Microsoft Blocking pre-orders for Persona 3/4 on Switch and PS4 in order to cook books for the xbox versions, purposefully gimped the PS5 version

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Microsoft gonna Microsoft. Wouldn't be the first time they paid to purposefully gimp the competition's versions.
They did it early last gen around the time the whole #Ps4NoParity movement happened, then they were forced to stop.

I'm not upset with them, i expect nothing from them. These are the desperate measures one takes when they lack the marketshare to get real 3rd party exclusives.

i'm upset with sega for taking the deal. Again.

I bet they think no one noticed, too. I broke this story a week ago and now it's finally starting to get traction on major outlets after todays GIMPING RIGHTS news came out.
Imagine me surprised that media isn't reporting that 😂

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
In the end, it won't matter much. The ps4/5 and switch versions will sell much better than any of the xbox versions. Between the lack of interest in jrpgs on the system and gamepass killing game sales overall, it's going to sell poorly.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Microsoft gonna Microsoft. Wouldn't be the first time they paid to purposefully gimp the competition's versions.
They did it early last gen around the time the whole #Ps4NoParity movement happened, then they were forced to stop.

I'm not upset with them, i expect nothing from them. These are the desperate measures one takes when they lack the marketshare to get real 3rd party exclusives.

i'm upset with sega for taking the deal. Again.

I bet they think no one noticed, too. I broke this story a week ago and now it's finally starting to get traction on major outlets after todays GIMPING RIGHTS news came out.
The hashtag didn’t do dick, the PS4 humiliating the Bone in sales was what got publishers to tell Microsoft where to stick the Parity Clause.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Aren’t they on gamespass? It’s not going to sell anything on Xbox.

Looks like this scheme of MS was just to sway PS gamers from buying gimped versions to sub for gamespass for a proper next gen port.

Dirty Xbox tactics

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
nah, it fits in the same vein as not allowing pre-orders on PS. MS is pulling out every scummy move they can to deter buyers from that version. They want it to sell as little as possible so they can weasel their way into the persona series and 'steal' it from the real fans.

If you don't buy it on PS4, MS gets what it wants. the fact that they're this desperate to prevent sales elsewhere says it all.

thankfully though, no real JRPG fan cares about xbox so it'll still be the worst-selling version. especially when you factor in Gamespass freeware downloads.
I’m getting it on a discount. Fuck Atlus for accepting this shitty deal

• they're_right_you_know

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Aren’t they on gamespass? It’s not going to sell anything on Xbox.

Looks like this scheme of MS was just to sway PS gamers from buying gimped versions to sub for gamespass for a proper next gen port.

Dirty Xbox tactics
Imagine expecting ps gamers to buy a séries x for 4K persona 4? It’s never going to happen, MS gonna MS I guess

• they're_right_you_know

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Source

ezgif-3-2c82b65e57jqf1x.gif

The game was average looking even by PS2 standards.

4K 120 isn’t gonna help. Like polishing a pebble.

If anything it makes things look worse at times.

P3 Portable is even worse looking. They’re was no free roaming either apart from the dungeons.

OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
lack of upgrade path and no save carryover for PS4->PS5 version of Persona 5 was done to hurt sales on PS5, too. Another part of MS's backdoor dealing no doubt. I know a ton of people who skipped the PS5 version for that reason.

the same had happened to me with my Yakuza 7 save.

This is unprecedented. Where as Sony is sending developers to clean up and ensure multiplats run up the best they can on PS5, like they did with Callisto Protocol, MS takes the opposite approach and PAYS 3rd party to GIMP the competitors versions instead.

What an anti-consumer, anti-competitive behaviour.

And the MS apologists either bury their head is the sand, pull out the nonsense excuse that it's the Xbox's smart delivery being responsible for the lack of a native PS5 version (LOL - that's not how this works) or just go for the old 'atlus gonna atlus hoohoho" shitposting.

I really hope they get skipped on Persona 6. They really don't deserve the game after this, straight up.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
lack of upgrade path and no save carryover for PS4->PS5 version of Persona 5 was done to hurt sales on PS5, too. Another part of MS's backdoor dealing no doubt. I know a ton of people who skipped the PS5 version for that reason.

This is unprecedented. Where as Sony is sending developers to clean up and ensure multiplats run up the best they can on PS5, like they did with Callisto Protocol, MS takes the opposite approach and PAYS 3rd party to GIMP the competitors versions instead.

And the MS apologists either bury their head is the sand, pull out the nonsense excuse that it's the Xbox's smart delivery being responsible for the lack of a native PS5 version (LOL - that's not how this works) or just go for the old 'atlus gonna atlus hoohoho" shitposting.

I really hope they get skipped on Persona 6. They really don't deserve the game after this, straight up.
This is really bad timing for something like this to happen, with MS under scrutiny from the FTC and other trade regulators.

Engaging in wildly anticompetitive behaviour while attempting the largest merger of software publishers is kinda dumb!

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

Sony didn't send anyone to help with Callisto Protocol.
Only thing what Sony did, it was helping with motion capture and animations, because they have studio for that. to add, countless games and developers used the same studio, this is completely normal.

but because xbots FUD dried up, they created new one.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Sony didn't send anyone to help with Callisto Protocol.
Only thing what Sony did, it was helping with motion capture and animations, because they have studio for that. to add, countless games and developers used the same studio, this is completely normal.

but because xbots FUD dried up, they created new one.
I recall reading that the devs for Callisto did have some help from the ICE team.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
If MS truly are to blame for the gimped Playstation versions of these games, and you have no issue with the practice, then you have no right to get mad whenever Playstation gets a third party exclusive.

OP
OP
Bodycount611

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
If MS truly are to blame for the gimped Playstation versions of these games, and you have no issue with the practice, then you have no right to get mad whenever Playstation gets a third party exclusive.
There is nothing to get upset over about FF and SIlent Hill for instance, both games were PlayStation exclusives at a time, and have limited availability on xbox throughout their history to begin with. The first FF on Xbox was 13. T H I R T E E N! :LOL:

Sony also co-published the first FF7 game so Xbox has no claim to that universe whatsoever.

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 2.03.36 PM.png Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 2.03.59 PM.png

Persona on the other hand has been a PS exclusive since the 90's.

What MS is doing here is worse. It's trying to disrupt and harass an entire community of gamers by paying money to actively make our experience worse.

This is like if Sony sent GIMPING RIGHTS money to an beloved Xbox developer, like paying to make the the next Fifa or Madden run worse on Xbox.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
This does kind of hurt MS argument that they would never kneecap anyone else's version of a game if they are in fact responsible for this.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Tbh, fuck atlus. The only thing that sets their games apart is the music. I don't think they are necessarily screwing over playstation due to being paid by MS, because this isn't the first time they've done bullshit, they clearly treat playstation players like paypigs. Imagine charging full price on p5 -> p5r and providing no upgrade path to the ps5 version, you gotta buy it at full price again.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Tbh, fuck atlus. The only thing that sets their games apart is the music. I don't think they are necessarily screwing over playstation due to being paid by MS, because this isn't the first time they've done bullshit, they clearly treat playstation players like paypigs. Imagine charging full price on p5 -> p5r and providing no upgrade path to the ps5 version, you gotta buy it at full price again.
Anyone who buys a PS5 version of a game they already own the PS4 version of is an idiot anyway.