Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
That argument, and the people who use it (especially MS), conveniently ignores the fact that Sony earned their market share. It didn't happen overnight but is the end result of a sensible strategy - of which one of the keys is releasing great games. After seeing all that's gone on recently with the acquisition debacle, I doubt MS will ever get the memo about this. Blaming Sony for their inability to dominate the market is just so pathetic given all the mistakes they've made and are making.
A lot of people also forget Sony was in games LONG before the PlayStation. They were a publisher under the Sony Music Entertainment and CSG Imagesoft names as far back as the MSX and Famicom, and had multiple internal dev teams. Had Nintendo not screwed them, they would never have gone into hardware independently in the gaming arena.

Nintendo had the hubris to piss off a close partner with experience in software development and PC hardware, having made MSX computers before they launched the VAIO PC line. And, having been subjected to Nintendo's adversarial treatment of third-party publishers, they knew all they had to do to make a big splash was simply not treat third-parties like competition, but to make them partners in your platform's success, and most of the Japanese software world was ready to jump on the Playstation train.

MS has alway just tried to buy their way into things, and treat their third-parties like low-value contractors, and they reap the results that buys.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
A lot of people also forget Sony was in games LONG before the PlayStation. They were a publisher under the Sony Music Entertainment and CSG Imagesoft names as far back as the MSX and Famicom, and had multiple internal dev teams. Had Nintendo not screwed them, they would never have gone into hardware independently in the gaming arena.

Nintendo had the hubris to piss off a close partner with experience in software development and PC hardware, having made MSX computers before they launched the VAIO PC line. And, having been subjected to Nintendo's adversarial treatment third-party publishers, they knew all they had to do to make a big splash was simply not treat third-parties like competition, but to make them partners in your platform's success, and most of the Japanese software world was ready to jump on the Playstation train.

MS has alway just tried to buy their way into things, and treat their third-parties like low-value contractors, and they reap the results that buys.

True, Jaffe used to make games for Sega before they started PlayStation... although he admitted they were low quality movie tie-in games back then.
Very different from what Sony / PS is now...

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
True, Jaffe used to make games for Sega before they started PlayStation... although he admitted they were low quality movie tie-in games back then.
Very different from what Sony / PS is now...
Some of Sony's internally-developed games in that time were quite good, like Hook. Others, like Bram Stoker's Dracula were amazingly shitty.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Some of Sony's internally-developed games in that time were quite good, like Hook. Others, like Bram Stoker's Dracula were amazingly shitty.
I enjoyed Hook. Never did complete it as a kid. Got to Hook once and the twat killed me. Got the killing blow as I was going for it on him. Decided not to replay it again, I can't top that even if I completed the game lol

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I enjoyed Hook. Never did complete it as a kid. Got to Hook once and the twat killed me. Got the killing blow as I was going for it on him. Decided not to replay it again, I can't top that even if I completed the game lol
When I rented Karnov for the NES, I killed the first boss as he got the last hit on me. Locked the system up.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Bryank75

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Real gamers know what’s what, only paid shills can support such a disgraceful merger of might

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Reactions: PlacidusaX

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
As usual you have the complete wrong understanding of a situation.
Explain to me how a citizen lawsuit, filed under the Sherman Act, with the intention of blocking the buyout of Activision, is NOT a black eye for MS. The citizen suit backs up the FTC's assertion that this is a bad merger and shouldn't be allowed.

Only an utter muppet wouldn't see how bad it looks when this happens with the FTC challenging the merger already, and since the only individual who seems to agree with you is our board's resident shill, I am expecting this to be hilarious.

24 Jun 2022
So I'm watching through StopSkeletonsFromFighting's Xbox 360 super-video (this was one of the best series of vids on 360 documentaries before Power On hit), and in the part about HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, there's a VERY interesting quote from Michael Bay (yeah, that one) about MS's long-game with that format. See if you can spot any parallels:

What you don't understand is corporate politics. Microsoft wants both formats to fail so they can be heroes and make the world move to digital downloads. That is the dirty secret no one is talking about. That is why Microsoft is handing out $100 million checks to studios just to embrace the HD DVD and not the leading, and superior Blu Ray. They want confusion in the market until they perfect the digital downloads. Time will tell and you will see the truth.

Those were words from over 12 years ago, but tell me that doesn't sound eerily similar to what Microsoft are doing today with GamePass. Keep in mind (and I had to watch the video to remember this), Microsoft actually made arguably the first big push for digital downloads of movies & TV content on the 360...way back in 2006! This was years before the XBO and TV TV TV!, years before other services offered similar, years before Netflix switched to a digital model. Microsoft were already envisioning this as far back as 2006.

And, well, we see where the market is now when it comes to shows & film. Ironically the download-driven model Microsoft wanted to push was superseded almost immediately by cloud streaming of media content, but what's interesting is that Microsoft already knew that the HD DVD format was a dead horse in 2006 & 2007. Yet, they did a huge marketing push later on anyway just to prolong that format war. Just long enough to hopefully prevent any full cementing of Blu Ray as a standard before the advent of digital media downloads (at least as what MS envisioned), something they were ready to push full force with XBO.

Now, I don't think Microsoft sees GamePass the way they saw HD DVD. They genuinely believe in GamePass as the subscription model of the future. It's not some insincere thing like it was with HD DVD. However, it can be argued that the rights people would trade away going into a subscription model make it less attractive from a customer rights POV than the current model which currently dominates (direct sales), and that for publishers a subscription model makes less sense for Day 1 AAA releases or even a lot of AA or indie releases, hence why MS have had to buy up exclusivity for games to release in the service Day 1, and why, they would argue, it's necessary to just buy publishers altogether.

However, if trends repeat themselves, I'm willing to bet that Microsoft gets so caught up in trying to push GamePass and their version of subscription gaming as the future, that they completely miss out on the actual future of the industry's business model (whatever that turns out to be) and end up LTTP. Look at what happened with them and the shift to smartphones & tablets away from PC, or digital multimedia consumption not coming through direct downloads tied to a specific hardware's marketplace, but hardware-agnostic streaming services (Netflix, Disney+ etc). Or thinking that live TV integration & interactive enhancement was the future when it wasn't. Or lack of earlier investment in mobile gaming when it mattered.

Microsoft, IMO has a track record where they are so proactive in certain investments they deem to be "the future" that they end up having to be extremely reactive to what turns out to be the actual future of a given space. They struck gold with Windows and Azure, but their luck with Office came mainly thanks to Windows profits they used to weather out competition from other competitors like Lotus who eventually just ran out of money and had to fold. And, arguably, their growth with Azure was thanks to their Windows profits, but that's off a product they pulled off a big win in the '90s with, even if it was built off an OS they mostly lucked their way into market dominance with the decade prior.

So what are the chances that Microsoft ends up missing the forest from the trees with their version of a services-driven gaming future? Pretty high, actually, and that's even considering they do end up acquiring ABK. Personally I think the GamePass model, and Microsoft's vision for a subscription/services-driven future, isn't really compatible with the wider market. Companies like Sony will eventually have to genuinely find a form of that type of model into their stuff, their Day 1 releases, sooner or later, and I'm curious to see what they come up with.

Personally, I would just take an ala carte, per-game sub model route. It strikes a good balance, it can be implemented with purchased or cloud instances, it can be hardware-agnostic, and still guarantee healthy revenue & profit margins. Also allows for more customer spending flexibility, which is going to become increasingly important as time goes on. I still think Microsoft have a leg-up in terms of cloud capacity due to Azure, but it's not like they're the only option for cloud, and their model could be driven by too much vertical integration to actually end up working.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
No, they see the xbox console that way.
I think a lot of what we are seeing here is the endgame of Xbox. MS doesn't want to prop up the money-hemmoraging console hardware anymore if the buyout fails, and even if it doesn't. By making Xbox a brand across consoles and PC, they can phase out consoles entirely, and never have to admit defeat, because they didn't give up, they PIVOTED!

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I'm willing to bet that Microsoft gets so caught up in trying to push GamePass and their version of subscription gaming as the future, that they completely miss out on the actual future of the industry's business model (whatever that turns out to be) and end up LTTP. Look at what happened with them and the shift to smartphones & tablets away from PC, or digital multimedia consumption not coming through direct downloads tied to a specific hardware's marketplace, but hardware-agnostic streaming services (Netflix, Disney+ etc). Or thinking that live TV integration & interactive enhancement was the future when it wasn't. Or lack of earlier investment in mobile gaming when it mattered.

I've had a thought about Game Pass in particular for quite some time which, I think, goes along with what you're exploring. Everyone knows what Game Pass is and they've managed to get close to 30 million subscribers, which sounds impressive, but is only a fraction of the overall gaming population. A lot of the moves they're making - buying developers and publishers, enticement and coercion through pricing, etc. - are designed with swelling those sub count numbers. But, if it was a service that the majority of people genuinely wanted, they would already have it. I think this is a key point that MS is missing and throwing money at the issue is not going to resolve it.

Several statements made by MS execs have made it clear that they believe their vision should be the dominant model - and there seems to be a level of frustration that other companies, mostly Sony, are not following their lead in this matter. I'm thinking of the article where Phil complained about how Sony wants to grow bigger by shrinking XBox, for example. I wonder if they think Sony and Nintendo, by taking up the same model, would compel customers to adopt their vision of gaming (taking away choice is a tried and true MS method, after all). Or is it that they simply cannot see that the reason Game Pass numbers are stagnating is because it doesn't appeal to everyone and/or it helps usher in the concept of 'you will own nothing and be happy'? Or both.

As the acquisition fiasco carries on, and more info. has come to light, I've just been struck over and over again about how little introspection there is on MS' part. It's like they came up with these ideas - sub service, cloud gaming, etc. - and decided to make their model the dominant one, no matter what it takes while ignoring each and every warning sign that it's just not working out (on the scale they expect it to). It's been a bit on the bemusing side to say the least, but your post helped bring a little more clarity on the subject for me. Thank you for that.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I've had a thought about Game Pass in particular for quite some time which, I think, goes along with what you're exploring. Everyone knows what Game Pass is and they've managed to get close to 30 million subscribers, which sounds impressive, but is only a fraction of the overall gaming population. A lot of the moves they're making - buying developers and publishers, enticement and coercion through pricing, etc. - are designed with swelling those sub count numbers. But, if it was a service that the majority of people genuinely wanted, they would already have it. I think this is a key point that MS is missing and throwing money at the issue is not going to resolve it.

Several statements made by MS execs have made it clear that they believe their vision should be the dominant model - and there seems to be a level of frustration that other companies, mostly Sony, are not following their lead in this matter. I'm thinking of the article where Phil complained about how Sony wants to grow bigger by shrinking XBox, for example. I wonder if they think Sony and Nintendo, by taking up the same model, would compel customers to adopt their vision of gaming (taking away choice is a tried and true MS method, after all). Or is it that they simply cannot see that the reason Game Pass numbers are stagnating is because it doesn't appeal to everyone and/or it helps usher in the concept of 'you will own nothing and be happy'? Or both.

As the acquisition fiasco carries on, and more info. has come to light, I've just been struck over and over again about how little introspection there is on MS' part. It's like they came up with these ideas - sub service, cloud gaming, etc. - and decided to make their model the dominant one, no matter what it takes while ignoring each and every warning sign that it's just not working out (on the scale they expect it to). It's been a bit on the bemusing side to say the least, but your post helped bring a little more clarity on the subject for me. Thank you for that.
Microsoft’s classic arrogance rears its head again. They don’t ever have the intelligence and taste to wait until the time is right for something and to make sure they launch something as close to perfect as they can get, they try to force what they’re working on to be the next big thing, even if it is something that has no place in the market.

They also lack the insight to find a way to create that place for things, due to their insane levels of management by committee and focus groups.

24 Jun 2022

I think you hit the nail on the head: there's an air of frustration among Microsoft, I'm sure, over the constant doubt many raise about just how sustainable and future-proof the GamePass model actually is. But, the reason those doubts exist are because, for something Microsoft have kept saying represents the future of the industry in terms of how content will be consumed, they have never once provided hard evidence in the way that would unquestionably prove if they're right or not: revenue and profit figures.

They will go for literally any other metric but if you ask them to provide outright GamePass revenue & profit numbers, you won't get an answer. And if a company the size of Microsoft doesn't feel comfortable enough to provide those types of numbers or get the model to work where they can provide those numbers easily, why should they or anyone else expect companies much smaller than them in Sony & Nintendo, to hop onto a similar model, when they don't even have revenue and profit numbers that could assure them it's a venture that actually generates money in and of itself to where shifting away from the direct sales model makes sense?

When a lot of new platform holders in the '90s tried making consoles, they looked at the actual money Nintendo and Sega were bringing in, and were convinced it was a market worth getting into. Particularly with Sega, because they were the first company since Nintendo to actually have results showing that a non-Nintendo company could be a platform holder and be successful, with the Genesis/MegaDrive. The reason Microsoft even jumped in as a platform holder is because they saw the money Sony were bringing in with the PS1. So why does Microsoft think Sony or Nintendo would jump onto a subscription model as a primary business model when Microsoft have been coy, obfuscating GamePass revenue and profit figures so fiercely?

And I do think, as you alluded to, there's another type of frustration settling in over the fact that Microsoft are probably reaching a limit WRT how many customers they can get to sub to GamePass through just their own devices. If they want to reach the majority of people out there, they need Sony's audience, Nintendo's audience, Apple's audience etc. That may fit Microsoft's model as a whole these days, but it's not the best indicator of success for a gaming platform by any normal means.

Also as you were touching on, the fact Sony & Nintendo aren't taking up a GamePass-like model in exactly the same way Microsoft is doing it (i.e all 1P games Day 1 into the subscription service, or even doing Day 1 on other devices for all their games, like PC) is probably causing frustration with some at Microsoft as well but honestly what did they expect? Sony & Nintendo don't need to pivot to a services-oriented model, and if Microsoft can't convince more gamers and 3P devs/pubs that their approach is worth investing in, that is Microsoft's own problem to solve. Which they realized, and the extreme of that is in them buying massive 3P publishers.

Something Sony in particular would naturally take up issue with when they recognize a trend forming (it started with Zenimax, now it's ABK, who's going to be next after that?) and I'm sure if Microsoft continues down this path of publisher acquisitions, even Nintendo will eventually come in open opposition because while they aren't as reliant on 3P support, nonetheless there are SOME 3P publishers they do count on to support their systems and if Microsoft just keeps acquiring uncontested, they're going to cross paths with Nintendo eventually.

Microsoft’s classic arrogance rears its head again. They don’t ever have the intelligence and taste to wait until the time is right for something and to make sure they launch something as close to perfect as they can get, they try to force what they’re working on to be the next big thing, even if it is something that has no place in the market.

They also lack the insight to find a way to create that place for things, due to their insane levels of management by committee and focus groups.

I do want to take a moment to say that, personally, I think subscription models and cloud gaming DO have places in the gaming market. They are, or can be, helpful services & utilities to aid in QOL for the end user, but that's just the thing: they are always going to be at BEST, supportive or supplementary features in an ecosystem, never the main draw.

It genuinely feels like Microsoft doesn't understand that yet. Meanwhile, Sony & Nintendo can just sit back and watch, and find means of implementing subscription models and cloud gaming that services their existing business model well, rather than act as an overreactive measure to replace something that's clearly working very well as intended for them.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming

Jez Corden
For me, Sony's exclusivity deals just represent more evidence that Microsoft should be allowed to pick up Activision Blizzard. For Microsoft to compete with Nintendo and Sony, it needs more of those big-name franchises under its banner, and for consumers, getting them into Xbox Game Pass is the kind of value that only competition can deliver. Regulators' odd pandering to the status quo is quite literally harming competition — something they are supposed to foster.