Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

D

Deleted member 417

Requesting your competition to redact the offer that you proposed to them, so that the public don't think less of you is quite audacious.

I wonder why Sony agreed to keep it redacted? If the shoe was on the other foot, would Microsoft have redacted information for Sony?

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
@Zeroing
Hi, my name is Exanthus and I might be an alcoholic, however I am a pretty nice guy who enjoys games and am primarily on Xbox, however I will absolutely criticize the shit out of em when required. Which is pretty often.

Anyway, I hope everyone is having a great night/day.
Nice to meet you! I keep getting surprised! Am I dreaming?
We have quite a few friendly Xbox people on this forum,

@Exanthus properly being the most chill and most liked one of the forum.

We also have @MScarpa, a 95-year-old cat lady clone that has not changed her avatar yet.

@peter42O is also xbox centric as in "I DIE for you Phil" but is generally pleasant although to chat too,

@adamsapple is the biggest shill on the planet but he is friendly and well-mannered in his chats. (~i think he is probably a good guy in real life just very confused)

I am trying to think of more but those are the 4 that pop up in my mind atm
I have to say this forum does have a nice community.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
New statement from Sony. MS asked to redact the document because their deal is shit and they know it.

It's interesting that Sony made this statement considering they've been fairly reserved throughout all this. Perhaps they've grown tired of being made the scapegoat in MS' PR circus. Can't say I blame them, really. It's been tiresome watching MS blame everyone but themselves for the difficulties they're facing.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
It's interesting that Sony made this statement considering they've been fairly reserved throughout all this. Perhaps they've grown tired of being made the scapegoat in MS' PR circus. Can't say I blame them, really. It's been tiresome watching MS blame everyone but themselves for the difficulties they're facing.
It's been extremely rare to see Sony speak publicly about these proceedings, but in the rare instances they have, their message has been quite consistent. The offer MS extended to them sucks and puts them at a large disadvantage should they accept. They also get to pose the question "If the deal is as generous as MS and Activision claim, why do they want us to redact the details?"

Last edited:

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Requesting your competition to redact the offer that you proposed to them, so that the public don't think less of you is quite audacious.

I wonder why Sony agreed to keep it redacted? If the shoe was on the other foot, would Microsoft have redacted information for Sony?
Yeah but normally companies don’t want to talk publicly about money but MS is clearly trying to control the narrative, while Sony kept it redacted, so it doesn’t it doesn’t burn all the bridges, leave some sort of agreement.

I still think this backfired and Sony realized it was a mistake.

Yesterday I saw a tweet that MS had responded to, saying the fault is from Sony for not making PS plus “better”, clearly this is Sony’s response.
Very tame in comparison to MS aggressiveness.

D

Deleted member 417

Yeah but normally companies don’t want to talk publicly about money but MS is clearly trying to control the narrative, while Sony kept it redacted, so it doesn’t it doesn’t burn all the bridges, leave some sort of agreement.

I still think this backfired and Sony realized it was a mistake.

Yesterday I saw a tweet that MS had responded to, saying the fault is from Sony for not making PS plus “better”, clearly this is Sony’s response.
Very tame in comparison to MS aggressiveness.
Maybe Sony want to keep their nose clean and be whiter than white so they don't come across as someone who wants to "just block the deal".

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Maybe Sony want to keep their nose clean and be whiter than white so they don't come across as someone who wants to "just block the deal".

I think Sony has been pretty clear that they want the deal to be blocked. They're trying to protect their business and customer base. As well, when Jim Ryan said this regarding the initial 3 year offer:

"I hadn’t intended to comment on what I understood to be a private business discussion, but I feel the need to set the record straight because Phil Spencer brought this into the public forum," Ryan stated.

Source.

It may provide some insight into the different approaches of the two companies. Sony has afforded MS a level of respect regarding business discussions between the companies which has not been returned by MS. I prefer Sony's reticence over MS' theatrics, but can also see why they "feel the need to set the record straight' at times.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
There's simply no way this deal will go through without any concessions after all the scrutiny MS is facing from the UK. Also, there is simply no way at all that they'll let CoD become an exclusive.
That is what I thought but everyone on era was already celebrating and using festive gifs so I had a “are they crazy or am I the crazy one”
Also all the media is saying the deal will go through and siding with MS. It is hard to have a clear perspective on things!
Sony is just acting like any other company would act, trying to leave this out of the court of public opinion.
MS and Activision are the ones being loud and wanting everything to become a media circus.

You think Apple/Google/Amazon would do half the stuff MS would be doing? No. That’s not the way of doing business, especially when you have CMA, EC etc looking at your deal.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I think Sony has been pretty clear that they want the deal to be blocked. They're trying to protect their business and customer base. As well, when Jim Ryan said this regarding the initial 3 year offer:

Source.

It may provide some insight into the different approaches of the two companies. Sony has afforded MS a level of respect regarding business discussions between the companies which has not been returned by MS. I prefer Sony's reticence over MS' theatrics, but can also see why they "feel the need to set the record straight' at times.
It's abundantly clear that MS is unprofessional, just see how they treat their fanbase... they feed bs and makes them into deranged fanboys.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
That is what I thought but everyone on era was already celebrating and using festive gifs so I had a “are they crazy or am I the crazy one”
Also all the media is saying the deal will go through and siding with MS. It is hard to have a clear perspective on things!
Don't mind Era, they've been cheering for this like crazies. They know shit and only Idas has some sort of insight and he doesn't think the deal will go through easily.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I respect Sony's approach to busines. It is very mature and formal. I guess they agreed to redact the information because not doing so would be disrespectful.

I'm no expert but from what I understand redacting information in these cases is not unusual. Sony clarifying that it was MS who requested it, though, can help prevent a new narrative forming - something like how they offered Sony a great deal, but Sony refused because they're trying to sabotage the merger, for example. After all, if MS prefers the details to be redacted then perhaps it's not something that would gain public approval.

Also, mature and formal is a great way of putting it. I appreciate that too.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Just look at the names of the games in your own article.

Do you think those have the same sway as huge franchises like Final Fantasy, Silent Hill, huge AAA projects like Death Stranding or the heavily rumored MGS remake ?

No, absolutely not, and saying that High on Life or Valheim will have the same sway as FF16 is just arguing for arguments sake.

Come on.

The damage has been done at that point. If FF7 remake comes to Xbox later this year, it would be a welcome game but it would have little to no impact as its already a very old game by now and most anyone who wanted to, would have played it one way or the other.

This is the very definition of bleeding the competition.

You can choose to ignore it as "but it will come eventually" that won't change the effect they're having.

Why ? If the games were releasing day and date on both platforms, they would have had similar kinds of reception on both platforms.

Elden Rings has only a 9~ % sales split on PS vs Xbox (using UK as an example) where PS hardware is almost 2, 3 times more available than Xbox (cross-gen keep in mind).

Lego Star Wars only has a sales split of 5% between the platforms with the same hardware split.

Assuming that "X game would not have done anything on Xbox and only be relevant on PS" is just a fanboy mentality.

All of these points are heavily subjective fanboy drivel.

But that's not really surprising.

Seems like you haven't started reducing the shilling yet. But I'm hopeful ❤️

BTW, the whole SH series sold barely around 10 mil. over a 20 years period on multiple platforms. Don't know if you can call that huge. For comparison, the STALKER franchise sold over 15 mil. . Seems like MS moneyhatted a huge franchise, too, right?

There are also many platform exclusives (on both sides), because dev approached one of the platform holders AFTER being rejected by one of the others. Spider-Man, KOTR, Bayonetta for example.

Death Stranding is a first party game, don't know why you even mention it. It's equivalent to Forza Horizon before MS bought the studio.

Btw, why is it always about Sony? Nintendo having Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest for timed exclusivity is not a problem?

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
New statement from Sony. MS asked to redact the document because their deal is shit and they know it.

m$ is making shit up, that's clear as day, and things like this just proves that.

you clearly didn't understood something. M$ offered contract to Sony. but also m$ requested to redact that offer on those filings. CMA granted that. Sony have no objection why it shouldn't be redacted, it is literally confidential information, Sony did it professionally.

24 Jun 2022

I mean, MS just uploaded their EC presentation today:

Interestingly it's on the Xbox Direct channel, which seems to be French, not Microsoft's main page or even the official Xbox page.

Microsoft are really the only company that have been constantly running to the public on social media to appeal directly to them, even if that makes no sense to do and does nothing for how proceedings behind closed doors are actually going. If I knew there were people like Colteastwood, Jez Corden, Lulu etc. basically pushing yellow journalism to slander my brand in the public eye, I'd probably throw out a bone here or there to remind people what things really look like, too.

I respect Sony's approach to busines. It is very mature and formal. I guess they agreed to redact the information because not doing so would be disrespectful.

At the end of the day Sony is a Japanese company, and they don't tend to be open about turning what should be business handled in business environments, into a spectator sport on social media. Sometimes upper-level Japanese business execs can almost be a tad too cagey; I've been wanting to hear from some of Sega's from the '90s for example and they rarely do interviews to this day.

But the flipside to that is, they don't generally like things turning into a trashy public drama. Versus Microsoft, a non-Japanese company (American, to be specific), who are using Twitter and social media like its a public courtroom, and pays for ad space to push favor for the deal through with the Daily Mail, the UK equivalent of a tabloid magazine.

You can tell who has taste and who doesn't.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
We have quite a few friendly Xbox people on this forum,

@Exanthus properly being the most chill and most liked one of the forum.

We also have @MScarpa, a 95-year-old cat lady clone that has not changed her avatar yet.

@peter42O is also xbox centric as in "I DIE for you Phil" but is generally pleasant although to chat too,

@adamsapple is the biggest shill on the planet but he is friendly and well-mannered in his chats. (~i think he is probably a good guy in real life just very confused)

I am trying to think of more but those are the 4 that pop up in my mind atm

Proud of the Xbox community we have here, they are all really decent people.

They may have different opinions and at times things can get heated but they pretty much always keep their cool and avoid insults and that type of stuff.

Things are always growing but I am sure we have the best quality posters. <3