Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I wonder if it's just aggregating stuff from all over the place
Seems like it.

Unfortunately looks like MS are going to get this. I just hate the precedent it sets. MS will be able to use its vast wealth to permanently starve Playstation of content and they don't intend to stop with ABK and Zenimax. At this point Sony need to lock down as many partners as they can so their games library isn't crippled in the future.

At least the zealots got trolled one last time over the sales numbers gap.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Seems like it.

Unfortunately looks like MS are going to get this. I just hate the precedent it sets. MS will be able to use its vast wealth to permanently starve Playstation of content and they don't intend to stop with ABK and Zenimax. At this point Sony need to lock down as many partners as they can so their games library isn't crippled in the future.

Acquisiton definatley. I think there are other things that they can do aswell like improve the ecosystem.

Just look at apple if you removed a few high revenue generating games or apps from their app store and only had it in Google play store, do you think people will leave and go over to android? Nah people are sticking with apple.

Give a reason for folks not to jump ship, growing digital libraries is already one reason that is in effect, add more reasons over the next few years which includes acquisitons.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I also asked ChatGPT to summarize the article and it says this. The mention of the DOJ is interesting.

Edit: I tried chatGPT with a different non paywalled article and it seems like it can get things very wrong.

It can, which is why I added the disclaimer. I don't know if the information is accurate.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I am guessing he is one of those people that love the fact you have to pay a subscription to use Photoshop or Office.

Nah, he's the kind of guy that if Phil Spencer said you'd need to suck his dick and take a load in your face he'd be salivating and on his needs immediately.

Excuse the graphic description.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Acquisiton definatley. I think there are other things that they can do aswell like improve the ecosystem.

Just look at apple if you removed a few high revenue generating games or apps from their app store and only had it in Google play store, do you think people will leave and go over to android? Nah people are sticking with apple.

Give a reason for folks not to jump ship, growing digital libraries is already one reason that is in effect, add more reasons over the next few years which includes acquisitons.
Yeah, I'd feel a lot more comfortable about the future of Playstation if Sony locked down certain Japanese devs though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Puff

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Seems like it.

They need to make sure MS isn't allowed to buy Japanese publishers.

Other than that, as long as Sony gets the next GTA and EA games MS can buy pretty much all other western publishers and Sony would be just fine. All of this is pretty slow moving, it took Bethesda 3 years to produce their first Xbox/PC only game and it didn't even chart, Sony still has CoD under contract until 2024 and likely will have that 10 year deal MS is shopping around.

MS can only grow so much if this is all about Gamepass, that shit is going nowhere and at some point they'll just have to face reality. The advantage of being a division of a company like MS is that you have access to all that money but the disadvantage is that they can change direction at any moment and just see Xbox as the next Zune/Windows Phone/Mixer.

With that said, Sony should use the opportunity to buy some key devs following this ABK deal or even a publisher of their own, not to mention tying more big third-party games to PlayStation with co-marketing and exclusivity deals.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Not sure if I'd trust this, but ChatGPT can be used to bypass paywalls if you trick it, and it gave me this summary.
Maybe im not understanding the article but that doesnt sound nearly as rosie as Idas was making out to be?

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I've been cheering for her from the start. Seen all manner of abuse hurled her way - about her looks, her intelligence, her motives, her gender, etc. - but she is one of the few regulators who is doing her job in this situation. If more were like her, there would be less companies like MS in the first place.
Given the CMA rumors, it makes sense why MS and their shills have moved on to attacking the FTC. They're the only remaining body that still dares to resist them.

It's actually pretty disgusting how much the zealots are attacking / harassing her on behalf of their favorite piece of plastic.

Last edited:

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
They need to make sure MS isn't allowed to buy Japanese publishers.

Other than that, as long as Sony gets the next GTA and EA games MS can buy pretty much all other western publishers and Sony would be just fine. All of this is pretty slow moving, it took Bethesda 3 years to produce their first Xbox/PC only game and it didn't even chart, Sony still has CoD under contract until 2024 and likely will have that 10 year deal MS is shopping around.

MS can only grow so much if this is all about Gamepass, that shit is going nowhere and at some point they'll just have to face reality. The advantage of being a division of a company like MS is that you have access to all that money but the disadvantage is that they can change direction at any moment and just see Xbox as the next Zune/Windows Phone/Mixer.

With that said, Sony should use the opportunity to buy some key devs following this ABK deal or even a publisher of their own, not to mention tying more big third-party games to PlayStation with co-marketing and exclusivity deals.
Sony can't make the Japanese government block any buyouts. The most they can do is buy some publishers of their own before its too late and Microsoft further shrinks their library.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Sony can't make the Japanese government block any buyouts. The most they can do is buy some before its too late and Microsoft further shrinks their library.
This. There's a misconception that outsiders can't buy Japanese companies because the Japanese government won't allow it.

The Japanese government only prevents hostile takeovers. They can't stop a company selling willingly.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
ChatGPT regularly hallucinates things so I would take that with a grain of salt. Anywho I don't even care about this foolishness anymore, ABK is needed to save Xbox's failing business and will never move the needle vs Playstation.

Also if there is no risk to competition why would the CMA even need to bother with behavioral remedies? It's like they know this deal is bad for competition and MS would fuck over Playstation if allowed.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
ChatGPT regularly hallucinates things so I would take that with a grain of salt. Anywho I don't even care about this foolishness anymore, ABK is needed to save Xbox's failing business and will never move the needle vs Playstation.

Also if there is no risk to competition why would the CMA even need to bother with behavioral remedies? It's like they know this deal is bad for competition and MS would fuck over Playstation if allowed.
The problem here is that this acquisition just opens the door. When this goes through, it gives a green light to everyone, including MS, to go for more.
This decision will shape the industry. And when it goes through, nothing's stopping MS from buying out the industry. Not a single thing.

If regulators look at one of the biggest companies in the world, buying one of the biggest companies in gaming for the amount that's more than half of the market cap of their biggest competitor, and shrugging it of, no other acquisition is getting stopped.

The CMA is all bark and is just putting on a show. They're approving this with no remedies in place. They went back on their decision based on some pretty shady data provided by MS. Sony called them out but it's not changing anything.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Yeah, I'd feel a lot more comfortable about the future of Playstation if Sony locked down certain Japanese devs though.
Sega, Square, Capcom. these 3 publishers + SIE is all they need to keep the PS brand strong. MS can destroy the rest of the market for all i care. No matter who they buy, Xbox will fail. We are already seeing this with latest sales reports. Just please do not ouch those 3 publishers, let them be independent.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Sony can't make the Japanese government block any buyouts. The most they can do is buy some publishers of their own before its too late and Microsoft further shrinks their library.
They can easily make it not worth the effort to MS by just showing up to negotiate and by buying stakes in them beforehand. Buying any Japanese publisher is a huge challenge for MS because they just don't have the audience that play those games.

Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Eden Ring, Yakuza, Persona, Sony need all the upcoming entries of those games tied to PlayStation with marketing or exclusivity deals.

Look at how much Sony having contracts with Bethesda changed the impact of that acquisition, Ghostwire Tokyo and Dethloop would've been huge for Xbox in a period where they had nothing going on and to this day Bethesda games keep being added to PS+. Same thing happened with Activision, Sony having CoD under contract buy them a lot of time and PS+ has had Activision titles for a long time so that decreases the appeal of their legacy catalog.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Hopefully Sony were smart enough to play both sides of this situation. Have Jim attempt to throw a wrench into the ABK deal while someone else tries to acquire something like Square in the background at the same time.
If you think about it none of the arguments used to try and stop MS acquisition in the UK would work against Sony.

Sony could frame any Japanese publisher purchase as them trying to compete with Nintendo (then they could go around offering Nintendo a 30 year deal for Monster Hunter since they like to make money) :ROFLMAO:

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
The problem here is that this acquisition just opens the door. When this goes through, it gives a green light to everyone, including MS, to go for more.
This decision will shape the industry. And when it goes through, nothing's stopping MS from buying out the industry. Not a single thing.

If regulators look at one of the biggest companies in the world, buying one of the biggest companies in gaming for the amount that's more than half of the market cap of their biggest competitor, and shrugging it of, no other acquisition is getting stopped.

The CMA is all bark and is just putting on a show. They're approving this with no remedies in place. They went back on their decision based on some pretty shady data provided by MS. Sony called them out but it's not changing anything.

I actually think this deal will hamstrung Microsoft for future big publisher acquisitions. Keep in mind, they've been using the "we're in last place!" rhetoric a LOT for getting this ABK deal through. If/when it's approved, they will, almost immediately, leapfrog Nintendo clearly in gaming revenue, and be within spitting distance of Sony. Hell, they could edge them out in gaming revenue if ABK has a particularly strong year (because we know Xbox itself via XGS won't).

That won't go unnoticed, and if somehow Xbox revenue (after adding ABK's to it) starts cratering, that is also going to be noticed, for all the wrong reasons. Because it would signal Microsoft directly contributing to a shrinking or harm of revenue to the gaming market as if they hadn't purchased ABK, ABK revenue would not have decreased, meaning theoretically, gaming revenue as a whole would not have dropped.

So in a way, I'm actually hoping the ABK deal is approved now, because it will pretty much lock Microsoft out from making other major publisher acquisitions for a long, long time. They do well and now Xbox revenue is steamrolling Nintendo and within spitting distance of PlayStation (if not edging even them out). They do poorly with dropping Xbox revenue and now they have to accept the reality they've just harmed the market by taking an independent 3P publisher, acquiring them, and somehow seeing Xbox revenue drop even after combining the revenue streams. Which at the very least, would now hamstring ABK to a division seeing further drops in revenue when it shouldn't be seeing such drops.

Unfortunately, there is still the precedent the deal would set for other Big Tech companies to make their own acquisitions, if it were approved (particularly without structural remedies or VERY strict behavioral remedies, or both), and they would not be "locked" the way Microsoft will, so the threat of mass industry consolidation could still be carried through by them, and we know some of those Big Tech companies would want to make acquired content exclusive to bolster their own gaming products and services. So that is a reason why I would still resist wanting to see the ABK deal approved.

They can easily make it not worth the effort to MS by just showing up to negotiate and by buying stakes in them beforehand. Buying any Japanese publisher is a huge challenge for MS because they just don't have the audience that play those games.

Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Eden Ring, Yakuza, Persona, Sony need all the upcoming entries of those games tied to PlayStation with marketing or exclusivity deals.

Look at how much Sony having contracts with Bethesda changed the impact of that acquisition, Ghostwire Tokyo and Dethloop would've been huge for Xbox in a period where they had nothing going on and to this day Bethesda games keep being added to PS+. Same thing happened with Activision, Sony having CoD under contract buy them a lot of time and PS+ has had Activision titles for a long time so that decreases the appeal of their legacy catalog.

Yeah, at the very least Sony NEED to buy some good amount of shares in the big Japanese 3P publishers. That should be a minimum requirement, and they've done well so far with Kadokawa (and From Software). They need to repeat that strategy with Capcom, Square-Enix, Koei-Tecmo, Bandai-Namco, Konami, Sega etc.

And I would say, do similar for key Western 3P publishers like Take-Two and EA. That would be a good compromise for a while if they don't want to rush into acquisitions.

Given the CMA rumors, it makes sense why MS and their shills have moved on to attacking the FTC. They're the only remaining body that still dares to resist them.

It's actually pretty disgusting how much the zealots are attacking / harassing her on behalf of their favorite piece of plastic.

I'm waiting for Xbox 007 to make a racist post anytime now against her just because the FTC are putting up some actual resistance to the deal.