Linus tech Tips and his hot take on bldg a PC that can compare to a PS5 for $500 (hint it's bs :)

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Gaming on PC since 90s, built multiple gaming PCs during that time to myself and friends and family.

But work all day on PC, I don't even want to see a computer after I leave my home office.

I just want to pick up that controller, sit on my couch, start gaming hassle free on my 77 Oled and sounds through my surround system.

Cost isn't the issue for me, more like time and convenience.

Yup, gaming PC is also more prone to problems and needs upgrading because games get more demanding every year. Every year i have some issue on my PC that is a pain to ass to deal with.

On a console all you have to do is turn on the thing and sit on the couch.

Reactions: PropellerEar

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Nice strawman. Where did I say my PS5 was special? I never stated that. I simply stated your comparison is stupid because a PC and a console fit different purposes. A PC is primarily a productivity and media consumption machine, a PS5 is primarily a gaming machine. You cannot use those statements because they are wrong.
You're comparing the luxury comfort of an Audi with the workmanlike F150, but it's a twisted analogy. The PC is both the workman and the luxury, and the console is the most mundane thing on earth.

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
They're comparing the 6600XT to the PS5 which is egregious. The PS5 uses the equivalent of a RX6700 which is around 20% faster than the 6600XT.
Not to mention the much larger pool of framebuffer memory available on the PS5 as the 6600XT is also strangled by only 8GB VRAM and a narrow PCIe bus.

Everything about this video is wrong.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Oct 2022
I got this last summer for ~1000. 1440p 144hz display. Ryzen 9, 3060, really not shit.

You got ripped off

PlacidusaX

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Oct 2022
You're comparing the luxury comfort of an Audi with the workmanlike F150, but it's a twisted analogy. The PC is both the workman and the luxury, and the console is the most mundane thing on earth.
IF you spend many times the price of the PS5.

PS5 many times cheaper is still better in many ways.

Reactions: Umar

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
Rift apart boots up faster on ps5 and he ends running into issues when booting it up on Pc and doesnt even look better than the ps5 version nor does the Tlou remake. They cheaped out even more and still failed. You can find a used Ps5 these days for lower and 400 and 300.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Rift apart boots up faster on ps5 and he ends running into issues when booting it up on Pc and doesnt even look better than the ps5 version nor does the Tlou remake. They cheaped out even more and still failed. You can find a used Ps5 these days for lower and 400 and 300.
Absolutely correct.

Reactions: Umar
24 Jun 2022
Yeah it's BS. I did a hypothetical parts shopping for a PS5-equivalent PC and the cheapest you can get is probably ~ $780. Which is obviously more than PS5's $499.

However, you can theoretically pay less in the long run if you were also subscribing to PS+ for the entire 7 or so years of a console gen primarily for online play, whereas online play is free for PC. Because at that point you're looking at $499 PS5 (disc edition) + ~ $350 (PS+ Essentials for 7 years, assuming you could get a deal of $50/year and this was before the price increase), or $849 when all's said and done. That's about $70 more than a PC equivalent PS5 would run you for.

That's actually how Linus should've looked at doing the comparison, not with the way this video did. But even for that comparable hypothetical build, I had to search on a deal for a couple of the parts, meaning the common price for said parts is a bit higher. Also had to go for the cheapest possible casing. Honestly I'd say you should probably spend at least another $50 for a more robust casing, KB&M...and maybe for a slightly better GPU another ~ $50 on top of that, but you're still within spitting distance of what an actual PS5 with 7 years worth of PS+ Essentials (on a really good deal) would net you.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Yup, gaming PC is also more prone to problems and needs upgrading because games get more demanding every year. Every year i have some issue on my PC that is a pain to ass to deal with.

On a console all you have to do is turn on the thing and sit on the couch.
The gaming pc isn't prone to more problems because games get more demanding, it's because driver and windows updates break shit all the time, also devs don't bother fixing pc releases until months after launch

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The gaming pc isn't prone to more problems because games get more demanding, it's because driver and windows updates break shit all the time, also devs don't bother fixing pc releases until months after launch
To be fair the drivers and windows issues is really hard to mitigate because there zillions of hardware configuration so nVidia/AMD/Intel (drivers) and Microsoft (Windows) can't magically tests all these hardware combination to fix things.

It is a trade to be fair..
There is a lot of advantages on PC model but that specific case it is really a weakness.... abstractions layers that should work across several parts of hardware you will never test is really hard.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
To be fair the drivers and windows issues is really hard to mitigate because there zillions of hardware configuration so nVidia/AMD/Intel (drivers) and Microsoft (Windows) can't magically tests all these hardware combination to fix things.
I know. I'm just saying it's not the games magically getting harder to run

Reactions: ethomaz
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
This 💯

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Linus has low integrity and I cant believe people fell for that click bait, not watching, I know its bullshit.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Oct 2022

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Throwing a good deal for those who are trying to build in 2024 and save money.

Great deal. Really great deal. I'm tempted to build a new rig just seeing that, but I'll hold off.

Reactions: PlacidusaX

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Throwing a good deal for those who are trying to build in 2024 and save money.

Great deal. Really great deal. I'm tempted to build a new rig just seeing that, but I'll hold off.
Micro center always has amazing deals, but you have to live near by one. It’s worth the commute though even if it’s 3-4 hours drive.

Reactions: PlacidusaX