Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
For a “dead” game, they sure still sell a shitload of copies every year!
maxresdefault.jpg

the last one i played had a bunch of pink-hairs flying around on jetpacks, lmfao.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
maxresdefault.jpg

the last one i played had a bunch of pink-hairs flying around on jetpacks, lmfao.
And a few tens of millions of people still bought it.

Too many “hardcore” gamers stick their heads in the sand about games that don’t match their tastes being huge successes. COD, Madden, FIFA, NBA2K, they may not appeal to core gamers, but there are a LOT of non-core gamers buying them, and continuing to buy them.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
COD is still at the top of every sales chart year after year. They have built a formula, production pipeline, and fanbase which only yearly sports games have. Casual gamers buy consoles just to play COD/Fifa/Fortnite. This needs to be a wake up call to Sony to have a plan B, Xbox had its system seller multiplayer fps in Halo, Sony needs something just as strong. They basically need to create the pipeline that Sony san diego has for MLB the show but create an FPS out of it.

• they're_right_you_know

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
wtEi7jq.png

And?

If ONE (1) of the four of the EU, FTC, CMA and China says no, it’s a no for the deal.

This isn’t a step. And with the CMA having made it clear they’ll only approve if all COD-related business assets are divested, and MS telling the EU they will not proceed if divestment is required, tell us where that leaves things.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
So I've looked at the CMA's statement on remedies again and while they don't totally close the door on behavioral remedies being enough, it seems like it would be pretty difficult to convince them to go for that. I think Idas is right to still be on the fence about the deal.

Screenshot_20230223_095457_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20230223_101716_Drive.jpg

Last edited:

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
And?

If ONE (1) of the four of the EU, FTC, CMA and China says no, it’s a no for the deal.

This isn’t a step. And with the CMA having made it clear they’ll only approve if all COD-related business assets are divested, and MS telling the EY they will not proceed if divestment is required, tell us where that leaves things, you upon whom the mongoloids look down.

Slow your role champ, just reporting what's in the news regarding the acquisition lol.

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I like this smokescreen where they continue sharing stuff. In China, where the Western market has little penetration, this deal is inconsequential. In the UK, EU and US, where there's a risk of it affecting competition, it is relevant. And I'm still not sold on the "rumours" that the EC is happy with behavioral remedies especially in Lieu of this:

Notice that one of the things they asked MS to divulge was number of active users.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I like this smokescreen where they continue sharing stuff. In China, where the Western market has little penetration, this deal is inconsequential. In the UK, EU and US, where there's a risk of it affecting competition, it is relevant. And I'm still not sold on the "rumours" that the EC is happy with behavioral remedies especially in Lieu of this:

Notice that one of the things they asked MS to divulge was number of active users.
This is probably similar to markets like Saudi Arabia or Brazil approving it.

D

Deleted member 417

And a few tens of millions of people still bought it.

Too many “hardcore” gamers stick their heads in the sand about games that don’t match their tastes being huge successes. COD, Madden, FIFA, NBA2K, they may not appeal to core gamers, but there are a LOT of non-core gamers buying them, and continuing to buy them.
True, but that doesn't mean they can't be toppled or beaten. How many kings have fallen in the 40+ years of the Industry? Who would have thought Atari or Sega would fall out of the console business? That Fallout would be made by the same team that created TES? That Battlefield would one day be less popular than COD?

The hardcore gamers (enthusiast/hobby gamers) don't stick their head in the sand, they just ignore the fads that have existed forever. FIFA and Madden have dominated for decades as well as CS:S, Quake and Unreal (remember those?!). These fads come and go and are the waves that the industry rides on, but anchoring your future to these fads is what usually sinks the big boys.

CoD et al will always be popular, but they will never be the main reason people buy into a platform.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
True, but that doesn't mean they can't be toppled or beaten. How many kings have fallen in the 40+ years of the Industry? Who would have thought Atari or Sega would fall out of the console business? That Fallout would be made by the same team that created TES? That Battlefield would one day be less popular than COD?

The hardcore gamers (enthusiast/hobby gamers) don't stick their head in the sand, they just ignore the fads that have existed forever. FIFA and Madden have dominated for decades as well as CS:S, Quake and Unreal (remember those?!). These fads come and go and are the waves that the industry rides on, but anchoring your future to these fads is what usually sinks the big boys.

CoD et al will always be popular, but they will never be the main reason people buy into a platform.
The CMA found in their investigation that a large number of people buy these consoles for access to COD.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty