Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Unfortunately it's the extreme weirdos which are exactly the type of "vocal minority" that would be the people who send death threats and harass people.
I think there's the risk of that happening regardless of how they rule. There's no scenario here where everyone is happy.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Trying to win over public opinion is not the best move for them. by doing that MS must think that most of the gaming audience is either uninformed or have low intelligence. Most of us is smart enough to see through their BS. I will not be putting pressure, cheering on or defending a trillion dollar company to be successful at consolidating this industry and run it into the ground.
Looking at what Xbox fanboys have been saying since this deal was announced, they’d be right.

And that’s after getting away with bullshit like the Red Ring of Death!

Reactions: Doncortez77

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
Looking at what Xbox fanboys have been saying since this deal was announced, they’d be right.

And that’s after getting away with bullshit like the Red Ring of Death!
The Xbox fanboys is just vocal but never the majority. The overall fan base of Sony and Nintendo outweighs any weight a Xbox fan base would have with representation of the public opinion.

I get what you saying though cause Stockholm syndrome is a bitch and there are some peoples who’s not smart enough to know any better.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
One thing is for sure, Microsoft made a big splash with those contracts. Tons of non-gaming media are reporting on their agreement with Nvidia.

Another thing, I'm not sure if this is simply for legal reasons or not, but Brad Sims seemed to avoid the question when asked about how the actual hearing with regulators went and instead wanted to focus on touting the public agreements they signed. Could this mean that the real meaty discussions with actual regulators aren't going well, or is he just not legally allowed to talk about how he felt they went?

Last edited:
Reactions: Doncortez77

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
My question is what do they expect to gain from taking this public? Xbox fanboys and astroturf Microsoft accounts on Twitter tweeting at the cma? Made to order protestors with signs outside the cma? Who are they appealing and what action can this audience really do? It’s all a stunt show for attention. This isn’t an election where you get attention and get people to hear your message to vote. It seems amateurish and child like coming from such a big company like Microsoft to behave this way.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Can we take a minute to dwell on the the fact that it was activision, not Microsoft, that said today that Sony has been dominant for 20 years and afraid of the status quo changing, or something to that effect. A third party that greatly depends on PlayStation sales is saying they’ve been on top too long and it needs to change. Between Bethesda and now activision, I’m genuinely convinced there is some sort of anti Japanese sentiment at play here regardless of how much Sony tries to westernize. There’s no other ration explanation why these western publishers will go behind Sonys back and publicly spit in their face besides racial animus and jealousy.

Edit: forgot about that take 2 ceo coming out of the blue in favor of this deal saying that a strong Microsoft is good for take 2 or something. Yeah western publishers have 100% signaled They do not want Sony on top for whatever reason. Profits and revenue are higher than they’ve ever been so it’s something else besides money. I think it’s anti Japanese/ anti Asian racial animus and attitude.

Last edited:

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
If MS were as petty as some of you guys think they are, Minecraft would be off of PS years ago. Minecraft, the single highest selling game of all time that still comes in top download charts even now.

If they say they want to keep it on PS and also bring it to Nintendo consoles, it's probably a decision made with finances and revenue in mind.
MS shouldn't have played fast and loose with their Bethesda promises and analysis then.

You know what they say about the boy who cried wolf

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Can we take a minute to dwell on the the fact that it was activision, not Microsoft, that said today that Sony has been dominant for 20 years and afraid of the status quo changing, or something to that effect. A third party that greatly depends on PlayStation sales is saying they’ve been on top too long and it needs to change. Between Bethesda and now activision, I’m genuinely convinced there is some sort of anti Japanese sentiment at play here regardless of how much Sony tries to westernize. There’s no other ration explanation why these western publishers will go behind Sonys back and publicly spit in their face besides racial animus and jealousy.
I think this is just them saying whatever they need to say to make this deal go through and make more money. I don't think it's jealousy, it's just them wanting a payday from getting bought out. The 20 years quote is funny though as the console generations aren't cut and dry like that. I wouldn't consider the PS3 to be a market leader and Sony's success last gen had a lot to do with Microsoft making multiple poor decisions and leaving the goal wide open for Sony as it were.

D

Deleted member 417

Edit: forgot about that take 2 ceo coming out of the blue in favor of this deal saying that a strong Microsoft is good for take 2 or something. Yeah western publishers have 100% signaled They do not want Sony on top for whatever reason. Profits and revenue are higher than they’ve ever been so it’s something else besides money. I think it’s anti Japanese/ anti Asian racial animus and attitude.
Sony stand in the way of change for the industry. They have kept their core and target audience, ideals and values the same for over 30 years; Consistent 1st party exclusive, powerful unique hardware and respecting the gamers. American tech companies don't want any of that, they want you to be hooked into their system, paying top dollar for bottom of the barrel shit because you have no choice. Sony is like James Bond to American techs Blofeld.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
MS shouldn't have played fast and loose with their Bethesda promises and analysis then.

You know what they say about the boy who cried wolf

They said Bethesda games will be decided case by case, not that they will pledge to make all future Bethesda games on other platforms. They didn't make any false promises or statements of intent for things they didn't keep.

I think it's time to let go of that Bethesda thing already. It's blown way out of proportion and spoken in the incorrect context all the time.

FIREK2029

24 Jun 2022
The crazy PR stunts and MS trying to appeal to the public makes me believe the deal is toast or is dead in its current form.

Anytime MS has gone through crazy lengths for PR and to show they want behavioral remedies during this ABK buyout fiasco it has backfired on them.

They must know the deal is on very shaky ground or that the regulators aren't buying their story hence the insane PR stunts.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
the sheer arrogance of these guys wheeling and dealing with a property they don't even own.

xbox is last place for a reason, nobody wants these guys in gaming. They're absolutely hated by hardcore and enthusiast gamers worldwide.

they must be chased out of the industry before they do any more irreparable harm with the gamepass/ no games ownership model.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
My question is what do they expect to gain from taking this public? Xbox fanboys and astroturf Microsoft accounts on Twitter tweeting at the cma? Made to order protestors with signs outside the cma? Who are they appealing and what action can this audience really do? It’s all a stunt show for attention. This isn’t an election where you get attention and get people to hear your message to vote. It seems amateurish and child like coming from such a big company like Microsoft to behave this way.
They’re trying to save face.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Saying they absolutely will not accept divestiture, when the CMA has said divestiture is the bare minimum to pass the deal, is MS’ way of getting out of the deal without taking the PR damage from tapping out to the CMA’s stranglehold.

This way they get to say they were fighting for the gamers but those mean old regulators just wouldn’t do the right thing.

It’s theatre, just like any other bully that gets a beatdown in front of a crowd, they have to act like it was THEIR choice to walk away.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
They said Bethesda games will be decided case by case, not that they will pledge to make all future Bethesda games on other platforms. They didn't make any false promises or statements of intent for things they didn't keep.

I think it's time to let go of that Bethesda thing already. It's blown way out of proportion and spoken in the incorrect context all the time.
They presented that they have no financial incentive to remove Bethesda games in their documentation to the EU. And...

Phil Spencer:
"This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that. Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: ‘How do we keep other players from playing these games?’ We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games.”

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
They presented that they have no financial incentive to remove Bethesda games in their documentation to the EU. And...

Phil Spencer:

It helps to read the entire quote, this is what he says next:

But I’ll also say in the model—I’m just answering directly the question that you had—when I think about where people are going to be playing and the number of devices that we had, and we have xCloud and PC and Game Pass and our console base, I don’t have to go ship those games on any other platform other than the platforms that we support in order to kind of make the deal work for us. Whatever that means.

Secondly, this was widely circulated at the end of last year when FTC tried to pull the Bethesda card as well and basically lied that MS made commitments to EU that they will not make games like Starfield exclusive.

EU did not ask or required any such commitment. They have to come out and all but call FTC liars.

So this current situation is nothing like Zenimax.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Someone post if Idas says anything new. I'm tired of wading through that era thread, lmao somebody tag in.

Last edited:

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
xbox is dying because of phil spencer's failed business plan.

we know have PROOF that xbox has never been worse off and is actually LOSING marketshare further since the introduction of gamepass.

the dumbass Phil Conman thought core gamers wanted no exclusives, to give all their games away to PC, and pay $15 a month for access to all the sloppy 60 metacritic games no else would touch.

It's just so absurd what xbox has become and how far they've fallen. They need to leave gaming, if only to save what little dignity they have left.

D

Deleted member 417

xbox is dying because of phil spencer's failed business plan.

we know have PROOF that xbox has never been worse off and is actually LOSING marketshare further since the introduction of gamepass.

the dumbass Phil Conman thought core gamers wanted no exclusives, to give all their games away to PC, and pay $15 a month for access to all the sloppy 60 metacritic games no else would touch.

It's just so absurd what xbox has become and how far they've fallen. They need to leave gaming, if only to save what little dignity they have left.
The sad thing is, GamePass could be the greatest gift to gaming decades, but Phil Spencer doesn't know the industry and Microsoft don't care about their customers enough to remove their head from their arses and really see what makes Gamepass an interesting proposition.