Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Yeah, I've seen some pointing this out on GAF as well. It seems like Microsoft are offering Xbox & ABK games onto GeForce Now as part of that deal, and they are offering those games to Nintendo platforms (guessing Switch 2) for a 10-year period.

On the one hand, that is actually an interesting development because it's something I felt MS would try to do going forward regardless if the deal's approved or not. And that's in going in a fuller 3P role. Not by phasing out Xbox hardware, but by doing things like making specific licensing deals (including Game Pass & xCloud ones) with other platform holders, both for streaming and native availability. Meanwhile, turning Xbox into a series of gaming-centric NUC mini-PCs and I would venture opening them up to running Windows and selling at healthier MSRPs with a profit margin on them (for example, they could offer a Windows upgrade license for Series S & X and set it at like $199 or $299), meaning the marketing and advertising would have to pivot as well to reflect that.

I do kind of see that being an endgame for Microsoft gaming-wise. What I don't get is how the deals offered to Nvidia and Nintendo do much for certain cloud-centric regulatory concerns or other concerns relating to native availability on other platforms. Notice Microsoft have not attempted such talks with Amazon. Can you guess why? Is it because they view Amazon as an actual competitor, but have repeatedly stated that neither Nvidia (whom they work with in terms of scoping out GPU features with DirectX compatibility) or Nintendo are competitors? Why did Microsoft wait until now to present these offers to regulators? Why did they not present a similar offer to Google before Stadia was decided to be shut down? Considering Google directly referenced MS's acquisition strategy as a reason for them bowing out of the gaming space with Stadia, surely making a move to bring Xbox & ABK games to Stadia the way MS are with Nvidia, would have been seen as a positive by regulators? But did Microsoft not do so, because they see Google as a direct competitor?

See where I'm going with this? Microsoft knows GeForce Now and Nintendo aren't direct threats to their Game Pass or Xbox business models as they currently exist, so they have no qualms making deals with them. Notice that they don't have a similar deal with Valve to bring Game Pass to Steam? I know you can get Game Pass xCloud running on a Steam Deck with some workarounds, but there is no official integration of Game Pass into Steam. That's probably because even Microsoft would acknowledge doing so would make Valve too much of a more direct competitor to them in the PC gaming space. And trust, if Microsoft could rely on Windows Store for PC game sales, they would not even be entertaining Steam releases much at all.

And we already know that they see PlayStation as a direct competitor, despite some earlier words. They offered Sony a deal for COD in PS+ but what does Sony gain from that when their business model relies on direct sales revenue? Why would they cannibalize their main main revenue model for one that could cause them to lose a lot of the revenue they currently make, for a part of the company that is much more critical for Sony's bottom line, than Xbox is for Microsoft's? If MS offers COD for PS+ Day 1, why would Microsoft not put COD in Game Pass Day 1 to counter that? And in doing so, they either cause Sony to lose userbase (they don't put COD in PS+ Day 1 to match because of potential drawbacks), or they lose revenue (put COD into PS+ Day 1, leave direct sales revenue on the table).

In that situation, Sony still loses either way because even if they try matching MS with COD in PS+ Day 1, they'll create expectation among their audience to keep getting COD Day 1 for future iterations. Their customers will expect more 3P AAA Day 1 releases into the service. They'll expect Sony's 1P marquee games in PS+ Day 1. In all cases, potentially bleeding out on otherwise guaranteed direct sales revenue through the traditional, proven model. And if Sony were to do that long enough, even if they finally decided to reverse course, they could be in a situation where they've trained enough people to simply not buy any of their or most 3P games Day 1, so revenue bleed would continue.

A company like Sony can't sustain that type of continuous revenue loss in gaming the way a company like Microsoft could, so while what I'm saying is a hypothetical, maybe even a borderline "doomsday" scenario as a thought exercise, no one can tell me this possibility doesn't have a semi-decent chance of emerging at some point if the acquisition were to be approved purely on the self-imposed behavioral remedies MS are putting out publicly today. Their Nvidia & Nintendo stuff is a good start but I don't think it really addresses most of what regulatory concerns are truly about, and I don't think those concerns can be resolved without at least some sort of (albeit softened) structural remedy or two.
It looks like the wording about the Nintendo deal was a mistake on Eurogamer's part according to what ERA found, the deal for them is just COD, and Nvidia is who would get more than that. MS also basically indicated during the press conference that behavioral remedies are the extent of what they're willing to give.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
So they're bypassing Uk by appealing directly to the EU, which still holds some sway legally over the UK?

Anyone who thinks Bethesda games weren't coming to PS5 let ye be known. This meeting and deal will be the excuse Microsoft needs to announce that Beth games are launching on PS5, because Microsoft are the 'pro-consumer' console of choice.
No.

They need approval from all three of the EU, the UK and the US to close the deal.

• Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 417

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Regardless of microsoft stunts and drama, sony needs to open the wallet and put formal investments in square and capcom ASAP. Take them off the market figuartively before someone else can get to them. A Billion each could go a long way, and use whatever else they have to invest in like ea or take 2. Take the tencent approach of investing and having a board seat instead of swallowing a publisher whole.
They already have chunks of Capcom and SquareEnix, and have for years.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022

1f49a.png

Only a tool will look at MS's efforts and announcements today and try to take it as a negative.

the funny thing about miserable xbox fanboys to cheer that woman its when they talk about the good things for the workers,when we all know she is a union buster

xbox mongrels will cheer hitler if they think that will help this deal to pass,

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
the funny thing about miserable xbox fanboys to cheer that woman its when they talk about the good things for the workers,when we all know she is a union buster

xbox mongrels will cheer hitler if they think that will help this deal to pass,
So far xbox fanboys have cheered on: Bobby "in Epstein's black book" Kotick, LuLu union buster Cheng, Michael Pachter, the republican (who they claim to hate) commissioner who left Lina Khan's FTC. These people do not have a principled bone in their body

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
So far xbox fanboys have cheered on: Bobby "in Epstein's black book" Kotick, LuLu union buster Cheng, Michael Pachter, the republican (who they claim to hate) commissioner who left Lina Khan's FTC. These people do not have a principled bone in their body
Also add to the list that Xbox fan boys is cheering on buying and reward a company that ignored and fostered this toxic behavior.

As if MS buying them would lead to a better work environment when in reality all they want is COD and the next Diablo to be in gamepass.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Also add to the list that Xbox fan boys is cheering on buying and reward a company that ignored and fostered this toxic behavior.

As if MS buying them would lead to a better work environment when in reality all they want is COD and the next Diablo to be in gamepass.

Yep, when all of the articles were coming out I remember one about a female employee being driven to suicide or something like that. It's crazy how close Bobby was to being outed before MS swooped in to save the day and people just ignore it like it didn't almost happen.

Reactions: Doncortez77

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
One thing ive been thinking is how short sighted nintendo is taking part in this clown show. Yes today microsoft is your buddy willing to play ball, but thats only because theyre focused on sony. What does nintendo think is going to happen if sony isnt around to take the brunt of microsofts attention? Its not like nintendo is immune to a flop console once in awhile either. I get why nintendo would want cod on their platform, but to be an actor in microsoft screwing over sony, publicly, seems in bad taste to me. Obviously im biased though.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I think there are flaws to Sony's approach of being mostly quiet with regards to the media during these proceedings, Namely, letting MS shape the narrative and public perception around this deal, though this may not matter in the end.

Last edited:

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
One thing ive been thinking is how short sighted nintendo is taking part in this clown show. Yes today microsoft is your buddy willing to play ball, but thats only because theyre focused on sony. What does nintendo think is going to happen if sony isnt around to take the brunt of microsofts attention? Its not like nintendo is immune to a flop console once in awhile either. I get why nintendo would want cod on their platform, but to be an actor in microsoft screwing over sony, publicly, seems in bad taste to me. Obviously im biased though.
Nintendo hate Sony, that's no secret

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
I think there are flaws to Sony's approach of being mostly quiet with regards to the media during these proceedings, Namely, letting MS shape the narrative and public perception, though this may not matter in the end.
Sony have hired massive legal teams to go through formal avenues to speak to the regulators. The public facing clown show isn't going to impress regulators

• they're_right_you_know

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Nintendo dgaf.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Most of these third party publisher buyouts won't affect them since the vast majority of sales on their platform come from first party games.

D

Deleted member 417

I think there are flaws to Sony's approach of being mostly quiet with regards to the media during these proceedings, Namely, letting MS shape the narrative and public perception, though this may not matter in the end.
Sony always do this, or release bare bones statements and let the actions speak louder than words. Usually the gaming media spells gloom and doom and froths in rage at Sony while salivating over MS. Then when the truth comes out - PS4 spec and price, PSVR1, PS5 spec and price, games etc, the shills show themselves up and they never, ever learn.