Microsoft Blocking pre-orders for Persona 3/4 on Switch and PS4 in order to cook books for the xbox versions, purposefully gimped the PS5 version

24 Jun 2022
Phil is also blocking a native PS5 version.

Crazy if true. It's probably time PS gamers spoke with their wallets and just buy some other games to send Sega/Atlus a message. Otherwise they would just be enabling more of this, IMO.

Again, just assuming if the reason is because of MS. It could also be with how PS5 handles BC of PS4 titles, as we've seen some instances where patches needed to come later for PS5-specific enhancement of other games, because they had to recompile the build specifically for the PS5 version so that the new features could be applied (to my understanding).

So I'm not going to rule that out, either. Were there other examples of previous Persona or SMT re-releases on PS5 that had the updated features Day 1? If so, then it would point to an arbitrary roadblock, probably by a 3P in the situation like MS.

Tbh, fuck atlus. The only thing that sets their games apart is the music. I don't think they are necessarily screwing over playstation due to being paid by MS, because this isn't the first time they've done bullshit, they clearly treat playstation players like paypigs. Imagine charging full price on p5 -> p5r and providing no upgrade path to the ps5 version, you gotta buy it at full price again.

Anyone who buys a PS5 version of a game they already own the PS4 version of is an idiot anyway.

Okay can one of y'all or someone explain to me exactly how this re-release is being done? Is it in a way where if you already own the games on PS4, you have to buy the re-release in order to get PS5-specific features, but they're getting Series S/X upgrades free on Xbox? And you can't even do a $10 upgrade path for PS5 features if you have the PS4 versions?

Yeah, that is really scummy of Sega/Atlus if true but like I've said in the past, Sega have a history of idiotic business decisions and eroding their fanbases. They did it with the Genesis (mid Western Sega CD support, half-hearted 32X support), Saturn, even Dreamcast in a few ways. Sony doesn't force them to do what they're doing with Persona 3/4 if they're in fact only giving the option to unlock PS5 features through rebuying the game all over; that's a choice on Sega/Atlus's part.

Or more likely, something they've chosen because of a marketing deal with Microsoft (IIRC they have a marketing deal with them for these re-releases). Doesn't bode well for Persona 6 IMHO, they might just make that a timed exclusive for Xbox at this rate. Even if it's not, given the going-ons with P5R, P3 & P4 remaster releases, are Persona fans on PlayStation going to feel comfortable throwing money at a new installment when they can just play it for "free" on another platform (really feels likely Persona 6 is going to be a Day 1 GamePass game at this rate)?

I get going for the bag, Sega/Atlus but don't do it at the expense of your own fanbase, sheesh.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Crazy if true. It's probably time PS gamers spoke with their wallets and just buy some other games to send Sega/Atlus a message. Otherwise they would just be enabling more of this, IMO.

Again, just assuming if the reason is because of MS. It could also be with how PS5 handles BC of PS4 titles, as we've seen some instances where patches needed to come later for PS5-specific enhancement of other games, because they had to recompile the build specifically for the PS5 version so that the new features could be applied (to my understanding).

So I'm not going to rule that out, either. Were there other examples of previous Persona or SMT re-releases on PS5 that had the updated features Day 1? If so, then it would point to an arbitrary roadblock, probably by a 3P in the situation like MS.

Okay can one of y'all or someone explain to me exactly how this re-release is being done? Is it in a way where if you already own the games on PS4, you have to buy the re-release in order to get PS5-specific features, but they're getting Series S/X upgrades free on Xbox? And you can't even do a $10 upgrade path for PS5 features if you have the PS4 versions?

Yeah, that is really scummy of Sega/Atlus if true but like I've said in the past, Sega have a history of idiotic business decisions and eroding their fanbases. They did it with the Genesis (mid Western Sega CD support, half-hearted 32X support), Saturn, even Dreamcast in a few ways. Sony doesn't force them to do what they're doing with Persona 3/4 if they're in fact only giving the option to unlock PS5 features through rebuying the game all over; that's a choice on Sega/Atlus's part.

Or more likely, something they've chosen because of a marketing deal with Microsoft (IIRC they have a marketing deal with them for these re-releases). Doesn't bode well for Persona 6 IMHO, they might just make that a timed exclusive for Xbox at this rate. Even if it's not, given the going-ons with P5R, P3 & P4 remaster releases, are Persona fans on PlayStation going to feel comfortable throwing money at a new installment when they can just play it for "free" on another platform (really feels likely Persona 6 is going to be a Day 1 GamePass game at this rate)?

I get going for the bag, Sega/Atlus but don't do it at the expense of your own fanbase, sheesh.
SEGA is doing what they did with Judgment. There is no upgrade path whatsoever for P5R for owners of the game, and no save transfer. If you want a native PS5 version, it is full price, and you will start over from scratch.

They also didn't include a save transfer in the PS5 version of Yakuza: Like a Dragon, and the PS5 native version, while a free upgrade, was delayed by three months and never announced ahead of time.

I am not buying another SEGA or Atlus game for more than half price until they take the big green dick out of their ass.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
SEGA is doing what they did with Judgment. There is no upgrade path whatsoever for P5R for owners of the game, and no save transfer. If you want a native PS5 version, it is full price, and you will start over from scratch.

They also didn't include a save transfer in the PS5 version of Yakuza: Like a Dragon, and the PS5 native version, while a free upgrade, was delayed by three months and never announced ahead of time.

I am not buying another SEGA or Atlus game for more than half price until they take the big green dick out of their ass.
The thing is they were already doing this before microsoft. Atlus are simply greedy fucks.

Explosive Zombie

21 Jun 2022
You should pay for something, not pay for someone else not to have something. I've always loathed this sort of practice, whether it's exclusive DLC in the first Destiny or waiting longer for season content in CoD, it's petty shit but I think removing the ability to pre-order (and possibly paying to gimp PS5 versions) is slightly worse than even that level of petty.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
"MS is evil for paying to gimp a port"
"Thank god Sony is money-hatting games"

giphy.gif
Your hypocrisy is showing

24 Jun 2022

I wouldn't blame you, or anyone else, really. Sega/Atlus seem to be forgetting it's the PlayStation fanbase that helped make their post-Dreamcast games successful (well, in Sonic's case most of that was thanks to Nintendo but PS sales for those games were still pretty good).

It also makes me wonder if MS have worked something out with Persona 6, i.e Day 1 GamePass deal or timed exclusivity. Also curious if this continues, if sales on PlayStation and Nintendo systems drop off because of hardcore members of the fanbase feeling like they're being shortchanged.

I keep telling people, this stupid decision making is primarily Atlus, but some folks are hellbent on promoting an unsubstantiated conspiracy theory.

Atlus didn't even bother giving the PS4 SKU any PS4 Pro enhancements. That's their level of commitment here.

But Atlus is just the developer; Sega are the publisher. I know when Sega acquired Atlus they gave Atlus some exceptions but I'm sure that didn't include SKU publishing decisions that could end up affecting the whole company's revenue results.

At that point, why have even acquired them? That's just Atlus being their own publisher basically. While that probably makes sense for Microsoft's acquisitions, Sega's a much smaller company with a different corporate structure.

So it's either MS behind this, or Sega/Atlus (primarily through Sega though).

OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
they purposefully skip the PS5 to ship on consoles that will do 1/10th the numbers like xbox one and series. duh.

i mean come on. how stupid do you have to be to deny that MS is involved?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty
OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
I don't know what your measuring for the short end of the stick, Xbox didn't even have any Persona games until 4 months ago lol. And Yakuza LaD didn't even get a Japanese release on Xbox, only in EU/US. That's the short end of the stick.

Less than to believe that they paid to make sure Atlus didn't do PS4 Pro enhancements or a native PS5 version of an already multi-platform game.
a native PS5 version would have outsold both the xbone and xbox series versions though, so it doesn't make a lick of sense.

There's a deal in place preventing a native PS5 version. That's a fact.

There is no point in putting extra effort into the series version when it will sell 1:10th the amount of copies, and no serious JRPG fan or Persona fan gives 2 shits about Xbox, and xbox has never had persona games before.

It's a backalley, backdoor gimping rights deal.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I don't know what your measuring for the short end of the stick, Xbox didn't even have any Persona games until 4 months ago lol. And Yakuza LaD didn't even get a Japanese release on Xbox, only in EU/US.

That's the short end of the stick.

Lesser than to believe that they paid to make sure Atlus didn't do PS4 Pro enhancements or a native PS5 version of an already multi-platform game. (y)
There's a difference between not bothering with a fanbase who hasn't shown any inclination to support Japanese games in any significant numbers versus screwing over an already established fanbase, but you already know that and are just hell-bent on playing defense for Microsoft.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
they purposefully skip the PS5 to ship on consoles that will do 1/10th the numbers like xbox one and series. duh.

i mean come on. how stupid do you have to be to deny that MS is involved?

Well let’s see how it sells.

Atlus games are niche and so was Persona if it wasn’t for the Playstation gamers.

Favouring a platform where even the most popular JRPGs have never sold well and antagonising Playstation gamers is a recipe for disaster

Only Sega is capable of thinking this was a good idea.

Even SMT5 barely scraped a million on Nintendo Switch.

Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
and yet the exact same deal was done, with the exact same publisher previously (yakuza 7). Funny how this keeps happening. You'd make one shitty detective, that's for sure.

A better question is, why does it upset you that I pointed out that MS is doing this?

• they're_right_you_know

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
What am I supposed to be playing defense for ? 🤔 I have yet to see a single credible* source that says MS paid Sega/Atlus to gimp the PS5 version.

* i-e not a deleted tweet from a twitter content creator who has no affiliation with Sega/Atlus.
That's the type of thing that would only come out in a court proceeding, but I'm done entertaining your bad-faith arguments. Good day to you, lmao.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Funny how the legitimacy requests change.

Microsoft threw some PR to their astroturfing machine about Sony having contracts with Capcom, literal confidential contracts, everything took it at face value. This happens, it's obvious as fuck why it happened, but suddenly there must be a strong foundation to claim that.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas
OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
why on earth would atlus prioritize a native series X version over a PS5 version if not for bribery? I still can't understand your reasoning.

Is it because they think Phil Spencer is handsome?

• they're_right_you_know
OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
anyways, the thread has reached its conclusion. While I initially focused on the pre-order window blocking rights, we can now reasonably conclude that Microsoft had a particularly sleazy marketing deal that included, but was not limited to (there may be more that we don't know yet):

-next gen exclusivity A.K.A gimping rights targeting the PlayStation version (no 4K or 120FPS allowed) for Sony.
-prioritizing xbox and windows logos on all marketing material
-gamepass inclusion
-windows store inclusion
-a brief press release delay for mentioning all other versions (around 48h)
-pre-order window exclusivity

BloodMod

Fear the Old Blood
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
You may have noticed this thread has gotten considerably smaller.

I was forced to clean up the excessive console war shitposts that infested it, and some people who were contributing very poorly may have been removed from this discussion.

Please report trolls or people who can't control themselves and rush to insult others. People who are just annoying in general can be placed in your ignore list, something else to keep in mind.

If anyone wants to actually discuss the games and not the business decisions related to this re-release, feel free to start an OT. Note this though: don't use said OT to troll or gloat either.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I think sales, will tell if this was a smart move or not. Let's see the activity numbers from Xbox to see how many people actually play/complete Persona.

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
They are great games, but I'm not going to double dip, too much of a slog to play them through again.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Deals happen all the time. Better get used to more deals like this happening if MS acquisition of Activision Blizzard doesn't go through.

• brain
Reactions: Papacheeks