Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
If other big tech is partially behind this push we'll know sooner or later as this gets to court. Amazon would be an easy guess since they've been fighting MS tooth and nail lately for gov contracts on the cloud side and much more, to the point where it's gotten bitter..... while also trying to kickstart their gaming push with ex-MS/Xbox employees. No lost love. But it would be interesting to see if Apple, META or Google are throwing their weight around too - pretty sure Stadia's failure is fresh in Google's mouth. History with Apple is self explanatory but they too wouldn't like to see Microsoft having control of big content creators in the mobile space, on top of what MS already owns. The simple question Apple would ask themselves is; why is Microsoft even dabbling in mobile? Obviously something amiss. The documents will tell the tale, without explicitly having to mention these actors. The obvious front is Sony, who actually stands to lose most upfront in a direct way right away but ain't nobody in that lot cares.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
If other big tech is partially behind this push we'll know sooner or later as this gets to court. Amazon would be an easy guess since they've been fighting MS tooth and nail lately for gov contracts on the cloud side and much more, to the point where it's gotten bitter..... while also trying to kickstart their gaming push with ex-MS/Xbox employees. No lost love. But it would be interesting to see if Apple, META or Google are throwing their weight around too - pretty sure Stadia's failure is fresh in Google's mouth. History with Apple is self explanatory but they too wouldn't like to see Microsoft having control of big content creators in the mobile space, on top of what MS already owns. The simple question Apple would ask themselves is; why is Microsoft even dabbling in mobile? Obviously something amiss. The documents will tell the tale, without explicitly having to mention these actors. The obvious front is Sony, who actually stands to lose most upfront in a direct way right away but ain't nobody in that lot cares.
Im sure a few big tech execs raised an eyebrow at Microsofts hostile tone. "You blocked our deal and we were much more compliant and polite but youre oing to let microsoft act this way, what gives?" Thatd be an interesting phone call.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Im sure a few big tech execs raised an eyebrow at Microsofts hostile tone. "You blocked our deal and we were much more compliant and polite but youre oing to let microsoft act this way, what gives?" Thatd be an interesting phone call.
Nobody but MS is dumb enough to try to mean mug the fucking FTC.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Nobody but MS is dumb enough to try to mean mug the fucking FTC.
Thats a point I had not considered either. If microsft can just brute force their way into buying companies, even in defiance of the ftc whats stopping anyone esle from acting that way? They are talking about clsong the deal without the ftcs approval whats stopping other companies from behaving the same? Microsft was hoping the EU and cma would give them approval to pull that stunt but the cma delayed until april, but according to xbots its a good thing the cma did that.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Thats a point I had not considered either. If microsft can just brute force their way into buying companies, even in defiance of the ftc whats stopping anyone esle from acting that way? They are talking about clsong the deal without the ftcs approval whats stopping other companies from behaving the same? Microsft was hoping the EU and cma would give them approval to pull that stunt but the cma delayed until april, but according to xbots its a good thing the cma did that.
They CANNOT legally buy Activision if the FTC gets a court ruling that they aren’t allowed to.

It really is that simple.

Violating that order would result in Microsoft losing their incorporated status and subject the executives to criminal charges.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
It was quite uncharacteristic in these matters to see a high profile multi-billion (trillion in this case) corp fumble the optics with certain statements after the FTC announced this. Completely unprofessional optic management from what should be top pros - extremely well paid too. Whether that has an effect on outcome we shall see, but it does say something about quality personal.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
MS and the work union is making a full page ad to manipulate the FTC and everyone else about the Activision deal. Disgusting with a clear agenda. I guess that's why they modified their wording about the lawsuit yesterday.

Yossarian

15 Jul 2022

Microsoft won. Cope and seethe snoys

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
MS and the work union is making a full page ad to manipulate the FTC and everyone else about the Activision deal. Disgusting with a clear agenda. I guess that's why they modified their wording about the lawsuit yesterday.

With the FTC having already said they are not trying this case in the court of public opinion, MS is really digging their own grave with these stunts.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022

It's been remarkable to see how MS has made every attempt to curry public opinion (evil Sony bullying them, we'll put CoD EVERYWHERE!!, MS supports worker rights and unions, etc.), while simultaneously antagonizing the people they really need to convince (regulators). It makes me wonder if they are setting things up for public sympathy because the deal is in danger (more than we know). Or perhaps they're just unwisely listening to someone's bad strategy.

Either way, for the non-gullible, it's been interesting watching this MS fueled train wreck.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
I mean, after making a public statement like the one they did (we tried to give peace a chance - the sheer hubris), there is no going back. "Oh, that was a mistake, we didn't mean to!"

After someone comes at you threatening you, and then they tell you "oh, I didn't really mean that", would you trust them or take what they say seriously?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I mean, after making a public statement like the one they did (we tried to give peace a chance - the sheer hubris), there is no going back. "Oh, that was a mistake, we didn't mean to!"

After someone comes at you threatening you, and then they tell you "oh, I didn't really mean that", would you trust them or take what they say seriously?
It’s like they figured they would get away with saying it, then realized how badly they fucked up, and are hoping they can whine their way out of the spanking they earned.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
It’s like they figured they would get away with saying it, then realized how badly they fucked up, and are hoping they can whine their way out of the spanking they earned.
It's hilarious to me that you guys can't understand that they DELIBERATELY made those "accusations" and that they DELIBERATELY retracted them.

But I forgot.. you're smarter than MS' team of lawyers...

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It's hilarious to me that you guys can't understand that they DELIBERATELY made those "accusations" and that they DELIBERATELY retracted them.

They're so smart they almost got themselves destroyed over fucking Netscape...

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022

4D chess ladies and gentlemen.

Because saying something stupid and then trying to retract it clearly is deeply strategic.

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
4D chess ladies and gentlemen.

Because saying something stupid and then trying to retract it clearly is deeply strategic.
They didn't say anything stupid or wrong. You know there are other firms accusing the FTC of being unconstitutional right now as well, right?

You also know it wasn't just Microsoft's lawyers right.... but also Activision/Blizzard's lawyers.................... oh yea... I'm sure two teams of some of the biggest law firms BOTH made that same mistake... and neither consulted the other..... :rolleyes:

MS and Activision meant what they said and did so purposefully... I'm betting that positive developments have since prompted them to amend their "mistake" and they're back to being open to negotiation.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
They didn't say anything stupid or wrong. You know there are other firms accusing the FTC of being unconstitutional right now as well, right?

You also know it wasn't just Microsoft's lawyers right.... but also Activision/Blizzard's lawyers.................... oh yea... I'm sure two teams of some of the biggest law firms BOTH made that same mistake... and neither consulted the other..... :rolleyes:

MS and Activision meant what they said and did so purposefully... I'm betting that positive developments have since prompted them to amend their "mistake" and they're back to being open to negotiation.
if they didn't say anything stupid or wrong, why they retracting? this is just rhetorical question.. never mind.. 😂

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
they think the real world its like the forums where a minor but very militant xbox fanbase are very vocal

Last edited:
OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

You do know that even if the SCOTUS ruled the FTC to be unconstitutional there's still the European Comission and the CMA, one of them at least whose had no problem blocking deals the FTC agreed to before.

And if you think billion dollar companies with shit loads of money don't have moron lawyers... Oh boy. That's what you get for being a little foot soldier and not understanding corporate environments.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
To add upon the above.

The big law firm's and the very high paid lawyers recommended MS to play the part of the bullied underdog with a rags to riches story. When they saw that that failed, they moved on to being what they actually are, they adopted the bully strategy. Now we're on the hail Mary, where they have nothing else and are just praying this passes.

There's a reason why specific news have been released and public discourse has been shaped both via select magazines and their minion army of influencers. They have been changing their tune publicly before any of the "damaging" news of delays, sometimes just a few hours before. They know before us, as they should, of what's happening.

The problem is that by doing this they are running a very risky strategy. If the CMA, FTC or Euro Comission want to actually pay attention, they will see that the grassroots movement goes way deeper and not only they'll ask Microsoft for more information if a court battle ensues, but they will also information about their marketing affairs. This could unravel all their astroturfing efforts and it's something XBOX can't afford.