Metaphor Re:Fantazio | Review Thread

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
If JRPGs don’t need it then NO game does.
Some games do in fact need well-executed graphics to fly at their maximum.

Survival horror genre is an example. Lighting for example can be very important in setting the mood and creating opportunities for scares. If you have bad lighting in your horror game then you will be docked points for it.

General detail matters too.. Try going back to the OG RE1 and tell me whether it scares you as much as RE remake does.

Driving games too benefit greatly from things like strong reflections more detail on the road gravel etc.

This idea that all games should be reviewed the exact same way is just insane to me.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Some games do in fact need well-executed graphics to fly at their maximum.

Survival horror genre is an example. Lighting for example can be very important in setting the mood and creating opportunities for scares. If you have bad lighting in your horror game then you will be docked points for it.

General detail matters too.. Try going back to the OG RE1 and tell me whether it scares you as much as RE remake does.

Driving games too benefit greatly from things like strong reflections more detail on the road gravel etc.

This idea that all games should be reviewed the exact same way is just insane to me.
that's not graphics, that's artstyle. for example five nights at freddy's is incredibly popular yet it has dated graphics.

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
that's not graphics, that's artstyle. for example five nights at freddy's is incredibly popular yet it has dated graphics.
Does Until Dawn remake have a strong enough artstyle to get past the graphical issues?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
My 5 years old child plays Five Nights Freddy.
There is nothing scary on it.

Edit - I will say the time the game launch says if it graphics was scary or not.

For example RE1 was very scary in 1997 but today… well it is not… maybe because you where exposed to better graphics.

It like these B movies from1979-1980… try to watch them today… you will laugh how everything looks like polystyrene.
But in 1980 it was man very bey scary.

You get used to better graphics.
Like maybe it is the immersion… today you are used to high graphics that the immersion only happens when you have it.
Without it you won’t immerse enough in the game to be scary.

In the past you get immersed with low graphics because you didn’t know better graphics existed (they didn’t at time).

It is subconscious.

Some for others games… play Top Gear (SNES) today… it can be fun and nostalgic but you won’t relate it as a racing game lol you will only saw flaws.

Last edited:
Reactions: Entropi

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
I think FNAF and OG RE1 are scary...
I can't play FNAF at all due to its horror factor being too much for me actually
While I can handle OG RE1, I can't play OG RE2 either and think the crusty graphics makes it scarier

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I think FNAF and OG RE1 are scary...
I can't play FNAF at all due to its horror factor being too much for me actually
While I can handle OG RE1, I can't play OG RE2 either and think the crusty graphics makes it scarier
I confess I did no play FNAF enough... just the parts my kid can't do alone.
But watching him play I saw more him laughing about how the toys are cool than scaring.

I think it is variate from person to person... some are get more scared others not.

RE1today I can say it is not scare at all to me... I replayed it few years ago together with REmake in sequence to feel the differences.
It is far way different from the scare jumps I had in 1997... I should say it was even boring.
I used to dream in fear with Tyrant... but today it feels so bad design wise... it is very simple and nothing scaring at all.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Opencritic should give a better overall score regardless of platform.

Sitting at 91 on opencritic.
Sorry to quote you today... I was thinking about the subject since when I read it yesterday.

IMO.
If game reviews where doing right then Opencritic should not be fair and should be screwed combining platforms.
Unless a game is exactly the same across platforms (something rarely happens) the differences between platforms should affect the score... and one platform should not be harmed due other platform issues.

Performance, graphic quality, critical bugs, etc should be taken as part of the score.
So a game on A platform should score a bit better than a game on B platform that looks blury due the low resoltuion.
Or a game on A platform should score a bit better at solid 60fps than a game on B platform that can't maintain 40-50fps.
Critical bugs like these that happened at launch on Xbox games (the lack of tools) should discount the scores.
Issues like Cyberpunk being unplayable on PS4 should make it score way lower than Cyberpunk on PC.

Scores by platform matter and makes sense.
After games are not the same across platforms... each version has it own series of issues that can affect the enjoyment or not of the game on that platform.
Classic example of big differences Bayonetta 360 play so different from Bayonetta PS3 that if the art and characters where not the same you should mistake as different games... that because it run in 60fps on 360 and 30fps onPS3.

Not talking others Metacritic point of discussion (like the weighted system)... only about the separate platforms reviews made it a better system than Open Critic.
After all a game in platform A can't receive lower scores because it was a trainwreck in platform B.

As a PS5 gamer I want to look only about PS5 reviews because I don't care how it run or is on others platforms.

Last edited:

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Disappointed at this lack of hype this game is getting around these parks..... this was 7 years in the making people

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Disappointed at this lack of hype this game is getting around these parks..... this was 7 years in the making people
I told you there was no hype for this game after it was marketed as a Xbox exclusive.

Only 38 000 followers on Steam and number 9 on best-sellers (similar to Until Dawn before release). It was always extremely low on PSN until the demo and reviews, now it went up but it's still lower than Dragonball, Silent Hill, Space Marines, Astrobot, Palworld and even Until Dawn! 😬

Maybe the WOM will help but Sega fucked with the marketing.

Sort by bestselling, it's on page 2

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi and Lersds

Ico

Banned
8 May 2024
didnt think this one would be this high, pre ordered yesterday so its a pleasant surprise

Reactions: Bryank75