Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Its not. They are trying to grow their own business and have pounced on deals when they come up. Activision was on the block because of the scandals and lawsuits, Bethesda because leadership wanted to cash out and the previous ones were an island of misfit toys that were all happy to get out of having to sell themselves every single game.
It is though. They are removing IPs from their biggest rival to grow their buisness at a much faster rate.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Its not. They are trying to grow their own business and have pounced on deals when they come up. Activision was on the block because of the scandals and lawsuits, Bethesda because leadership wanted to cash out and the previous ones were an island of misfit toys that were all happy to get out of having to sell themselves every single game.
So they accused Sony of trying to grow by making Xbox small and then go out and spend $80B buying some of Sony's biggest partners? There is no way you actually don't see it for what it is and I wonder what your attitude would be if it was Sony being that aggressive and buying up entire publishers to remove their games from Xbox.

MS couldn't gain market share and decide to buy it and hopefully they'll once again fail.

Sony bought FFXVI and FFXVIIR timed exclusivity, so what? MS also bought a bunch of exclusives like ARK2, Stalker 2, Warhammer 40,000: Darktide, etc.

I honestly wouldn't mind even the Bethesda and ABK deals if not for the hypocrisy of Xbox fans and MS PR. Just own up to it. I can't stand this idiot Phil Spencer still trying to pose as the good guy and the game media going along with it.

Last edited:

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Sony can't buy anyone cause Microsoft will simply outbid them for everyone and buy up the entire industry cause they are smaller... is what I keep reading on other sites....

They are obviously highly educated legal and financial experts, since they spend all their time watching Hoeg Law and reading FOSSPatents.

If SEGA can buy Rovio for $1 billion (almost 1/3rd of SEGA's entire market cap...gee I wonder how they're paying for this!?), Sony can buy almost any publisher on the market if they really wanted them. Outbidding only works if the company trying to outbid REALLY wants the asset in question, and there are still other factors at play beyond even that.

Would it be acceptable for Sony to buy a supplier of key components for the Xbox and then cut them out of it? That is pretty much what MS is trying to do but on the software front.

I never understood how they had to frame it over Cloud or MS being last place, what should matter is how a multi trillion dollar company is trying to use their money to take over a specific market and to try and take out another company out of business by pushing a model that isn't sustainable or beneficial to anyone but themselves and that has already been rejected by consumers.

What I also don't get is why Sony has to share anything while MS isn't even questioned about basic information.

Honestly I'm still surprised that they haven't been forced to reveal Xbox Series S & X sales numbers (as in sold-through, to customers) or especially Game Pass revenue figures. Even the leaked numbers from the CADE document did not isolate Game Pass; they included Game Pass, XBL Gold AND Zenimax game services (ESO, FO '76).

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
So they accused Sony of trying to grow by making Xbox small and then go out and spend $80B buying some of Sony's biggest partners? There is no way you actually don't see it for what it is and I wonder what your attitude would be if it was Sony being that aggressive and buying up entire publishers to remove their games from Xbox.
While I might care I wouldn't be a salty baby about it and ask the government to stop it on dubious grounds.

Sony bought FFXVI and FFXVIIR timed exclusivity, so what? MS also bought a bunch of exclusives like ARK2, Stalker 2, Warhammer 40,000: Darktide, etc.
I don't remember raising the argument on timed exclusivity but since you asked, I don't like it. Not because it hurts your competitor but because in the long run it hurts yourself. You aren't actually buying anything for your own system and after a generation of doing so you'll look back and see that you have nothing to show for it. In the long run relying on timed exclusives, especially of franchises not associated with, or usually on, your console is throwing money down a well. And you can look no further than your own list of MS timed exclusives to prove it.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
While I might care I wouldn't be a salty baby about it and ask the government to stop it on dubious grounds.

I don't remember raising the argument on timed exclusivity but since you asked, I don't like it. Not because it hurts your competitor but because in the long run it hurts yourself. You aren't actually buying anything for your own system and after a generation of doing so you'll look back and see that you have nothing to show for it. In the long run relying on timed exclusives, especially of franchises not associated with, or usually on, your console is throwing money down a well. And you can look no further than your own list of MS timed exclusives to prove it.
So you are just an enthusiast of MS acquisitions and wouldn't like Sony making the same acquisitions? It's ok for you to get mad over the acquisition potentially being blocked but people that don't want it are salty?

I would have much preferred if neither company was going around acquiring publishers but now this what it has come down to.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
So you are just an enthusiast of MS acquisitions and wouldn't like Sony making the same acquisitions? It's ok for you to get mad over the acquisition potentially being blocked but people that don't want it are salty?

I would have much preferred if neither company was going around acquiring publishers but now this what it has come down to.
Not sure where you got that first sentence from. Generally I don feel like I'm missing out when acquisitions happen. The invisible hand will fill any general void in the other console's shelves, as it always has.

And yes, given that I thought that blocks related to PS vs Xbox were fundamentally misunderstansing of the console marketplace, seeing something like this get blocked because of that would make me salty, though its far less likely now. We'll have to see on the subscription service/streaming arguement. Its a much better one, legally speaking, but I also think we're decades of from having working, usuable streaming services with mass appeal so ymmv.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Not sure where you got that first sentence from. Generally I don feel like I'm missing out when acquisitions happen. The invisible hand will fill any general void in the other console's shelves, as it always has.
Oh got it, the invisible hand... Where was the invisible hand to stop a corrupt company like MS with so many shitty products from becoming a trillion dollar company that is able to make this type of acquisitions? Give me a break, this has nothing to do with the moralities of regulating the "free market".

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
It is though. They are removing IPs from their biggest rival to grow their buisness at a much faster rate.
Exactly. They would have MORE revenue if they didn't remove games from PlayStation. Gamepass generates less revenue than full game sales do, so Microsoft clearly have ulterior motives with their acquisitions. This is 100% undeniable.

Further, in reference to a comment about asking the govt to stop acquisitions on dubious grounds, let's cut that shit out, shall we? The CMA is not a government entity, and the largest 3 regulators in the world ALL moved to block or have significant concerns with this anticompetitive deal. Those arguing for it are in the minority and are wrong.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Oh got it, the invisible hand... Where was the invisible hand to stop a corrupt company like MS with so many shitty products from becoming a trillion dollar company that is able to make this type of acquisitions? Give me a break, this has nothing to do with the moralities of regulating the "free market".
The point is if a product like CoD goes away, something similar will rise up to replace it if the demand is there. Just like how non-Halo shooters arose to garner gamers' interest in the 360 era and eventually easily surpassed it in sales, or how GI used "uts like BotW" to eventually out-earn the original.

• Informative
Reactions: Papacheeks

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
The point is if a product like CoD goes away, something similar will rise up to replace it if the demand is there. Just like how non-Halo shooters arose to garner gamers' interest in the 360 era and eventually easily surpassed it in sales, or how GI used "uts like BotW" to eventually out-earn the original.
Well I don't doubt that is going to happen but MS/ABK is framing it as some bullshit pro-consumer move while going crazy with their open lobbying, their pretty weird anti-Japanese rhetoric, running adds to put pressure on regulators and even going as far as to threaten the UK on TV.

Sony is also full of shit on this one but they have been drastically more tame in comparison to MS/ABK.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Papacheeks

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Well I don't doubt that is going to happen but MS/ABK is framing it as some bullshit pro-consumer move while going crazy with their open lobbying, their pretty weird anti-Japanese rhetoric, running adds to put pressure on regulators and even going as far as to threaten the UK.

Sony is also full of shit on this one but they have been drastically more tame in comparison to MS/ABK.
I don't care about corporate framing, why do you?

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I don't care about corporate framing, why do you?
I don't want MS buying more publishers going forward and I sure don't want them buying any Japanese publisher. At this rate they are going to crash the console market and I like consoles.

If Gamepass was winning the market based on it's performance, fine I would take the loss, but it all being decided by MS ability to just buy everyone is just lame.

Reactions: Rivet

Nitro

10 Apr 2023
North Pole
It’s funny how few people seem to recall it was Take2 and Activision that were actually the first to announce they were going to price PS5 and XBox Series games at $70.

We need a dedicated misconceptions thread to address false information. There's a lot of it floating around, like the nature of parity clauses, alleged payment for cross-play, or the notion Sony are going around blocking random 3rd-party games from releasing on Game Pass. The only contracts that have such a provision are those Sony have signed a co-marketing agreement with. There's all manner of bogus info. Not limited to any one platform either. Proposed thread title:

End The FUD | Addressing Misconceptions

Is that something members would find helpful and mods would allow?

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Good. Hopefully not in the long term either. The sooner Xbox dies the better for the console market, maybe a decent and capable competitor can then occupy that space.
Lol, well, well, well, look who's anti-competitive now. FWIW. the only new-comers I see, even in a Sony and Nintendo only environment, are shitty streaming boxes that nobody wants (hi, Luna!) Maybe you rebrand Steambox as a console, even though Valve is adamant about calling it a mobile gaming PC, or use some other way to get around the fact that making and selling a gaming console is a monumentally expensive task even if you don't factor in owning the studios to support it with content.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Lol, well, well, well, look who's anti-competitive now. FWIW. the only new-comers I see, even in a Sony and Nintendo only environment, are shitty streaming boxes that nobody wants (hi, Luna!) Maybe you rebrand Steambox as a console, even though Valve is adamant about calling it a mobile gaming PC, or use some other way to get around the fact that making and selling a gaming console is a monumentally expensive task even if you don't factor in owning the studios to support it with content.
I don't see how competition has anything to do with a terrible product like the Xbox surviving. If it was up to competition the Xbox would long be gone.

Valve in the console space sounds a lot better to me than MS and that is pretty much the spot that Xbox occupies at this point. Valve would actually challenge Sony by not charging for online for example, by providing a store with more features and better policies, VR support, advanced controllers and so on. Xbox hardly seems to be trying outside of spending money on this massive acquisitions.

Reactions: Rivet

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I don't see how competition has anything to do with a terrible product like the Xbox surviving. If it was up to competition the Xbox would long be gone.

Valve in the console space sounds a lot better to me than MS and that is pretty much the spot that Xbox occupies at this point. Valve would actually challenge Sony by not charging for online for example, by providing a store with more features and better policies, VR support, advanced controllers and so on. Xbox hardly seems to be trying outside of spending money on this massive acquisitions.
Valve actually doesn't offer online at all. Stuff like CS is free only because someone other than you or Valve is offering to host the servers. Doesn't apply to their free to play stuff (CS:GO, TF2, etc.), obviously, but only because microtransactions pay for their upkeep instead. Anyways, Steambox is already there regardless of Microsoft's entrance or exit, the only question is if you call it a console or not.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Valve actually doesn't offer online at all. Stuff like CS is free only because someone other than you or Valve is offering to host the servers. Doesn't apply to their free to play stuff (CS:GO, TF2, etc.), obviously, but only because microtransactions pay for their upkeep instead. Anyways, Steambox is already there regardless of Microsoft's entrance or exit, the only question is if you call it a console or not.
I call it Timmy.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
What is the problem with that? Never in my life I noticed PC servers being any worse for online. Paid online on consoles is a scam, always was and it's always going to be. Sony made it a little less offensive with IGC/PS+ Essentials but it is still fucked up to charge for such a basic feature that has always been free on PC, was free on console before and it's even free on mobile.

How exactly is Xbox contributing to the health of the console market? What good thing has ever come out of Xbox ever since it entered the market? I can list a lot of bad things they pioneer or pushed for but it's really hard coming up with anything good other than that accessibility controller if that counts.

Last edited: