Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I agree but this Microsoft we're talking about. They've had to buy their way into every industry except the xbox, which they now have to buy out to keep this once successful product afloat.

Buying King as a way into Mobile makes sense, as they get CoD and Overwatch thrown in. They kill 2 birds with one stone; console and mobile games with one purchase.
They bought their way into the Xbox.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
If that was the goal, they would have outbid Activision and bought King years ago.
This is not about mobile, however.
but direction changes. King was bought 2016, it is almost 7 years.
maybe their cloud and direction changed so they need mobile to spread it more? no?

even Playstation changed in quite short time.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
They did by buying Halo from Apple. They'll do it again to enter the mobile market and stop Apple from taking the mobile industry
They didn’t buy Halo from Apple, they bought Bungie, who were independent in order to keep Halo off the PS2, which it had been shown for behind closed doors after the public reveal of the Mac version.

• Informative
D

Deleted member 417

They didn’t buy Halo from Apple, they bought Bungie, who were independent in order to keep Halo off the PS2, which it had been shown for behind closed doors after the public reveal of the Mac version.
Halo and Bungie go hand in hand. I remember seeing the early builds of Halo showing off the power of the Mac. I wasn't aware that a ps2 version was planned

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Halo and Bungie go hand in hand. I remember seeing the early builds of Halo showing off the power of the Mac. I wasn't aware that a ps2 version was planned
Duh.

Halo and Bungie go hand-in-hand because Bungie created the game and made the first four in the series. That’s not exactly a shocking revelation.

The original demo build of Halo was quite a bit more impressive than just being yet another FPS, too. But MS put a hard deadline on them to shop for Xbox launch, and that resulted in the half-baked, boring, pedestrian FPS that came out.

D

Deleted member 417

Duh.

Halo and Bungie go hand-in-hand because Bungie created the game and made the first four in the series. That’s not exactly a shocking revelation.
I was agreeing with you. No need for the snark 🤷‍♂️
The original demo build of Halo was quite a bit more impressive than just being yet another FPS, too. But MS put a hard deadline on them to shop for Xbox launch, and that resulted in the half-baked, boring, pedestrian FPS that came out.
Halo 1 was a good FPS on console and one of the best split screen co op fps' out at the time, alongside unreal and time splitters. The quality dropped with 2 and came back with Halo 3s 4 player large scale set pieces. Tank + banshee + ground assault was a lot of fun.

After that though? Yikes.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I was agreeing with you. No need for the snark 🤷‍♂️

Halo 1 was a good FPS on console and one of the best split screen co op fps' out at the time, alongside unreal and time splitters. The quality dropped with 2 and came back with Halo 3s 4 player large scale set pieces. Tank + banshee + ground assault was a lot of fun.

After that though? Yikes.
Halo 1 was half a game that they made you run through twice because they couldn’t build all the intended levels in time.

It also got lauded for AI advancements that were first seen in other games, primarily the first Medal of Honor on PS1, but if you look at it honestly and objectively, Halo was never what the gaming press hyped it up to be, and it certainly wasn’t half as good as what had initially been demonstrated at MacWorld 1999.

D

Deleted member 417

Halo 1 was half a game that they made you run through twice because they couldn’t build all the intended levels in time.
I played through a few times, I enjoyed it.

It also got lauded for AI advancements that were first seen in other games, primarily the first Medal of Honor on PS1, but if you look at it honestly and objectively, Halo was never what the gaming press hyped it up to be, and it certainly wasn’t half as good as what had initially been demonstrated at MacWorld 1999.
I never saw the impressions or hype of what it should have been. I was gutted after the Dreamcast was discontinued so for me the OG Xbox was great. The AI was more advanced than most but Unreal takes the crown for best AI in an fps IMO. Unreal (tournament?) On Dreamcast had machine learning, it was nuts. Epic nerfing the AI in Gears 2 signalled the end of Xbox and ended the best era in gaming.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I played through a few times, I enjoyed it.

I never saw the impressions or hype of what it should have been. I was gutted after the Dreamcast was discontinued so for me the OG Xbox was great. The AI was more advanced than most but Unreal takes the crown for best AI in an fps IMO. Unreal (tournament?) On Dreamcast had machine learning, it was nuts. Epic nerfing the AI in Gears 2 signalled the end of Xbox and ended the best era in gaming.
Halo was originally a hybrid of an RTS and a third-person squad-based shooter. You’d begin a skirmish in the RTS view, and had the ability to take the perspective of any commander unit, whereupon you’d swop down to the TPS viewpoint to take direct control and issue per-unit commands to the rest of the squad. At any time, you could go back to the gods-eye viewpoint and go into any other squad leader you wanted to, or just hang back as an eye in the sky and run things that way.

Halo was refitted into an FPS using the existing engine Bungie built for the Marathon games, which were some of the best FPS games of the mid-90s, with the second and third entries even getting ported to PC from their original Mac incarnations.

Last edited:
  • Informative
D

Deleted member 417

Halo was originally a hybrid of an RTS and a third-person squad-based shooter. You’d begin a skirmish in the RTS view, and had the ability to take the perspective of any commander unit, whereupon you’d swop down to the TPS viewpoint to take direct control and issue per-unit commands to the rest of the unit. At any time, you could go back to the gods-eye viewpoint and go into any other squad leader you wanted to, or just hang back as an eye in the sky and run things that way.

That sounds very cool. I'd like to see more hybrids like that.
Halo was refitted into an FPS using the existing engine Bungie built for the Marathon games, which were some of the best FPS games of the mid-90s, with the second and third entries even getting ported to PC from their original Mac incarnations.

I missed out on the marathon games. Maybe Bungie will do remakes in VR for Sony?

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
That sounds very cool. I'd like to see more hybrids like that.

I missed out on the marathon games. Maybe Bungie will do remakes in VR for Sony?
There’s an open source engine for the Marathons called Aleph One that will run on anything, and you can get the game files pretty easily to play in it. I highly recommend them.

The real Halo, the one that died when MS bought Bungie and chained them to the Xbox, would have been revolutionary and would no doubt have deserved the hype that the FPS was showered with.

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I think the pre hearings for the FTC case started yesterday, wondering when we will start seeing more details...

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75