Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
nabbed from reeee

New report from MLex:

- According to MLex, Microsoft today received formal EU objections to the acquisition (no wonder that there were no leaks, there was nothing to leak :p)

- MS declined to confirm receiving the charge-sheet, but said that it’s determined to resolve any issues.

- MS says that "We are committed to solutions and finding a path forward for this deal. We are listening carefully to the commission's concerns and are confident we can address them."

- The CMA is expected to release its provisional findings in the coming days (early February).

I guess that now it’s more likely to get press reports during the week about the SO.
I love the optimism of MS saying they hope to resolve any concerns after the shit they pulled with the Bethesda acquisition when dealing with the same EU regulators.

They must think they’re dealing with people as gullible as AdamsApple.

Last edited:

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
nabbed from reeee

New report from MLex:

- According to MLex, Microsoft today received formal EU objections to the acquisition (no wonder that there were no leaks, there was nothing to leak :p)

- MS declined to confirm receiving the charge-sheet, but said that it’s determined to resolve any issues.

- MS says that "We are committed to solutions and finding a path forward for this deal. We are listening carefully to the commission's concerns and are confident we can address them."

- The CMA is expected to release its provisional findings in the coming days (early February).

I guess that now it’s more likely to get press reports during the week about the SO.
Depending on when they received those objections, some of the tweetstorms we've been seeing would have a lot more context added to them.

Looks like it's down to if the EU likes the remedies that MS offers and what the cma says. It seems like
the cma has been the most secretive about how they feel on the deal.

Edit: I read again and saw they just received the objections. The tweet storm may have been a reaction based on what they heard the objections were going to be in advance.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
In my observation that mlex sourceseems to have somewhat of bias in favor of Microsoft so the vagueness is the interesting part to me. Microsoft not throwing a fit is also interesting but maybe attacking the EU outright like they did the ftc would be dumb long term because they may need them again for future deals?

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
In my observation that mlex sourceseems to have somewhat of bias in favor of Microsoft so the vagueness is the interesting part to me. Microsoft not throwing a fit is also interesting but maybe attacking the EU outright like they did the ftc would be dumb long term because they may need them again for future deals?
I think the tweetstorm from the MS communications lead accusing Sony of lying to the EU MIGHT have been their version of throwing a fit depending on when they received the EU's statements and if the timeline adds up.

Edit: I read again and saw that they just received the objections. The tweet storm may have been a reaction based on what they heard the objections were going to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dabaus
D

Deleted member 417

[broken record] all microsoft (zenimax/Activision) games will be on PS5 after a period of exclusivity, and will drop on Gamepass the day they launch [/broken record]

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022

FTC continuing its track record of losses. Their only hope is to run out the timer and expect MS to back out of the deal themselves, cause they have no chance in court.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

FTC continuing its track record of losses. Their only hope is to run out the timer and expect MS to back out of the deal themselves, cause they have no chance in court.

The FTC is not the only regulatory entity, and Within Unlimited is a company valued at... $400M

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
The FTC is not the only regulatory entity, and Within Unlimited is a company valued at... $400M
Not sure personally how the whole ABK deal is going to end up in the long term, but I'd agree that the whole Meta VR thing doesn't seem similar enough to this situation. Looking at some of the articles posted a few pages back as well, a court case MIGHT not even be 100 percent of what the FTC's strategy is with regards to ABK.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Not sure personally how the whole ABK deal is going to end up in the long term, but I'd agree that the whole Meta VR thing doesn't seem similar enough to this situation. Looking at some of the articles posted a few pages back as well, a court case MIGHT not even be 100 percent of what the FTC's strategy is with regards to ABK.

My guess is that the FTC, CMA and EU Comission, will want to negotiate something with MS. That could be spinning an independent company with all the third party IP, or just COD, or even make it so that the acquisition is useless all things considered. MS will want to avoid court because a court battle means the deal will fall, pretty much.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
My guess is that the FTC, CMA and EU Comission, will want to negotiate something with MS. That could be spinning an independent company with all the third party IP, or just COD, or even make it so that the acquisition is useless all things considered. MS will want to avoid court because a court battle means the deal will fall, pretty much.
I think their strategy involves going first in an attempt to pressure another major regulatory entity into opposing the deal in a significant way, making a way for potentially 2 court battles that may or may not be worth the effort. Or they could be hoping for some kind of major concession before they approve.

Another thing I'm curious about is whether or not these regulatory bodies communicate with eachother in any way.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
I think their strategy involves going first in an attempt to pressure another major regulatory entity into opposing the deal in a significant way, making a way for potentially 2 court battles that may or may not be worth the effort. Or they could be hoping for some kind of major concession before they approve.

Another thing I'm curious about is whether or not these regulatory bodies communicate with eachother in any way.

Rumour is that the EU Commission have or is ready to present its concessions. We'll see what they are. If they are something MS can work with, they will pat themselves on the back. If it's something that absolutely sucks, I'm 110% sure there are articles ready by many publications ready to say that Sony is evil (to be released before the decision is public).

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Rumour is that the EU Commission have or is ready to present its concessions. We'll see what they are. If they are something MS can work with, they will pat themselves on the back. If it's something that absolutely sucks, I'm 110% sure there are articles ready by many publications ready to say that Sony is evil (to be released before the decision is public).
CMA are rumored to give their preliminary findings this month as well, which may include any concessions they might require.

Are the EU concessions something they would even make public at this stage?

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
CMA are rumored to give their preliminary findings this month as well, which may include any concessions they might require.

Are the EU concessions something they would even make public at this stage?

I don't think they would in an early stage, but they are quite transparent usually

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I don't think they would in an early stage, but they are quite transparent usually
I guess we could infer how major they are based on MS direct or indirect response. If there's a lot of lashing out, they may have gotten something they didn't like.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas