.

And balancing that out with their ecosystem growth ambitions on platforms like PC and mobile, without compromising the value of the console. Because it's a very slippery slope and I don't want Sony to fall into the same traps Microsoft have, in devaluing and stripping away identity of their own console hardware just to pursue a share on other platforms (that Sony have no ownership or vested interests in beyond the ported software itself).

Also thinking about doing something for Nintendo, even tho I don't talk about them as much. But I think there are some interesting prospects for growing their own brand in the future, too.
I think Sony's current focus is the best one to balance it:
  • PS is the only place where all their (non-mobile) games get released day one, PS continues as their main business and focus
  • Some (not all) SP games get released on PC, 2 or more years after its original release (counting that a remaster or remake isn't the original release of a game)
  • Some (not all) MP/GaaS games get released on PC, in some cases day one
  • In the future some (not all) MP/GaaS games get also released on mobile, in some cases day one, or if they are mainly a mobile game may even first release on mobile to do some tests, rebalancing and polish before the console release (think Genshin Impact)
  • There may even be mobile specific games that wouldn't be released on console due to being mobile specific genres that would depend on touch screen/mouse controls, or because they would be highly modified and simplified versions of console games adapted to mobile (think some Asphalt/CSR-like mobile game using the Gran Turismo brand, as a random guess).
  • All their SP teams keep focused on PS only. Separate specific teams handle the PC or mobile, for games that would get ported (not all of them). Separate specific teams handle mobile specific games. Separate specific teams handle MP/GaaS teams, in this case some of them.
  • Acquired multiplatform 3rd party publishers would continue releasing at least some of their games day one everywhere to also get money from rival consoles without using the PS Studios brand to do so.
  • In addition to get new fans, more users, revenue and profit from non-PS gaming platforms, use these Sony IPs in cinema, tv shows, anime and theme park rides plus other markets (I'd add there in the future comics, books, toys, figurines, board games, trading card games, books, clothing).

Last edited:

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023

That would be a good thread, also going thru Xbox mistakes & downfall as lessons to stay away. Also how PC is a competitor & how Steam & the Steamdeck is acting as a replacement console for platform that releases games on PC.

Live service shooters like Helldivers2, Fairgames & Concord should be PS & PC & mobile games or more arcade live service games like GT7, PS Allstars 2, LBP4 or more niche smaller live service game should be PS & Mobile maybe PC at a later date, PS should make it like this that way PC players don’t think all live service releases on PC no longer needing a PS console & if you want to play anything PS live service PS console is the best place to play if you don’t want to miss out on games. Just like Nintendo own Pokémon Unite live service game launch on Switch & Mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: J_Paganel
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Are you seriously trying to argue that an X-MEN game, from arguably the premier studio for superhero games this decade, won't do 6 million on a PS5 install base of some 80+ million by the time it releases (in 2026) in a year, when Spiderman 2 did almost that much in a single week on an install base of less than 50 million?

This is actually worst than most of the drivel I've seen coming from Xbox console warriors the past week, which is crazy considering what they're dealing with. Maybe Valve actually has the most toxic fanboy trolling community 🤔
It'll do 10 mil and more easily.