Lego Horizon Adventures Announced | Summer Game Fest | PS5/Switch/Steam/EGS

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The japanese clowns destroyed the PlayStation brand in Japan and North America, wiped out PS1 and PS2 profits and lost 60 million gamers to Xbox 360.

Kutaragi wasn't even the CEO when the PS2 was developed. The PS3 was 100% his baby, though.

SCEE, led by Jim Ryan, saved PlayStation and Sony. The PS3 outsold the Wii, while the PS4 mopped the floor with NSW in EMEA.

100m PS3&PS4s sold in EMEA, while Tretton and SCEA got spanked by Xbox in North America and Playstation hit rock bottom in Japan.

Jim Ryan left the PS5 tracking ahead of the PS3 and PS4 in Japan, and dominating North America for the first time in 20 years. And finished Xbox after $80 billion and a pandemic that destroyed SIE supply chain.

Nowdays, a new generation of japanese clowns are in charge and PS5 sales in Europe are teetering on the brink of collapse because profit margin is the only thing that matters.

I still want to believe in Nishino, but Totoki is the worst thing that has happened to PlayStation since Kutaragi was appointed as CEO.
Before becoming co-CEO Nishino did a great job:
  • Highly improved their game subs with the new PS Plus
  • Highly improved their cloud gaming (now 4K 60fps + HDR and 3D audio)
  • Highly improved the accesories (PSVR2, PS Portal, headsets, accesibility controller etc)
  • Hardware, game subs, accesories are making more money than ever
He will continue in charge of these areas, and now will also be in charge of (non-game related) marketing and 3rd party relations. Areas which I assume will continue being handled the same people they had before. So I wouldn't expect any meaningful change there.

In the 1st party games, I think Hermen will also continue doing what he did before, but now having Bungie and the non-gaming adaptations under him. I think their strategy won't change there. I think they'll continue growing everywhere with the goal of making their big 1st party games more sustainable and less risky.

• brain
Reactions: 2spooky5me

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I think the main reason for EU not upgrading from PS4 to PS5 faster is because the economy is fucked for a lot of people. People here even supported hard the $599 PS3 and PS Vita. So if they could they'd do it with PS5.

Make sure current gen only GTA6, EA FC, CoD, NBA2K, AC, NFS and more mainline tentpole entries of Sony blockbuster IPs will help to make people transition, but I'd say there's enough great current gen only games to make people upgrade. I'd say if they don't buy it is due to lack of money.

1. They're still buying PS5s, just not enough to keep up with PS4s
2. They're still actively buying games on PS4

Somehow people really struggle to understand things in the margins. Price is certainly a factor, but the reason to upgrade is the biggest factor. Somehow we're pretending like PS5 isn't selling at all in Europe when that couldn't be further from the truth.

We'll see how well PS5 sells this year and how they launch the PS5 Pro, but my guess is they're looking to keep the price of the PS5 where it is until after GTA6 releases, so they get billions more dollars in revenue on a game they know is going to push units globally.

I think PS5 Pro lanches at 600 USD and they keep the price of the PS5 where it is for now.

This would put a major price drop (not including promotions) around CY Q12026 or more likely Q2/Q3 depending on the legs of GTA6.

We're probably looking at the difference of 3 billion dollars if Sony waits to cut the price of the PS5 by another year and a half. They could come close to buying Kadokawa with that, which they know would help them considerably in the PC space.

So what does waiting on a price drop do? It means slower sales for this year, which isn't the biggest deal, especially if the PS5 Pro moves units at that higher price point.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Before becoming co-CEO Nishino did a great job:
  • Highly improved their game subs with the new PS Plus
  • Highly improved their cloud gaming (now 4K 60fps + HDR and 3D audio)
  • Highly improved the accesories (PSVR2, PS Portal, headsets, accesibility controller etc)
  • Hardware, game subs, accesories are making more money than ever
He will continue in charge of these areas, and now will also be in charge of (non-game related) marketing and 3rd party relations. Areas which I assume will continue being handled the same people they had before. So I wouldn't expect any meaningful change there.

In the 1st party games, I think Hermen will also continue doing what he did before, but now having Bungie and the non-gaming adaptations under him. I think their strategy won't change there. I think they'll continue growing everywhere with the goal of making their big 1st party games more sustainable and less risky.

Herman has done some really special things.

• He has to get some credit for Helldivers 2
  • His relationship with Kojima
  • Bringing in Lego
  • The success Sony has seen as a PC publisher
  • Even what they're doing with Astrobot and Tomba

The way they're priming Sony IP is really impressive and something they should have done decades ago.

I could totally see Lego Horizon Adventure leading to Lego Marvel's Spider-Man again on PS5, Switch, and PC. A game that would sell 10s of millions of units. This could lead to Lego Marvel's X-Men.

This is all the type of stuff that leads you to high margins and low risk, but also expands audiences.

It does lead me to believe a PS handheld is further out than imagined though, but guess what, I bet this game will also require a PlayStation Network login, maybe even on Switch.

I could also see Astrobot ported over to Switch or Switch 2 at some point, maybe with reduced functionality.

And even releasing the Marvel's Spider-Man remastered on Switch would probably help boost the margin on that game. I don't think you can look at Hogwarts Legacy and the success it has had and not want to be on PC and handheld.

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
They just added tons of PSVR games and PS2 classics after people were asking for months and years?
Yeah but I'm talking about the catalog of games. But let's see what they include this month as last month was beyond terrible

SuperDuper

Chief Troll Officer
Moderating
16 Jun 2022

• Bringing in Lego

The way they're priming Sony IP is really impressive and something they should have done decades ago.

I could totally see Lego Horizon Adventure leading to Lego Marvel's Spider-Man again on PS5, Switch, and PC. A game that would sell 10s of millions of units. This could lead to Lego Marvel's X-Men.

This is all the type of stuff that leads you to high margins and low risk, but also expands audiences.

It does lead me to believe a PS handheld is further out than imagined though, but guess what, I bet this game will also require a PlayStation Network login, maybe even on Switch.

I could also see Astrobot ported over to Switch or Switch 2 at some point, maybe with reduced functionality.

And even releasing the Marvel's Spider-Man remastered on Switch would probably help boost the margin on that game. I don't think you can look at Hogwarts Legacy and the success it has had and not want to be on PC and handheld.
As long as we are talking about interaction with other IPs (like LEGO) I am ok with it and I agree with your point.

Publishing the main active IP (Spiderman, Horizon, GOW, R&C, Sackboy, Astrobot, etc) on PC and Switch would be a REALLY bad move. PC is happening with a 2 to 3 years delay, but the PC is not a direct competitor to the PlayStation. Switch instead is a direct competitor.

Reactions: FatKaz

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Before I sell my PS5 on eBay anyone want to buy it? I’m done with PlayStation.
I am going to miss you @Puff :cry:

If you are upgrading to a PS5 pro and still going, give me a shout, WTB at a special friend reduced option price.

Celebrate Rest In Peace GIF by Jason Clarke

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Highly improved their game subs with the new PS Plus

By raising the price and artificially increasing the sub numbers with PC Helldivers 2?

Highly improved their cloud gaming (now 4K 60fps + HDR and 3D audio)

You do realise Sony rents Microsoft Azure Cloud servers?

Highly improved the accesories (PSVR2, PS Portal, headsets, accesibility controller etc)

The PSVR2 flopped hard and Sony has already given up on it

Reactions: Nomen_Nescio

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
By raising the price and artificially increasing the sub numbers with PC Helldivers 2?
By improving the PS Now catalog with more, better and newer games, adding a PS Now tier without cloud gaming, merging it with PS Plus, adding better games and a better UI.

Plus adding PSP and PS5 games, and in cloud gaming to support 4K, 60fps, HDR and 60fps, better image quality and shorter input lag.

It's laughable to consider than to release another MP game is "artificially increase the sub numbers".

You do realise Sony rents Microsoft Azure Cloud servers?
Not true. They don't, you have no idea what you are talking about.

PS Now uses propietary Sony servers that are modified PS3 hardware (for PS3 games), modified PS4 hardware (for PS4 games) and modified PS5 hardware (for PS5 games). Azure/MS can't build these servers.

Both this hardware and the many related techniques and optimizations that Sony uses for cloud gaming are patented by Sony. Sony uses their own stuff and MS pays Sony to use an inferior copy of these patents.

PS+ has been in the gutter when it comes to its library soooo 🤔
Not true. Seems you have no idea about its catalog, I suggest you to get it or at least to go to its website to see the games it has.

The PSVR2 flopped hard and Sony has already given up on it
Not true. The only factual data we have is that it performed a bit better than PSVR1 (matching Sony's goal) on its first months and months after that that Sony was happy with its performance. Nobody expected it to become mainstream or something like that.

We also know that contributed to get record accesory revenue numbers and that promoted they guy in charge of it to co-CEO.

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperDuper

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Everything but Xbox is so funny.
Take note: the ones crying about the absence of an xbox port are the same assholes who cheered when certain indie games were released everywhere except Playstation.

So yeah, fuck them. "Wait for gamepass".

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
How many of you actually care about this Lego kids stuff?

😂🤣😂🤣

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

• Bringing in Lego

Yes, he got promoted to co-CEO because did a great job:
  • Highly grew the 1st party manpower expanding their teams, creating new ones and acquiring others with top tier pedigree
  • Broke sales records with first party games released in 2020, 2022, 2023, 2024
  • Got successful expanding to GaaS with MLB, GT, Destiny, Helldivers
  • First party games released this period earned a lot of awards and nominations
  • Kept improving the off console revenue with a huge growth to the point is generating around $700M and growing super fast and becoming one of the top PC publishers
  • The adaptations of PS Studios IPs to cinema or tv shows got very successful
Regarding potential future Lego adaptations, I think Lego Spider-Man and Lego X-Men would be super successful, but I'd say that before them Sony has to deliver the other Marvel stuff they already have signed for the current batch (Venom, Spider-Man 3, Wolverine, X-Men) and a few Lego adaptations out of the many ones they can make of their other top Sony IPs, as could be Lego Gran Turismo, Lego Uncharted, Lego God of War, Lego Ghost of Tsushima, Lego Destiny, Lego Helldivers, Lego The Last of Us.

Regarding Switch, I'd keep it only for MLB and Lego. I wouldn't put there Ratchet and Astro. But I understand that since platfmers don't have great sales in PS they may want to port them there because in Switch 3D action platformers work better.

But I never would port any SP blockbuster game like Spider-Man to Switch.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
1. They're still buying PS5s, just not enough to keep up with PS4s
2. They're still actively buying games on PS4

Somehow people really struggle to understand things in the margins. Price is certainly a factor, but the reason to upgrade is the biggest factor. Somehow we're pretending like PS5 isn't selling at all in Europe when that couldn't be further from the truth.

We'll see how well PS5 sells this year and how they launch the PS5 Pro, but my guess is they're looking to keep the price of the PS5 where it is until after GTA6 releases, so they get billions more dollars in revenue on a game they know is going to push units globally.

I think PS5 Pro lanches at 600 USD and they keep the price of the PS5 where it is for now.

This would put a major price drop (not including promotions) around CY Q12026 or more likely Q2/Q3 depending on the legs of GTA6.

We're probably looking at the difference of 3 billion dollars if Sony waits to cut the price of the PS5 by another year and a half. They could come close to buying Kadokawa with that, which they know would help them considerably in the PC space.

So what does waiting on a price drop do? It means slower sales for this year, which isn't the biggest deal, especially if the PS5 Pro moves units at that higher price point.
Yes, EU is buying many PS5s but not as fast as PS4 launch aligned. Because more expensive and it had a price increase instead of price drop and the many reasons I explained, mostly fucked economy and people still engaged with PS4 in the most played IPs.

Sony is now in a process of improving their profitability, cutting costs and increasing revenue to make room for future growth. They are still paying costs related to previous acquisitions, I assume that as they said they'll wait for a while until they acquire again because before that they'll prefer to complete these payments related to previous acquisitions (retention bonuses, growing their teams, paying new offices, etc) and also to get the money they'll receive late next year selling their banks division.

Regarding the PS5 price yes they'd need to price cut it but they have a profitability issue with it because unlike in all the previous generations the components and shipping costs didn't decrease over time, but instead they highly increased and there's a huge inflation. So they are selling it at a loss and there isn't room to price cut it. Before considering a price cut they have to figure out a way to drastically reduce these components and shipping costs.

Something like manufacturing them closer to where they are mostly sold (NA and EU), reengineer it in a way that uses less and cheaper stuff and to do something with their components providers. Plus to do something else to make them more profitable, maybe something like adding some different stuff to PS+ that makes it more appealing to a new audience (Crunchyroll, Netflix, Spotify...), so they can grow the amount of subscribers. Meaning, to further increase the money spent per PS5 user so they get more profit that compensates the loss from selling the hardware.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Not true. The only factual data we have is that it performed a bit better than PSVR1 (matching Sony's goal) on its first months and months after that that Sony was happy with its performance. Nobody expected it to become mainstream or something like that.

We also know that contributed to get record accesory revenue numbers and that promoted they guy in charge of it to co-CEO.

If it was a success why did Sony stop supporting it so early? Are you also going to pretend the Vita was a success?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If it was a success why did Sony stop supporting it so early? Are you also going to pretend the Vita was a success?
Sony did stop supporting it in your fantasy imaginary world. They keep releasing and announcing games for it. There are over 280 games so far.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Darth Vader

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Anyone who says this isn't a first party game is coping

- co developed by a first party studio
- first party IP
- Published by SIE

Some of you guys are extremely disingenuous.