Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Article content:

Reinforcing their stance.
There's literally nothing MS can do. It's over.
Fantastic. I especially loved their response to the premise that a block was stifling innovation. They said flat out: businesses understand the difference between investing in a new company, a new venture, growing a business etc. and a well established business buying another well established business. The latter isn't innovation but consolidation with a path to monopoly in this case.

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
When asked for his thoughts on the deal, CEO Strauss Zelnick expressed that Take-Two had supported the deal for some time, saying that it would be a positive for the company's partner, Microsoft: "What's good for them is also good for the industry."

Unbelievable how many gaming companies support Microsofts acquisition of Activision Blizzard. Ungrateful Bastards

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Bit of a weird article from Wired that misses the mark in its first few paragraphs, but reveals some great stuff about how decisions like the one the EU made here was reached, including dissent from the EU's former competition chief.

According to a January 2023 report by Corporate Europe Observatory (CEO), Big Tech is the biggest lobby sector in the EU, ahead of pharmaceuticals and fossil fuels. Google, Amazon, Meta (formerly Facebook), Apple, and Microsoft (known collectively as GAFAM), spends upwards of $28.8 million “on influencing EU institutions.” It calls for urgent scrutiny of “so-called economic consultancies, whose activities take place below the radar of public scrutiny.”

In a move that it calls “spamming the regulator”, consultants that are seen by regulators as neutral overwhelm regulators with studies and reports. CEO cites an interview between Valleti and the NGO Balanced Economy Project: “I saw the consultants hijack a certain way of doing economic work. They do this on a massive scale, to create doubt.They bombard you. They say ‘well, this merger could bring all these fantastic efficiencies: here is a possibility you should consider.’ You know that in practice this will not play a role, but then you have the burden of proof as an authority to dismiss those claims. It is a very dirty game.”

• brain
Reactions: Ludwig and Puff

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

Unbelievable how many gaming companies support Microsofts acquisition of Activision Blizzard. Ungrateful Bastards
Yeah, not sure how letting Xbox buy all of this stuff benefits me as someone who primarily games on Playstation. I haven't seen anyone able to answer that with anything other than hypothetical scenarios that involve Sony maybe making a competitor that may or may not even be an acceptable replacement or being forced to pivot to a subscription model that I think would be a net negative for my platform of choice.

Last edited:

Nitro

10 Apr 2023
North Pole
He has no power to influence the CMA's decision directly. Zero. But this is a great example of an MP failing to declare he is receiving payment from a business group that lists Microsoft as a client under Health and Technology. They petition privately, there is no doubt. Then one day said backbencher is picked to serve on a committee and advances talking points in favour of the pressure group he serves on. These lobby groups spread their bets.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

I wonder if Sony need to look into what they can do to gain more friends in this industry so that they're less eager to throw them under the bus when something like this happens.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

This part of the nonstop pressure campaign i was referring to the other day. Its going to be everyday of news articles, ceo comments, "market analysts" etc etc saying how great this deal is and how wrong the CMA are. I also expect MS is calling members of Parliament and UK government officials as well.

Last edited:

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
This part of the nostop pressure campaign i was referring to the other day. Its going to be everyday of news articles, ceo comments, "market analysts" etc etc saying how great this deal is and how wrong the CMA are. I also expect MS is calling members of Parliament and UK government officials as well.
Too many other better things going on in gaming, like the Playstation showcase, to be freaking out and worrying over something like this.

If MS are trying to do a media blitz, it's going to get drowned out by all the showcases and gaming announcements that will be happening soon.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Sony has over 2:1 advantage wordwide, and 4:1 in Europe. For AAA publishers it would be better to have a stronger Xbox that offers more competition to Sony.

That would be a bigger market for them so they could sell more games, and also would pretty likely to have more opportunities of getting deals with platform holders and in better conditions.

It would be even better for Sony fanboys, because a Sony with stronger competition would work harder and bet harder so would deliver more and better games, hardware and services in terms of quality or pricing etc.

I mean, Take 2 would prefer to have two console makers for who is profitable to pay a huge amount of money for the GTA6 marketing. They would bid and Take 2 would get more money for the deal. But if that chunk of money is only worth it for only one of them then they'll get less money.

A separate topic would be what Take 2 or the big publishers think about the 'day one on GP/could gaming' strategy, pretty likely all of them are against it and putting their games there, but they understand that MS may want to do so.

Last edited:
  • haha

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Sony has over 2:1 advantage wordwide, and 4:1 in Europe. For AAA publishers it would be better to have a stronger Xbox that offers more competition to Sony.

That would be a bigger market for them so they could sell more games, and also would pretty likely to have more opportunities of getting deals with platform holders and in better conditions.

It would be even better for Sony fanboys, because a Sony with stronger competition would work harder and bet harder so would deliver more and better games, hardware and services in terms of quality or pricing etc.
I personally don't think MS should be granted ownership of all these publishers just for some hypothetical scenarios that may or may not be beneficial.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

I mean, Take 2 would prefer to have two console makers for who is profitable to pay a huge amount of money for the GTA6 marketing. They would bid and Take 2 would get more money for the deal. But if that chunk of money is only worth it for only one of them then they'll get less money.
There’s no world where Microsoft being a leader in any segment is good. They suck at everything they do, including OS and Office. But they strong arm the market into using their bad software and companies have no other choice.
So, no, MS has to keep being in last place.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
There’s no world where Microsoft being a leader in any segment is good. They suck at everything they do, including OS and Office. But they strong arm the market into using their bad software and companies have no other choice.
I didn't say that they'd want MS being market leader. I said they'd prefer MS to be more competitive, closer to (but still behind) Sony.

• haha

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Windows and Office are the type of products you rarely have a say if you are going to support it or not, comes with new laptops (where most of the time you have no choice but to pay for it), your school buys, your government buys, your college buys it, your work requires it, they all get suckered/bribed into paying for unnecessary software and people get conditioned to using it.

Humanity being held hostage by shitty software due to corruption and lack of regulation.