Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Bro, they’re going to. The 98 percent high end market share is the battering ram they needed. Now they have have congressmen to help. Sony completely over played their hand and inadvertently made it so Microsoft can get their foot in the door.
The US House is not involved in trade policy, 10 members of congress is less than 1 in 40, the US trade rep doesn't have to act on letters like this other than writing a reply to them, Microsoft's/the concerned Congressmen's "case" is really weak, few Japanese people have ever chosen an Xbox in their market, with no anti-competitive measures neccissary, the current clinate in Washington, DC is openly hostile to tech companies (except folks from Seattle and the bay area,) Xbox's status as a "US import" is really questionable since they are made in China, Sony's exclusivity agreements in Japan, specifically, are aimed at Nintendo, which has a dominant position in that market, the 98 percent figure won't pass muster either since a Japanese court or trade body would include Nintendo's market-share, Xbox stopped investing in Japan over a decade ago-the actual cause of their low marketshare, etc. There's a billion reasons why this letter means nothing.

D

Deleted member 417

You guys need to check how many consoles Microsoft sells in Japan. No matter who they buy, the staff will leave and the customers won't purchase it.

MS released some truly great JRPG bangers during the 360 years and it didn't make a dent in the Japanese market

Last edited by a moderator:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
The US House is not involved in trade policy, 10 members of congress is less than 1 in 40, the US trade rep doesn't have to act on letters like this other than writing a reply to them, Microsoft's/the concerned Congressmen's "case" is really weak, few Japanese people have ever chosen an Xbox in their market, with no anti-competitive measures neccissary, the current clinate in Washington, DC is openly hostile to tech companies (except folks from Seattle and the bay area,) Xbox's status as a "US import" is really questionable since they are made in China, Sony's exclusivity agreements in Japan, specifically, are aimed at Nintendo, which has a dominant position in that market, the 98 percent figure won't pass muster either since a Japanese court or trade body would include Nintendo's market-share, Xbox stopped investing in Japan over a decade ago-the actual cause of their low marketshare, etc. There's a billion reasons why this letter means nothing.
Isn’t the senator on trade commission where they want language in the agreement for better access to the Japanese gaming marke on behalf of Microsoft? I read the letter. It’s extremely hostile in tone.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Isn’t the senator on trade commission where they want language in the agreement for better access to the Japanese gaming marke on behalf of Microsoft? I read the letter. It’s extremely hostile in tone.
She's from Washington, nobody else cares. I haven't read the letter but Microsoft already has full access to the Japanese gaming market, problem is consumers there just aren't interested. My understanding was that it was in regards to an already existing trade agreement, the provisions of which would be up to each government to implement. All Japan has to do is say that things are being enforced to the letter of the law and it ends there, if the US trade representative even agrees to take it up with the, which he does not have to do.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
MS released some truly great JRPG bangers during the 360 years and it didn't make a dent in the Japanese market
It wasn't just securing exclusivity, Blue Dragon, at least, would not have been made without Microsoft giving them the money, from my understanding of it.

Thats one IP I would love for them to bring back with the original team, but obviously thats impossible.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
You worry too much. Do you really think Japanese government will bow to America? What does want the USA try to do if they defend themselves, intimidate them with violence again???
Guys you all need to relax, Europe (and Nato) are also there. America can’t do whatever they want. Microsoft has no significant impact on the Japanese market. Trust me they will never get one of the big Japanese corporations, and they attempted 100% to do so. Activision Blizzard was approved because they zero relevance in Japan. But one of the Japanese pub would threaten Sony and Nintendo. I honestly believe this whole crying of Microsoft is because Japanese government blocked Microsoft’s attempts to buy a Japanese pub.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
You worry too much. Do you really think Japanese government will bow to America? What does want the USA try to do if they defend themselves, intimidate them with violence again???
Guys you all need to relax, Europe (and Nato) are also there. America can’t do whatever they want. Microsoft has no significant impact on the Japanese market. Trust me they will never get one of the big Japanese corporations, and they attempted 100% to do so. Activision Blizzard was approved because they zero relevance in Japan. But one of the Japanese pub would threaten Sony and Nintendo. I honestly believe this whole crying of Microsoft is because Japanese government blocked Microsoft’s attempts to buy a Japanese pub.
Yes I do. The just approved the activsion merger.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
You guys need to check how many consoles Microsoft sells in Japan. No matter who they buy, the staff will leave and the customers won't purchase it.

MS buying a Japanese publisher to remove games from PlayStation is irrational as it would kill their sales and value (the sales split is drastically more one sided than in CoD).

Sony buying Japanese publishers and removing games from Xbox not so much, it is definitely one of the options if acquiring western publisher is out of their reach. Xbox not existing in Japan was always one of Sony's biggest advantages, leveraging it makes sense.

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
Yes I do. The just approved the activsion merger.
Different things. They wont touch jap.pub. Jap.gov.wont let it pass easy let alone when sony amd N object.
PUb d want to sell to ms.
Selling to ms means those ips d be dead.
They d lose majority of nwork force there.
Its not happening.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Different things. They wont touch jap.pub. Jap.gov.wont let it pass easy let alone when sony amd N object.
PUb d want to sell to ms.
Selling to ms means those ips d be dead.
They d lose majority of nwork force there.
Its not happening.
It is going to happen. Microsoft is siccing the US government trade agree committee on Japan and Japan just cucked in a day.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It is going to happen. Microsoft is siccing the US government trade agree committee on Japan and Japan just cucked in a day.
The two events were entirely unrelated, we are expecting pretty much every organization except the FTC to either approve or disapprove the merger within the next two or so months. And Japan, specifically, has no market threat because both AB and Microsoft have such a limited presence in their markets. Did you really expect them to say that the merger was going to threaten competition in whatever their interpretation of a market (in Japan) was. Its the same as China approving it two or three months ago, of course they would, since one or both sides had zero influence in gaming there.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings
D

Deleted member 417

Sony buying Japanese publishers and removing games from Xbox not so much, it is definitely one of the options if acquiring western publisher is out of their reach. Xbox not existing in Japan was always one of Sony's biggest advantages, leveraging it makes sense.
This is going to sound like I am picking on you, I'm not.

When I see a line of reasoning like this, the first question that comes to my mind is "has this person played video games or interacted with people who play games in real life?".

Your logic is alien to me. A vastly, hugely unpopular console, so unpopular it is being outsold, week in, week out, will suddenly become more popular because games that used to be on Playstation are now on Xbox? That's not how the market works and especially not mid-gen.

Any games closed off to Microsoft ecosystem, becomes a dead franchise:

Dead rising
Halo
Perfect Dark
Any game made by Rare

Just off of the top of my head.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
This is going to sound like I am picking on you, I'm not.

When I see a line of reasoning like this, the first question that comes to my mind is "has this person played video games or interacted with people who play games in real life?".

Your logic is alien to me. A vastly, hugely unpopular console, so unpopular it is being outsold, week in, week out, will suddenly become more popular because games that used to be on Playstation are now on Xbox? That's not how the market works and especially not mid-gen.

Any games closed off to Microsoft ecosystem, becomes a dead franchise:

Dead rising
Halo
Perfect Dark
Any game made by Rare

Just off of the top of my head.
You just keep assuming MS will repeat all the same mistakes again, Sony would be stupid to operate under that assumption. Try to look ahead, past this generation. No big move is being made now thinking about Series vs PS5, this is all long term stuff.

D

Deleted member 417

You just keep assuming MS will repeat all the same mistakes again, Sony would be stupid to operate under that assumption. Try to look ahead, past this generation. No big move is being made now thinking about Series vs PS5, this is all long term stuff.
I would give you the benefit of the doubt, if it wasn't for decades of evidence proving that Microsoft will repeat the same mistakes again. You keep repeating the same old tired schtick I have seen for generation after generation about how Sony is doomed.

How is this latest season of scaremongering any different from "Sony are bankrupt", "There will be no PS4" or "Microsoft has 30% power advantage"?

The deal isn't finalised yet and people are falling for the same old, tired, regurgitated bollocks pushed by the MS PR team.

Besides, if you want to talk big picture, you've missed the real big picture, which - as I've said many times on this forum, is MS moving into cloud/mobile style gaming. They pose 0 threat to Sony because the market that Sony have always succeeded in, is going nowhere. The only sector of the market that is going to move, is the American-centric, subscription "you will own nothing" market.

The observant will be very happy with this, as those aforementioned people/fans/consumers are not traditional gamers. I hope Microsoft buys every subscription service, every GaaS game, every game with Lootboxes and removes the rot from the industry.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I would give you the benefit of the doubt, if it wasn't for decades of evidence proving that Microsoft will repeat the same mistakes again. You keep repeating the same old tired schtick I have seen for generation after generation about how Sony is doomed.

How is this latest season of scaremongering any different from "Sony are bankrupt", "There will be no PS4" or "Microsoft has 30% power advantage"?

The deal isn't finalised yet and people are falling for the same old, tired, regurgitated bollocks pushed by the MS PR team.

Besides, if you want to talk big picture, you've missed the real big picture, which - as I've said many times on this forum, is MS moving into cloud/mobile style gaming. They pose 0 threat to Sony because the market that Sony have always succeeded in, is going nowhere. The only sector of the market that is going to move, is the American-centric, subscription "you will own nothing" market.

The observant will be very happy with this, as those aforementioned people/fans/consumers are not traditional gamers. I hope Microsoft buys every subscription service, every GaaS game, every game with Lootboxes and removes the rot from the industry.
Sony didn't look dooemed to me when the PS4 and PS5 were coming out. As of right now Xbox massive size and MS willingness to spend so much money casts a massive shadow on the PS6 and this generation has been good but pretty uninspired for Sony.

I don't understand why you are so resistant to Sony actually putting up a fight.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
The two things aren't related. The Japanese market decision was weeks in the works before Microsoft started using their politicians. You're letting the CMA and ABK merger news freak you out way too much to the point where you seem to think Playstation will die soon. Its far too early to even see how Sony will respond yet, as a counter acquisition would never happen overnight after receiving bad news related to this merger.

D

Deleted member 417

Sony didn't look dooemed to me when the PS4 and PS5 were coming out. As of right now Xbox massive size and MS willingness to spend so much money casts a massive shadow on the PS6 and this generation has been good but pretty uninspired for Sony.
Xbox isn't massive, MS is. MS haven't spent 80 billion to compete with Playstation, they've done it to move MS forward as a company. The bonus of the purchase was picking up popular media franchises (that they are games is irrelevant) to increase the user count on Azure servers, while now pocketing the majority of the change.

Microsoft want their own Stadia; cheap hardware, digital purchases with streaming options and a locked-in walled-market of subscriptions. They want to have their cake and eat it to.

As for Playstation, they aren't doomed. Uninspired? They've released some objectively excellent games, with Horizon being the most alive and graphically impressive open world game I have ever seen. Not to mention they just launched a VR headset as well...

Reactions: AngryRobotBees

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Xbox isn't massive, MS is. MS haven't spent 80 billion to compete with Playstation, they've done it to move MS forward as a company. The bonus of the purchase was picking up popular media franchises (that they are games is irrelevant) to increase the user count on Azure servers, while now pocketing the majority of the change.

Microsoft want their own Stadia; cheap hardware, digital purchases with streaming options and a locked-in walled-market of subscriptions. They want to have their cake and eat it to.

As for Playstation, they aren't doomed. Uninspired? They've released some objectively excellent games, with Horizon being the most alive and graphically impressive open world game I have ever seen. Not to mention they just launched a VR headset as well...
Xbox is massive now (assuming they buy ABK). You seem to be in denial.

You also say it as if pushing for cloud and Gamepass isn't even worse than trying to push Xboxes. MS changes direction all the time, they could easily just settle for the console market when their cloud and game subscription dreams come crashing and if they find themselves in a favorable position again next gen.

Horizon is the most uninspiring Sony IP rigth now, getting milked to death. God of War Ragnarok despite being a great game was a let down for me compared to the 2018 game, it felt really held back by being crossgen. Spider-man 2 and Wolverine are probably going to be pretty good but also nothing that gets me as excited as the new IPs or reboots we got used to in the PS3 and PS4 gens.

The best thing going on for Sony right now is FFXVI, that gets me hyped up.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Guys you all get too much worked up. Even if Microsoft gets Activision Blizzard, they will probably not be able to get another publisher. This argument “but we are smaller in market share“ will not work towards the next attempt to buy a pub. All this revenue and profit will go straight to Microsoft. They will gain a lot of GP subscribers. So they won’t be the “underdog” how the claimed. Guys keep in mind, the deal is still not approved. China blocked (which is important region for Blizzards mobile gaming), FTC sued and blocked too. CMA and EU can still deny the whole deal or force them to sign concessions. Don’t take this aggressive Microsoft propaganda seriously. Nothing is decided. Honestly Sony will 100% do a big deal, they won’t keep calm. They know how dangerous Microsoft is. They will act. Remember they spent billions we still don’t what they did with it. And next mid-term plan they will spent another two trillion yen. Sony will need to spend money before it loses more value.