Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

24 Jun 2022
IBM actually settled out of court for breach of contract with Sony on that one, as there were patents involved that IBM incorporated elements of in the Xenon chip for the 360. Sony declined to press charges against the IBM employees responsible, as a criminal trial's evidentiary process would have required trade secrets to be made public in the course of the trial.

I'm curious if MS were aware that IBM were providing them that information illegally, but decided to leverage that tech anyway. They could have at least gone to people higher up at IBM to get clarification on the status of the license with that technology, although I know IBM has an, ahem, dubious history of ignoring ethical responsibilities in pursuit of business.

It wouldn't surprise me though if Microsoft just decided to not look further into it and figured Sony wouldn't want to sue one of their own Cell R&D partners, or even be in the position to do so due to PS3 production costs & Blu-Ray costs. And like with IBM, Microsoft doesn't have an issue with skirting around legal bounds even if it's ethically dubious to do so.

It's crazy though to think that a lot of 360's technical capabilities only even existed because of work Sony had put in with other companies since 2001 (if not earlier). Meanwhile 360 development didn't even begin until 2003. A lot of times I feel something eerily similar has happened with the Xbox Series systems i.e I don't think development really began on them until 2018 (or at earliest 2017, around the time the One X was readying to come out), if you look back at the very first specs leak for the new consoles where they already mentioned two Xbox systems (one 4 TF the other 12 TF) and pegged PS5 in the middle at 8 TF.

That was January 2018 via a leak, IIRC.

I see what you mean, but I do think they sincerely believe MS is this consumer friendly, scrappy underdog fighting the evil powers of Sony and regulators. Hence why they parrot MS talking points without applying any critical thinking whatsoever. After all, MS would never steer them wrong. It's why you see Bloodborne being brought up as a point of conflict, for example. It would take just the tiniest bit of thinking to understand why it's never been ported to Xbox, but that would involve going against the narrative MS is trying to spin. I see this mindset in some of the more extreme fans and people like Jez. We see it as obvious astroturfing and shilling, but do they?

On the other hand, people like Jez 'rally the troops' so to speak and serve to obfuscate the real issues. Things like MS saying they had no incentive to make IPs exclusive with the Zenimax purchase and then doing exactly that when it was finalized. Or MS' past issues with anti-competitive practices and how their purchasing spree of developers and publishers is poised to be a continuation of that. So, you may be right. It's all a strategy devised by MS and carried out by their loyal shills. It was great to see the FTC see right through that and I can only hope they continue to do so.

Good points. Guys like Jez are basically useful impassioned idiots. I don't even think they remember the things they argued for within the span of a week; IIRC Jez isn't even much of an Xbox guy, they mainly play WOW on PC.

So they don't even have much a reason to argue on behalf of the Xbox brand as much as they do outside of their employer requiring it for articles. And, well, it gives a good fanbase to milk cash from.

Man where have I seen that name before.....OH RIGHT!

Imagine being "pro consumer" while being anti-union 🤣!!

Oh boy And they Cheer her on era

Of course they do. Young woman in a position they consider authoritative, selling themselves as a proponent of "pro-consumerism".

Even though like @TwistedSyn just posted, apparently isn't pro-workers. You know, they're only the people who actually make the games. But they can go screw themselves when it comes to rights, apparently, because it's gonna be "FREE" IN GAMEPASS 🤣.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
I haven't been to ResetEra in a long time and I plan never to go back. Though this doesn't surprise me in the least bit. They are all hypocrites over there at that cesspool.
Era retards reminds me of amirox, a virtua signaler how ended being a pedo,its life a lesson the more someone want someone to paint themselves as beacons of virtue the more skeletons they have on the closet

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I'm curious if MS were aware that IBM were providing them that information illegally, but decided to leverage that tech anyway. They could have at least gone to people higher up at IBM to get clarification on the status of the license with that technology, although I know IBM has an, ahem, dubious history of ignoring ethical responsibilities in pursuit of business.

It wouldn't surprise me though if Microsoft just decided to not look further into it and figured Sony wouldn't want to sue one of their own Cell R&D partners, or even be in the position to do so due to PS3 production costs & Blu-Ray costs. And like with IBM, Microsoft doesn't have an issue with skirting around legal bounds even if it's ethically dubious to do so.

It's crazy though to think that a lot of 360's technical capabilities only even existed because of work Sony had put in with other companies since 2001 (if not earlier). Meanwhile 360 development didn't even begin until 2003. A lot of times I feel something eerily similar has happened with the Xbox Series systems i.e I don't think development really began on them until 2018 (or at earliest 2017, around the time the One X was readying to come out), if you look back at the very first specs leak for the new consoles where they already mentioned two Xbox systems (one 4 TF the other 12 TF) and pegged PS5 in the middle at 8 TF.

That was January 2018 via a leak, IIRC.

Good points. Guys like Jez are basically useful impassioned idiots. I don't even think they remember the things they argued for within the span of a week; IIRC Jez isn't even much of an Xbox guy, they mainly play WOW on PC.

So they don't even have much a reason to argue on behalf of the Xbox brand as much as they do outside of their employer requiring it for articles. And, well, it gives a good fanbase to milk cash from.

Imagine being "pro consumer" while being anti-union 🤣!!

Of course they do. Young woman in a position they consider authoritative, selling themselves as a proponent of "pro-consumerism".

Even though like @TwistedSyn just posted, apparently isn't pro-workers. You know, they're only the people who actually make the games. But they can go screw themselves when it comes to rights, apparently, because it's gonna be "FREE" IN GAMEPASS 🤣.
MS knew, apparently it was an MS employee who encouraged IBM to implement any improvements Sony made to the PPC core design in the Xenon too.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Whilst giving XB crap all day, I wanna shout out the Surface hardware team. Those guys been the ones since 2012

Reactions: Bryank75

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Whilst giving XB crap all day, I wanna shout out the Surface hardware team. Those guys been the ones since 2012
The failure rate and performance degradation on Surface tablets in corporate deployments are horrifying. One major company I was on a project for ended up switching to a Dell tablet that made the Surface look like a joke and cost $300 per unit less.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Wait, did that chick just say "stop trying to make cloud gaming market happen" as if that's not exactly what microsoft's objective for the last 5 years has been? FFS Satya Nadella can't shut the fuck up about cloud this cloud that any time he's interviewed.

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Wait, did that chick just say "stop trying to make cloud gaming market happen" as if that's not exactly what microsoft's objective for the last 5 years has been? FFS Satya Nadella can't shut the fuck up about cloud this cloud that any time he's interviewed.
3 Billion gamers!!!

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Her tweets (and Activision response) seems they just watched Hoeg Law videos to get arguments.

She doesn't seem to be aware MS said the acquisition was all about cloud gaming, Amazon and Google. They also said Nintendo was not a direct competitor.

It's weird how I read all her arguments on gaming forums the weeks before. It's like copy/paste from GAF, Era and Twitter.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Her tweets (and Activision response) seems they just watched Hoeg Law videos to get arguments.

She doesn't seem to be aware MS said the acquisition was all about cloud gaming, Amazon and Google. They also said Nintendo was not a direct competitor.

It's weird how I read all her arguments on gaming forums the weeks before. It's like copy/paste from GAF, Era and Twitter.
I'm normally not a conspiratorial kind of person but that just screams 'paid astroturfing' or some sort of xbox-ambassador-type program where they all get together on discord to disseminate corporate talking points

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I'm normally not a conspiratorial kind of person but that just screams 'paid astroturfing' or some sort of xbox-ambassador-type program where they all get together on discord to disseminate corporate talking points
They used to do that. Of course they do that still.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
It’s not a conspiracy theory when MS has admitted under oath that they do exactly that.

That’s why all the main XBots on any board all say the exact same things all the time.

Last edited:
  • angry
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
the thread in era about this is crazy,not only they coordinate to harrass anyone againts the deal now they are doing damage controll for jez corden,delicious
If someone is against the deal they get dogpiled for several pages until they leave or get banned. They are using the same aggressive tactics from OldGAF in the SJW days.

Follow the hivemind or get banned.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
If someone is against the deal they get dogpiled for several pages until they leave or get banned. They are using the same aggressive tactics from OldGAF in the SJW days.

Follow the hivemind or get banned.

If they were real gamers, they would be enjoying their time off instead of trying to put social pressure on regulators and others to push an acquisition through...

I sincerely hope some of these people are paid because if they are not, it is super sad.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
If they were real gamers, they would be enjoying their time off instead of trying to put social pressure on regulators and others to push an acquisition through...

I sincerely hope some of these people are paid because if they are not, it is super sad.
For some of them, if they aren’t being paid to post what they do, they should be under professional supervision for their mental health.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75