Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

D

Deleted member 417

Given recent history and MS’ longstanding business practices, you’re really making quite the ass of yourself by insisting MS won’t do EXACTLY WHAT THEY HAVE ALREADY DONE.

Yes, it makes no business sense to make Starfield, or COD, or anything that was multiplatform exclusive to Xbox, but that’s only if you care about making money.

Microsoft has run XBox at a huge financial loss for all but two non-consecutive quarters of its existence. They don’t care about profitability, they just want to hurt other companies in the industry, and they make enough elsewhere to absorb the loss. That is actually anticompetitive and monopolistic business practice.

Don’t be naive, anything MS buys is going to be locked into their ecosystem, sense and profit be damned.
I can understand the viewpoint that it isn't about profit, though I don't entirely agree. I do disagree with Microsoft keeping games in their ecosystem.

They want to expand Gamepass to as many people as possible, get it on as many devices as possible. If they can't get gamepass on a device, the second best option is to use said device to drive people to Gamepass. Going multi plat with games does just that.

Likewise, there is no benefit to be gained for Microsoft by keeping games exclusive beyond 6/12 months after launch. We saw this during the ps360 generation. Microsoft even crow about "Timed Exclusive!" on their E3 sizzle reels.

They don’t care about profitability, they just want to hurt other companies in the industry, and they make enough elsewhere to absorb the loss

I believe it will be 'play it first, play it free on gamepass', then it will come to Playstation. That way they hurt the industry,own the industry and make enough from other platforms to absorb the loss

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
It was! And technically Microsoft chose to honor, rather than buy out, the publishing contracts on a huge amount of already in development games from studios they brought.

edit: Cuphead was too!
It's obvious the other camp is just upset that Activision Blizzard is being potentially taken away. They would be singing a different tune if it was a different publisher buying them out.

I mean there is a thread already asking what Publisher/Studio Sony should buy next.... meanwhile earlier they were crying about "consolidation" and how it's bad for the industry. They also can't help themselves anr are always condescending.

They are not capable of having a respectful discussion and respect other people's opinions when it's a different opinion.

This forum is not a very healthy place when it comes to being able to speak your mind. The dogpiling is insane, constant flame baiting is down right annoying and the name dropping in every thread about each other is pathetic and childish. Sorry, but that's the truth.

• sad
Reactions: arvfab

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
It was! And technically Microsoft chose to honor, rather than buy out, the publishing contracts on a huge amount of already in development games from studios they brought.

edit: Cuphead was too!

Blue Dragon is also an MS held IP that also got a DS game.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It's obvious the other camp is just upset that Activision Blizzard is being potentially taken away. They would be singing a different tune if it was a different publisher buying them out.

I mean there is a thread already asking what Publisher/Studio Sony should buy next.... meanwhile earlier they were crying about "consolidation" and how it's bad for the industry. They also can't help themselves being able to have a respectful discussion and respect other people's opinions when it's a different opinion. This forum is not a very healthy place when it comes to being able to speak your mind. The dogpiling is insane, constant flame baiting is down right annoying and the name dropping in every thread about each other is pathetic and childish. Sorry, but that's the truth.
Honestly, I think the consolidation argument (and not just in regards to Xbox buying Beth/Activision) is very overplayed. Publishers rise, publishers fall, other publishers rise. Embracer has like six publishers under it, most expanding rapidly. CDP is on the verge of being the next Bethesda, Nacon has like quadrupled in size over the past half-decade, Krafton is slowly expanding, Wargaming is, or was, growing (it just got literally split in half due to IRL war,) Paradox is publishing others' games, Avalanche is self-publishing now, Focus Home and Devolver are publishing bigger games, Annapurna is trying to build something, etc.

If anything, the rise of digital has made self-publishing far easier than its ever been before.

Reactions: Elder Legend

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

I mean there is a thread already asking what Publisher/Studio Sony should buy next.... meanwhile earlier they were crying about "consolidation" and how it's bad for the industry. They also can't help themselves anr are always condescending.

They are not capable of having a respectful discussion and respect other people's opinions when it's a different opinion.

This forum is not a very healthy place when it comes to being able to speak your mind. The dogpiling is insane, constant flame baiting is down right annoying and the name dropping in every thread about each other is pathetic and childish. Sorry, but that's the truth.
My only take on the whole Sony buying things argument is that if Xbox is allowed to buy out multiple publishers and continues to do so, Sony will have to do something if they want to stay relevant as a platform and don't want to eventually end up in a situation where nothing interesting comes to their platform anymore outside of what their first party can do. I don't think there's anything wrong with speculating what their response could be or what steps they should take to prevent a scenario like that. I also believe no one cares as much about Tencent or Embracer buying things because those games are presumed to stay multiplat.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
My only take on the whole Sony buying things argument is that if Xbox is allowed to buy out multiple publishers and continues to do so, Sony will have to do something if they want to stay relevant as a platform and don't want to eventually end up in a situation where nothing interesting comes to their platform anymore. I think no one cares as much about Tencent or Embracer buying things because those games are presumed to stay multiplat.
The problem, to me anyway, is that that isn't how the game companies think. Their actual worries are about release droughts. As long as Sony's existing studios can keep releasing games regularly (plus occasional bouts of purchased exclusivity) they don't need to worry about adding more in. Microsoft does have to worry, but only because they've failed to get their pipeline going (and because they are selling Gamepass more than Xbox they need first party releases even more since they want to sell subs more than units.)

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
My only take on the whole Sony buying things argument is that if Xbox is allowed to buy out multiple publishers and continues to do so, Sony will have to do something if they want to stay relevant as a platform and don't want to eventually end up in a situation where nothing interesting comes to their platform anymore outside of what their first party can do. I don't think there's anything wrong with speculating what their response could be or what steps they should take to prevent a scenario like that. I also believe no one cares as much about Tencent or Embracer buying things because those games are presumed to stay multiplat.
Oh yeah, that's no question - if they want to stay competitive they'll be forced to buy something as well, that's no brainer. I was just simply stating the hypocrsy of some people (without mentioning their names in regards to industry consolidation) When MS started buying stuff, Sony started opening up new studios and buying out some as well like Bungie and stuff, but I mean that made perfect business sense.

Capcom I think would be also very good for Sony. Honestly, they have a lot of options, Square, Capcom, or From Software. A lot of these have a ton of history with Sony, and any could easily work and bring lots of good things to the table.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

I for one am extremely upset at the takeover, Games that have been on many a platform are now being taken away for no other reasons than control and greed

Do you seriously expect people to be happy with what Microsoft is doing? Gamers are passionate people and to see their favorites franchises that they have had access to for years to suddenly disappear, that is not going to wash.

As for dogpiling, we have quite a few trolls on this site that love to stir the pot, you included.

Don't forget you said that you were happily trolling people on the discord channel just to get a reaction.

A few days later you were trying to advise people to put people on ignore, at the same time you were getting banned on gaf for the same reasons you're trying to preach against.

I find your stance very strange on things, sometimes you make sense, and other times you are acting completely differently.

Will the real Slim shady stand up please.

the real slim shady eminem GIF

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
I for one am extremely upset at the takeover, Games that have been on many a platform are now being taken away for no other reasons than control and greed

Do you seriously expect people to be happy with what Microsoft is doing? Gamers are passionate people and to see their favorites franchises that they have had access to for years to suddenly disappear, that is not going to wash.

As for dogpiling, we have quite a few trolls on this site that love to stir the pot, you included.

Don't forget you said that you were happily trolling people on the discord channel just to get a reaction.

A few days later you were trying to advise people to put people on ignore, at the same time you were getting banned on gaf for the same reasons you're trying to preach against.

I find your stance very strange on things, sometimes you make sense, and other times you are acting completely differently.

Will the real Slim shady stand up please.

the real slim shady eminem GIF
At first I was trying to have a genuine discussions with people but certain members were not having any of it. Instead, they preferred the dogpile method and name calling. At that point I decided to troll them on Discord because it was obvious what they were trying to do and how emotional they were getting over a plastic box. It didn't matter what I said or not, they were never going to agree anyway whether I was trolling or not. I was already an enemy in their eyes because I was not agreeing to their opinions and beliefs of their favorite plastic box, so do not even go there.

If you are so oblivious to their manipulation tactics and childish tantrums that's not my fault. Learn to read and observe people better.

Also, I am not sure what Gaf has to do Icon. Why are you giving free advertising to the other forum? Isn't that against the rules? You can find my stance in whichever way you wish, I do not really care what people think of me. I know who I am in my life and what I do in my life.

You are a strange person dude. On certain days you are a dick to me, on other days you, you act all nice and DM me and ask me questions about my experiences in the industry. Which one are you sticking with Billy Bob? Pick your poison.

Anyways back on topic - You can be upset at the consolidation all you want, but that's the reality and that's where the industry is heading. Microsoft and Sony are not the only ones buying stuff out. Also, consolidation is not the end of the industry, new companies will also open up and flourish. People are acting like this is the end of the world. Open up your eyes and try to see the bigger picture. If you do not like where its heading then quit the hobby and do something else in life. No one is stopping you.

Last edited:

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Oh yeah, that's no question - if they want to stay competitive they'll be forced to buy something as well, that's no brainer. I was just simply stating the hypocrsy of some people (without mentioning their names in regards to industry consolidation) When MS started buying stuff, Sony started opening up new studios and buying out some as well like Bungie and stuff, but I mean that made perfect business sense.

Capcom I think would be also very good for Sony. Honestly, they have a lot of options, Square, Capcom, or From Software. A lot of these have a ton of history with Sony, and any could easily work and bring lots of good things to the table.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the potential arms race situation, but if it comes to that, there are some Japanese devs I think Sony could use since they already have talented western devs.

Banana

10 Jan 2023
I think that last interview with phil spencer on ign shows that their focus is now a service and they want to get into phones. Like Sony, they're just trying to make more money by services and the expansion to mobile.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
At first I was trying to have a genuine discussions with people but certain members were not having any of it. Instead, they preferred the dogpile method and name calling. At that point I decided to troll them on Discord because it was obvious what they were trying to do and how emotional they were getting over a plastic box. It didn't matter what I said or not, they were never going to agree anyway whether I was trolling or not. I was already an enemy in their eyes because I was not agreeing to their opinions and beliefs of their favorite plastic box, so do not even go there.

If you are so oblivious to their manipulation tactics and childish tantrums that's not my fault. Learn to read and observe people better.

Also, I am not sure what Gaf has to do Icon. Why are you giving free advertising to the other forum? Isn't that against the rules? You can find my stance in whichever way you wish, I do not really care what people think of me. I know who I am in my life and what I do in my life.

You are a strange person dude. On certain days you are a dick to me, on other days you, you act all nice and DM me and ask me questions about my experiences in the industry. Which one are you sticking with Billy Bob? Pick your poison.

Anyways back on topic - You can be upset at the consolidation all you want, but that's the reality and that's where the industry is heading. Microsoft and Sony are not the only ones buying stuff out. Also, consolidation is not the end of the industry, new companies will also open up and flourish. People are acting like this is the end of the world. Open up your eyes and try to see the bigger picture. If you do not like where its heading then quit the hobby and do something else in life. No one is stopping you.
I am pretty fair to most people I chat too, i enjoy the banter.

You should talk to some of the people i like most on this site and i even try to rip them a new one now and again, my having fun with people is not exclusive to one group of people.

I never mean any harm by any of it, just like i called you a furry when you first joined, you should go through the welcome thread, most of my meet-and-greets are just fun little things, that mean nothing

As for Gaf, I think it's very obvious why that comparison comes up, if you are getting banned for trolling over there but trying to report everyone and their cousin over here for the same things, there is some hypocrisy at work there, i am sure you can see that.

And yes i speak to many many people in private messages, outside of these forums, i don't think we should take the world of gaming too seriously.

As for the bigger picture, Tell me how i should open my eyes when games like Quake, elder scrolls, a new dishonored, doom and even starfield are getting taken away from me?

I am a consumer not a shareholder,

Last edited:
OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Sad Monsters Inc GIF by filmeditor

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
I am pretty fair to most people I chat too, i enjoy the banter.

You should talk to some of the people i like most on this site and i even try to rip them a new one now and again, my having fun with people is not exclusive to one group of people.

I never mean any harm by any of it, just like i called you a furry when you first joined, you should go through the welcome thread, most of my meet-and-greets are just fun little things, that mean nothing

As for Gaf, I think it's very obvious why that comparison comes up, if you are getting banned for trolling over there but trying to report everyone and their cousin over here for the same things, there is some hypocrisy at work there, i am sure you can see that.

And yes i speak to many many people in private messages, outside of these forums, i don't think we should take the world of gaming too seriously.

As for the bigger picture, Tell me how i should open my eyes when games like Quake, elder scrolls, a new dishonored, doom and even starfield are getting taken away from me?

I am a consumer not a shareholder,
Dude go buy a PC. Even Sony "exclusives" come to PC a year or so later. I don't see people crying about Sony having exclusives only on their platforms. I don't see you crying about Spiderman 2, Wolverine or whatever else is only on the PS platform day 1. Xbox titles are on PC day 1, meanwhile Sony makes you wait. Who's taking things away from you? Sell all your systems and go buy a decked out PC. Or save some money and buy the Series X instesd and get Game Pass and you'll get all those games you mentioned without spending $70 every time.

I never cried about Bloodborne on PC. I gladly purchase the ps4 for it cause it's a great game and it was worth it for me. If you don't have money to purchase something you can't blame anyone for it. I want a lamborghini, but i don't have money right now to buy one. So what? Tough shit. Get over it, go get a 2nd job or find something to do online and go make money. Stop bitching.

Last edited:

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Dude go buy a PC. Even Sony "exclusives" come to PC a year or so later. I don't see people crying about Sony having exclusives only on their platforms. I don't see you crying about Spiderman 2, Wolverine or whatever else is only on the PS platform day 1. Xbox titles are on PC day 1, meanwhile Sony makes you wait. Who's taking things away from you? Sell all your systems and go buy a decked out PC. Or save some money and buy the Series X instesd and get Game Pass and you'll get all those games you mentioned without spending $70 every time.

I never cried about Bloodborne on PC. I gladly purchase the ps4 for it cause it's a great game and it was worth it for me. If you don't have money to purchase something you can't blame anyone for it. I want a lamborghini, but i don't have money right now to buy one. So what? Tough shit. Get over it, go get a 2nd job or find something to do online and go make money. Stop bitching.
yep, i think we are at two different ends of the spectrum when dealing with this issue, Your reply above shows just how short-sighted you are being in this regard.

You do you (y)

The end.

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
yep, i think we are at two different ends of the spectrum when dealing with this issue, Your reply above shows just how short-sighted you are being in this regard.

You do you (y)

The end.
What issue? There is no issue. The only ones creating issues are the ones talking about something they do not like. There is a lot of things I do not like either, but oh well. I don't sit and cry about it.