Metaphor Re:Fantazio | Review Thread

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
Like I said earlier, it’s the cult following they have similar to From.

Their games are mostly visual and technical turds.

Any other developer and it would drop points simply because of these reasons.

They get away with it.

Metaphor has too. In fact not only have they not dropped points they haven’t even mentioned it.
It's not that the following is cultish. It's that they trained their audience not to expect super graphics and expect other things.

I personally think that Atlus (and even Falcom) releases RPGs that are better than anything new from Square in over 10 years.

• haha
Reactions: Lersds

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
It's not that the following is cultish. It's that they trained their audience not to expect super graphics and expect other things.

I personally think that Atlus (and even Falcom) releases RPGs that are better than anything new from Square in over 10 years.

So the standards are different for their reviews which is ridiculous.

That’s the issue.

We all have lower standards for their games including Nintendo and From but that doesn’t mean reviewers should ignore this when giving out scores. The majority didn’t even mention it.

Especially considering they DONT ignore it when it comes to other developers/publishers and even knock marks off them.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024

Why we acting like atlus games don't get constant praise for their art design and, in particular, their menu design?
Atlus games don't get dissed for their graphics because Atlus games generally look really good even if they're *technically* lower end than your typical Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts.
And that holds true here! There's a lot of style present, particularly in the menu design and UI

Last edited:
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Why we acting like atlus games don't get constant praise for their art design and, in particular, their menu design?
Atlus games don't get dissed for their graphics because Atlus games generally look really good even if they're *technically* lower end than your typical Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts.
And that holds true here! There's a lot of style present, particularly in the menu design and UI

I find this post fascinating considering what you posted in the Until Dawn Remake thread.

Amazing how the goalposts move.

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
So the standards are different for their reviews which is ridiculous.

That’s the issue.

We all have lower standards for their games including Nintendo and From but that doesn’t mean reviewers should ignore this when giving out scores. The majority didn’t even mention it.

Especially considering they DONT ignore it when it comes to other developers/publishers and even knock marks off them.
The standards are different for two reasons:

1) JRPGs don't need to have super graphics, if they do it's a plus, but the genre is not diminished by even okay graphics.

2) The art style and direction on this genuinely trumps almost every FF since maybe 10.

3) Let's face it, even the stories out of Atlus or Falcom or Gust are better than anything Square produced in a a while now.

People think it's some kind of conspiracy, when it's clear that Square is so far behind even small competitors like Falcom. It's not even about Sony exclusivity, that's just the crutch they're using to justify bad performance for their shareholders and buy time.

They are very clearly coasting on name recognition and even that is clearly fading now.

Watch DQ12 flop like FF16 or FF7R did. You can already see the signs of the same brain rot that fucked FF creeping into DQ as well:

• haha

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
That's basically what I'm talking about.

This isn't the 90's or 2000's anymore, adding more detail to Cloud's hair won't suddenly make him relevant to today's audiences. Final Fantasy has a deep rot that's set into it from the good old days, not just now.

Atlus are basically doing their version of Final Fantasy here and it seems like they basically hit it out of the park.

• haha

SuperPotato

Veteran
1 Mar 2024
94? Holy crap.

Really liked the demo, i'm getting this day 1.

I expect Xbots to latch on to it and champion it as GOTY, because it's the only GOTY contender they can access on their platform.

They're getting desperate.

All this Xbox marketing only for the PS5 version to score higher and get the majority of sales.

Also the fact that PS5 is the only place to play all three games.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
I find this post fascinating considering what you posted in the Until Dawn Remake thread.

Amazing how the goalposts move.
One is a remake trying to improve on a preexisting game (and thus is judged on how it holds up to its original) while another is an original IP.
I could just as well talk about how Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne's HD remaster has really ugly 4:3 prerendered scenes mixed in with the higher res stuff, but I didn't, because Nocturne is an unrelated PS2 game to the topic

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
The standards are different for two reasons:

1) JRPGs don't need to have super graphics, if they do it's a plus, but the genre is not diminished by even okay graphics.

If JRPGs don’t need it then NO game does.

The question is why reviewers in particular ignore shit graphics on some developers games and don’t ignore it on others.

Going as far as knocking points off the overall score.

You even have a poster here who was discussing the lighting of Until Dawn Remake.

Yet no issues with Metaphor which doesn’t even have lighting and looks like a turd.

• they're_right_you_know

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
One is a remake trying to improve on a preexisting game (and thus is judged on how it holds up to its original) while another is an original IP.
I could just as well talk about how Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne's HD remaster has really ugly 4:3 prerendered scenes mixed in with the higher res stuff, but I didn't, because Nocturne is an unrelated PS2 game to the topic

Irrelevant.

One looks great and the other looks like a turd from the PS3 era.

• they're_right_you_know

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I'm stunned the reviews are so high from what I've played of the demo.

It just seems interesting what games reviewers give a pass to and what games they don't. The transition screens, loading time, art direction, voice acting, story, and characters do not suggest this game is 90+ let alone close to 95...

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Irrelevant.

One looks great and the other looks like a turd from the PS3 era.
if the Until Dawn remake was the original version I would not have been so fussy about its graphics, fwiw
It's not that it looks bad on its own its just hard to look at a remake without comparing it to what it's remaking

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I'm stunned the reviews are so high from what I've played of the demo.

It just seems interesting what games reviewers give a pass to and what games they don't. The transition screens, loading time, art direction, voice acting, story, and characters do not suggest this game is 90+ let alone close to 95...

Exactly. Atlus, Nintendo and From get away with this.

Watch the standards change when Square release their next RPG.

Even their lower budget games like the Mana series etc get slaughtered.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
if the Until Dawn remaster was the original version I would not have been so fussy about its graphics, fwiw
It's not that it looks bad on its own its just hard to look at a remaster without comparing it to what it's remastering

Irrelevant.

Every Atlus game from the last 3 generations could run on a PS3.

You’re not fussy with them.

That’s all OK cause Atlus.

• they're_right_you_know

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
As I said, the fight between FF7 and Metaphor is already starting. They are pitting these games against each other because FF7 is exclusive and the other is heavily Xbox-marketed. Suddenly Rebirth sucks 😒

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Exactly. Atlus, Nintendo and From get away with this.

Watch the standards change when Square release their next RPG.

Even their lower budget games like the Mana series etc get slaughtered.

I'll probably get around to playing this game at some point. I generally like the formula and I love the Persona games, but this is legitimately a PS3 game getting hype and praise in 2024.

I put 5 hours into the demo. Some games are shorter than that and it isn't anywhere close to being the best RPG I've ever played. It wouldn't be in the top 20.

Maybe I'm missing something that others are seeing or maybe the game gets fantastic post-demo. Maybe people are just hungry to have a company putting out big JRPGs that they're willing to give Atlus a pass at every turn.

This feels like a cookie cutter JRPG with Persona functionality and gameplay.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
As I said, the fight between FF7 and Metaphor is already starting. They are pitting these games against each other because FF7 is exclusive and the other is heavily Xbox-marketed. Suddenly Rebirth sucks 😒

Weird comparision.

Even the sales being down compared to previous entries Rebirth probably sold at launch more than what Metaphor will sell lifetime.