Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I think the senator thing is a tit for tat for Sony being apart of the gamers court case.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I expect next week being the week before the deadline we'll start to hear some juicy stuff. Again ever since CMA's 180 i've expected them to cave in. What's sad is that, whatever 'remedies' that they put in place still won't change the fact that MS bought their way into the leading publisher spot, and that millions of Playstation players will be paying for a Microsoft game where they weren't before.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
I expect next week being the week before the deadline we'll start to hear some juicy stuff. Again ever since CMA's 180 i've expected them to cave in. What's sad is that, whatever 'remedies' that they put in place still won't change the fact that MS bought their way into the leading publisher spot, and that millions of Playstation players will be paying for a Microsoft game where they weren't before.
I personally wont be giving MS a penny of my hard earned money. Have not gave MS a dime in almost 20 years, gonna keep it that way.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
That's kinda been their M.O. Buy up key resources and make it so that if anyone wants to do business in an industry, they have to give them a cut and operate on their terms. Regardless of what some on era may say, Playstation didn't become market leader through dumb luck or cheating and they'll come up with something to ensure that they continue to have an incredibly strong/healthy position in the industry regardless of what happens with this deal.

Last edited:

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
'Succession' reference? The Xbox team and the senators in MS' pocket are indeed not serious people.

200.gif

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
South Africa have approved, no concessions. Same reasoning as other regulators;

”ms have no incentive to pull cod from rivals, and also we don’t care cause its video games we got more important shit to worry about”

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Those nations were gonna always approve. Just imagine them not approving and then EU/UK/USA approve in the end, they are not gonna be able to stand up to ms who can legit leave those countries.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
What an ignorant thing to say. America is the biggest shithole nation on earth judging by posters like you.
It's a fact that most (if not all) countries that officially approved this aren't exactly beacons of prosperity and democracy. I say most because from what I remember, they're mostly corruption riddled countries that can easily be manupulated into this. There's a reason we haven't heard anything from major European/Asian countries yet. It's because MS is gathering points from these smaller, corrupt countries they can easily buy out. Nothing different from their paying out some small, random cloud services.

Again, all this comes from what I remember. I don't recall any well standing countries to approve of this yet. Someone mentioned Japan but I'm not sure if that was official or just a response to the senator's request.

P.S.

I'm not American. I come from a shithole country and I speak from experience. Doesn't take much to buy a government as corrupt as these.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
I like how all the countries that have approved this are shitholes.

That's really bigoted and ignorant to say, man. I live here in America and it has a lot of problems too, doesn't make it a shithole.

A lot of those "shithole" countries have rather interesting cultures and histories to learn of. All I'm saying is, don't be an ignorant jackass.

Someone mentioned Japan but I'm not sure if that was official or just a response to the senator's request.

Japan approved the deal without concessions.

As to these smaller countries having corrupt governments and being easily bought out by companies like MS, look, that is a whole different conversation. Parts of that may be true but, again, look here at America; Big Tech buy out politicians everyday. Every country has corruption; with a lot of these smaller countries you'll also see a history where say certain Western countries and corporations have either exploited them for political and economic resources, destabilized their governments or economies, or both.

So it's really not as simple as saying they're corrupt and leaving it at that.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
That's really bigoted and ignorant to say, man. I live here in America and it has a lot of problems too, doesn't make it a shithole.

A lot of those "shithole" countries have rather interesting cultures and histories to learn of. All I'm saying is, don't be an ignorant jackass.

Japan approved the deal without concessions.

As to these smaller countries having corrupt governments and being easily bought out by companies like MS, look, that is a whole different conversation. Parts of that may be true but, again, look here at America; Big Tech buy out politicians everyday. Every country has corruption; with a lot of these smaller countries you'll also see a history where say certain Western countries and corporations have either exploited them for political and economic resources, destabilized their governments or economies, or both.

So it's really not as simple as saying they're corrupt and leaving it at that.
The smaller countries are approving with no concessions because in the high end console market (a market ftc and sony made up) sony have no competition when you consider their market share in that particular country. Japan will look at the high end landscape and see PS with 90% market share in Japan and default to approve.

Its not corruption.

I agree that senators getting involved due to MS donations seems sus but thats politics in the west, they work for the highest bidder. Sony can fix this by donating to a few senators themselves.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven

Why do you assume that "shithole of a country" means shit people? I specifically used country instead of a nation or people. A country references the government that runs it. It has nothing to do with culture.

As I said, I come from a shithole country. People here are no better or worse than the people in the countries I mentioned above. People everywhere are mostly the same. They want to work and provide for their families. However, the country they live in is run by incompetent, corrupt morons. That's what it means to live in a shithole. It has nothing to do with the people that are trying to live there.

I don't know why this sparked such an outrage. There's nothing racist, nationalistic or xenophobic about any of my posts here. It's simply calling out the corrupt politicians that run these countries and is not bearing any ill will towards the people who live in these countries.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Back on topic, if both the CMA an EU are now focused on cloud, what would remedies in that market even look like? With consoles it was clear that a remedy would be release and content parity. But I don't see how any cloud remedies could stop MS from charging exorbitant licensing fees from BYOG cloud providers.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The smaller countries are approving with no concessions because in the high end console market (a market ftc and sony made up) sony have no competition when you consider their market share in that particular country. Japan will look at the high end landscape and see PS with 90% market share in Japan and default to approve.

Its not corruption.

I agree that senators getting involved due to MS donations seems sus but thats politics in the west, they work for the highest bidder. Sony can fix this by donating to a few senators themselves.
Who says they have to look at the "high end" console market only? Era?

FTC said that for USA because it makes sense for that market, other countries don't have to use it. And Microsoft themselves don't see Nintendo as competition in their own documents. Sony didn't made it up.