Linus tech Tips and his hot take on bldg a PC that can compare to a PS5 for $500 (hint it's bs :)

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
The A770 is a hell of a value card. Personally I wouldn't want a chassis that massive for free. My last 3 desktops have been Mini-ITX.

The custom-built PC doesn't have to match dollar for dollar with Playstation to be a great value. You save $80/yr on multiplayer subs right away. You'll save hundreds easily on game costs over the life of the system. You're not forced to buy 2-4 new gamepads every generation, you can use any gamepad you want. At some point the parts will be too old for gaming, but the hardware will still be useful.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Console for newest AAA
Pc for everything else.

You can build a 1080p@60fps PC for cheap, designed to play those thousands of games you've missed that aren't cutting edge.

For exclusives (memba them? I memba) and the cutting edge AAA games buy a console. Bosch, done.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
The A770 is a hell of a value card. Personally I wouldn't want a chassis that massive for free. My last 3 desktops have been Mini-ITX.

The custom-built PC doesn't have to match dollar for dollar with Playstation to be a great value. You save $80/yr on multiplayer subs right away. You'll save hundreds easily on game costs over the life of the system. You're not forced to buy 2-4 new gamepads every generation, you can use any gamepad you want. At some point the parts will be too old for gaming, but the hardware will still be useful.
Yeah these comparisons are pointless. You are much better off with a console than a ultra-budget PC, unless you must have a machine to game and work on.

Reactions: Box and PlacidusaX

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Yeah these comparisons are pointless. You are much better off with a console than a ultra-budget PC, unless you must have a machine to game and work on.
I can build a PC with all new parts that will outperform the PS5 for $850. It also has a nicer, smaller chassis:

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I can build a PC with all new parts that will outperform the PS5 for $850. It also has a nicer, smaller chassis:
Wtf is wrong with you, dude? There are a billion different PC cases you could have used, but you went with the one that looks like a series S.

season 1 smile GIF

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

Chapters:
0:00 Intro
1:30 The CPU
2:30 The Motherboard
4:30 Storage
5:03 Storm Trooper
6:05 PSU and GPU
7:40 Doom Eternal
10:00 The Problem with HDR
11:50 Death Stranding
13:30 Ratchet and Clank
14:30 God of War
15:45: Buyer Protection
17:25 The Last of Us
19:00 The Final Comparison
20:35 Outro
Right, since he is going all second-hand parts, I thought I would visit eBay for a second-hand PlayStation 5.

He did say apples to apples in his video.

276 bucks.

Also, he did not include a controller or mouse, mouse pad and keyboard in his price, as he said you should have them lying about, his attempts to make it even cheaper than what it actually is.

How much would those 4 things costs you, another 75 bucks maybe? So he is basically getting close to 600 bucks, and the majority of it is second-hand.

I know @Lord Mittens has a second-hand, well-used underwear fetish, but for me personally, it's not my scene, talking electronics here.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Right, since he is going all second-hand parts, I thought I would visit eBay for a second-hand PlayStation 5.

He did say apples to apples in his video.

276 bucks.

Also, he did not include a controller or mouse, mouse pad and keyboard in his price, as he said you should have them lying about, his attempts to make it even cheaper than what it actually is.

How much would those 4 things costs you, another 75 bucks maybe? So he is basically getting close to 600 bucks, and the majority of it is second-hand.

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Reactions: Bo_Hazem and Sircaw

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Lmao recommending an arc GPU

Get ready to not play any games day 1

Also I hate this narrative. Wht recommend building a pc just to barely match (and actually perform worse than) a PS5? All these value cards are oriented towards 1080p, we already see that PS5 is oriented towards 4k where these cards with limited memory buses and memory capacities struggle.

If you want to build a pc do it properly and invest at least $1200-1500 to get a mid/upper mid range rig. There's no point to pc gaming at console quality.