Linus tech Tips and his hot take on bldg a PC that can compare to a PS5 for $500 (hint it's bs :)

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
At least he acknowledges that PS5s configuration won’t be a reality for parity in PC parts for at least a year or two towards the end.
I honestly don't believe PCs are going to be able to reliably hit the PS5's price/perf parity because Dennard scaling is pretty much not a thing any more. Look how little performance was gained going from the 2060 Super to the 3060 to the 4060. And each generation increased in price. The smaller nodes are getting exponentially more expensive for less and less impressive increases in performance per area.

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
Yo you PC guys are embracing. Insecure as hell.
The SSD I/O system alreafy hurt your feelings. Some of y'all still battling that lost battle.

The 5pro gonna really hurt your feelings. Most of us are gonna trade in our 5's and pay 2/300. And have a ridiculous bang for buck tech wise.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Yo you PC guys are embracing. Insecure as hell.
The SSD I/O system alreafy hurt your feelings. Some of y'all still battling that lost battle.

The 5pro gonna really hurt your feelings. Most of us are gonna trade in our 5's and pay 2/300. And have a ridiculous bang for buck tech wise.
Clap Hug GIF by European Athletics

Picture of Pc boys @flaccidsnake and @Nhomnhom embracing.

• Shake
Reactions: anonpuffs
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
The reason people go for consoles is because they dont have to deal with the hassle of building a PC. But Linus is too rich and entitled to think about that i guess.
Not just tht. No one has time once the PC is built to mess around with different settings just to get the game to work at an optimal level or any other stable level at all. Even steamdeck has had ppl complain about that.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I honestly don't believe PCs are going to be able to reliably hit the PS5's price/perf parity because Dennard scaling is pretty much not a thing any more. Look how little performance was gained going from the 2060 Super to the 3060 to the 4060. And each generation increased in price. The smaller nodes are getting exponentially more expensive for less and less impressive increases in performance per area.
Hiroki Totoki explained in some detail how this is affecting PS5's production as well. He said Sony's "greatest challenge" is balancing the need to sell consoles with the new to grow profits. These consoles are PCs.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
That PC is better than a PS5 in raw specs and of course the flexibility a PC can only provide. But PS5 and series X are good value this generation specially with BC vs the anemic PS4 and Xbone, which could be beaten even before release.

We might see true cheap console killers with new parts only closer to the tail end of the generation. The low end GPU market is in dire need of a price/performance shakeup.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
That PC is better than a PS5 in raw specs and of course the flexibility a PC can only provide. But PS5 and series X are good value this generation specially with BC vs the anemic PS4 and Xbone, which could be beaten even before release.

We might see true cheap console killers with new parts only closer to the tail end of the generation. The low end GPU market is in dire need of a price/performance shakeup.
Yeah, it is unreasonable to expect custom builds from individual components to match a single SOC mass produced console on cost. it's crazy that we can get so close. Even if it was cheaper, building a PC is always going to be for a minority of geeks.

I'm excited to see more PC designs like this:
BcM8cj3x2PZWrgvXfMuV9Z-1200-80.jpg.webp

7Pw5y5cgUiesup39yhR3ng-1200-80.jpg.webp

This has a 3070 and an i7 inside. It came out in 11/2022 from a boutique vendor (similar to Aya on handhelds) for $1300. If a bigger OEM like ASUS or HP made something like this, adapting laptop components for a console-sized set top box, I'm sure they could sell it for well under $1000 and offer very competitive value with consoles.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I got this last summer for ~1000. 1440p 144hz display. Ryzen 9, 3060, really not shit.

6eab27e2d13b5b5b085e790f818ddc702fe33ab1aba89d2fb064f15a5e01af4f_1.jpg

• haha
Reactions: Umar

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Lmao recommending an arc GPU

Get ready to not play any games day 1

Also I hate this narrative. Wht recommend building a pc just to barely match (and actually perform worse than) a PS5? All these value cards are oriented towards 1080p, we already see that PS5 is oriented towards 4k where these cards with limited memory buses and memory capacities struggle.

If you want to build a pc do it properly and invest at least $1200-1500 to get a mid/upper mid range rig. There's no point to pc gaming at console quality.
Exactly....build/buy a proper PC or don't bother.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Exactly....build/buy a proper PC or don't bother.
Yo, YOU are a PC Master Race elitist. I don't think that's the path to success. Playstation isn't bringing their games to PC for the 4090 owners. They want the big audience of 3060 and 1650 shaolin warriors.

Screenshot-2024-03-01-at-10-42-31-AM.png

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Yo, YOU are a PC Master Race elitist. I don't think that's the path to success. Playstation isn't bringing their games to PC for the 4090 owners. They want the big audience of 3060 and 1650 shaolin warriors.

Screenshot-2024-03-01-at-10-42-31-AM.png
Uh I didn't say there's anything wrong with 3060 or 1650. I meant build properly as in not getting stuff that Linus showed in the video, like an old cheap dusty dirty case that probably smells like ass. Stuff like that is not worth saving a few dollars.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Uh I didn't say there's anything wrong with 3060 or 1650. I meant build properly as in not getting stuff that Linus showed in the video, like an old cheap dusty dirty case that probably smells like ass. Stuff like that is not worth saving a few dollars.
I agree with this, and it's why I don't count the cost against PC. You see what you get for $800. You see what you get for $1000. Paying $1000 is usually an easy call. It's obvious that a PC is way more valuable than a console if they're equivalent in gaming performance.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I agree with this, and it's why I don't count the cost against PC. You see what you get for $800. You see what you get for $1000. Paying $1000 is usually an easy call. It's obvious that a PC is way more valuable than a console if they're equivalent in gaming performance.

A console is a machine to play games. A PC can do a whole other range of things. You can't even compare them, It's like comparing an Audi A6 with a Ford F150 and say the F150 is more valuable if they're equivalent in rim size.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
A console is a machine to play games. A PC can do a whole other range of things. You can't even compare them, It's like comparing an Audi A6 with a Ford F150 and say the F150 is more valuable if they're equivalent in rim size.
It's like saying a toyota corolla is equivalent to an F150 if they have the same number of seats. Consoles are not luxury items. They're mass market as fuck. They're 0 margin. Your PS5 is not special. I've got the same one.

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The reason people go for consoles is because they dont have to deal with the hassle of building a PC. But Linus is too rich and entitled to think about that i guess.
Gaming on PC since 90s, built multiple gaming PCs during that time to myself and friends and family.

But work all day on PC, I don't even want to see a computer after I leave my home office.

I just want to pick up that controller, sit on my couch, start gaming hassle free on my 77 Oled and sounds through my surround system.

Cost isn't the issue for me, more like time and convenience.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's like saying a toyota corolla is equivalent to an F150 if they have the same number of seats. Consoles are not luxury items. They're mass market as fuck. They're 0 margin. Your PS5 is not special. I've got the same one.
Nice strawman. Where did I say my PS5 was special? I never stated that. I simply stated your comparison is stupid because a PC and a console fit different purposes. A PC is primarily a productivity and media consumption machine, a PS5 is primarily a gaming machine. You cannot use those statements because they are wrong.