Microsoft is talking to japanese publishers about acquisitions. Let's guess the next big Xbox acquisition.

P

peter42O

Happy birthday.

You know what I meant, but you stuck your fingers in your ears and pretended you didn't.

How the fuck does Microsoft buying a publisher that releases games on all platforms with the goal of gatekeeping said publisher's games to their platform does not restrict gamers choices? You can spin this as you want it, but what you advocate for is for a company to gobble up all the main publishers and franchises. Since you own that platform, you gain absolutely nothing, since you have access to those games, which implies your only goal and what brings you joy is to take games away from other platforms.

That's just sad.

And let it be known that I don't give two shits about COD, Starfield, Fallout, Doom, etc. But those franchises will (and are, in at least one of them) be removed from other platforms.

Thank you.

It only restricts those who only want to stay on PlayStation and not go into any other eco-system which in my mind, if the game is really that important to the individual, they would go where the game that they supposedly want to play is located.

Having COD as it is now restricts gamers and consumers even on Xbox because you can only play them via console by buying it on disc or digital. Once Microsoft owns ABK, you get access to those other three options within the Xbox eco-system and even if an individual didn't want to buy the console, they don't have to. They could just eventually get that streaming stick/puck or download the APP on their smart TV, buy a single controller and play the game.

ABK and Bethesda wanted to sell. Google could have easily outbid Microsoft if they wanted to but they didn't for Bethesda and obviously didn't want to invest what it takes to run and operate a gaming platform and eco-system. What is Microsoft supposed to do? Pass on acquiring these companies?

And yes, I do believe that when you buy a company, whatever that company has is now yours and you can do whatever you want with it all and if that means exclusivity, so be it. People on PlayStation who cry should do what I tell Xbox gamers who cry about Final Fantasy or Kena or whatever, buy the other console if it's so important to you and just play the freaking game.

Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Thank you.

It only restricts those who only want to stay on PlayStation and not go into any other eco-system which in my mind, if the game is really that important to the individual, they would go where the game that they supposedly want to play is located.

Having COD as it is now restricts gamers and consumers even on Xbox because you can only play them via console by buying it on disc or digital. Once Microsoft owns ABK, you get access to those other three options within the Xbox eco-system and even if an individual didn't want to buy the console, they don't have to. They could just eventually get that streaming stick/puck or download the APP on their smart TV, buy a single controller and play the game.

ABK and Bethesda wanted to sell. Google could have easily outbid Microsoft if they wanted to but they didn't for Bethesda and obviously didn't want to invest what it takes to run and operate a gaming platform and eco-system. What is Microsoft supposed to do? Pass on acquiring these companies?

And yes, I do believe that when you buy a company, whatever that company has is now yours and you can do whatever you want with it all and if that means exclusivity, so be it. People on PlayStation who cry should do what I tell Xbox gamers who cry about Final Fantasy or Kena or whatever, buy the other console if it's so important to you and just play the freaking game.
So PlayStation first-party and third-party deals should be exclusive to PS5?
We agree here.

And before people ask… MS can do whatever they want with their owned game and that includes all games from Activision after it goes thought.

Exclusives matter but some fan base tried to deny it importance for years in the past… maybe they are finally becoming more reasonable.

Last edited:
P

peter42O

So PlayStation first-party and third-party deals should be exclusive to PS5?
We agree with that.

If Sony buys a publisher for example Square Enix, then YES, Sony owns them and can do what they want. I am a firm believer in having exclusive games and content for your platform and eco-system. The only difference is that I don't care if the games go on PC and whatnot like Microsoft does. Sony's studios should be exclusive to PlayStation and PC. Microsoft's studios should be exclusive to Xbox, PC and Cloud.

Funny thing is that I prefer full console exclusives over timed console exclusives because I want more exclusives for both my consoles. I sure as hell don't want less. Sony can be acquired by Apple or merge with Tencent and go on a shopping spree. Fine by me.

The ONLY reason why I prefer Microsoft over Sony (which is #2) when it comes to acquisitions is simply due to Game Pass. There's a lot of games on both sides that I would never buy and thus, would never play and try out but for a $10 monthly rental, no game im interested in playing is off limits. If Game Pass didn't exist or didn't have Microsoft's first party games on it to where I could do what I do for every first party game I want to play, then none of it would make any difference to me because I would be paying $60+ either way but if I have to choose between $60+ or a $10 monthly rental, obviously, im going with the $10 monthly rental.

Also, don't forget that im NOT a collector. I have an actual digital collection and that's not because im a collector but because there's DLC or expansions so it's simply easier and more convenient for me to just go all in digitally than to bother with the physical version. Even if I include 50% return when trading in games, im still spending $20 more on each individual game. Money is obviously very important to me especially as I get older and the only things that matter more to me is my health and my time.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Mainstream mindshare though is misleading because while God of War Ragnarok will be amazing and all that, the talk around the game won't last long because why would it? Once you complete the game, what's left to talk about? Nothing. But take a game like Forza Horizon 5 which has over 20m players as of June 2022. The game gets content, updates and expansions to keep gamers and consumers invested in the game for weeks, months and years. GOWR regardless of how amazing it will be isn't going to do that. There's a reason why vast majority of gamers and consumers play the Fortnite's, Minecraft's Roblox's, Genshin's and a bunch of other online games. It's because they're constantly being talked about due to the fact that they constantly get content and updates where as games like Sony's one and done franchises which also applies to most if not all publishers including Microsoft in some form or fashion become forgotten in time.

Only the hardcore PlayStation fans still talk about Returnal or Miles or Demon's Souls. For 95% of consumers/gamers, they moved on months and months ago. The only time they get a boost like returnal is when it releases on PC or gets new content. So this aspect completely depends on how you want to look at it. Sony gets the popular games and licenses but the staying power of them is minimal due to what kind of game they are.

We have to wait and see what happens with ABK and COD. I still believe that come 2024 it will be exclusive and I think Ryan passing on a three year contract offered for COD is going to blow up in his face. He should have honestly just accepted the deal because he's acting as if Sony owns COD when they don't own shit. Microsoft though will and they can do whatever they want with it. Sony can't accept the fact that Microsoft is going to be the one with the power, not Sony at least in this regard and when you dominate for 25+ years, it's extremely hard and difficult for them to become humbled.
Peter just admit it. You're a 44 year-old fanboy.

You might own a PS5, but you'd be happy if they owned most of the industry.

But thankfully for those of us who arent grossly short-sighted, while they have the most money, they're the least competent out of the big three platform-holders by a margin.

P

peter42O

Peter just admit it. You're a 44 year-old fanboy.

You might own a PS5, but you'd be happy if they owned most of the industry.

But thankfully for those of us who arent grossly short-sighted, while they have the most money, they're the least competent out of the big three platform-holders by a margin.

An Xbox fanboy wouldn't have PS4 as his #1 all time gaming console. An Xbox fanboy also wouldn't be buying GOWR day one.

Not true. Only a few companies that I have games I want to play. Sony can have Take Two, ABK, Konami, Sega, Square Enix and others if I went down a list.

I actually agree with you on the last part. In fact, I wouldn't argue it at all. But I am willing to give Microsoft this generation to see what they do and as easily as I have switched primary gaming consoles three generations in a row, make no mistake, I can easily switch back next generation. I will admit that I do heavily favor whichever brand is my primary gaming console because I obviously want it to be my #1 for the current generation.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Can you imagine if MS had 40 - 50 studios.

They'd probably make GamePass mandatory for all Xbox owners. Double the price of the bottom tier. And a lot of the studios would go to shit. It's far too many studios to handle, and they've struggled managing a far smaller number.
if ms becomed the bigger fish in this industry u will see exclusive games to gamepass ,prise raises with a lot of tiers,and the worse of all,they will become the ones who decides who is gonna be on their system at their terms, success metric willl be how much time people spend on games,and because the service will be the defacto option devs will need to cave and change a lot of things on their designs,now? they are on the honeymoon phase,its allways the same with these things,the offer the first doses free or very cheap,then with time and a sucess they will have people on their pockets and can do whatever they want in their ecosystem and people will be stripe of option and ownership of their games,it will take time,but its the endgame of these service shit,you will be allways with us,from the cradle to the grave

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
An Xbox fanboy wouldn't have PS4 as his #1 all time gaming console. An Xbox fanboy also wouldn't be buying GOWR day one.

Not true. Only a few companies that I have games I want to play. Sony can have Take Two, ABK, Konami, Sega, Square Enix and others if I went down a list.

I actually agree with you on the last part. In fact, I wouldn't argue it at all. But I am willing to give Microsoft this generation to see what they do and as easily as I have switched primary gaming consoles three generations in a row, make no mistake, I can easily switch back next generation. I will admit that I do heavily favor whichever brand is my primary gaming console because I obviously want it to be my #1 for the current generation.
you arent fooling anyone some,these enormous walls of text arguing about tis shit doesnt come from anyone neutral,you are xbox fanboy,at least be honest with your shit son,also if you wanna be a cheapass like you are with this "i dont wanna pay for games" go and play some F2P shit,its made for people like you,people who want to taste shit because its inexpensive

P

peter42O

you arent fooling anyone some,these enormous walls of text arguing about tis shit doesnt come from anyone neutral,you are xbox fanboy,at least be honest with your shit son,also if you wanna be a cheapass like you are with this "i dont wanna pay for games" go and play some F2P shit,its made for people like you,people who want to taste shit because its inexpensive

Believe whatever you want man. I have had debates with Thicc for months going back to GAF. We usually have long ass debates. I'm buying GOWR day one. Are you? I have spent $590 on games for PlayStation 5. $710 on the PS5 bundle from GameStop and $70 on the midnight black controller. And another $50 or so on solid black cover plates. Total cost since launch excluding sales tax and/or shipping is $1420. I would love to know how much you've spent on your PlayStation 5 or do you not own one?

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Relax guys, take a break if needed. Try and shake any animosity.

The Simpsons Dancing GIF

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
Ah yes, the return of the good old “MS is going to lock games to GamePass and triple the price!!!” argument. Because lord knows when they tried to raise the price of gold recently, the Xbox fan base just rolled with it like $70 games or something.

Everyone knows GP will rise in price eventually. MS won’t lock games to the service.

Reactions: EDMIX and peter42O

EDMIX

lol doubt.

I've heard this many times and it seems buying a company in Japan is not easy, even the Japanese themselves treat it differently and tend to side with mergers even within their own country, ie Square and Enix, Square Enix... Toei Techmo, Bandai Namco etc So....doubt.

They'll try, get laughed at and try to lock up some gamepass shit or something.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Ah yes, the return of the good old “MS is going to lock games to GamePass and triple the price!!!” argument. Because lord knows when they tried to raise the price of gold recently, the Xbox fan base just rolled with it like $70 games or something.

Everyone knows GP will rise in price eventually. MS won’t lock games to the service.
We will have a good laugh when the first locked game will appear, its not gonna be soon, but will happen

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
he is extreme xbox fanboy. he is real xbox fanboy like others who completely lacks of self awareness.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
if ms becomed the bigger fish in this industry u will see exclusive games to gamepass ,prise raises with a lot of tiers,and the worse of all,they will become the ones who decides who is gonna be on their system at their terms, success metric willl be how much time people spend on games,and because the service will be the defacto option devs will need to cave and change a lot of things on their designs,now? they are on the honeymoon phase,its allways the same with these things,the offer the first doses free or very cheap,then with time and a sucess they will have people on their pockets and can do whatever they want in their ecosystem and people will be stripe of option and ownership of their games,it will take time,but its the endgame of these service shit,you will be allways with us,from the cradle to the grave
Yeah they are willing to eat heavy losses and borrow from elsewhere in the company while making games like Starfield and CoD available on GamePass.

Then when Nadella gets sick of footing the bill, GamePass sees regular stealth price hikes. That is the game plan. Unfortunately for them, they have two competitors with much better reputations and mindshare, who make great games on a consistent basis.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Thank you.

No, you are not even close. Take Playstation for a minute out of the equation. Imagine Playstation didn't exist and lets say another platform that has potential of being big, like if Sega were to re-insert themselves as a platform. They get NBA 2K, EA'S sports titles, their own titles, and games like GTA and the likes. All third party on their box to really have a good start in getting people to possibly come to their platform.

They talk to Activision about call of duty releasing on their platform. Activision/Microsoft states that it has no issue releasing the title on the sega box as long as its through gamepass. A store/Ecosystem they control.

Thats whats happening. Their whole" gaming for everyone, enerywhere is talking about their app/ecosystem that you can access "their" games. So in a way circumventing iOS/Androids stores. They are essentially long term wanting to be what Epic was suing iOs for and lost.
Instead of you downloading the app if you want to use your phone to play COD console version from iOS you load up their gamepass app. Meaning it cuts out iOS, android.

So in game purchases wont go through iOS store/Android they would be within gamepass ecosystem app. Thats anti competitive.
You buy one of the worlds largest IP's, promote being able to stream it, and maybe in the future play it locally on mobile non-console devices, but lock the way you access it.

If they want Games everywhere, gamepass would work with steam. Instead of having different versions for steam and Gamepass. They want to buy large IP brands/Publishers and lock it behind their ecosystem. To access these things they are tip toeing around, by adding to gamepass and having all the transactions purchases be through that app as a sub, goes around the issue Epic had with Fortnite.

Super anticompetive.
Competitive would be allowing the games to live locally on the devices through downloading from the stores not owned by Microsoft. Because Microsoft has sucked so bad at managing software, they are trying to use cloud to make it look like they are making games available everywhere when in fact they are not because everything is through their app.

If Nintendo wants COD on their platform, gamepass is the ultimate goal for them. They may make a local version, but probably will try to promote a deal for gamepass app on Estore.

Right now Entertainment is leaking shit tons of money tons of mergers are happening, and no one is raising a red flag and look at what has happened? How many great movies have we had that stand up to the greats like Shaw shank from the 90's?
Movies are not being made like they use to because there is no physical sale anymore, no more rentals, only digital/streaming.

Microsoft is pushing for this future because they are an enterprise company that can weather the storm and make it that if you want to play the biggest IP's signing up to their service will be the only to most cost effective way.

Reactions: peter42O

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
If MS buys a japanese publisher like Square, Sega, Namco before Playstation, then Playstation heads need to be changed.

Tired of hearing comments like expect more acquisitions, we have XX billions to spend, and we have 25 1st party games in development. Time for action.
And mobile studiopurchases and Haven studios isn’t exactly what fans expected to counter Bethesda or Activision

Reactions: Papacheeks

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
If MS buys a japanese publisher like Square, Sega, Namco before Playstation, then Playstation heads need to be changed.
Not happening. Don’t worry Sony will accelerate soon. Japan has specific periods for acquisitions, so I expect they will do something in November.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Ive made peace that microsoft will eventually get a publisher i care about. Sony wants to be cheap and play it cute buying garage band cell phone companies and literal who pc port studios while microsoft buys publishers wholesale? If their number one sector of revenue and profit isnt worth fighting for to them, im not going to fight for them on message boards.