Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Acquiescence

2 Oct 2022
Capture_decran_2023-06-17_a_20.26.54.png

The thread's one voice of reason has had enough. Toxic asshole gremlinz and his wall of texts have pushed him out of the thread.

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
Microsoft is very confident in closing the deal they are already speaking about future plans.

This definitely looks like they think this is going to go the same way as the gamers case. I just find it odd that only MS is being vocal on everything but ABK rarely ever says anything at all about this.

Last edited:

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Microsoft is very confident in closing the deal they are already speaking about future plans.

So basically everything remaining the same as currently...why buy them, then?

I mean we know the real reason: to buff the Xbox division revenue and use gaming even more as a trojan horse to grow Azure cloud (such as further "strategic partnerships" like the one with Sega/Atlus) and break into the Apple & Google ecosystems (but avoiding paying them their 30% cuts...funny enough MS have no problem giving Valve their 30% on game software sales).

But it also just shows how little they probably have to offer in terms of growing the acquired assets and helping them strive for bigger & better games, quality etc. The more gaming devs they acquire, the more their focus and attention is fractured by those total amount of teams, and it's not impossible for MS to run into the same problems we're seeing Embracer Group go through now in terms of growing too fast for their own good.

Jawmuncher definitely is one

Felt as such given other stuff they have posted on the forum. For whatever reason the mods & admin there have a preference for Xbox that always seems to turn into a bias against PlayStation.

You can have that preference without turning it into animosity for the competing brand. But that seems to be very difficult for people who strongly prefer Xbox to do when that other competing brand is PlayStation. Inferiority complex, perhaps?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
So the acquisition will be completed on June 29
And MS will ignore the cma
It's probably not legal for the CMA to do so, but if MS did do that, the CMA should fine them every single dollar of revenue their gaming division makes for the duration of it's existence. 😂

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
So the acquisition will be completed on June 29
And MS will ignore the cma
The deal died the moment the CMA blocked it and there is no way back for Microsoft. If they attempt to close over top in violation of UK law, they will begin a process that ends in them being broken up.

Anyway, now that gofreak is out of the Reee thread, it's safe to nuke it from orbit.

morbidviews98

Banned
14 Jun 2023
deal isnt dead. If MS defeats the FTC these coming weeks, the deal is very much alive. I think MS is too arrogant to let the deal die just from 1 country blocking it. I think the deal gets a extension if they beat the ftc or they find a way to close without breaking the UK law.

• haha
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
deal isnt dead. If MS defeats the FTC these coming weeks, the deal is very much alive. I think MS is too arrogant to let the deal die just from 1 country blocking it. I think the deal gets a extension if they beat the ftc or they find a way to close without breaking the UK law.
Considering the CMA have conditions placed on MS and ABK to not try it again for at least 10 years (lol, someone has a sense of humour in the CMA), and for neither to invest in each other without the CMA consent, I'm sure there is no way legally for MS to close the deal without breaking the UK law, unless the CMA agree to it.

Deal is as dead as my chances with Scarlett Johansson

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Not how it works. It's incredible that this narrative gets formed and perpetuated, without people stopping to think about it. UK is one of the top tech markets in the world. Pulling this past regulators would also effect MS' very other business, including Windows and Azure.

Not only that, it sends a message to other countries that they can be bullied into whatever they want and if they don't cooperate, MS pulls out their support. No company wants that. Not only would it impact their current business but they''d be jeopardizing every single other acquisition or major business move in the future, not only when it comes to Xbox but for every one of their businesses.

What you're suggesting is just a fanboy power/revenge fantasy.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Considering the CMA have conditions placed on MS and ABK to not try it again for at least 10 years (lol, someone has a sense of humour in the CMA), and for neither to invest in each other without the CMA consent, I'm sure there is no way legally for MS to close the deal without breaking the UK law, unless the CMA agree to it.

Deal is as dead as my chances with Scarlett Johansson
Basically, that prohibition means MS and Activision are not legally allowed to renegotiate terms and extending the length of the current deal doesn't help, as that deal is blocked already, and extending the timeline would reinforce that MS accepts CMA authority to boot.

It is some brilliant legal maneuvering by the CMA, as any attempt to work around them would be breaking the law in a flagrant fashion that will have every regulatory body in the world looking to break MS up.

morbidviews98

Banned
14 Jun 2023
Not how it works. It's incredible that this narrative gets formed and perpetuated, without people stopping to think about it. UK is one of the top tech markets in the world. Pulling this past regulators would also effect MS' very other business, including Windows and Azure.

Not only that, it sends a message to other countries that they can be bullied into whatever they want and if they don't cooperate, MS pulls out their support. No company wants that. Not only would it impact their current business but they''d be jeopardizing every single other acquisition or major business move in the future, not only when it comes to Xbox but for every one of their businesses.

What you're suggesting is just a fanboy power/revenge fantasy.

who said anything about MS pulling out of the UK? Never said that. They have other way to complete the deal without breaking the law. Such as moving ABK out of the UK(massive undertaking). They can also close the deal regardless of the CMA(illegal to the UK.). MS would take fines and penalties but they would have to fight the cma in a real court.

Again, if MS wins against the FTC during these upcoming weeks, CMA will be the only country in the world blocking the deal. So why would other countries care if MS closes regardless of the CMA order? Also just because they close over the CMA doesn't mean its over. CMA will sue and try to get them to break up, or settle. Happen with Meta/Giphy. Even though meta didnt close over them, they just didnt tell anyone about it before they close the deal. Meta closed before telling the CMA they're merging.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
who said anything about MS pulling out of the UK? Never said that. They have other way to complete the deal without breaking the law. Such as moving ABK out of the UK(massive undertaking). They can also close the deal regardless of the CMA(illegal to the UK.). MS would take fines and penalties but they would have to fight the cma in a real court.

Again, if MS wins against the FTC during these upcoming weeks, CMA will be the only country in the world blocking the deal. So why would other countries care if MS closes regardless of the CMA order? Also just because they close over the CMA doesn't mean its over. CMA will sue and try to get them to break up, or settle. Happen with Meta/Giphy. Even though meta didnt close over them, they just didnt tell anyone about it before they close the deal. Meta closed before telling the CMA they're merging.
The damage this would do to MS seems completely out of balance with the "benefit" of even trying it. And all over a video game company. I would just find this a really, really stupid course of action for them.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The damage this would do to MS seems completely out of balance with the "benefit" of even trying it. And all over a video game company. I would just find this a really, really stupid course of action for them.
I don't think any of what they are doing right now is anything more than testing how far they can push their behaviour with regulators for their next moves, since they know this deal is totally fucked.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Old Gamer

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
no matter what happens. The meltdown on either side will be fun to see :)
The meltdown we saw when the CMA blocked it and killed the deal definitively is still ongoing. Go entertain yourself with that.

Your hypothetical around Xbox legally closing (in the UK) would involve both parties moving their entire business out of the UK - Microsoft and ABK - and doing so independently of each other. Whoever perpetuated that horseshit about ringfencing the UK or Gamepass or cloud or Activision is again just trying to prop up the share price so institutional investors can exit their position or minimise their loss.