Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

Tbh reading it again it's just seems like they are just stating the obvious

That sort of implies that they potentially changed their philosophy on remedies and will be ok with behavioural going forward, but they could just be speculating. I personally am not going to get my hopes up for the deal hitting any more snags in order to avoid disappointment.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
That sort of implies that they potentially changed their philosophy on remedies and will be ok with behavioural going forward, but they could just be speculating. I personally am not going to get my hopes up for the deal hitting any more snags in order to avoid disappointment.
I think some of us where talking about this a while back, that CMA bending to behavioural remedies could set a precedent, and here we are.

But yeah im pretty much in the camp this is being approved with behavioural remedies, will be pleasantly surprised if they ask for divestiture.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
An approval with behavioural remedies sends an immediate signal that money and (amateur) marketing will prevail over common sense with regulators, and charts a course straight into dystopian territory, where you ultimately have a handful of megacorps dictating global affairs. Microsoft needs to be broken up more than ever right now.
MS will be untouchable with all of ABK. CMA dont want to be considered to be anti merger.
Regulators about to give them that final stone and regret it later.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
MS will be untouchable with all of ABK. CMA dont want to be considered to be anti merger.
Regulators about to give them that final stone and regret it later.
Calling them untouchable is way too doom and gloom imo. Xbox management is too incompetent and the Playstation brand is far too strong to be killed or even fall into last place over something like this. Now listening to Xbox and their shills gloat about this deal if it goes through is gonna suck and there will probably be some really dumb articles written, but Xbox won't be able to use this to kill Playstation even if they do get it. I agree that regulators shouldn't be caving like this, but there are other factors at play here.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
My reading is that it's to be momentous for CMA regulations in general, not in regards to this case specifically or even just gaming. But it could also just be cickbait and the CMA's actions continue as "normal." Also doesn't really hint at what path they take.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Calling them untouchable is way too doom and gloom imo. Xbox management is too incompetent and the Playstation brand is far too strong to be killed or even fall into last place over something like this. Now listening to Xbox and their shills gloat about this deal if it goes through is gonna suck and there will probably be some really dumb articles written, but Xbox won't be able to use this to kill Playstation even if they do get it. I agree that regulators shouldn't be caving like this, but there are other factors at play here.
Well current xbox management might be replaced by abk management, what then?
ABK dont have incompetent leadership.

And i was not going for doom and gloom for PS, was trying to emphasize how hard regulators are about to drop the ball if this is approved, thereby making regulators useless and unnecessary going forward.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

And i was not going for doom and gloom for PS, was trying to emphasize how hard regulators are about to drop the ball if this is approved, thereby making regulators useless and unnecessary going forward.
Gotcha, yeah they've officially dropped the ball if they let MS off easy here.

• haha
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Zzero and Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Half of this deal is just about shareholders fixing something so they can give themselves a big payday.

Microsoft and Activision have mostly the same major shareholder if you look..... with this deal they get to transfer tens of billions of Microsofts cash to the common shareholders.

So that is half the equation that I think people are missing and most of these people dont care about gaming or how it could hurt gaming etc.

If Microsoft put Activision leadership in charge, they might know how to get a new installment in a successful franchise out each year (with everything already running well in an established brand) but they have no idea about consoles or what it takes to build a real platform.

I have been thinking about this for a while and I am extremely excited to see the new shooters from Bungie, Firewalk and Deviation as well as others.

As gamers we need this change up and innovation and the Xbox crowd are gonna be kicking themselves that they pushed Sony to do this...cause I believe they can do it.
But we have to be open to embrace something new.... we have to support if it looks good and spread the word.

But you're right about regulators..this deal has exposed them as nothing but extra tax collectors.... shaking down corporations to let things go through.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

Bethesda's management has run circles around both of them over the past decade, didn't happen there.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022

ABK don't have incompetent management?

They have mass exoduses of workers from Blizzard happening. Right now. COD MW2 has already dropped significantly on Steam. Overwatch 2 is just kind of "around" ATM after an otherwise really strong launch.

Not to mention all of the sexual harassment and issues with worker's pay, union-busting etc. Their management isn't that much better than Xbox's, ABK just happened to luck into the titan that is COD.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
ABK don't have incompetent management?

They have mass exoduses of workers from Blizzard happening. Right now. COD MW2 has already dropped significantly on Steam. Overwatch 2 is just kind of "around" ATM after an otherwise really strong launch.

Not to mention all of the sexual harassment and issues with worker's pay, union-busting etc. Their management isn't that much better than Xbox's, ABK just happened to luck into the titan that is COD.
Until COD stops being one of the highest selling games every year, I wouldn't call their management incompetent. Internally it seems like a nightmare of a place to work, but it hasn't affected the sales of their products yet from what i can see.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Until COD stops being one of the highest selling games every year, I wouldn't call their management incompetent. Internally it seems like a nightmare of a place to work, but it hasn't affected the sales of their products yet from what i can see.
Yup, calling them incompetent is a fairytale, despite all the internal shit going on at abk their management is 10x better than xbox, no denying, look at their numbers.
No one is spending $69 billion to buy xbox, shit sie and nintendo ain't worth $69 billion. Cant be incompetence or luck that made abk worth that much.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Activision is incompetent

Near zero diversification right now. Desperately clinging to the vetiges of COD success set up two gens ago

Their entire userbase is fed up and waiting for a competitor

They seemed to get a slight second wind with Warzone but the writing is on the wall. They are slowly running it into the ground as they once did to Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero

Blizzard has also fallen apart and while still putting out games isn't really the powerhouse it was