Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
To add upon the above.

The big law firm's and the very high paid lawyers recommended MS to play the part of the bullied underdog with a rags to riches story. When they saw that that failed, they moved on to being what they actually are, they adopted the bully strategy. Now we're on the hail Mary, where they have nothing else and are just praying this passes.

There's a reason why specific news have been released and public discourse has been shaped both via select magazines and their minion army of influencers. They have been changing their tune publicly before any of the "damaging" news of delays, sometimes just a few hours before. They know before us, as they should, of what's happening.

The problem is that by doing this they are running a very risky strategy. If the CMA, FTC or Euro Comission want to actually pay attention, they will see that the grassroots movement goes way deeper and not only they'll ask Microsoft for more information if a court battle ensues, but they will also information about their marketing affairs. This could unravel all their astroturfing efforts and it's something XBOX can't afford.
Honestly, the way things are going now, Microsoft should, if they were behaving reasonably, drop the merger and spin off their gaming interests as a separate, independent entity, as that would be the only way for them to avoid having all the dirt come out in court.

After what they put on the court record in support of Epic’s suit against Apple last year, and being caught in the Bethesda buyout as acting in distinctly anticompetitive ways, they created a situation where tangling with the FTC while the same executives are in place guaranteed big trouble for themselves.

In the Epic case, Microsoft made it public record that they have never turned a profit on Xbox, only false profits on Xbox Live when viewed separately from hardware and software. That shows a 20-year pattern of trying to take over a market by dumping product AND lying about it to shareholders and the SEC.

Bort

8 Jan 2023
if they didn't say anything stupid or wrong, why they retracting? this is just rhetorical question.. never mind.. 😂
Is this an honest question?

My partner (Canadian, but works in Australia) works in contract law, and often sends things, only to backtrack, or 'without prejudice' just to kick the hornets nest. The more you force someone to spread their resources, or not understand your modus operandi, the better. Especially if you can get Politicians and douches to weigh in. (The only Poli speaking up, of which I remember is Elizabeth Warren. But then the unions emboldened and she went radio silent? I'm not super into recent USA political stuff, other than the speaker of the house thing, and Unions differentials between USA and other countries are treated with varied animosity)

Also, I feel like some of you don't understand the FTC appeals process. The best thing that the FTC have going for them at the moment, is draaaaggggiiinnngggg things out.

70 Billion left in an account, unusable, is a detrimental thing to share holders.

I don't entirely feel comfortable with Activision being sold (outside of unions being brought in, potentially Kotick being tucked off, and all the SA stuff being dealt with... and I wish Blizz got spun off into its own thing again) but the FTC will fail after the second review if the SC sticks to established law.

England is the one that will take this deal down.

(Also, Netscape? Apply that case to today's trade market...)

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I don't entirely feel comfortable with Activision being sold (outside of unions being brought in, potentially Kotick being tucked off, and all the SA stuff being dealt with... and I wish Blizz got spun off into its own thing again) but the FTC will fail after the second review if the SC sticks to established law.

I don't like the unions argument. Nothing prevents ABK employees from unionising this very moment, they are free to do so. Saying that Microsoft, a company that has fired employees from unionising not even half decade ago, is somehow the saviour (I know that's not your argument) is just twisted and immoral. Actually, were it not this very lawsuit, Microsoft would be firing the same people that just unionised there.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Is this an honest question?

My partner (Canadian, but works in Australia) works in contract law, and often sends things, only to backtrack, or 'without prejudice' just to kick the hornets nest. The more you force someone to spread their resources, or not understand your modus operandi, the better. Especially if you can get Politicians and douches to weigh in. (The only Poli speaking up, of which I remember is Elizabeth Warren. But then the unions emboldened and she went radio silent? I'm not super into recent USA political stuff, other than the speaker of the house thing, and Unions differentials between USA and other countries are treated with varied animosity)

Also, I feel like some of you don't understand the FTC appeals process. The best thing that the FTC have going for them at the moment, is draaaaggggiiinnngggg things out.

70 Billion left in an account, unusable, is a detrimental thing to share holders.

England is the one that will take this deal down.

(Also, Netscape? Apply that case to today's trade market...)
Why would England in particular be the issue?

Bort

8 Jan 2023
Why would England in particular be the issue?
The appeal process is self adjudicated without a federal council.

It would be like complaining to your boss about your boss.

Edit; It would be like complaining to your boss about your boss, then your boss tells you "nah" then you get to complain to your boss again, but they can only review on the wording of "nah"

Edit 2: sorry, I meant the UK, not just England

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
The appeal process is self adjudicated without a federal council.

It would be like complaining to your boss about your boss.

Edit; It would be like complaining to your boss about your boss, then your boss tells you "nah" then you get to complain to your boss again, but they can only review on the wording of "nah"

Edit 2: sorry, I meant the UK, not just England
I see, but that assumes they say no this first round. I know they recently extended the review period, but I'm not sure if that means they are ok with the deal or not.

Bort

8 Jan 2023
I see, but that assumes they say no this first round. I know they recently extended the review period, but I'm not sure if that means they are ok with the deal or not.
I think it means everyone enjoyed too much booze, and used a strangers foreskin as a shotglass...

Wait, I mean... there's a bunch of information, their survey came back whack with ways more than they expected, and they have to get back into work mode, but it's hard...

I've never used a foreskin as a shotglass... why do you keep bringing that up?
🤐😛

I, personally, think they are against it. But I think the Euro Com are for it, and FTC will be shot down.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I don't like the unions argument. Nothing prevents ABK employees from unionising this very moment, they are free to do so. Saying that Microsoft, a company that has fired employees from unionising not even half decade ago, is somehow the saviour (I know that's not your argument) is just twisted and immoral. Actually, were it not this very lawsuit, Microsoft would be firing the same people that just unionised there.

There is an effort being made at ABK to unionize and has been for a while. People are working to make it happen which is why I also find the whole concept of MS being the savior to be twisted and distasteful. No one needs MS to rescue them and pretending so diminishes all the efforts of the employees up to this point and in future.

• they're_right_you_know

Bort

8 Jan 2023
There is an effort being made at ABK to unionize and has been for a while. People are working to make it happen which is why I also find the whole concept of MS being the savior to be twisted and distasteful. No one needs MS to rescue them and pretending so diminishes all the efforts of the employees up to this point and in future.
Their board has hired union busters. So... I don't really agree with this.

Is this a largely USA based forum? Union seems like a dirty word there. (And it's one of the few countries where hiring to prevent a union is an industry?)

When Acti hired the "enhanced interrogation technique" lady herself, Frances F. Townsend, I knew they were serious about controlling shit (and replacing Blizzard leadership with Activision goons. $10 says same thing happens to Bungie at Sony)

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022

Is this a largely USA based forum? Union seems like a dirty word there. (And it's one of the few countries where hiring to prevent a union is an industry?)

When Acti hired the "enhanced interrogation technique" lady herself, Frances F. Townsend, I knew they were serious about controlling shit (and replacing Blizzard leadership with Activision goons. $10 says same thing happens to Bungie at Sony)
Believing MS would change anything for the better is incredibly naive to say the least. In US, even union reps themselves often collude with corporations.

Pointing out Sony would also act against unionization is irrelevant. Of course they do, like any other corporation. Nobody is trying to paint them as righteous.

Last edited:
  • brain

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022

What does their board have to do with the employees' efforts to unionize? Kotick and the rest of the top brass are fighting against it and the employees are fighting for it. This is ongoing and has been for a while.

Edit: Here's a little more information on what they're dealing with if you're interested.

Last edited:

Bort

8 Jan 2023
Believing MS would change anything for the better is incredibly naive to say the least. In US, even union reps themselves often collude with corporations.
...They have support from the CWA, and days ago...

Microsoft recognises first labour union in US​

They are union agnostic (prompted, and seemingly only in certain sectors? Why only QA?)

And now that CA passed pay transparency, seeing blizzard underpaying people by tens of thousands right now, it's just icky.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
...They have support from the CWA, and days ago...

Microsoft recognises first labour union in US​

They are union agnostic (prompted, and seemingly only in certain sectors? Why only QA?)

And now that CA passed pay transparency, seeing blizzard underpaying people by tens of thousands right now, it's just icky.

That's not the first one.

Reactions: Bort

Bort

8 Jan 2023
What does their board have to do with the employees' efforts to unionize? Kotick and the rest of the top brass are fighting against it and the employees are fighting for it. This is ongoing and has been for a while.

Edit: Here's a little more information on what they're dealing with if you're interested.

I know, but also, a few months earlier...

Activision Blizzard illegally withheld raises from unionizing workers​

Look at their behaviour previously, look at their actions, and who they hired for express purposes. There is a reason why they were even in a vulnerable position to be bought to begin with. Look up their busting efforts.

I can't wait until their staff arbitration clause disolves. I don't get why they are legal at all. If your coworkers are creeps, expose that shit. (I say this as an employer, who encourages his staff to join our union)

Bort

8 Jan 2023
That's not the first one.

Sorry, the quote was about MS's first union for QA. Not for ALL QA in the USA. I'll go through my history and add in the link after brunch.

Xo

Edit: also, does anyone else feel like QA is massively done offshore, and paid tuppence? I feel like for every 5 that make it into the credits, there is probably 200 that are contracted.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I know, but also, a few months earlier...

Activision Blizzard illegally withheld raises from unionizing workers​

Look at their behaviour previously, look at their actions, and who they hired for express purposes. There is a reason why they were even in a vulnerable position to be bought to begin with. Look up their busting efforts.

I can't wait until their staff arbitration clause disolves. I don't get why they are legal at all. If your coworkers are creeps, expose that shit. (I say this as an employer, who encourages his staff to join our union)

Yep, all that stuff is just terrible. And the employees, right now, with the aid of outside organizations are fighting against all that to assert their right to form a Union. They have had setbacks and made some notable strides too. That's why the idea that all they need is MS to swoop in and make it all better is diminishing to their struggle.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Sorry, the quote was about MS's first union for QA. Not for ALL QA in the USA. I'll go through my history and add in the link after brunch.

Xo

Edit: also, does anyone else feel like QA is massively done offshore, and paid tuppence? I feel like for every 5 that make it into the credits, there is probably 200 that are contracted.

I'm not sure about the offshore bit, but from what I've read QA seems to be massively underpaid, overworked, and underappreciated all across the board in video game companies.

Bort

8 Jan 2023
That's why the idea that all they need is MS to swoop in and make it all better is diminishing to their struggle.
I somewhat agree with you, but this sentence makes me feel icky. Anyway, I hope to chat again later! I need to enter 'business slut brunch' mode.

Have a great day!