Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

D

Deleted member 417

Xbox is massive now (assuming they buy ABK). You seem to be in denial.
lol, lmao even.

• They had 27 studios and released nothing.
  • The Series S is an anchor around MS's neck and devs are starting to just not bother making games for Xbox and that will only accelerate as the gen goes on.
  • The series X is borked and doesn't work right. It can't even beat a 'weaker' console.
  • They have no VR solution
  • They have only released 1 exclusive on their 2 flagship consoles.
  • They can't sell them
  • They started this gen worse than the xbone one and that was the worst launch of an electronics product in decades
  • They're dead in Japan, Dying in Europe.

But none of that matters because they now own ABK? What do ABK have outside of Diablo that could even be classed as a game? WoW's peak has passed, CoD is only popular because it went FtP, THPS remake was a disaster, Spyro is a dead franchise, Overwatch screwed the pooch. What are they going to do next? Remake Guitar Hero?

You also say it as if pushing for cloud and Gamepass isn't even worse than trying to push Xboxes.

It is worse, this is what I'm trying to get across. It's worse, it's a bigger rot BUT it will attract the worst kind of gamers to it, leaving us, hopefully, finally, in peace.
MS changes direction all the time, they could easily just settle for the console market when their cloud and game subscription dreams come crashing.
What % of the market are they settling for now? 50% in NA and 10% WW? What will they settle for after they abandon the cloud market like they did traditional and casual xbox fans?

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
lol, lmao even.

• They had 27 studios and released nothing.
  • The Series S is an anchor around MS's neck and devs are starting to just not bother making games for Xbox and that will only accelerate as the gen goes on.
  • The series X is borked and doesn't work right. It can't even beat a 'weaker' console.
  • They have no VR solution
  • They have only released 1 exclusive on their 2 flagship consoles.
  • They can't sell them
  • They started this gen worse than the xbone one and that was the worst launch of an electronics product in decades
  • They're dead in Japan, Dying in Europe.

But none of that matters because they now own ABK? What do ABK have outside of Diablo that could even be classed as a game? WoW's peak has passed, CoD is only popular because it went FtP, THPS remake was a disaster, Spyro is a dead franchise, Overwatch screwed the pooch. What are they going to do next? Remake Guitar Hero?

It is worse, this is what I'm trying to get across. It's worse, it's a bigger rot BUT it will attract the worst kind of gamers to it, leaving us, hopefully, finally, in peace.

What % of the market are they settling for now? 50% in NA and 10% WW? What will they settle for after they abandon the cloud market like they did traditional and casual xbox fans?
Well, if they fuck it all up great, I would just like to see more from Sony to be confident about that. I'm not a big fan of the Sony we started to see since about 2018.

The biggest wins so far for PS5 are all hardware related, it's a better console, with a better gamepad, VR support, non proprietary SSD. Creny delivered.

On the software front tho... too many crossgens, TLoP I remake, PC ports, to many sequels, too few announcements, no Bloodborne remastered, no reinvented Uncharted, one new IPs I can think of (Returnal), too much talk about GaaS and Factions nowhere to be seen...

I need a push like the "greatness awaits" one, show me the good stuff that is on the way.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 417

Well, if they fuck it all up great, I would just like to see more from Sony to be confident about that. I'm not a big fan of the Sony we started to see since about 2018. The biggest wins so far for PS5 are hardware related.
Sony are confident. You can tell when they're confident because they say nothing and let the hardware and software do the talking.

Moving forward, people need to see MS in the same way they see Nintendo; doing their own thang with little to no impact on the other guys.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Xbox is massive now (assuming they buy ABK). You seem to be in denial.

You also say it as if pushing for cloud and Gamepass isn't even worse than trying to push Xboxes. MS changes direction all the time, they could easily just settle for the console market when their cloud and game subscription dreams come crashing and if they find themselves in a favorable position again next gen.

Horizon is the most uninspiring Sony IP rigth now, getting milked to death. God of War Ragnarok despite being a great game was a let down for me compared to the 2018 game, it felt really held back by being crossgen. Spider-man 2 and Wolverine are probably going to be pretty good but also nothing that gets me as excited as the new IPs or reboots we got used to in the PS3 and PS4 gens.

The best thing going on for Sony right now is FFXVI, that gets me hyped up.
Someone is banned and the next day someone joins. It is the cycle and it goes on!
This forum is turning into UFO Grendizer. We beat the monster then they send the next one.

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
This is going to sound like I am picking on you, I'm not.

When I see a line of reasoning like this, the first question that comes to my mind is "has this person played video games or interacted with people who play games in real life?".

Your logic is alien to me. A vastly, hugely unpopular console, so unpopular it is being outsold, week in, week out, will suddenly become more popular because games that used to be on Playstation are now on Xbox? That's not how the market works and especially not mid-gen.

Any games closed off to Microsoft ecosystem, becomes a dead franchise:

Dead rising
Halo
Perfect Dark
Any game made by Rare

Just off of the top of my head.
Yeah, Sea of Thieves sure is fucking dead. Halo and Gears? Never got a chance to live. Maybe its just you being from a different part of the world but its you who sounds like an outer space alien to me. Where I live, Xbox is the default, retarded as that is.

China blocked (which is important region for Blizzards mobile gaming), FTC sued and blocked too. CMA and EU can still deny the whole deal or force them to sign concessions.
China was actually one of the first to let the deal through, unless I've slipped into the Bearenstain universe.

Reactions: Deleted member 417
D

Deleted member 417

Yeah, Sea of Thieves sure is fucking dead. Halo and Gears? Never got a chance to live. Maybe its just you being from a different part of the world but its you who sounds like an outer space alien to me. Where I live, Xbox is the default, retarded as that is.
I'm not from the US, which is MS' only dominant market because it's an American product.

As for your examples, Halo is dead, it died when Bungie left. Gears is dead and I say that with a heavy heart because I loved the original and thought Gears 4 had the best MP since Gears 1. The coalition were a very talented team.

You're right though, Sea of Thieves is doing well, I will give them that. One game from twenty+ studios is not a good batting average though.

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
Actually AB mobile stuff might be more important when i think about it. They ll get 200M or so mobile users on azzure so they can boast to share holders and get bonuses (management). Also they ll have some software for their mobile store they plan to start. Sure, cod ll add few millions of gp subs. But majority of AB ips re irrelevant to sony. They didnt even mention them in all of this circus only cod.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
[/QUOTE]
I'm not from the US, which is MS' only dominant market because it's an American product.

As for your examples, Halo is dead, it died when Bungie left. Gears is dead and I say that with a heavy heart because I loved the original and thought Gears 4 had the best MP since Gears 1. The coalition were a very talented team.

You're right though, Sea of Thieves is doing well, I will give them that. One game from twenty+ studios is not a good batting average though.
Xbox also does well enough in Canada, UK, other places like that. And its not "dead" in Europe, just a distinctly minority choice. This gives Microsoft something like a 1 to 2 ratio to Sony. Thats not dead, not every neighborhood is your neighborhood.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022

Yeah that will happen whatever way this deal goes through.

Playstation makes a huge chunk of activisions revenue, being hostile against playstation you end up risk losing a large userbase who may not follow you to other platforms.

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Screenshot-20230328-235333-Chrome.jpg

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Hmm, yeah the Xbox fanboys on there definitely want Xbox to get a few Japanese publishers just to spite Playstation, but I'm more interested in the implications for whether or not Sony would be allowed to pick up Square for example. It doesn't say whether they consider Nintendo to be in direct competition with Sony and Microsoft over there. If they are, Sony should be allowed to buy publishers as well, since they wouldn't be considered a monopoly over there.

It is worrying that there seems to be a precedent being set that MS can buy whatever they want simply because they're less popular.

Reactions: Bryank75

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Hmm, yeah the Xbox fanboys on there definitely wsnt Xbox to get a few Japanese publishers just to spite Playstation, but I'm more interested in the implications for whether or not Sony would be allowed to pick up Square for example. It doesn't say whether they consider Nintendo to be in direct competition with Sony and Microsoft over there. If they are, Sony should be allowed to buy publishers as well, since they wouldn't be considered a monopoly over there.
Of course they would be allowed. People tend to forget that Microsoft bought two big publishers in a row! Zenimax was already big (many studios in Europe and North America, one in Japan) and now they are possibly getting the biggest pub on earth! Market share is only temporary which can always change within time. This is also a question of assets and IPs. I think if Sony would announce this year Square Enix, they would get little to no resistance. Nintendo has already a tremendously high market share and Xbox isn’t even affected by this. Sony would just need to present how low the numbers for Japanese games on Xbox were. I also believe if they would go after Capcom in a couple of years they would getting it approved, they would probably only need to make the concessions that Monster Hunter would be available for Nintendo systems. Two Japanese pubs for Sony would realistic, to get them approved.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Market share has rarely been mentioned as a factor from any of the regulators

Sony's argument will always been that any acquisition they make is to protect their business against the $80 billion in acquisitions that their direct competitor has made

Even Hoeg has spoken about this being a valid argument to regulators

Reactions: Bryank75

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Of course they would be allowed. People tend to forget that Microsoft bought two big publishers in a row! Zenimax was already big (many studios in Europe and North America, one in Japan) and now they are possibly getting the biggest pub on earth! Market share is only temporary which can always change within time. This is also a question of assets and IPs. I think if Sony would announce this year Square Enix, they would get little to no resistance. Nintendo has already a tremendously high market share and Xbox isn’t even affected by this. Sony would just need to present how low the numbers for Japanese games on Xbox were. I also believe if they would go after Capcom in a couple of years they would getting it approved, they would probably only need to make the concessions that Monster Hunter would be available for Nintendo systems. Two Japanese pubs for Sony would realistic, to get them approved.
Imo they should go for capcom first, keep the cheques coming at square enix and keep them in their pocket for a future acqusition.

Also massivley increase their stake in kadokawa aswell

Suffice to say they need to make their move fast.