Message from Hideaki & Hermen - An Exciting Future at Sony Interactive Entertainment

24 Jun 2022
They have a lot more in the works. They can show Wolverine at any time they want, but they choose not to. How many other games are in that position? They're obviously waiting for a bigger show to fully display Wolverine and we already know Venom is going to come out before Wolverine.

Well the hackers on PC are doing a good job showing more of Wolverine for SIE, so an official Showcase just for that might not even be necessary 😁

Let's make it a month.

Cool then. It's a bet.

Official Showcase by end of year = 1 month ban for me.

No official Showcase by end of year = 1 month ban for you.

May the best guess win 😄

• haha
Reactions: Sircaw

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
I don't know if a showcase would happen but as a marketing person, doing one with the PS5 Pro reveal and using that as a glimpse of the next phase of PS5 with Naughty Dog, Cory Barlogs game, Ghost of Tsushima 2, Sony Bend, Wolverine etc. would make sense

Sony also needs a shot in the arm for sales momentum

However it seems like developers decide these things now so I wouldn't expect Sony marketing to do what makes sense

Reactions: mibu no ookami

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Are you able to argue without a massive strawman? I proved you wrong, take the L and move on.

Just to remind you of this (only PS studios releases. Not including games from studios that were not part of SIE)
    • Killzone: Shadow Fall
    • Knack
    • The Playroom
    • Driveclub
    • Infamous First Light
    • Infamous Second Son
    • Entwined
    • Bloodborne
    • Tearaway Unfolded
    • Ratchet & Clank
    • The Last Guardian
    • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

• Demon's Souls
    • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
    • Astro's Playroom
    • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
    • God of War Ragnarök
    • Gran Turismo 7
    • Horizon Forbidden West
    • The Last of Us Part I
    • Marvel's Spider-Man 2
The kicker is... All of the games listed between 2013 and 2016 are PS4 exclusives with the exception of Entwined. On the contrary, only Demon's Souls, Astro's Playroom, Rift Apart, Spider-Man 2, and The Last of Us Part I are PS5 exclusives. Out of all the games from the PS5 generation so far, only Demon's Souls, Astro's Playroom, Gran Turismo 7, and Spider-Man 2 have not already been ported to PC.

I didn't even include PS3 remasters for the PS4 years just to give this generation a fair chance and it still pales in comparison. 5 exclusives with 1 being a remake, and since 2020 only 4 of their exclusives have not been ported to PC. If I include "published by PS Studios" games above the last generation not only wins with a bigger margin, it absolutely destroys the current generation.

This generation has been absolute garbage and there's little incentive right now to buy a PS5.
You haven’t proved me wrong, all this shows me is that we are built differently. I don’t think live service games are bad, in fact last gen I was one of the people that wanted Sony to give it another shot. Also, PC ports, “generation exclusive” titles simply do not matter to me.

I could not with a straight face tell you that Sony hasn’t put out, and branded PS with amazing games these past 4 years. TLOU2, GoT, Returnal(goat) Horizon FW, GOWR, Spider-Man 2, Stellar Blade, Final Fantasy XVI/7R, Ratchet, GT7, ROTR, HD2…. The point im trying to get across to you is that when you subtract all of the meaningless list wars, dividing games by generation instead of by when developers can realistically drop, you still have great games being put out by SIE. When TLOU2 and GOT dropped, it was quite obvious those two developers wouldn’t come back until later in the Ps5 gen. So why act butthurt when I know those studios are cooking something even great for me to enjoy in the future?

I can respect your feelings of disappointment, you’re entitled to your opinion, but I think your beef is more so directed at the fact that games take much, much longer to come out, and that they don’t announce them several years beforehand anymore. By the end of 2016, we knew every major game Sony was cooking all the way until 2020 apart from GoT. This generation, we only have bits and scraps of confirmation, and honestly I’m fine with that. I’ll always stand by my opinion of the first half of Ps4 being Sonys worst!

24 Jun 2022
The kicker is... All of the games listed between 2013 and 2016 are PS4 exclusives with the exception of Entwined. On the contrary, only Demon's Souls, Astro's Playroom, Rift Apart, Spider-Man 2, and The Last of Us Part I are PS5 exclusives. Out of all the games from the PS5 generation so far, only Demon's Souls, Astro's Playroom, Gran Turismo 7, and Spider-Man 2 have not already been ported to PC.

And if you go by the Nvidia leak (which has been 100% accurate for SIE games), Demon's Souls is just a matter of when, not if. GT7 will also likely be getting a port, and Spiderman 2 for PC is assured.

So the only 1P exclusives from SIE still PS5-only after those games get ports, will be Astro's Playroom (basically a demo), Astro bot (a AA game), and...Destruction All-Stars (a dead GAAS).

Everything else will already either be on PC (mainly Steam), or in the case of stuff like Destiny, MLB, & Marathon, on Xbox and/or Switch (or Switch 2).

It's REALLY bad once you see it from that POV. Yet somehow Herman & Hideki think PC gamers are going to go buy PS5s to play the sequels. Now more PS-centric influencers are spouting the same talking point. We might have a Cult of Herman-Hideki forming and it'll be quite a force to behold (in a bad way).

I didn't even include PS3 remasters for the PS4 years just to give this generation a fair chance and it still pales in comparison. 5 exclusives with 1 being a remake, and since 2020 only 4 of their exclusives have not been ported to PC. If I include "published by PS Studios" games above the last generation not only wins with a bigger margin, it absolutely destroys the current generation.

This generation has been absolute garbage and there's little incentive right now to buy a PS5.

Really makes me wonder how SIE are going to sell the PS5 Pro to those PC players who will supposedly spend $599 to play a $70 sequel they can just wait 1-2 years to come to their upgraded PC for $50 (or even less).

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
You haven’t proved me wrong, all this shows me is that we are built differently. I don’t think live service games are bad, in fact last gen I was one of the people that wanted Sony to give it another shot. Also, PC ports, “generation exclusive” titles simply do not matter to me.
I didn't say live service is necessarily bad. Please stop with the strawman arguments.

I could not with a straight face tell you that Sony hasn’t put out, and branded PS with amazing games these past 4 years. TLOU2, GoT, Returnal(goat) Horizon FW, GOWR, Spider-Man 2, Stellar Blade, Final Fantasy XVI/7R, Ratchet, GT7, ROTR, HD2
If you want to count 3rd party partnerships the list is even more embarassing, so I'll fix it.

TLOU2, GoT, Returnal(goat) Horizon FW, GOWR, Spider-Man 2, Ratchet, GT7

And now I will remove the games that I can play on my PS4, considering the argument here is about the pisspoor output THIS GENERATION

Returnal(goat), Spider-Man 2, Ratchet

3 fucking games. THREE. Out of those three, TWO are on PC.

The point im trying to get across to you is that when you subtract all of the meaningless list wars, dividing games by generation instead of by when developers can realistically drop, you still have great games being put out by SIE.
My argument is that this gen has been lacking, and it has. You keep moving around the original argument I made to try and spin this around. It won't work.

So why act butthurt when I know those studios are cooking something even great for me to enjoy in the future?
Naughty Dog is very much due for a release, and we would have had a game from them if it weren't for the supposed executives fucking up.

TLOU - 2013
U4 - 2016 (+3 years)
TLOU 2 - 2020 (+4 years)

I can respect your feelings of disappointment, you’re entitled to your opinion, but I think your beef is more so directed at the fact that games take much, much longer to come out, and that they don’t announce them several years beforehand anymore.
This bullshit has to stop. TLOU2 took 4 years. Horizon Forbidden West (massive game) took less than 5 years. GOWR took 4 years. The argument that games are taking much longer is bullcrap. The only reason they take longer is related to clueless executives looking at an infinite growth target instead of looking at sensible releases. They want their cake and to eat it too. This generation is fucked already, and next generation (if it exists) will be even worse.

This generation, we only have bits and scraps of confirmation, and honestly I’m fine with that. I’ll always stand by my opinion of the first half of Ps4 being Sonys worst!
This generation they have released fewer games than last generation launch aligned. That's a fact, no matter how much you spin it, and we also know that studios like ND have had their output fucked due to a stupid live service strategy that we all could see would fail spectacularly.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Why did you list last of us part 1 but not the original last of us and its remaster?
I was listing last gen and this gen only, and I wanted to give this gen an unfair advantage. If I wanted to be fairer I wouldn't have included TLOU remake and Demon's Souls remake.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I didn't say live service is necessarily bad. Please stop with the strawman arguments.

If you want to count 3rd party partnerships the list is even more embarassing, so I'll fix it.

And now I will remove the games that I can play on my PS4, considering the argument here is about the pisspoor output THIS GENERATION

3 fucking games. THREE. Out of those three, TWO are on PC.

My argument is that this gen has been lacking, and it has. You keep moving around the original argument I made to try and spin this around. It won't work.

Naughty Dog is very much due for a release, and we would have had a game from them if it weren't for the supposed executives fucking up.

TLOU - 2013
U4 - 2016 (+3 years)
TLOU 2 - 2020 (+4 years)

This bullshit has to stop. TLOU2 took 4 years. Horizon Forbidden West (massive game) took less than 5 years. GOWR took 4 years. The argument that games are taking much longer is bullcrap. The only reason they take longer is related to clueless executives looking at an infinite growth target instead of looking at sensible releases. They want their cake and to eat it too. This generation is fucked already, and next generation (if it exists) will be even worse.

This generation they have released fewer games than last generation launch aligned. That's a fact, no matter how much you spin it, and we also know that studios like ND have had their output fucked due to a stupid live service strategy that we all could see would fail spectacularly.
Look dawg 🤣 I’m not invalidating your opinion. As I stated earlier, PC ports don’t negate the games they’ve released, nor do cross gen games. What I’m telling you is that IN MY OPINION the games have been better/on par this generation thus far. I’m stating this based of personal opinion alone. Bloodborne is my favorite game of all time, and it still doesn’t save early PS4 for me.

Not trying to push goalposts, just speaking as an actual fan of PlayStation, you can feel however you’d like to feel. I wish dev cycles weren’t this long but I’d be lying if I said that wasn’t something I admired about Sony last gen. They let ‘em cook and we were rewarded.

Reactions: mibu no ookami

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Nah, PlayStation NEVER needed a live service game....I don't know where this lie started from, but it's become generally accepted for some reason. There is no such thing as "relying on 3rd party", 3rd parties rely on PlayStation, idk how everyone seems to have forgotten that. I guess during the ABK deal, everyone was worried about CoD becoming Xbox/PC only and that nonsense was ingrained in their brains. But the concept of relying on 3rd party never had any basis in reality. The fact is they have the largest AAA gaming storefront by far with the strongest install base (Switch doesn't get most 3rd party games). When you get 30% of every other live service game, you don't need your own, that's just a fact. Apple and Google make the most money from "gaming" and don't even make games. This gaas push is purely out of greed and not necessity, they did perfectly fine last generation without a big live service game....

Jim, Hermen, and Totoki are just greedy shortsighted idiots that don't care about PlayStation and just want to squeeze as much money out of SIE as they can, no matter how much it harms PlayStation in the long run. Which explains the stupid gaas push, punching pennies on 3rd party deals, and the failed PC initiative.

I'm not against gaas where it makes sense (mlb/gt7/hd2), but Sony went about it in the worst way. They threw billions into the gaas pit overnight without a clear plan, and now the entire generation is screwed because of it. This generation would be a lot better if 75% of that live service investment instead went into single player game investment. Let 3rd party try and fail chasing GAAS ghosts.

GHW8NUeWIAAP3PL.jpg:large
It sure as hell didn't need it after they bought Bungie and and Helldivers 2 was a break out hit (a game that was in development since before this push).

It just seems like all these forced GaaS titles are going to end up being canceled or being embarassing. I have as much faith in Fairgame$ and Concord as I had in Hyenas, same energy.

They pretty much ruined their lineup for this gen with this BS.

We are at a point where they are unable to have a single AAA game announcement per year for multiple years.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Well the hackers on PC are doing a good job showing more of Wolverine for SIE, so an official Showcase just for that might not even be necessary 😁

I don't think you'd see a Wolverine showcase. A showcase would be for a whole slate of games and it'll certainly be used to promote new hardware.

The PS5 Pro launch will be a PS5 Showcase 2.0. Not only is it heavily rumored but it's highly logical.

Cool then. It's a bet.

Official Showcase by end of year = 1 month ban for me.

No official Showcase by end of year = 1 month ban for you.

May the best guess win 😄

Plotting The Simpsons GIF

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Look dawg 🤣 I’m not invalidating your opinion. As I stated earlier, PC ports don’t negate the games they’ve released, nor do cross gen games. What I’m telling you is that IN MY OPINION the games have been better/on par this generation thus far. I’m stating this based of personal opinion alone. Bloodborne is my favorite game of all time, and it still doesn’t save early PS4 for me.
And that's fine. I'm just asking that you don't move the goalpost constantly or strawman your argument just to come out on top somewhat.

Not trying to push goalposts, just speaking as an actual fan of PlayStation, you can feel however you’d like to feel. I wish dev cycles weren’t this long but I’d be lying if I said that wasn’t something I admired about Sony last gen. They let ‘em cook and we were rewarded.
And this generation they are cooking very little and living off last gen's successes. As a PS fan, I demand better, I don't make excuses for their shitty throughput.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
PC/Gaas push was the worst mistake Sony ever made. The worst Xbox fanboys cheering on this decision is proof of that.

Idk how they can say "the PlayStation community is at the heart of everything we do", while doing everything the PS community doesn't want.

Leaning on Gaz, of all people, to try to reinforce your point.
Episode 8 Nbc GIF by America's Got Talent

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Clowns like Gaz are exactly why I'm not taking that seriously.

If you want to allow them to bait you and get under your skin, be my guest. Just don't pretend you're running off anything but emotion.
The guy that cries on literally every single post is saying others shouldn’t let things get under their skin? 😂😂😂 You’ve threatened to leave the forum several times and are still here. You don’t take any anti Sony post seriously no matter how many facts are presented because you’re a corporate slave 🤡

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
The guy that cries on literally every single post is saying others shouldn’t let things get under their skin? 😂😂😂 You’ve threatened to leave the forum several times and are still here. You don’t take any anti Sony post seriously no matter how many facts are presented because you’re a corporate slave 🤡
No, I don't take your doomposting seriously because you've proven yourself an absolute clown that doubles down on things he knows nothing about no matter what's shown to you. You think you know better than actual data in front of you. You think the industry is wrapped around your preferences and whims. And anyone who disagrees and actually looks at that data is... well lookie there, a "corporate slave".

You're just a kid throwing a fit and little more.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
No, I don't take your doomposting seriously because you've proven yourself an absolute clown that doubles down on things he knows nothing about no matter what's shown to you. You think you know better than actual data in front of you. You think the industry is wrapped around your preferences and whims. And anyone who disagrees and actually looks at that data is... well lookie there, a "corporate slave".

You're just a kid throwing a fit and little more.
Why are you lying? 😂😂😂 point out 1 argument I’ve ever made that wasn’t backed by facts and evidence. Point out anything I’ve ever said that goes against data and I’ll buy you any game you want. I’ll wait. All constructive criticism is doom posting to you people

If the industry was wrapped around my preferences and whims, gaming would be 1000x better 😎

• haha
Reactions: Swolf712

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Nintendo doing better marketing of Sony 1st party games than Sony themselves

A win for Sony! I will take this as the ice has been thawed a bit between both companies, hopefully.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
A win for Sony! I will take this as the ice has been thawed a bit between both companies, hopefully.
why does it matter if the ice is thawing? It’s not like they’ll ever make a game together. If anything, it’s a bad thing, it can only lead to more Switch ports of PS 1st party games.